• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeris

Thanks. I have 55G. Should I use some of that to buy some exotics at the TP or some vendors?

Honestly I'd save your cash if you can get in a few dungeon runs. Explore mode dungeons give you tokens that you turn in for exotics. What I did on my first 80 was use those to get any exotics at all then over time replaced them with more efficient ones suited to my build as money/tokens/karma permitted. As Retro said, greens and blues will be enough to get you through CoF1. Also SE1 and low level Fractals should be doable. I expect to get shot for this, but you may want to consider doing one or two rounds of the champ zerg. I usually find I can get at least some basic level appropriate gear for the toons I'm leveling if other means don't work. If not, you can still pick up a bit of cash. Besides that, keep an eye out for Dwayna or Melandru being up as well as the usual circle of world bosses.

Note that the above is for gear grinding. It's not a "fun" way to do it but it can get you serviceable gear for most things outside of speed runs and picky "have 5k ap and link your gear" groups.

Mxrz

Thanks. I have 55G. Should I use some of that to buy some exotics at the TP or some vendors?

How pressed are you for play time? Right now the price of exotic armor is dirt cheap, but not for the best new-player (and WvW!) stat; Soldier's (Power, Toughness, Vitality.)

If you don't mind putting in time, you can run Ascalon catacombs path 3 once per day. This will get you 1.5 gold per run, and around 60-69 Ascalon tokens (tears). A full set of soldier's armor from the Ascalon vendor in Lion's Arch is about 1200 tears. - You could also do Catacombs path 1 and 2 to obtain more gold & tears per day, but these paths are a bit more difficult. Path 1 has a harder version of path 3's burrow smacking that most pugs have issue with, and path 2's final boss is a pug-eater due to his mechanics.

There is also Heart of the Waves. You can get soldier's armor from its tokens, too. But it is a harder dungeon (especially path 2 and 3),But the people you'll play with in a pug are far less annoying than AC on the whole. Path 1 HotW is probably the 2nd fastest run in the game. It requires only 7 total fights, boss included. Although there are two bits that are tricky to run on your first go.

Gaf guild runs dungeons often. That's a great place to learn the runs until your pug-comfortable enough to do them at will. But if you only want to bother with one set of armor, then you'll probably need to decide which side of the "Zerkerlololol" bullshit your on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
All true advice, but why would you mention Ascalonian Catacombs and Honor of the Waves but not Sorrow's Embrace? A daily run of SE1 and SE3 is arguably the fastest way to get Soldier's gear via dungeons. :p

edit: crimzonflame, if you know what gear stats you're looking to acquire an exotic set of, we can help with the best way. You can purchase a full set of rares on the TP for very cheap at least, just a couple of gold really, which will put you at dungeon and high-level zone readiness while letting you keep building up your wealth. The stat differential is truly miniscule.

Thank you guys fir the advice. Im familiar with AC as I already have about 500 tears. I was thinking of getting full zerker gear because I read somewhere that getting killing things as fast as possible is the best for PVE/dungeons:

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thank you guys fir the advice. Im familiar with AC as I already have about 500 tears. I was thinking of getting full zerker gear because I read somewhere that getting killing things as fast as possible is the best for PVE/dungeons:
For most areas of PvE (World Bosses are an exception and Tequatl the most important one) it does tend to be the best, if you can stay alive- which is a pretty major conceit. "Berserker's gear is best" assumes an ideal level of skilled play that isn't particularly realistic for everyone and especially for new players still mastering their class in all scenarios. I can't even adequately express how many PUGs I've run into that have simply taken this advice as gospel without any regard for the fact that they might need some survivability, and get obliterated at the slightest challenge, usually accompanied by a "wtf."

Really, the absolute best you can eventually do is to have multiple armor sets for different situations. Prior to that, best is finding your ideal mix of high-damage (Berserker's/Assassin's) and survivability (Soldier's/Knight's/Valkyrie) that gives you the "stay-up" power you need while allowing you to keep doing damage. Prior to that, many would contend that a full set of Soldier's is better than a full set of Berserker's which is where the advice here stemmed from.

But really, what you're looking to do and what kind of build you want to run is what matters most. If you're interested in a condition build you need to look into other sets altogether.

Anno

How many WvW badges do you have in your wallet? Even if you never played the mode they were handing them out like candy in a lot of the early achievement chests. I forgot how many you need for the armor through the vendors there but it's not too high and they have both Soldiers and Berserkers available for purchase as level 80 exotics.

Shiokazu

im making the preparations to the Karkamas guild event, its going to start at 6pm EST. but i'll be around southsun some time before. Get on mumble if you can.

meeting will happen at the asura gate in Pearl Islet.

and thats all, i hope you guys get around

Retro

That's close to dinner time here, but if I can make it I will. I think we're having leftovers for dinner anyways, so it's not really important who nukes their dinner when tonight.

Mxrz

Not sure what to make of Ascended armor. I was hyped for it, then I took an inadvertent break for a few weeks. Now, it just seems like a lot of 'work' for very little payout. I don't mind the small stat gains, but the stuff naturally looks like ass-soup on a female Charr.

Not sure what to make of Ascended armor. I was hyped for it, then I took an inadvertent break for a few weeks. Now, it just seems like a lot of 'work' for very little payout. I don't mind the small stat gains, but the stuff naturally looks like ass-soup on a female Charr.

Ditto. I got my Ascended weapons reasonably fast, because they felt like a decent upgrade from my exotics, but armour I've put on the 'long term incidental' list. If at some point I see I have the mats for a piece, I'll make it - but it's not on my list of things to do right now.

Retro

Like Ascended accessories being exclusive to Fractals before spreading to Laurel and Commendation vendors, I'm sure that Ascended armor will eventually appear in other parts of the game. Weapons already do, from Tequatl. In the meantime, crafting got a shot in the arm and the economy was shaken up in a big way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Indeed, I didn't see it coming but to me ascended weapons and armor were mostly a nice cache of free money in my pocket. Kinda killed my motivation to obtain them (well, I want a couple of the weapon skins) when I realized how profitable not doing so could be :p
Like Ascended accessories being exclusive to Fractals before spreading to Laurel and Commendation vendors, I'm sure that Ascended armor will eventually appear in other parts of the game. Weapons already do, from Tequatl. In the meantime, crafting got a shot in the arm and the economy was shaken up in a big way.
You can already get Ascended armor box drops in Fractals, and, technically, anywhere an Ascended material drops (someone in one of the other guilds that was with us for that Supplies challenge got one from their puzzle).

Shiokazu

"And the loot was good, we had a good time, and to the queen that stood, she didnt had her prime.

the chests where plenty, many rares came by, though sometimes not decently, the booty was quite high.

and to the champions of the skipping stones, to ye my keg is raised, like a king on his throne, conquested was those high."

Karkamas 12/26/2013 -

Number of Slain Queens: 2

see you next year~

Complistic

I made enough to buy a full cultural set for my new sylvari thief off of the rediculous cloth prices.

I've absolutely no issues with waiting a few months to upgrade my necro to ascended. I'll be ok without the +20 or whatever total condition damage I'm missing.

xeris

Put this in guild chat earlier tonight but thought I may as well subject y'all to it here. Hum along to Queen's Killer Queen

She's a karka queen
Got no agility
Pinches'll make you scream
Guranateed to roll your behind

How is this dead guild for this dead game doing?

Hard to tell, since half the guild is DEAD IN THE LAVA

CnUJgCx.jpg

<3

Retro

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition is 80% on steam. Just sayin'

Put this in guild chat earlier tonight but thought I may as well subject y'all to it here. Hum along to Queen's Killer Queen

She's a karka queen
Got no agility
Pinches'll make you scream
Guranateed to roll your behind

Later:
"This game needs more Karma sinks"
"What about a lizard mini that changes colors?"
"You mean like a... Karma Chameleon?"
"Yes, but it would have to be temporary."
"Ah, so it comes and goes?"
"It comes and go-Oooooo-ooohs"

"Nobody got that reference"
"This club needs more culture!"

<3 GAFter Dark. Was up until 3:30 am with my brother just bopping around Harathi Hinterland. I was on my level 30 ele and that's a 35-45 zone (some of that stuff was 49 though) and ended up level 38. At one point we met up with a guardian and we basically three-maned all of the event chains leading up to Modnir. We were kind of hoping we'd get to try it alone, but SBI showed up in force before we could get the second Champion Warbeast down.

Hard to tell, since half the guild is DEAD IN THE LAVA

Even though it's the same animation I've seen a hundred times, the angle at which you caught me trying to revive someone makes it look like Dhalion is crouched down and reaching towards someone. Great Shot.

Little things like characters bending their knees and moving their feet to match the terrain is such a subtle thing but it really adds a lot to the visuals of the game. Whoever that is in the Primeval skin (I believe it was our guest from DH, Bumble?), standing with one knee raised, is selling the shit out of that shot.

Retro

Got my Ele to 40, decided to celebrate with a change in style;

Conjurer shoulders, Priority Coat, Winged gloves, the mid-tier Acolyte pants (not the starting stuff with the same name), and Masquerade Boots. Helmet is the Wraith Masque transmuted from a Necro alt. Dyes are Midnight Blue and Tarnished Steel (shoulders are Ruby).

No real build yet at 40, usually running Scepter/Dagger. Kind of wish there were more a Conjurer-centric traits, or at least Conjured weapons were entirely charge-based and not both charge and time based. I suppose the argument could be made that if I wanted to play with Greatsword / Hammer / Bow I should just play my warrior, but I like the idea of a caster who rolls around rocking elemental weapons and putting the hurt on baddies up close and personal.

Anno

I don't normally get excited about PvP/WvW videos, but this one is pretty damned impressive. Good production and unbelievable play, with music that doesn't make me want death. Basically a D/D ele and shout guard team up to kill all of the people.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fantastic shot as always, Miktar :D

We were able to revive everybody but Beekle!
"And the loot was good, we had a good time, and to the queen that stood, she didnt had her prime.

the chests where plenty, many rares came by, though sometimes not decently, the booty was quite high.

and to the champions of the skipping stones, to ye my keg is raised, like a king on his throne, conquested was those high."

Karkamas 12/26/2013 -

Number of Slain Queens: 2

see you next year~
*clinks norn-sized glass*

You're just jealous because we are both awesome at this game Kos! :p
Actually he's jealous cause he missed out on a rejuvenating lava bath.

Retro

Sounds like February is when shit is goin' down.

Shit should be going down on Jan 21st and should leave us wanting for more. Enough set up. Scarlet should be on the run when we get to the end of of the Jan 21st update.

Tired of nothing happening in the updates as far as scarlets ending is concerned.

Retro

So who do I message in the guild to buy my tickets for tonight?

Just deposit into the Guild Treasure Trove, the game keeps a fairly long list of who's made deposits and withdraws so that's how we handle it.

That said, Hawkian will be unable to attend tonight's Missions, and since the lottery is kind of his baby I think it will be put off until next week; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94730476&postcount=11562

Just means a bigger pot next week.

Just deposit into the Guild Treasure Trove, the game keeps a fairly long list of who's made deposits and withdraws so that's how we handle it.

That said, Hawkian will be unable to attend tonight's Missions, and since the lottery is kind of his baby I think it will be put off until next week; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94730476&postcount=11562

Just means a bigger pot next week.

Ah, gotcha. I'll wait for next week then. Is anything happening tonight then?

Retro

not making it to missions today, i feel EXTREMELY sick this week.

That's cool, we know sickness or family obligations happen. We're very understanding, feel better and we'll see you next week (or whenever). Get well soon.

Ah, gotcha. I'll wait for next week then. Is anything happening tonight then?

Missions as usual, just no Lottery drawing tonight.

By the by, I found a bar named after you, Retro. You can find it in Ancud, Chile.

They have a bar named Enormous Asshole in Chile?

Sorry. I got a family thing so I won't be able to participate in the guild missions tonight.
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. We do NOT ALLOW sickness or family obligations to trump Missions. THAT'S A FUCKING 50 DKP MINUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom