• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Hmmm... we sort of knew they wouldn't be doing an update on the 24th since it's Christmas Eve and all, but according to the 2013 Review article;

Our first release in the new year will be on January 21 as we begin our countdown to the end of this story arc. We’ll use the longer break to spend extra time to ensure that our final four releases are as polished and exciting as possible.

No update on the 7th either, but if it's for polish I can't say I mind. Tis the season to spend time with family, not beat up monsters in video games, right?
GAFGuild is all the family I have ='(

So it sounds like Scarlet will continue to be our main antagonist, even in Season 2. At least, that's what I gather when Colin mentions that we're building up to the reveal of Scarlet's motivations. I'd assume that season 1 ends with her real plans revealed, and season 2 deals with countering them.

Well, at least knowing her motivations is better than nothing.

I don't see this happening. They know how disliked Scarlet is, and even if her storyline makes sense in the end, I still think they know she's served her purpose and run her course. And if we don't get to put an end to her / watch her get killed, I think it'll be a disappointment. And they know it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So it sounds like Scarlet will continue to be our main antagonist, even in Season 2. At least, that's what I gather when Colin mentions that we're building up to the reveal of Scarlet's motivations. I'd assume that season 1 ends with her real plans revealed, and season 2 deals with countering them.

Well, at least knowing her motivations is better than nothing.
Doesn't sound like that at all. Where are you drawing this from?

edit: I was guessing that there would be a Dec. 7th update, so with the 21st being the date, after today's patch this will actually be the longest stretch without an update since launch at ~41 days. I'd say that this is a good time to reflect on how remarkable it is that "a little over month and a week" is what passes for a long time between updates in this game, but I suppose there will be many reactions to this and none unexpected.

There will be a lot of pressure on the Jan. 21st patch, though as we've heard the real "bonkers" stuff comes with February.

mingus

I think it's clear that Scarlet will be revealed to be an NSA agent and those DO NOT TOUCH towers are just representations of the bitcoin mining we've unwittingly been doing for their slush fund.

I really hope the reveal stuff on every one of those 4 releases and do not keep everything for the last update. If they do not reveal anything and just allow scarlet to always just get away then it will be stupid and more and more people will hate the living story and probably not even want it to come back.

Lunar15

Doesn't sound like that at all. Where are you drawing this from?

I could be wrong, as I'm assuming things left and right here, but it would be really weird if we had all of Scarlet's motivations and plans revealed and then she was immediately defeated within 4 updates.

Then again, going by how this arc was written, that is entirely possible.

Note: I don't think it's a bad thing if Scarlet remains the antagonist, as long as she is given proper motivations and the stakes are considerably raised at the end of season 1.

Note: I don't think it's a bad thing if Scarlet remains the antagonist, as long as she is given proper motivations and the stakes are considerably raised at the end of season 1.

I think it is too late to save Scarlet even if we find out why she is doing what she has been doing...and this is mostly because it took so god damn long to find out anything...a whole year pretty much.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Come the 21st, we'll have been dealing with her for a year minus one week (though we didn't realize it at the time). Enough for a single antagonist already... it's time to dispatch her in a satisfying way and move on to bigger and better things in the latter 3/4 of the year.

hythloday

Meanwhile the elder dragons have done nothing. Clearly not wishing to get in scarlet's way.

I'm sure they haven't done NOTHING. Jormag has probably eaten a few victims, converted a few Icebrood, maybe dug a breakfast nook into his icy lair. Perhaps he's finally started on that 1000-piece puzzle of Lion's Arch that Aunt Helen gave him for his birthday.

I know they probably do not want to touch the elder Dragons till there is an expansion or something but maybe the living story can be about a Dragon champion, that shows up out of nowhere and we have to defeat it somehow.

I think the living story should be more tied into the current game story. Maybe it can expand upon Malyk, but doesn't mean it has to introduce the Jungle Dragon.

I think they have many stories they can tell that relate to the Elder Dragons but they do not have to include them at all.

However, to be fair, they really are just learning. No one's ever tried what they're trying to do. There's gonna be growing pains.
Wow...you have change man. You have become ComPRlistic and reasonable. I remember when you used to complain almost as much as Adriaaa.

Proud of you, boo!

Complistic

The Style category of the Gem Store is being streamlined, and the following pieces will no longer be available starting December 17^th^:
Bunny Ears
Aviator Sunglasses
Sport Sunglasses
Wide Rim Glasses
Boxing Gloves
Khaki Cargo Shorts
Riding Gloves
Riding Boots
Riding Pants
Layered Vest
Cherry Blossom Shirt
Ornate Ruched Shirt
Country Lace Gathered Shirt
Silk Brocade Vest with Shirt
Leather Hoodie
Casual Hoodie
Designer Hoodie
Fitted Casual Shirt
Players who previously purchased these items will still retain the ability to use them.
Wat

Oh my god:

The Collection Expander is now available in the Gem Store in the Upgrades category for 800 gems each. Each Collection Expander increases the stack size allowed for all collections by 250 to a maximum of 1000.

Retro

Can I just say how cool it is that instead of just slapping all the class changes on the list and calling it a day, they actually explain what their goals were?

Huh. I think I've bought just about all of that stuff I've wanted, but it's odd to see it being removed entirely.

The Collection Expander is now available in the Gem Store in the Upgrades category for 800 gems each. Each Collection Expander increases the stack size allowed for all collections by 250 to a maximum of 1000.

800 gems seems like a steal for that.

ReRixo

Banned
Did ANet ever add guild houses? I had so much fun in GW1 playing with guild houses and practising pvp in them.

Also, have there been any improvements to spvp since launch? I played or about two months but was pretty disappointed with the lack of depth

I do admire how much effort ANet put into releasing content though

Retro

New, exclusive faces have been added to the Total Makeover Kit. Three new faces for each race and gender have been added for a total of 30 new faces that can only be acquired from the Total Makeover Kit in the Gem Store.

Huh. Didn't see that coming, I'll need to take a look and see if there are any I like for my characters.

Did ANet ever add guild houses? I had so much fun in GW1 playing with guild houses and practising pvp in them.

Also, have there been any improvements to spvp since launch? I played or about two months but was pretty disappointed with the lack of depth

I do admire how much effort ANet put into releasing content though

- Nothing on housing, which is suspicious.

- SPVP has been improved, but not as much as people would like (and that's not meant as a jab at them, SPVP really does need improvement). Supposedly more is coming.

Open World
The lands surrounding Viathan Lake in Kessex Hills have been forever altered by the tower. Explore the region to discover new events.
Toxic Offshoots and Seedlings continue to appear across Tyria.
Several renown hearts in Kessex Hills have been updated based on the lingering effects of the Toxic Alliance’s tower.
The Moogooloo Waypoint and the Meadows Waypoint have been removed.

Looks like the first zone that I will 100% on my Charrdian will be kessex hills.

Loot dropped by the Karka Queen has been improved; she also has a chance to drop Settler’s insignias.
GAF daily Karka Queen runs will have to start up again.

Exotic armor pieces with the stat combos Rabid, Dire, Magi’s, Soldier’s, Cavalier’s, and Shaman’s now have a chance to salvage their insignia.
Insignia prices coming down slightly, possibly.

Mine!

1463060_10151913968394209_97958496_n.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks like the first zone that I will 100% on my Charrdian will be kessex hills.
Altering the hearts is fantastic. I know many will consider such changes pointless or a waste of time but it's something I've been hoping to see from the living story.
GAF daily Karka Queen runs will have to start up again.
Funny she had some of the best loot of any event in the game already, and already dropped Settler's Inscriptions.

Holiday Gifting Event
From now through December 31, players who send a gift to a friend can purchase that same item in any quantity for themselves at 40% off! Let the sharing begin! All discounts must be claimed by 11:59 p.m. PST on December 31.

How can we exploit this? If I buy 1 for a GAFer and he/she buys 1 for me that means we can get last 2 for price of 1 almost?

Complistic

total makeover kits seem to have disappeared from the gem store. Probably just a mistake. Gonna have to take a look at a couple of the sylvari ones.

Arkanius

Yeah. No
I'm not paying to store my cancerous Ascended materials

Taffer

Anyone know if the reactor story mode is disappearing today? I haven't logged in to play for a couple weeks, so I never did that.

I'd assume it won't, but...

Fractured meta has gone and so has the reactor story (unless it's moved somewhere not obvious).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How can we exploit this? If I buy 1 for a GAFer and he/she buys 1 for me that means we can get last 2 for price of 1 almost?
You'd need to figure out 2 things you both want, but then yeah, you can get a big discount on both. Not exploiting! I'm very likely in for some stuff.

Man there is a lot to play with in here. I am psyched, I don't even know where to start. I can't wait to try out the new ele and mesmer heals, look into all the traits, try some organized Toypocalpyse (only did it once and we barely won, was chaos; now you can form parties), bell choir (never did it at all), get in some snowball fights and remaster the JP, do KQ again, and I still really feel like doing CoE tonight. Plus man, upping the collections tab is a godsend for my characters. And then there's the whole new avenue of psycho profit to pursue selling to the Ascended early adopters. And the new story instance, Kessex events and Meta for the end of the Tower.

Really wish I didn't feel so exhausted right now, I feel like I really need a nap when I get home but there's no way I'll be able to fit everything I want to do into one session tonight. Oh well, this is all gonna be around for quite a while... I'll patch now and probably just have a quick nap, hop on and go with the flow of the guild. Maybe we could actually do Queen before and after reset...

Arcteryx

Ughhhhhhhhh I need that backpiece soooo bad on my Guardian(it will complete my 40k look), but the gold, man, the gold...

Also, Shadow of Grenth is apparently tradeable, but the Dwayna one isn't(at least not yet). Perhaps bug, perhaps not. Here's to hoping they let people sell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom