• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agkel

Picked it up right away, real convenient item. Was only 85 gold.

I think it's only today, it doesn't say it's on sale, so who knows. I don't know of any way to get it without logging in, but surely it will be back later. It's account bound, for what it's worth.

ahhh bummer, I really want it for the convenience alone and it been account bound is even better.

I cant remember if the game lets you log in with a partial download. Anyone knows if it does? If not, I guess I'll just wait for it to come back.

Retro

NOOOOOOOOO i shall prove it wrong!

Warning: You are walking straight into a Brazilian wax joke here.
JUWnj.gif

Retro

What's so special about the Royal Terrace?

It has a bank, guild bank, guild vendors (armor, weapon, commendation) Black Lion trader, Mystic Forge (plus forge item vendor), fully stocked vendor, repairs, all of the crafting stations and a portal to all 5 of the other major cities in an area about the size of the bank in LA. All in Divinity's Reach where the load times are quicker. The only thing NOT in there are profession trainers.

Hedge

No Lion's Arch map chat.

Couldn't you just.. remove map chat? I rarely ever have map-chat enabled. I once made the mistake in Queensdale when I wanted to make sure that killing Oakheart wasn't messing up a train, and I was greeted by a tasteless nazi joki and people cheering it on.

I think removing map chat has enriched my experience of this game a whole lot.

As for the pass, 1000 gems could almost pay for two entirely new character slots. I think the pass is mostly for power traders and the like, who basically live and breathe in the city.

Couldn't you just.. remove map chat? I rarely ever have map-chat enabled. I once made the mistake in Queensdale when I wanted to make sure that killing Oakheart wasn't messing up a train, and I was greeted by a tasteless nazi joki and people cheering it on.
Is the map-chat disabled by default? I have never seen that many map comments

I've been contributing to #GW2Project365 on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/search?q=#GW2Project365&src=hash ) which has been fun so far.

"Season's Greetings"

gAi1AE2.jpg

"But is it art?"

zoWalLr.jpg

"Mega bellyflop"

PqxEKWX.jpg

Couldn't you just.. remove map chat?

I could, but the problem is I don't see Guild Wars 2 as a solo game. I like to keep an eye on map chat in case anyone has problems, or needs help. Some of my greatest moments in GW2 involve responding to someone having trouble with an event, skill point, or needing an important question answered. I could turn map chat off, but then I'd be useless to anyone who needs help. And I can't trust the GW2 community at large to help, because lately I'm jaded and feel like the community is only out for itself.

Of course, since I bought the Royal Terrace permanent pass (plus three discounted character slots, totalling $35), I'm basically opting out of helping people in LA anyway, so I'm being a bit hypocritical.

I really miss the early days of GW2, when people were so excited, and eager to help, and work together, and share information. Pity that honeymoon never lasts.

Is the map-chat disabled by default? I have never seen that many map comments

It's on by default. If you're in LA or Queensdale, it's pretty much flowing constantly. Especially at night, when the self-proclaimed political experts gather to discuss their favorite sports teams (Republicans vs Democrats).

th3dude

The pack of unlimited gathering tools is calling my name.

I've been away for a few months and didn't realize anet made them account bound.

It's on by default. If you're in LA or Queensdale, it's pretty much flowing constantly. Especially at night, when the self-proclaimed political experts gather to discuss their favorite sports teams (Republicans vs Democrats).
Then it's probably because when I play it's actually morning for the US, so the comments aren't that many

How does one do this...

Not sure if this works on newly bought soulbound ones (since they're sold cheaper than the account bound), but the original soulbound tools can be made account bound by having them in your inventory (not the harvesting tool slots) and talking to the Black Lion Weapon Trader in the back of the Trading House.

Retro

I tend to be forgiving with map chat in GW2, something I had to consciously make an effort to do since my habit in other MMOs is to shut off everything but whispers and guild chat immediately. Like Miktar, I like to be able to help people with questions or events, and shutting off map chat makes the game feel like I'm playing alone with a GAF Chatroom add-on.

However, I don't think I'm quite as jaded on the community, perhaps because we haven't played the same games for the same amount of time. Nothing I've seen in GW2 compares to any major city or Barrens chat in WoW. They're still the absolute worst, most abrasive MMO community I've seen to this day, bar none. The racist jokes, the spammy unfunny humor, the purposely misleading 'help', the antagonism and tone.

The worst I've seen in GW2 is some off color humor (which I report) and the Queensdale Champ Train being a bunch of entitled, whiny brats. But there's also a lot of really cool stuff, like the guy who does the radio program and gives away prizes on Saturday nights. People who have questions usually get them answered honestly and there's none of the name calling or "Go back to WoW" I've come to expect from general chat. Oh, and WvW chat, but that's a whole different ball of wax I'm not even going to touch.

It can get rancid sometimes, but it's no where near as bad as other games. There was a short-lived thread here on GAF not long ago where Guild Wars 2 was constantly being mentioned as having a great community; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728212

However, I don't think I'm quite as jaded on the community, perhaps because we haven't played the same games for the same amount of time.

It's funny, but these days I think Queensdale chat is worse than Barrens. And I spent a lot of time in Barrens. But like most things, it depends on the realm. I'm on FA, I've no idea how Queensdale is on SBI. Barrens chat on the WoW realm I was on (can't recall which at the moment) was actually quite harmless.

I still see a lot of 'go back to WoW' in LA as well, though not as much as when the game launched. The first few months in LA, any questioning the way GW2 played was instantly met with 'go back to WoW if you don't like it'.

The bad Queensdale and LA chat on FA might be due to it being a mostly WvW server, it seems. There's a lot of attitude, especially since FA thinks it's so hot in WvW, but for Season 1 purposefully threw the matches to make sure it didn't get placed against the big boys in the higher tier, so we could keep beating on the mid-tier servers. When it comes to PvE content, FA is really, really bad. We were one of the last servers to beat Taco. >..>

Wait, it was out yesterday? waaat

I thought it was part of the patch ;_;

The next patch is still three weeks away (Jan 21).

The items are part of the New Years Weekend Sale going on right now, every day has something new. Yesterday was 25% off character slots, and the permanent Terrace pass. Today is 30% Total Makeover Kits, 40% off WvW boosters, and the Harvesting Tool Bundle.

Keep an eye on : https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/new-years-weekend-sale/

Retro

It's funny, but these days I think Queensdale chat is worse than Barrens. And I spent a lot of time in Barrens. But like most things, it depends on the realm. I'm on FA, I've no idea how Queensdale is on SBI. Barrens chat on the WoW realm I was on (can't recall which at the moment) was actually quite harmless.

I still see a lot of 'go back to WoW' in LA as well, though not as much as when the game launched. The first few months in LA, any questioning the way GW2 played was instantly met with 'go back to WoW if you don't like it'.

I guess it is going to come down to the individual realm. In WoW I played on Uther (usually high pop) and general chat tended to be vile garbage for both factions. All of the other servers I played on / paid to transfer to usually went the same way. At the very least, it was annoying, but more often than not it was distasteful. Almost always hostile though; honest questions were met with antagonism or misleading info, and any kind of conversation was derailed by profanity-laden hate speech that seemed to have no purpose other than just to shout nasty things into the ether.

Likewise in GW2: I don't think SBI is quite so bad as Fort Aspenwood, or if it is I just haven't seen it. I'm not saying GW2 or SBI is perfect, but in my experience I've seen a handful of comments that I thought were bad enough to report, whereas WoW was just a near-constant stream of it.

I should amend my last statement though; X-Box Live is actually worse than WoW General chat, so it's not the worst I've seen. Plus, hearing it spewed from a 10 year makes it that much worse.

I haven't seen any kind of "Go back to WoW' comment since launch though.

Alternatively; http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1uchz4/new_years_weekend_sale/

Tomorrow is 35% off the 3 Aetherized Armor skins, btw.

I think the GW2 admins must be sick of seeing my name by now, considering how often I have to use the Report function. Upwards of 10 times a day, on average. What's really weird, is often I'm reporting people who brag about "having been banned twice already", and then they continue the activities that got them banned in the first place.

I play Dota 2, so you'd think I'd be used to people being like this. But for some reason, my skin never gets thicker.

The only place that seems to be oddly quiet and respectful, is the Frostgorge train. Never any complaints or whining, just quiet farming.

I never renewed my Xbox Live Gold this year. Oddly, I don't miss it.

daedalius

Thinking about picking this up for my wife and myself, think a sale is coming up again soon?

We've been on and off WoW since launch, I thought this looked like a nice change of pace. It actually seems like Arenanet wanted to do something different with the usual fantasy MMO formula.

Thinking about picking this up for my wife and myself, think a sale is coming up again soon?

We've been on and off WoW since launch, I thought this looked like a nice change of pace. It actually seems like Arenanet wanted to do something different with the usual fantasy MMO formula.

GW2 constantly goes on sale, dropping as low as $30. It hovers around $40 most of the time, so keep an eye on Amazon or Greenman Gaming for sales. I think it's $39.99 right now on both, and $50 on the Guild Wars 2 site.

Ashodin

The Secret World is a good one too to play together. And it's similar to GW2's model (buy once and done)

Proven

Also, just had the closest match I've ever had in spvp. We were down 400-487 towards the end and then after neutralizing their points, they ended up with 499. We INCHED our way up to victory with 502-499.
37 seconds left on the clock, heh.

I could, but the problem is I don't see Guild Wars 2 as a solo game. I like to keep an eye on map chat in case anyone has problems, or needs help. Some of my greatest moments in GW2 involve responding to someone having trouble with an event, skill point, or needing an important question answered. I could turn map chat off, but then I'd be useless to anyone who needs help. And I can't trust the GW2 community at large to help, because lately I'm jaded and feel like the community is only out for itself.

I really miss the early days of GW2, when people were so excited, and eager to help, and work together, and share information. Pity that honeymoon never lasts.

Just quoting this as more a reminder to myself. I don't just ignore map chat most of the time; I never even think to try and call for help for such and such event that I can't tackle alone. I retreated from most PvE zones long, long ago for WvW and PvP. When I do pop into a zone with a Living Story update, it disheartens me to see the primary usage of map chat to call out events for Living Story grinding; anything that isn't the most efficient use of achievement or gold gaining time gets ignored. I also have a character in Lion's Arch for the first time in months just because it was the fastest way at the time for Snowball fights.

But if you want a positive change you've gotta be a part of it.

kiriin

The bad Queensdale and LA chat on FA might be due to it being a mostly WvW server, it seems. There's a lot of attitude, especially since FA thinks it's so hot in WvW, but for Season 1 purposefully threw the matches to make sure it didn't get placed against the big boys in the higher tier, so we could keep beating on the mid-tier servers.

Dont think it fair to say that for entire server. The core fa wvw guilds want to go to gold for the fights not ppt. Im pretty sure many pvx guild purposely drop us down because the first place rewards. Then again in that matchup, magumma was trying their hardest to get into gold while at the time fa wvw was going through some issues. What Im trying to say is you can never speak for an entire server as if it was a single community.

Dont think it fair to say that for entire server. The core fa wvw guilds want to go to gold for the fights not ppt. Im pretty sure many pvx guild purposely drop us down because the first place rewards. Then again in that matchup, magumma was trying their hardest to get into gold while at the time fa wvw was going through some issues. What Im trying to say is you can never speak for an entire server as if it was a single community.

Fair enough - I'm only speaking from my personal experience in WvW, and listening to the chatter in there, in LA, and on the TS. I'd grown to quite dislike the WvW guilds on FA as a result. But that's me. I now avoid WvW like the plague anyway, so I'm not one to talk.

th3dude

Arg, I typically can't get on until at least 930 or 10 on Saturdays. Hopefully I can join in late if there is still something to do.

Also, what level is usually needed for missions?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We have missions along with our drawing afterward, starting in about an hour.

You have until the end of our final mission (30 minute countdown on Rush) to buy tickets and the drawing will follow.

Level is completely dependent on simply making it to wherever the mission takes place; they're randomly selected.

We have missions along with our drawing afterward, starting in about an hour.

You have until the end of our final mission (30 minute countdown on Rush) to buy tickets and the drawing will follow.

Level is completely dependent on simply making it to wherever the mission takes place; they're randomly selected.

Fahve Teekets Baught! =^,_,^=

EDIT: Or not. Seems guests can't use the guild bank on a server they're not on. Sorted by mailing Hawkian.

Retro

Arg, I typically can't get on until at least 930 or 10 on Saturdays. Hopefully I can join in late if there is still something to do.

Also, what level is usually needed for missions?

It usually takes us about an hour and a half for missions, depending on what we get. You might be able to get a few in.

Generally level 30 or above for missions, though we've run people through as low as 10. It really depends on what missions we get. Crab Toss? 80. Langmar Estate? 5.

Retro

Congratz to Epic Tofu on the 10g Door prize and Arianda Ulfredrick on the Jackpot: 664g!

Arianda won with one ticket too, so remember to buy tickets for your chance to win.

Shiokazu

thanks for answering my late night SOS.

i would probably be still battling that toad until now if some charrdian and humesmer didnt have helped my sylvarrior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom