• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cow - playing as a tiny Asura, it's like a totally new game. The whole world feels so different.

Also, Norn are large.

Gwlshfj.jpg

Shiokazu

Holy cow - playing as a tiny Asura, it's like a totally new game. The whole world feels so different.

Also, Norn are large.

man, once you're playing norn, then switch to ANY of the other races, everything feels so...

so much bigger, the world feels so much more menacing.

If you're strictly speaking for GW2 my GTX 660 Ti runs everything on max(at 60 fps) but I had to OC my 3750k to 4.6Ghz to be able to do so. All MMOs are CPU intensive but it seems GW2 more than others.
Do you get 60 fps at the Black Citadel? My fps is usually in the 40s there with these settings:

3570K @ 4.5
8 GB RAM
HD 7950 stock

iizMChcHv4Spj.png

If I could only get to 60 at max in all PvE zones...

It's not as if the Black Citadel has a lot of players in it, like Lion's Arch, so I'm not sure why the former would have to be so CPU-intensive relative to the GPU workload.

The answer to why Guild Wars 2 is so gosh darn CPU intensive, is Umbra.

Umbra is the middleware ArenaNet uses to handle all the occlusion culling. And it's horrid. It's slow, ineffective, and in places like Black Citadel where the BSP portals are set up badly, it actually results in worse framerates due to CPU bottlenecking than if they'd used no culling at all. You can play with it for fun by going around the corner of the Black Lion Trading Post in the Black Citadel, finding the invisible portal, and make the entire city pop in and out of existence on command.

Meanwhile, in Crab Toss, an internet disconnect gave me a rare glimps of how Karka mate:

oYcW9a7.gif

Levyne

Banned
Yeah I could never get to 60 fps in city zones with a 4770k and a 780 with the character limit set to highest, everything else was fine though, outside of meta events after culling removal of course. And similarly big wvw battles.

Great explanation, Miktar.

You can play with it for fun by going around the corner of the Black Lion Trading Post in the Black Citadel, finding the invisible portal, and make the entire city pop in and out of existence on command.
Yea, when I first noticed that I thought my GPU was already dying.

Yeah I could never get to 60 fps in city zones with a 4770k and a 780 with the character limit set to highest, everything else was fine though, outside of meta events after culling removal of course. And similarly big wvw battles.

Great explanation, Miktar.

There's a case study on Umbra's own site, meant to act as a boast, but if you read between the lines, it actually highlights several problems: http://www.umbrasoftware.com/en/clients/case-studies/guild-wars-2-case-study/

The occlusion portals are generated automatically: "We automatically identify potential occluders during map export, completely removing the burden of data markup."

That never works right. You need to manually, intelligently, place portals. If you've ever done Unreal Engine map editing, you'll know what I mean.

The second problem is their space table generation was developed rather late in production. The game's code base was mature, and late in development, when they started working on the depth buffer query table that handles Umbra culling dynamic objects. You can notice issues with this in how often terrain and static/dynamic objects aren't always culled at the same time/place, when logically they should, and would if the portals were massaged manually.

Basically, ArenaNet focused mostly on how they wanted the game to look and feel, and trusted the middleware to come to the rescue later down the line. To be fair, Umbra is doing a fair chunk - the worldmaps, especially Divinity's Reach, are dense, huge, and DR actually works for the most part as long as you stay away from nooks and crannies where portals were automatically generated. A certain pillared circle springs to mind.

Umbra has a reasonably low memory footprint, GW2 doesn't need as much RAM as one would think. It's also multiplatform, so Mac users aren't being locked out due to proprietary software, which if GW2 had to write their culling in-house, might have seriously delayed a Mac client.

But, realistically, GW2 is layered atop a creaky Guild Wars 1 engine, nearly ten years old, while middleware got slapped in to make sure it runs at an acceptable framerate.

It was cost effective, which considering the nature of GW2's business model, was key - but it's not exactly futureproof. Or, perhaps it might be. I've no idea if Anet will update the Umbra libraries in the game, as Umbra updates. If they did, and Umbra makes strides in optimization, we could see GW2 double it's framerate easily on the same system specs. That would be a nice patch.

Whens the first update this year? next week?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/living-world-2013-the-year-in-review/

"Our first release in the new year will be on January 21"

Agkel

Do you get 60 fps at the Black Citadel? My fps is usually in the 40s there with these settings:

3570K @ 4.5
8 GB RAM
HD 7950 stock

iizMChcHv4Spj.png

If I could only get to 60 at max in all PvE zones...

It's not as if the Black Citadel has a lot of players in it, like Lion's Arch, so I'm not sure why the former would have to be so CPU-intensive relative to the GPU workload.

I do, and that .1 might be the difference for you. The only place I dont get steady 60fps (or higher) is LA. That place is Satan's little fuck pit! I never get past 45 fps, it's ridiculous! I would take a screenie of my sets. but im not at home atm. It looks very much like yours

Res: 1920x1200
Antialising:eek:ff but with sweetfx running. The settings for sweetfx I'm using are pretty much unchanged from how they are posted somewhere in one of GW2 threads (by Hawkian I think).
LOD: One notch lower than ultra bcs Im a fickle bastard and I sometimes just jump into wub wub randomly and I hate swapping settings, but for pve ultra works for me.
Reflections is a big one, I have it on sky and water or earth or whatever its called.
Shadows:One notch below ultra, same reason as LOD
Postprocessing: Low, bcs I hate how blurry high, makes things. This really doesnt affect performance though.
Charact Model Lim: This is the one setting I do have different from you in order to achieve 60fps or higher regardless of wub wub or not. I have it one notch down from max
Depth blur: off

Every other setting is the same. Might want to see if you can squeeze that extra .1 ghz out of the 3570. I went from averaging 45 to 55 Fps with settings lower than the ones I posted at 4.4Ghz to steady 60fps with the (better) settings in this post at 4.6 Ghz.

I could post my cpu settings once I get back home on the 6th. I managed to get to 4.8 on air (cant remember what third party HS im using but it has a fan on either side) with good temps low voltage and no errors on prime 95 test. I lowered it to 4.6 to save a bit of power consumption.

fake edit: I have 8 Gigs of RAM @ 1600 and an EVGA GTX 660 Ti the one that has only a lil bit of OC from the manufacturer. And yes, I'm awful remembering names of any kind.
fake edit 2: I also noticed that Ocing my gfx card manually, for some reason, yielded negative results. Only game that does this in my case is GW2

REAL EDIT: Thats some pretty cool info Miktar, thx!

Thanks guys. This will help me decide on what parts my brother should get for a decent system so he can run WvW at better settings than currently.

kiriin

Do you get 60 fps at the Black Citadel?

The design/layout of the city, Citadel has been that way since the beta.

Nice. Offloaded some stuff. I hadn't considered the worth of my stockpiles now with Ascended armour crafting, since I'm not doing it at the moment. I wonder what else is good to offload right now.

Proven

The demand of cloth outlasted the supply, but not the same for leather. Part of it is because it takes more cloth in quantity than it does leather in quantity to create each piece of armor, but I still expected medium armor classes to be in more demand of this stuff.

Retro

Happy New Year, Gafalonians!

I find it weird because I have an abundance of leather.

Yep, I bought a healthy chunk of everything armor-related a long time ago (since it was obvious at some point Ascended armor was coming) and while the metal and cloth went for well over what I paid for them, the leather is still sitting pretty squarely where I bought it. It probably has to do with the quantity required to craft (you need more cloth per item than you do leather) and may have something to do with the popularity of each armor class; engineers and thieves are still considered hard to play and Rangers have gotten an (unfair) reputation. No where near rivaling the Huntard thing, but I still see comments on reddit about people getting kicked from groups for being a ranger.

Edit: beaten by Knive

The demand of cloth outlasted the supply, but not the same for leather. Part of it is because it takes more cloth in quantity than it does leather in quantity to create each piece of armor, but I still expected medium armor classes to be in more demand of this stuff.
I expected that cloth would skyrocket, since every armor profession requires it. That's why I went all in on cloth. Too bad I sold earlier than I should've. :S

Shiokazu

well... cloth is hard to farm, yes, but not impossible.

for cotton and for linen i got two secret spots, silk has became my main problem.

+ GODDAMN GOSSAMER. i hate that thing, its impossible to farm.

Complistic

I remember some guy in here had like 2 bank tabs full of silk. We laughed at him and called him a hoarder. Told him to merchant it all.

He's either laughing at us, or isn't playing anymore. Probably the latter.

_woLf

Guild Wars 2 is down, guys. DERP DDoS'd the servers.

ArenaNet and NCsoft are aware of the issue and it could affect other NCsoft games.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Was at the end of the third fractal (dredge) with these god dam awful Staff guardians that couldnt reflect their way out of a paper bag, and server throws up.

Arcteryx

Was at the end of the third fractal (dredge) with these god dam awful Staff guardians that couldnt reflect there way out of a paper bag, and server throws up.

Yea was waiting to finish after daily(sitting on Maw for ~25 minutes lol) and then the game just lost connection.

sigh

Some people need to get a life.

Thanks guys. This will help me decide on what parts my brother should get for a decent system so he can run WvW at better settings than currently.

What setting does he run it at and what's his budget again? 1,000 Canadian space bucks?

A build like this is around $1,000 US Rupees so I don't know what it would cost in Canada. You could swap some things around like a 450w PSU or a different case. But this is a good value build for the money.

Then again it doesn't include an aftermarket cooler or SSD if hes interested in those things. Use PCpartpicker, it is the best site ever, helped me with my build that I did last year.

xeris

Ok, so what do these annoying script-kiddies have against Guild Wars 2 again? I only have an hour to play today :(

As far as I can tell, and most of this I read on gaming side so take it for that, this particular group has been shutting down games a particular twitch streamer has been playing. From what little I've bothered to follow he seems to be almost encouraging them and they're leaching off the free publicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom