• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Question, how was this year's October event? I remember having great time doing all the event leading The Mad King dungeon instance; unfortunately I had to miss this year's event. Hopefully winter's day should be more of the same as well... Also hello! haha..
Two week updates means it was a ghost town before Halloween even came around.

I guess it didn't help that there wasn't anything interesting to do either.

Complistic

It was busy for the 2 weeks it had before the next update that actually featured some new stuff. The labyrinth was the same as last year, although they did change the events that happened inside of it. The clock tower was largely unchanged as well. Still had fun with that update.

You making that mesmer for ebay and yaks? My thiefs level 30.
ty based anet for the auto level 20 scrolls
I don't know...might just make a gurdian since it's something I would want to play in PvE aswell. I might just stick to engi for WvW roaming with you.

GW2 live streams from 12-3/4 pm pst today. Should be interesting.

People on Reddit are talking about their rewards from the WvW Season 1 chest, but I've no idea where one goes to get it, or if it gets mailed out?

nataku

People on Reddit are talking about their rewards from the WvW Season 1 chest, but I've no idea where one goes to get it, or if it gets mailed out?

Based on what I'm reading I'm glad I didn't waste my time on that. So underwhelming for the length of time the season lasted.

Hedge

Based on what I'm reading I'm glad I didn't waste my time on that. So underwhelming for the length of time the season lasted.

Yeah, the reward was terrible. I'm glad I didn't put myself through that. I think the best thing in that chest was like.. 5 tomes of knowledge.

Rewards are always terrible. Especially in Guild Wars 2. No reward that isn't a free 1000 Legendaries, is horrible, according to the community.

I played WvW to play it, and I get free stuff now at the end for having done it, so I'm happy.

But where do you *get* the chest?

docbon

People joked on the sbi teamspeak about the chest dropping ascended mats and greens. As if we don't have mountains of this garbage already.

Turns out, for most servers, they're right.

What an awful reward.

kiriin

Well hello! Are you/wanna be a member of the guild? If you're in NA anyway, just post a character or account name.

Thanks! Already in a main guid but dont mind repping/guesting to SBI most of the time, unless the guild require full rep? Also cant really contribute much with wvw either, Im in FA :p.

Ashodin

People joked on the sbi teamspeak about the chest dropping ascended mats and greens. As if we don't have mountains of this garbage already.

Turns out, for most servers, they're right.

What an awful reward.

lololol

Edge of the Mists is the future

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks! Already in a main guid but dont mind repping/guesting to SBI most of the time, unless the guild require full rep? Also cant really contribute much with wvw either, Im in FA :p.
No requirements. Feel free to join and rep as much or as little as you like.

Rewards are always terrible. Especially in Guild Wars 2. No reward that isn't a free 1000 Legendaries, is horrible, according to the community.

I played WvW to play it, and I get free stuff now at the end for having done it, so I'm happy.

But where do you *get* the chest?

I guess people were expecting precursors for a meta-achievement that was easily doable in one weekend, lol.

docbon

Yes, people aren't happy with the reward because it isn't a stack of precursors and legendaries. It's not like the other meta achievements had a cool skin at the very least.

We should be happy to get more greens, skill points, and bloodstone dust to add to our infinite stacks.

Yes, people aren't happy with the reward because it isn't a stack of precursors and legendaries. It's not like the other meta achievements had a cool skin at the very least.

We should be happy to get more greens, skill points, and bloodstone dust to add to our infinite stacks.

Only #1 server in Gold League get precursors.

Ashodin

bu bu bu you need them for ascended armor next week which will set the goal posts even further on who can or can't WVW!

Atrophis

Season 1 over tonight? Man time flies. Haven't been able to play for about a month due to some personal issues so won't get my WvW achievs done now. Ah well. I will try and get my GW2 mojo back soon (ironic considering my last post in this thread).

And if it was a skin, people would complain that it's "just another lame skin Barbie Wars 2 wah".

Face it - you just cannot please some people.

Arcteryx

The best part of those WvW rewards (especially for first): the transfers.

AHAHAHHAAHAHAHA enjoy your junk you could easily have gotten in a few dungeon/fractal runs, all the while dumping tons of gold on a transfer.

So many tears on the forums over the first place rewards. I figured they would be a major let down so I didn't even bother, but I'm especially glad I didn't now.
Some of those achievements were definitely a grind for anyone who wasn't into roaming/JPs or certain maps(EB).

One would think that the inaugural season would have some kind of "permanent" reward(be it a finisher, skin, or whatever; the title is likely to be repeated and it wasn't reward specific either).
Just goes to show that, aside from PvP, WvW has the worst rewards of the different aspects of the game.

I think the sheer amount of easy AP the Season 1 achievements gave, if you just played WvW as a matter of course, was reward enough. I do worry though about people who just can't seem to enjoy themselves unless they're being rewarded. Would such people have ever survived in games before all this golden carrot stuff? When the reward for playing, was being able to play in the first place, and having such things to play.

Perhaps I'm just getting too old, but man, some people on Reddit sound so... spoiled. "Wah, I put in all this time, and I get NOTHING". What, playing the game wasn't fun?

WvW is already a loot and karma farm, dropping stupid amounts of chests if you're in a constant capture zerg, and you can level alts stupid fast with little effort. But the whining for "I wanted to be economically compensated for my time" just smacks of entitlement.

Perhaps they should stop playing.

EDIT: NA hasn't reset yet, so nobody on NA has their chests yet. There's the answer I was looking for. All the people who've gotten their chests are EU, which resets early.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Doc I'm so sorry, I don't think anyone is getting any bloodstone dust :'(
Charrdian is already a thing, sorry.
Yes, I have one. He likes balls of yarn but has to hide this fact from his warband.

Arcteryx

I think the sheer amount of easy AP the Season 1 achievements gave, if you just played WvW as a matter of course, was reward enough. I do worry though about people who just can't seem to enjoy themselves unless they're being rewarded. Would such people have ever survived in games before all this golden carrot stuff? When the reward for playing, was being able to play in the first place, and having such things to play.

Perhaps I'm just getting too old, but man, some people on Reddit sound so... spoiled. "Wah, I put in all this time, and I get NOTHING". What, playing the game wasn't fun?

WvW is already a loot and karma farm, dropping stupid amounts of chests if you're in a constant capture zerg, and you can level alts stupid fast with little effort. But the whining for "I wanted to be economically compensated for my time" just smacks of entitlement.

Perhaps they should stop playing.

EDIT: NA hasn't reset yet, so nobody on NA has their chests yet. There's the answer I was looking for. All the people who've gotten their chests are EU, which resets early.

I see it as equal rewards for time spent. That's why ANet is instituting gold rewards for PvP.

When you sink 40+ hrs into something and get rewards you could probably have amassed in ~ less than 2 hrs in PvE...I think that's cause for concern. Granted, my beef is more along the lines of permanent rewards, but I still understand the people who want things more in line with other aspects of the game. Yes, you can karma train/boost alts, but you can also do that FAR faster in PvE(arguably more fun as well and less damaging to your server) with things like crafting/Fractals(-10/+10 your level).

When you sink 40+ hrs into something and get rewards you could probably have amassed in ~ less than 2 hrs in PvE...I think that's cause for concern.

But that's ignoring what you got in those 40 hours. People *fill inventories* every 30 minutes in WvW, that's why the bagzzzz-train is such a thing. Long before Queensdale and Frostgorge, WvW was *the* place to be for loot and karma.

I get more out of 2 hours in WvW, than I do in 2 hours of PvE, especially since it's 2 hours of brainless zerging in WvW, instead of doing dungeons that require a certain amount of investment and dealing with PuGs, zerk warriors roid rage, etc.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I can totally jive with people wanting to feel properly compensated. But I've yet to see a single actual suggestion on what that should have been, other than things that would just tick off even more people (skinz! So we can all look the same!), etc. Something permanent would have been nice, to celebrate the inaugural season, sure. Anet should have done that.

But the whining. Disproportional response doesn't even begin to describe it.

Arcteryx

But that's ignoring what you got in those 40 hours. People *fill inventories* every 30 minutes in WvW, that's why the bagzzzz-train is such a thing. Long before Queensdale and Frostgorge, WvW was *the* place to be for loot and karma.

Sorry, but no. The loot you can make per hr in WvW is tiny compared to PvE. Has it improved somewhat? yes, but it's still far less than half of what you can make in 1hr of PvE.

During "good" farming in WvW I'm EXTREMELY lucky to get ~3g/hr. That's about 1/2 to 1/3 of what you can make in PvE during that time.

Karma is debatable, as it pretty much requires a dedicated group to do certain levels of Fractals for maximum karma reward.

During "good" farming in WvW I'm EXTREMELY lucky to get ~3g/hr. That's about 1/2 to 1/3 of what you can make in PvE during that time.

As I said, it depends on the content. Sure you can make incredible amounts doing CoF and Arah runs, yadda - but WvW zerging is brainless, and you can blame failure on someone else.

Then again, this is what people get for being fixated on gold gain and rewards. Serves them right.

If they don't like playing the game because the act of playing is enjoyable, they can go sit and spin for all I care. Harrumph.

Arcteryx

As I said, it depends on the content. Sure you can make incredible amounts doing CoF and Arah runs, yadda - but WvW zerging is brainless, and you can blame failure on someone else.

Then again, this is what people get for being fixated on gold gain and rewards. Serves them right.

If they don't like playing the game because the act of playing is enjoyable, they can go sit and spin for all I care. Harrumph.

Person A:
Enjoys doing PvE(fractals, dungeons, etc)

Person B:
Enjoys doing WvW/PvP

Both play and have fun, but the rewards for their time aren't equal.

And then ANet wonders why people don't participate/salt the forums over WvW/PvP. It also doesn't help that a LOT of the recent skin content(arguably a large focus of the game) is on the Gemstore, thus requiring the gold that isn't being equally rewarded.

They could easily reward gold/siege for captures/defenses/etc, as well as the Rank chests. Doing that would probably bring things closer in line to PvE rewards.

Don't forget that WvW also incurs a cost(siege, food, upgrades, etc) all of which can easily add up quick(if you play mainly WvW). When I played WvW heavily, the guild I was in went through upwards of 200g a week mostly on siege, food, and upgrades. Even if you aren't part of a guild/putting money into upgrades/siege, you're still likely going to be spending FAR more on food/repairs than you would in PvE.

Moondrop

Banned
You're right. Both are utterly brainless, actually. But WvW zerging you can do while watching TV. :p

I know you're joking, but I still think you have it backward. I do all my PvE content while watching TV, but in WvW I'm listening to the Teamspeak calls.

docbon

Person A:
Enjoys doing PvE(fractals, dungeons, etc)

Person B:
Enjoys doing WvW/PvP

Both play and have fun, but the rewards for their time aren't equal.

And then ANet wonders why people don't participate/salt the forums over WvW/PvP. It also doesn't help that a LOT of the recent skin content(arguably a large focus of the game) is on the Gemstore, thus requiring the gold that isn't being equally rewarded.

They could easily reward gold/siege for captures/defenses/etc, as well as the Rank chests. Doing that would probably bring things closer in line to PvE rewards.

Don't forget that WvW also incurs a cost(siege, food, upgrades, etc) all of which can easily add up quick(if you play mainly WvW). When I played WvW heavily, the guild I was in went through upwards of 200g a week mostly on siege, food, and upgrades. Even if you aren't part of a guild/putting money into upgrades/siege, you're still likely going to be spending FAR more on food/repairs than you would in PvE.

Pretty much. It costs me a good 30 silver every 30 minutes to keep my buffs up when I'm running with my wubwub guild. I still make a little money, but it's absolutely nothing compared to champ farming and cof runs.

The only thing I really wanted out of the chest was some sort of armor / weapon cosmetic that reflects the time I put in wvwvw, just like the fractal items people get for doing high level fractals, but nope.avi.

Edit: lol @ implying moondrop is some wubwub scrub.

REAsTGR.png

LS8XfdK.jpg

THE NIGHTMARE IS OVER!
Two achievement tracks during Wintersday

Moondrop

Banned
Oh, y'all are giving me a fat head.

I'm actually a cleric warrior, so it doesn't matter if I look away for a few minutes while doing paltry damage to an HP sink.

Ironically, this does make me a wvw noob in the eyes of many. I'm torn whether to continue to hide my build from [SF] as they standardize their roster or make an epic post on their forum titled "In Defense of a Classic."

Actually, perhaps you could help me with something. I've started a Warrior alt that I'm still working on, but I can't get a good feel for the class. I've only played Engie since launch. I have a level 80 Ranger and level 80 Guardian, but I don't play either.

I'm trying to find a way to play Warrior that isn't just the copypaste buildabear of the week dressed in all Zerk. I think the dynamic nature of the Engineer has spoiled me, in that I have trouble playing overly straightforward classes.

I like utility and being of use to a party more than outright DPS, what would you suggest I focus on?

Oh, y'all are giving me a fat head.

I'm actually a cleric warrior, so it doesn't matter if I look away for a few minutes while doing paltry damage to an HP sink.

Ironically, this does make me a wvw noob in the eyes of many. I'm torn whether to continue to hide my build from [SF] as they standardize their roster or make an epic post on their forum titled "In Defense of a Classic."
Make a post and share how long it takes before you get booted from the guild.

They should have just given a rare instead of 4 greens.

docbon

Actually, perhaps you could help me with something. I've started a Warrior alt that I'm still working on, but I can't get a good feel for the class. I've only played Engie since launch. I have a level 80 Ranger and level 80 Guardian, but I don't play either.

I'm trying to find a way to play Warrior that isn't just the copypaste buildabear of the week dressed in all Zerk. I think the dynamic nature of the Engineer has spoiled me, in that I have trouble playing overly straightforward classes.

I like utility and being of use to a party more than outright DPS, what would you suggest I focus on?

Honestly, I'd suggest waiting til the 10th before committing to a build for your new character, since the patch will most definitely kill and birth builds.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm trying to find a way to play Warrior that isn't just the copypaste buildabear of the week dressed in all Zerk.

I will speak mostly from a wvw perspective, though I believe my setup translates to most pve content fine. The alternative to zerker warrior is to be a tanky, CC dealing frontliner. In the current SF meta this means hammer primary, sword/warhorn secondary, stances, and warbanner. The hammer is mostly for earthshaker- aoe stun and blast finisher, 'nuff said. Swap is for mobility and escape, though horn has group utility. Stances for tankiness. Warbanner to res "downies."

My build is different; I go deeper into support and survival, sacrificing damage. The core of a cleric geared warrior is 4 shouts (w/ trait), each healing for 3k+ each. People can talk up blind and aegis and all that stuff is great for other classes, but warrior care about numbers, even when healing ;). I'm personally a huge advocate of mace/shield, which provides 3 CCs and 2 blocks. SF has me running hammer now and it's grown on me; engage enemy blob with hammer then swap when I'm taking too much heat. I used to always run rifle and still carry one, in addition to a sword and horn.

There are several subtle tricks of my build I'm happy to share, but the biggest is Signet of Rage + Lyssa runes. So juicy.

Edit: re: Dec. 10, this will have a significant impact on the SF archetype outline above, but should not affect my build because I'm not in it for the damage. Bow builds will also be nerfed.

Honestly, I'd suggest waiting til the 10th before committing to a build for your new character, since the patch will most definitely kill and birth builds.
pretty much this. Condition damage/healing warriors are popular right now, though. Heal with shouts, use a sword to bleed, and then a bow for bleeds and more might.

I second the lyssa rune set. Its good for pretty much any warrior running SoR. Rune of the soldier is better in a group setting with shouts and the elite banner.

Mxrz

Not sure what to make of warriors. Between the regen, hammer, lyssa runes, and gs mobility they're really aggravating. Don't know if any of that warrants a nerf, but there are more and more of them each week.

The only time i use my warrior in wvw, I do the fun but silly crit/zerk Rifle killshot thing. Pretty ineffective, I'm sure, but it is fun to kill people with one shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom