• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Trillia Bounty, Snowden Puzzle, Skritt Challenge (and I use that term loosely).
Then Vilja jinxed us and we ended up with a Karka Rush.

It was easy street until somebody had to tempt fate.

Thanks a lot.

Retro's Pub is written on the front, the Asshole is out back.

I've never been to Chile, I swear.

Shiokazu

Trillia Bounty, Snowden Puzzle, Skritt Challenge (and I use that term loosely).
Then Vilja jinxed us and we ended up with a Karka Rush.

It was easy street until somebody had to tempt fate.

Thanks a lot.

I've never been to Chile, I swear.

well... you know magic.

ª~ª sometimes...

All my screenshots were a wash tonight. Except this one, which I kept:

6RTtse9.jpg

Retro

A little bit of a laugh tonight; two members of Heroes Etc. (HeEt) were working on flipping Camp Karka alone tonight while GAF was keeping everything else clear just because they were in the path of our Rush. Then when we finished, helped clear the camp and flipped Pride and Steam a second (or was it third?) time, the Queen spawned and we "showed up to help."
JUWnj.gif

well... you know magic.

Just don't mention Karkas unless you're looking at one and we should be okay!
JUWnj.gif

I only believe this because I know Chilean customs agents usually don't let animals into the country.

They let me into Canada once, but since Kos was already there I don't think they have very high standards (we missed you tonight, by the way!).

All my screenshots were a wash tonight. Except this one, which I kept

I noticed earlier that your armor is dyed the same color as National Geographic's distinctive yellow border, which is fantastic because I think of you as GW2's top photographer. You've taken some amazing shots.

Gattuso

I had received the game last week and I just got around to actually playing the game today for some hours because I still needed to buy some stuff but I was wondering what would help me find that "hook" for it? I know I haven't really experienced most of what the game has to offer yet and I'll give it more time but I guess I feel lost in the world in a way.

also since I am new to the game, would there be any words of advice or anything I might need to do or set up right now?

Retro

I had received the game last week and I just got around to actually playing the game today for some hours because I still needed to buy some stuff but I was wondering what would help me find that "hook" for it? I know I haven't really experienced most of what the game has to offer yet and I'll give it more time but I guess I feel lost in the world in a way.

also since I am new to the game, would there be any words of advice or anything I might need to do or set up right now?

Hook:
If you're not feeling it, try a different profession. More than MMO I've ever played, finding that class that really clicks with you is important. Don't be afraid to try something outside of your usual comfort zone; I usually hate caster classes in MMOs, but I've been enjoying my elementalist a lot lately (and my Memser before that). It can make or break your enjoyment of the game, so don't be afraid to try something new.

Because all of your characters share a single bank and wallet, any money, crafting materials, gear, etc. you get can more or less be freely passed between them. That should make the idea of 'starting over again' less distasteful.

If you want a rough idea how a profession will play at 80, click the crossed swords icon at the top of the screen (after you've finished the initial story mission, that is) and go to the Mists. This is the "PVP Hub" where your character will have access to all weapons, skills and traits.

Beyond that, explore. There's no "end game" like in most MMOs where you rush to get to max level so the 'real game' can start. Do events, renown hearts, look for vistas, do jumping puzzles. Almost everything awards experience and outside of the dots on the map to say "come over here, there's something to see/do" you're really kind of left to your own devices.

Advice:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45741280&postcount=8073

Key emphasis on the joining GAFGuild part, as having a ton of people to answer questions, group with or ask for help can make or break an MMO experience. And of course, folks in the OT will be happy to help with more specific questions.

Oh neat, I never even thought to look for a group on Steam. I've joined, and sent out a few friend requests too. Can't stay a recluse all my life, right?

Gattuso

Thanks! That was really helpful Retro. I think number 11 in your post was the main issue I was having with the game. While I was running around exploring the world for a while, I did feel like I needed the game to give me direction to enjoy it better.
edit: lol I'm feeling really dumb with navigating the menus and doing stuff right now.

Retro

Oh neat, I never even thought to look for a group on Steam. I've joined, and sent out a few friend requests too. Can't stay a recluse all my life, right?

Right, though we don't really use the group I'm always on steam if I'm at my PC, and you can always leave a message for me as well.

That goes for anyone, if you want to add me my user ID is "Retrogames" and my avatar matches my GAF one, so I should be easy to find.

Thanks! That was really helpful Retro. I think number 11 in your post was the main issue I was having with the game. While I was running around exploring the world for a while, I did feel like I needed the game to give me direction to enjoy it better.

Yeah, GW2 can seem a little directionless at first, especially if you're coming from another MMO where every single scrap of content has a giant shiny exclamation point over it and a dot on the map, so you can't possibly get lost or miss anything. The other side of the coin, of course, is that everything feels very on-rails and unless there's a dot on the map to mark something, there's no point in looking because it's more or less a cardboard prop to make the world seem more interesting than it is.

Guild Wars 2 has shit hidden everywhere, usually unmarked, sometimes in places that in other games could be considered glitching outside the map (Gryphonrook Run, anyone?). Jumping puzzles (44 and counting), triggered events (my brother and I stumbled across a whole chain I had never seen in Harathi this weekend), little snippets of dialogue or interesting locales, and just straight up hidden chests are everywhere. Just keeping your eyes open and being curious usually rewards you with something, even if it's just a cool little area off the beaten path with no tangible reward. The experience (little e) of finding things that few (or possibly none) have seen before is one of the best parts of the game that always keeps it feeling fresh. I've found stuff in zones I've 100% Completed before on multiple characters (latest was an Order of Whispers base tucked beneath a fort in Snowden, with a hidden door and everything).

The best description I've seen for Guild Wars 2's structure is from Kill Ten Rats, who likened it to Kung-Fu (A TV series from the 70s):
I don’t know when I will hit 30, or when I will begin crafting. I have no clue if I will seek out points-of-interest or jumping puzzles, or save them for some rainy day. I don’t want to know either. I want to Just Play.

I decided, cutting off my friend, that I could not plan anything else. I didn’t know, and I didn’t want to either. I wanted to just walk Tyria to create adventures as I went, you know like Caine from Kung Fu. Guild Wars 2 supports this playstyle. I want to be present in the game world. I cannot stop to smell roses if I don’t even notice the flowers.

Basically just wander around, doing good and solving problems as you encounter them and not worrying that you're not leveling fast enough (the only thing being 80 means is that there isn't any content you're too low level to explore) or that your gear isn't good (as long as you're within 5 levels, you're fine, and the difference between the various tiers is fairly minor). The only thing that ever requires any immediacy is the Living Story, which is on a two week cycle. Even then, you can usually see the majority of that content in a few afternoons (achievements are a different story, but they haven't had any that I'd call a straight up grind since summer).

Well, that went on a little long, didn't it?

lol I'm feeling really dumb with navigating the menus and doing stuff right now.

Almost everything is going to be under your inventory or Hero panel (equipment, traits, skills and currencies). Have you gotten an invite to the guild yet? If not, post your character name or account name (name.####) and we'll get you in. That way you can get quick answers for any questions you might have.

ALSO THANKS FOR ADDING ME ON YOUR FRIEND LIST RETRO.

YOU ARE WELCOME WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?

What's the big money maker right now? I've made a hefty amount of money from auction house flipping. I just need something a little more active to do.

Retro

What's the big money maker right now? I've made a hefty amount of money from auction house flipping. I just need something a little more active to do.

Dungeon runs, World Events and Champion trains, in that order, are still more or less the best 'active' ways to make gold without getting bored (I say active because I'm sure playing the TP is more profitable in the long run). The group dynamic required for dungeons means the people you play with will keep things interesting (and if you start running with the same people, mix it up a little). There's also so many of them that you can expand from the standard COF1 / SE1 runs you can have a blast. I actually run dungeons more for the pleasure than the profit.

World Events are fun, but there's the waiting and repetitive nature (though the difficulty pass they did not long ago means they're less boring than they used to be). I tend to just play, but keep an eye on the timers and if I happen to be in a spot where I can stop, I'll jump over and kill off Wurm, FE or something really quick.

Champion trains tend to be repetitive garbage, and the people who both run and participate for longer than a circuit (usually just to get daily champ slayer) tend to be the nastiest in the game. The entitlement (kill a champ out of order just because you happened to be there and they'll lose their shit) and general tone makes Queensdale general chat the worst in the game right now (yes, even worse than LA). I generally avoid these at all costs.

jersoc

anything with ascended armor. ectos are like 34s a piece. i haven't checked in a while, but i imagine t6 blood is still up there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Retro on the full-on advice tip. Lots of good stuff there. Listen to this man!
The stuff I put in this post, specifically the last paragraph, is relevant.

Makeup missions occurring now, Peck in attendance! Hop on mumble!

Thanks for all the good info guys. I'm thinking I'll start running some more dungeons. I usually play with real life friends but they don't play much. If any of you guys are up for some dungeons, just let ms know. I have a boon guardian and a HGH engineer.

Also, what server is gaf based out of? I've been guesting to blackgate recently.

Anno

If anyone has or finds some silver doubloons please let me know. I've been slowly amassing them to craft the Juggernaut, but I need all the help I can get. Obviously I'll pay for them and save you TP listing fees.

Gattuso

-Snip-

Almost everything is going to be under your inventory or Hero panel (equipment, traits, skills and currencies). Have you gotten an invite to the guild yet? If not, post your character name or account name (name.####) and we'll get you in. That way you can get quick answers for any questions you might have.
Its great to see your really giving out a lot of information to help me on this, I appreciate it! Since I haven't been invited to the guild yet but my character name is Tsalf.

Retro

AWESOME Guild Mission Makeups today, GAF came out in force to help our newest member, Jaz Modoc get in on the action. Bounty was nice and easy, Challenge was fun (despite being Crab Toss), Puzzle went smoothly and Rush went nicely. Good work, as always, and a big thanks to the folks who came to help out from last night.

Thanks for all the good info guys. I'm thinking I'll start running some more dungeons. I usually play with real life friends but they don't play much. If any of you guys are up for some dungeons, just let ms know. I have a boon guardian and a HGH engineer.

If you're in the mood for dungeons, just ask in guild chat; people are almost always willing to do at least a COF1 or SE1 run since they're so quick. At the very least, you can get a few people and then pad out the rest with one or two LFG pugs.

Also, what server is gaf based out of? I've been guesting to blackgate recently.

Stormbluff Isle (NA)

If anyone has or finds some silver doubloons please let me know. I've been slowly amassing them to craft the Juggernaut, but I need all the help I can get. Obviously I'll pay for them and save you TP listing fees.

Can do, I've got my Ele coming up through the 40s and that seems to be where I've gotten them before.

Its great to see your really giving out a lot of information to help me on this, I appreciate it! Since I haven't been invited to the guild yet but my character name is Tsalf.

You've been invited now, check your guild menu (G) and click "represent" at the bottom. /G will allow you to talk in guild chat. See you in-game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Here, here! Thanks to all that came out to help with mission makeups, specifically but not necessarily only because I personally needed them all this time :D Really though, it was awesome getting Jaz and Beekle through some stuff they'd never done before, and it all went really smoothly.
Noted. I'll keep my eyes MF laserbeam open. How many do you need?

I love dungeons and do many different paths frequently. The awesome thing is that they're cross-server; you don't even have to guest to do dungeons with anyone in your entire region.

Thanks! I need about 200 lol. For such a dumb, otherwise-innocuous item these things are difficult to find.
I would suggest buying bags that drop from the 40-50 level zones and opening them. They seem to drop from pirates and bandits mostly.

Wonder if you can upgrade copper dabloons to silver.

Here, here! Thanks to all that came out to help with mission makeups, specifically but not necessarily only because I personally needed them all this time :D Really though, it was awesome getting Jaz and Beekle through some stuff they'd never done before, and it all went really smoothly.

Had a great time! It's nice to finally experience this stuff since Anet clearly hates the poor (aka my 5 man guild). Looking forward to more missions and tomfoolery!

Anno

I would suggest buying bags that drop from the 40-50 level zones and opening them. They seem to drop from pirates and bandits mostly.

Wonder if you can upgrade copper dabloons to silver.

Sadly you can't upgrade coppers.

The best farm I've found oddly enough is the earth elementals in the Charr starting zone. They spawn quickly, die quickly and drop a lot of t1 pebbles; 4 of those into the forge gives you back a doubloon like 5% of the time. Plus they seem to drop dyes pretty often.

Sadly you can't upgrade coppers.

The best farm I've found oddly enough is the earth elementals in the Charr starting zone. They spawn quickly, die quickly and drop a lot of t1 pebbles; 4 of those into the forge gives you back a doubloon like 5% of the time. Plus they seem to drop dyes pretty often.

Oh interesting. I'll remember that if I'm ever able to get the juggernaut precursor.

Ps. They cannot be upgraded through jewel crafting?

Anno

Nope. People have been asking for ways to upgrade and downgrade the rest of the doubloons for like a year now.

They also drop from JP chests if you're character level 19-29, I think. Consequently I have three alts just parked at chests that I check on every day. Not a bad little farm if you have spare characters in that level range that you don't play. 20s a day for a chance at ~2g

Shiokazu

ok, i started using the playlist thing in guild wars 2 and i experimented using some of the game musics in some situations, specially boss battles.

suddenly, battling a boss, any boss is SO EPIC NOW.

specially those on the world events, im still building it but here how it goes if you'd like to try fighting with these themes in the background:

Saga of the Norn
Here Be Dragons
The Charr Triumphant ( this one plays in tequatl normally )
Fear Not This Night

now, you might be thinking, why fear not this night?
i just tried to put it out thinking " well... lets put some drama into the battle. " and works as epic as anything. its even motivating to keep on figthing, it should play in arah story mode. you know where.

Taffer

I tired of GW2's music faster than any other game I can think of, it just felt unremarkable and came with big empty gaps after each track, even with the interval set to minimum. With the amount of wandering about I was doing I wanted some music to hold my attention when not hitting things and it just wasn't managing it so I ended up streaming music through my web browser while playing.
Unskippable cutscenes are so much better when you can tune them out as well (hello collapsing tower).

Lunar15

I tired of GW2's music faster than any other game I can think of, it just felt unremarkable and came with big empty gaps after each track, even with the interval set to minimum. With the amount of wandering about I was doing I wanted some music to hold my attention when not hitting things and it just wasn't managing it so I ended up streaming music through my web browser while playing.
Unskippable cutscenes are so much better when you can tune them out as well (hello collapsing tower).

You can insert your own music into the game's files as playlists, which is a dandy feature.

Taffer

It was the big empty gaps between tracks that annoyed me more than the music itself, that combined with spending all night mapping whichever zone I was in meant it was cycling through a really limited number of songs. After a few hours hearing the opening few bars of whichever song for the nth time drove me nuts.

Guild Wars 2 photography: 2013 in review. Not as many winners as I would have liked. I need to improve my process for stitching panoramas, and get better at color/brightness balancing. Need to find more interesting locations too. Time of day is an issue in-game, kinda wish I could set the time manually. Wish I'd taken more shots while the Labyrinthian Cliffs were around.

In 2014, I want to move away from empty landscapes and more towards action shots and the wildlife. Considering making the tiniest Asura possible, a thief, for this. Can't think of a good thematic name for one though.

Some of my favorites:

Here's the full album that includes a lot of scraps, throwaways and horrible roughs: https://plus.google.com/photos/1065...s/5962529737889875249?authkey=CNi40O-quczp6AE

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone running GTX760 with i7 4770K? Is GTX760 good? How does it compare to a HD7950?
The two cards are pretty comparable actually. I think the 7950 is considered the better overall card by a notch or two, but the 760 actually does a couple things better and is likely the better value.

edit: Good grief Miktar. Such a keen eye.

Love the first shot of Ventry Bay and the Weeping Isle. You can even see the wall of the Dominion of Winds far off in the back, wow...

Complistic

maximum intervals leave the biggest pause between music. You need to turn the intervals to minimum...

Agkel

Just dropping by to wish you all happy holidays and happy new year. I've been away at my gf's family and wont be back for another week or so.

Anyone running GTX760 with i7 4770K? Is GTX760 good? How does it compare to a HD7950?

If you're strictly speaking for GW2 my GTX 660 Ti runs everything on max(at 60 fps) but I had to OC my 3750k to 4.6Ghz to be able to do so. All MMOs are CPU intensive but it seems GW2 more than others.

For single player games I run most releases up until this point at max at 60fps or higher too. So I imagine the 760 and 4770k with slight OC will future proof you for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom