• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice Thief getting reworked a lot. I also bet it's their favorite class, apparently it's broken in PvP.

Poor engineer ;_;

It's just hard to balance for their goals. It's intended to be squishy yet hit hard, but can't hit TOO hard because of the stealth/escape mechanics built in. They can't allow it to do Condi's too powerfully because then it usurps Necros and they can't let it strip boons too efficiently again because of mobility and stealth, making it too strong against boon dependent builds.

Once you do all that though, the class is average at DPS and still squishy, which doesn't really work either. I'm really not confident in it ever reaching a solid place for very long. And that's not a knock against Anet at all. They've been really careful with their attempts to balance it and I appreciate that. It's just really difficult.

Complistic

Right now in sPvP, I have no idea what the Necro meta is, other than every time I come up against one it's hidden somewhere in a cloud of minions. And heaven help me if there are two, or three, on a team. And they're always the smallest size Asura.

Necros can pretty much do whatever they like right now. I wouldn't say we're OP, but we have a lot of options that are viable.

That said, I'm absolutely terrifying in wvw with my condition build. I will outlast you, and you will die from 1000 cuts before you get me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
By the way, thanks for the guild invite!

Though I was right, everyone's in Stormbluff Isle lol

It's just hard to balance for their goals. It's intended to be squishy yet hit hard, but can't hit TOO hard because of the stealth/escape mechanics built in. They can't allow it to do Condi's too powerfully because then it usurps Necros and they can't let it strip boons too efficiently again because of mobility and stealth, making it too strong against boon dependent builds.

Once you do all that though, the class is average at DPS and still squishy, which doesn't really work either. I'm really not confident in it ever reaching a solid place for very long. And that's not a knock against Anet at all. They've been really careful with their attempts to balance it and I appreciate that. It's just really difficult.

Yeah I was kinda surprised when I made a thief since I recall testing one before and it didn't function like that last time.

Proven

Right now in sPvP, I have no idea what the Necro meta is, other than every time I come up against one it's hidden somewhere in a cloud of minions. And heaven help me if there are two, or three, on a team. And they're always the smallest size Asura.

Necros can pretty much do whatever they like right now. I wouldn't say we're OP, but we have a lot of options that are viable.

That said, I'm absolutely terrifying in wvw with my condition build. I will outlast you, and you will die from 1000 cuts before you get me.

Yep. For solo purposes (hotjoin and solo queue) it's Condi > Minion > Power. Their quantitative values vary but they're all at least decent and fun to play (although the first two are hella annoying). I'm in the Power Necro camp.

How are condition necros a burst class >.<;

I mean, you do alot of damage, but its not instant!

Warrior burst and S/D Thief burst take a number of hits to happen. Within 5-10 seconds you'll be dead if you depend on just basic movement and a few dodges. With Condi Necro you can currently stack 5 Torment, 10+ Bleeding, Poison, Burning, and Terror (over 1k damage alone). Five seconds later, you tend to fall over.

jersoc

Bit late on this cause fucking saints row 4 is incredible good fun.

I really like the spvp changes. Those could honestly get me to play some games. Especially if they make new gametypes.

swnny

The balance problem with the thief, is that there is no counter play to stealth. There is only ONE (!) skill, Ranger's Sick 'Em, that if timed properly, can counter stealthing. We need more skills/traits to apply Reveal or other ways to deny the opponent to stealth whenever he wants.

As for the necro, it was overbuffed with all that condition damage, duration and fast reapply. At first the necro was really squishy and it didn't had any survivability, nor damage output, not even condicontrol. Now it have all of them, with condi being the worse.

The overall balance problem is the fact, that Anet have no idea what they are doing.
Firstly, they want to balance the same skills on 3 completely different game types - PvE, WvW and PvP. Splitting the skills' core functionality for every game type will not feel good among anyone, who is constantly jumping with the same profession from PvE to PvP to WvW. But what's the problem in adjusting the numbers(be it raw damage, boon/condi durations, etc) in said skills?

And secondly, Anet's "Balance Team" biggest flaw is that they do not consider previous balance changes, when they make new. That is huge, yet overlooked. That way they are locking out whole professions (not just certain builds) out of content. For example -
the warrior in sPvP, from the latest beta to early after the release, Warriors in sPvP were beasts (mostly the bull's charge hundred blades), while the Elementalists were so squishy, without any survivability or damage.

Then they nerfed a bit warriors, and uped ele's survivability through the water trait line, which also gave them good sustained damage and perma fury and with some adjustments to the other professions rendered warriors completely useless in sPvP for good 8 months(!). While ele was godlike - really hard to kill, with great mobility and good damage.

Then, they start to nerf ele's mobility and survivability(by reducing healing and boon duration), and also giving other professions other ways to deal with certain setups (like thief's larcenous strike, or warrior's destruction of the empowered). Now ele's completly useless in sPvP, because it cannot survive the constant condi pressure, and do not have the damage output to get past the passive healing.

Same thing happened to engies and mesmers, or happening now to necros and rangers. Rangers, for example had really great berserker build with shorbow and good bleeding. Then they nerfed it slower crossfire, less critical damage, and on top of that they made retaliation and weakness changes, that completely destroyed rangers. They were useless for good few months, until changes to spirits in summer.

In short - Anet have a specific meta profession, that outshines the others and they are nerfing said meta. But in the same time they make changes to other professions to counter the already nerfed meta spec. This results in constantly having really viable and must have professions, and on the other hand - a profession or two, that are completely useless and you are handicaping yourself (and the team) for bringing along.

Just saw this message in my mail box:

Rk21gvN.png

Is this legit or is it phishing?

Wintersday preview up: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/december-10-2013/

Ascended armor is the big ticket item.

Looks like all of last year's goodies are back, the Tower/Toxic Alliance stuff will continue through this patch.

Damn you! Been refreshing the page on my phone to try and be the first one but you beat me. Hate you even more.

I really thought that the Tower Antitoxin bar would be filled by the 10th which would mean something would change.

So many interesting things on this update.
- Holiday stuff
- Ascended Armours
- New skills for every profession
- Balance changes

Looks very interesting. Happy I am off a lot during December.

Kq37hCA.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ascended armor is easily the biggest change. Wonder how much mats you'll need to get full ascended armor.
No idea on that, but having seen the stat differential I believe the amount will be "lots of gold in Hawkian's pocket" much.

Taffer

I bought two set of cultural armour while levelling my guard and I'm wondering what stat distribution to put on the second set. Currently wearing zerker gear (my only zerk character is a guardian!), what other sets might be fun?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I bought two set of cultural armour while levelling my guard and I'm wondering what stat distribution to put on the second set. Currently wearing zerker gear (my only zerk character is a guardian!), what other sets might be fun?
A nice soldier's set on a guard never hurt anybody!

Proven

Wintersday preview up: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/december-10-2013/

Ascended armor is the big ticket item.

Looks like all of last year's goodies are back, the Tower/Toxic Alliance stuff will continue through this patch.

I'm glad that unlike Halloween missing Reaper's Rumble, we get Snowball fights and Toypocalypse back.

Okay, so since last night people have mentioned that there were data mined heal skills from who knows how long ago (source on reddit says he got the info from October). Some people are saying these are the heal skills coming out. I'm not so sure, because yesterday during the Edge of the Mists test I consistently saw Grawl type enemies use the proposed Warrior one as a defensive skill.

At the same time, they probably did get put in the game at the point they started testing them for live... So the skills may be real they also are very likely not the final product.

Anyway, here's the most recent thread on it: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Discussion-The-New-Heals-Heals-included

Edit: Thread got deleted. Original source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/..._healing_skills_previewed_this_friday/cdsiaax

And the skills:

Ranger
-Water Spirit: Spirit. Summon a water spirit that grants nearby allies a chance to heal when attacking. Aqua Surge: Heal yourself and cause your water spirit to heal nearby allies.
Necromancer
-Signet of Vampirism: Signet Passive: Siphon life from enemies that strike you. Signet Active: Mark an enemy. Allied players will steal life from that enemy.
Mesmer
-Signet of the Ether: Signet Passive: Heal yourself based on the number of active illusions you control. Signet Active: Heal yourself and refresh all phantasm skill recharges.
Guardian
-Litany of Wrath: Meditation. Heal yourself. For a brief time, you heal each time you strike an enemy, based on a percentage of damage dealt.
Engineer
-A.E.D.: Gadget. Activate your A.E.D., enabling the system to heal you after a brief period of time. If your health drops below 1%, you are healed for a massive amount and your A.E.D. is deactivated. Static Shock: Use your A.E.D. to stun an enemy.
Elementalist
-Arcane Brilliance: Arcane. Blast the target area, hitting foes with critical damage and healing yourself. Healing effectiveness is increased per target hit.
Thief
-Skelk Venom: Venom. Your next few attacks heal you.
Warrior
-Defiant Stance: Stance. Absorb all incoming strikes for a period of time. All incoming attacks heal you.

Most of them are actually underpowered with the game's current state (at the same time, balance patch). All of them sound like they were designed with utility/trait synergy in mind. The Necromancer one especially irks me because not only does it follow the Necro trend of having a reverse skill/trait just because, I don't think it'll make Signet Power Necromancers a thing unless they buff a trait or two. At the same time, even though half the reason I was so disappointed with them was because you can't heal your regular health pool in death shroud, I'm not sure if I can resist the siren song of the Vampiric Necro that made me want to play the class. Bah.

Engineer
-A.E.D.: Gadget. Activate your A.E.D., enabling the system to heal you after a brief period of time. If your health drops below 1%, you are healed for a massive amount and your A.E.D. is deactivated. Static Shock: Use your A.E.D. to stun an enemy.

48003-colbert-gimme-gif-QRuM.gif

Complistic

Dat necro signet.

Consume conditions sorta goes against my build (I just transfer my conditions to enemies) so I'm certainly going to give that signet a go.

Asd202

The Thief healing skill is stupid why would I limit my healing to only when I'm attacking? Oh it will be meant to be used with venom sharing still not a fan.

I just like it because it's like a Second Wind. I could Rocket Boot into some *real* danger and know that even if I get smacked with an insta-kill burst, I've got an *additional* failsafe, in addition to Elixir S traiting. I do need to see how it works in combination with Self-Regulating Defenses, but I imagine it'd be like this, depending on burst.

Smacked, below 25%, Self-Regulating Defenses shrinks me, size restored, still under fire, AED saves me when health hits 1% (depending on how much it heals).

Unless the burst takes me to 1% instantly, then what? Usually a 100% burst goes right through SRD, and it doesnt' even trigger. If AED can act as a failsafe there too, that'd be *great* for PvP.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with it.

Nothing could replace Healing Turret, but I don't run Healing Turret 100% of the time anyway. What kind of Engineer never changes his Utility skills? I swap them almost hourly. You don't buy a Swiss Army Knife just so you can only use the toothpick :p

I just like it because it's like a Second Wind. I could Rocket Boot into some *real* danger and know that even if I get smacked with an insta-kill burst, I've got an *additional* failsafe, in addition to Elixir S traiting. I do need to see how it works in combination with Self-Regulating Defenses, but I imagine it'd be like this, depending on burst.

Smacked, below 25%, Self-Regulating Defenses shrinks me, size restored, still under fire, AED saves me when health hits 1% (depending on how much it heals).

Unless the burst takes me to 1% instantly, then what? Usually a 100% burst goes right through SRD, and it doesnt' even trigger. If AED can act as a failsafe there too, that'd be *great* for PvP.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with it.

Nothing could replace Healing Turret, but I don't run Healing Turret 100% of the time anyway. What kind of Engineer never changes his Utility skills? I swap them almost hourly. You don't buy a Swiss Army Knife just so you can only use the toothpick :p

I never change my healing skill.

My utilities sometime but usually just run Bomb Kit, Grenade Kit and Tool kit/Elixer Gun.

I'm also the worst Engineer you will ever meet.

PS.

Can you show up to a GAF Guild Mission run sometime and take awesome screenshots of us all?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Very much hoping these are real; thanks Proven for the post.

Depending on the cooldown I'm completely sold on that Mesmer healing signet. I could use it in all my builds.

The Ele skill is absolutely eerily perfect for the build I am working on but I'd stick with others for my other specs.

The Thief skill is completely useless to me and most thieves, but will make a fun addition for pure Venomous Aura builds.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm laughing so much at Defiant Stance
More power for Zerkers

Maybe in PvE. First, absorb doesn't necessarily mean invulnerability; if it does there will be a huge cooldown. Second, I doubt it will prevent condition application (then again there's a stance for that too).

I could potentially see huge application for this in blob v blob, if the healing is based on duration and not limited in number of attacks.

I am very interested in the engie and mesmer ones too. However as others have mentioned, the traits that trigger at a percentage of health are notoriously poorly programmed. Based on those traits, activation at 1% would fail 100% of the time. And ele would work for me too, but Ether Renewal is already awesome.

Arkanius

Maybe in PvE. First, absorb doesn't necessarily mean invulnerability; if it does there will be a huge cooldown. Second, I doubt it will prevent condition application (then again there's a stance for that too).

I could potentially see huge application for this in blob v blob, if the healing is based on duration and not limited in number of attacks.

I am very interested in the engie and mesmer ones too. However as others have mentioned, the traits that trigger at a percentage of health are notoriously poorly programmed. Based on those traits, activation at 1% would fail 100% of the time. And ele would work for me too, but Ether Renewal is already awesome.

I'm assuming it works like it did on Guild Wars 1 for stances.
During X time, any damage is converted as healing damage.

Finally finishing up my Citadel of Flame gear set today after work! I doubt I'll do the grind for ascended gear. I think I perform fine without it. Cool for people who want something to work toward though.

Can I get an invite into the guild? I'm already on Stormbluff Isle.

My account: Edvardelis.5824

I have a level 74 Thief. I may or may not finish getting to 80, the class seems to get clobbered by the PvP/PvE split a lot.

I also have a level 80 Mesmer, though I don't have any gear other than level 80 greens at this point.

I have a level 74 Thief. I may or may not finish getting to 80, the class seems to get clobbered by the PvP/PvE split a lot.

I also have a level 80 Mesmer, though I don't have any gear other than level 80 greens at this point.

At work right now but when I get home I'll add you, unless one of the other officers gets you before that.

Welcome to the guild. If you have any questions just ask here most people are very friendly and helpful.

Y'know, I'm being dumb. I'm always posting here. I should join the GAF guild too.

Miktar.4290

What? I thought you were in it already just you had another guild on a different server that you represented all the time.

Will add you as well when I get a chance.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I will also try and add you when I get home if you haven't yet been. Way to rep SBI.

Thieves are awesome by the way! If you have any questions about the class feel free to post. Definitely possible the class just isn't for you; I was enamored long before level 74. ;)
Y'know, I'm being dumb. I'm always posting here. I should join the GAF guild too.

Miktar.4290
Woohoo, welcome!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
isn't that ranger heal too similar to its lv40 tree spirit?

Remember, you can guest over to 2 different servers in any 24 hour period. The only thing that doesn't work for is wvw and spvp.

Never tried guesting. How does it works?

Surprisingly well. At the character select screen, you click the World button. Choose one, click Guest. Then choose a character and log in. You'll be on that World. You can't WvW and sPvP, but everything else works the same. (Although you earn Influence for the instance of the guild you're representing, on that world, not your homeworld? I've not checked this in a while, so if someone could confirm.)

You can do this for up two servers. If you've guested to two servers in a 24 hour period, you're "locked" into those until they expire. Meaning, you can't guest to another server, until one of the others has timed out.

When you log out, you'll be set back to your home realm, so if you want to go back to the one you're guesting on, be sure to select it on the worlds screen again.

Thieves are awesome by the way! If you have any questions about the class feel free to post. Definitely possible the class just isn't for you; I was enamored long before level 74. ;)

It's not that I don't like the class, I'm just not fond of the complaints against it along with the constant changes. Stealth is just hard to balance.

Guesting is very easy.
All you do is go to character select screen, press world selection and choose a server, then press Guest. Once you do this and you close that window you character will log into that server and will stay there until you return to character screen which will reset you back to your home server.

You can choose 2 guest servers every 24 hours but you always have to go to world selection and select it so you can go into that server.

Proven

One nitpick, guesting doesn't really effect PvP. I have to double check to see if they now disallow you from entering another server's Heart of the Mists for some reason (wasn't like that at launch but I haven't checked since guesting finally started working but I doubt they changed it since you could "guest" through parties beforehand).

Also, when it comes to actual PvP servers, you're matched with people all over the NA or EU region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom