• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I appreciate enthusiasm, I hate the parts of the community that get all hyped, with their fetishistic elder-dragon crap, then whine for months when a patch comes out that doesn't have elder dragons dry-humping all the major cities.

markot

Banned
I think primordus would be the most interesting.

So of course it wont be, shell just be on her period or something knowing the fantastic writing we have seen from anet.

Retro

While I appreciate enthusiasm, I hate the parts of the community that get all hyped, with their fetishistic elder-dragon crap, then whine for months when a patch comes out that doesn't have elder dragons dry-humping all the major cities.

That's pretty normal for MMOs, I think we just get overloaded on it because it happens so frequently with this game due to the update cycle. Pre-expansion hype for stuff like WoW was usually through the roof. In fact, the fast update cycle might actually be kind of a good thing; there isn't a lot of time for the hype to really ferment and turn into shit soup.

Proven

That's pretty normal for MMOs, I think we just get overloaded on it because it happens so frequently with this game due to the update cycle. Pre-expansion hype for stuff like WoW was usually through the roof. In fact, the fast update cycle might actually be kind of a good thing; there isn't a lot of time for the hype to really ferment and turn into shit soup.

I'd say that the fast update cycle means that the disappointment doesn't get to ferment for long, rather than the hype.

Lunar15

I'll be honest: I did this and I'm still mad. I want dragons dammit!

I'm all about keeping expectations in check, but this DOES sound a lot like Primordus. But I guess it could also go for the Molten Alliance or something.

All we know so far is that Scarlet:

- Created 3 distinct alliances to form an army
- Spread toxic spores from the nightmare tower

Are these related to the final event? Who knows!

Welp, it was inevitable. Due to new players entering via Queensdale, and coming across the train, they're now starting to spread to other areas as they level up and ask "where's the train for this zone". Starting to see this in all the zones around Queensdale, or other starter zones, as people enter thinking this is the norm.

kiriin

Not happening anytime soon but I want Cantha for an expansion... I think one of strongest point of Guild Wars 2 was art design and atmosphere landscape, i.e. Zephyr Sanctum, the festive events. Good luck to them on the living story though.

Retro

I'd say that the fast update cycle means that the disappointment doesn't get to ferment for long, rather than the hype.

It can go both ways, but you're right; if a less than stellar update comes along, you never really have long to wait until something new comes along. The most disappointing update for so far was the SAB 2, but that at least had Ascended weapons, Magic Find and Scarlet's Invasions were still relatively new from the last update. But even then, we didn't have long to wait for the Taco revamp to sweep in (literally) and shake things up.

My money remains on the Ring of Fire islands and I would be so very happy to see it be so.

I'd be okay with any new zone, given that the last time they added one we got the Labyrinthine Cliffs and that was just tops.

Are these related to the final event? Who knows!

I think Scarlet is engineering an army (since the Toxic Hybrid was a new form of life) that incorporates elements from the various factions she's created. One theory on reddit suggested she didn't actually see the Eternal Alchemy, but because Rata Sum lies along a ley line of dragon energy, she basically got a full dose of a dragon in her head, and she's become it's minion.

I see the molten alliance as a source of weaponry and armor, the toxic alliance as a source of life and the watchwork knights as a form of control. Based on the Nightmare Ends instance, I think the Inquest (via the Aetherblades) provided tech support (since it seems like their device was mostly about data collection) and camouflage (since it mentions Aetheric energy is similar to mesmer magic).

It's wrapping up though, so we'll see.

Welp, it was inevitable. Due to new players entering via Queensdale, and coming across the train, they're now starting to spread to other areas as they level up and ask "where's the train for this zone". Starting to see this in all the zones around Queensdale, or other starter zones, as people enter thinking this is the norm.

Disgusting.

Not happening anytime soon but I want Cantha for an expansion... I think one of strongest point of Guild Wars 2 was art design and atmosphere landscape, i.e. Zephyr Sanctum, the festive events. Good luck to them on the living story though.

I still don't understand why it has to be Living Story or an expansion (it can be both), or why the Living Story can't deliver expansion-style content. Southsun and Labyrinthine Cliffs both show that they can and have added new zones, though there's obviously some growing pains with the tech (in terms of the former) and permanence (in terms of the latter).

The interview with Chris Whiteside seems to boil down to "We had a great first year, but we've learned a lot and you'll see that in the near future." I still say this is the calm before the storm and the next couple of months will be interesting.

Shiokazu

that poem screams scarlet all over. not dragons, just that stupid sylvari person wanting to burn all things so it can run away from The Dream.

My money remains on the Ring of Fire islands and I would be so very happy to see it be so.

only if this math happens:

Kick_%28warrior_utility_skill%29.png
+
449px-Scarlet_Briar.jpg
+
1000px-Ring_of_Fire_Island_Chain_map.jpg
=
gw081.jpg

then i'll be more than happy.

Welp... looks like we have a little bit of sniping to do, eh boys?

round-2-fight.png

jasonng

Hey guys, how active is the Gaf guild now? I haven't played this since launch and I'm looking to jump back in. Not exactly looking for a group to do WvW or something, just looking for a bunch of folks to shoot the shit while playing.

Retro

Hey guys, how active is the Gaf guild now? I haven't played this since launch and I'm looking to jump back in. Not exactly looking for a group to do WvW or something, just looking for a bunch of folks to shoot the shit while playing.

5-15 off-hours, 20-30 primetime, usually 40-50 for missions. The driest times are early morning Eastern time, beyond that there's usually at least a few people on. Lowest I've seen was three of us on Christmas Morning.

Post your name.#### or a character name and we'll get you invited (I'm in bed, but I'll get it first thing in the morning if nobody else does)

jasonng

5-15 off-hours, 20-30 primetime, usually 40-50 for missions. The driest times are early morning Eastern time, beyond that there's usually at least a few people on. Lowest I've seen was three of us on Christmas Morning.

Post your name.#### or a character name and we'll get you invited (I'm in bed, but I'll get it first thing in the morning if nobody else does)

Jason.6389

Thanks.

Reknoc

When I saw the teaser imagine I first thought about RoF, but seeing the full text I'm less sure about that now. Just seems like a generic threat.

RoF is dull anyway and I still want my desert :mad:

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh and what makes you think you're welcome jason? :p

Lottery reminder! We won't have a massive jackpot like last week, but remember this is a pure lottery. Someone who enters will win, and though the pot is smaller the fewer people that enter, it also means you have a better chance to win.
Off-server tickets can be purchased by sending me in-game gold (mention the lottery)

Will post another reminder Sat. afternoon and open up the vault for last-minute buys during our Rush countdown saturday night.

Taffer

Huh, did they remove some enemies in Orr? I don't see the ghostly tengu enemies (called Spirit of Valor I think?) anymore in Malchor's Leap.

The mobs lingering around the various god statues change when the corresponding temple is cleared, I think those spirity things only appear underwater as well.

Man it felt really good playing again. I got a bunch of the bosses done, did some of the ned of nightmare, spent an hour trying to reset my traits. Lots of fun to be had.

th3dude

Continuing to have a blast now that I'm back playing.

Finally finished the winterland JP. I suck at JPs.

Had a great GAF group run AC3 last night. We cleared burrows out of the lovers chamber so fast that I think we broke it :p

I do miss hurling those boulders though.

Continuing to have a blast now that I'm back playing.

Finally finished the winterland JP. I suck at JPs.

Had a great GAF group run AC3 last night. We cleared burrows out of the lovers chamber so fast that I think we broke it :p

I do miss hurling those boulders though.
We got to get some wubwub time together.

th3dude

We got to get some wubwub time together.

Definitely. Sorry I wasn't around that night.

I jumped into a huge group last night in the eternal battlegrounds and followed the commander around. I gained like 3 levels in an hour. It was unreal. We were dominating. Although I had little clue what we were doing lol.

Proven

So the current most dominate EU team just got beat in the weekly ESL Cup 2-0 with the final points coming from what can only be described as a Buzzer Beat Lord Kill on Foefire. There are ongoing disputes over the timer but, welp, #LordHelseth.

GW2 PvP 2014 off to a good start. Also, Tage is an amazing Guardian. Now I'm going to listen to the opening to Buzzer Beat again.

You want to be VIP? (Haw won't like this)

From data mining:
qZCwB0m.jpg

This is only bad if we assume this has something to do with a subscription plan. I guess even if it existed not like they will stop you from playing if you don't get that.

I know this isn't even out and it could never come out, its from data mining edge of the mists client, but even if it comes out hope it isn't because they are not making enough money to keep things going.

EDIT: nothing to worry about this method is only for china I believe because things are done differently over there when it comes to MMOs.

th3dude

Hmmmm. That is very interesting. Possibly going to an 'optional' subscription a la PS+ (pre PS4)? Exclusive access to features and convenience things.

If I'm playing regularly, I'd think about something like that. We'll see what happens though.

Proven

If it really is a subscription GW2 would be the first MMO I know of to go from no subscription to subscription as a restructure plan.

Something about it puts a bad taste in my mouth in principle. You could compare it something like Xbox Live or PS+ (and it actually might be something small like $5 a month instead of the usual $10-$15 from other MMOs). But out of context it still feels like a subscription that if I'm not paying for makes me feel like "I don't love this game enough to put my money where my mouth is."

I'm being weird. The most worthwhile part of this post is that it might be a $5 per month bonus plan.

Lunar15

I think if you added something like "One Free Insta-80 Scroll", that could be an interesting proposition.

However, the bad taste in my mouth is the fact that we already paid for this game. But I've had that bad taste this whole time. This is basically "front-loading" all the stuff you'd want to buy down the line, which isn't that bad, really. There's nothing in here that's that far out of what's already being offered behind the paywall.

Retro

LotRO kept a program like this when they went F2P, all it really did was automatically give you 500 Turbine Points (their equivalent of gems) each month and a bunch of extra goodies. Of course, the way they organized their content (you had to pay to unlock zones), it was a big deal because it basically allowed you to just go wherever you want and not worry you hadn't bought the Lone Lands or whatever. I was actually surprised ArenaNet didn't offer something like this right out of the gate.

As for the actual details, everything but the gemstore discounts, teleport and resurrection buff sound fine. I do worry about the teleport and resurrection thing being abused, but they're smart enough to keep it out of WvW and PvP where it would cause pay-to-win style conflicts.

Lot of typos in there, and the art seems a little more copypasta than usual. It's either really really early or fake. But the fact that it's believable says a lot.

Edit: Haha, Reddit is exploding: "If this is real, FUCK THIS SHIT I AM QUITTING", etc. I love the predictability of gaming communities, even the tiniest whisper of anything slightly different (not even bad) sets them into a rabid frenzy.

Ashodin

LotRO kept a program like this when they went F2P, all it really did was automatically give you 500 Turbine Points (their equivalent of gems) each month and a bunch of extra goodies. Of course, the way they organized their content (you had to pay to unlock zones), it was a big deal because it basically allowed you to just go wherever you want and not worry you hadn't bought the Lone Lands or whatever. I was actually surprised ArenaNet didn't offer something like this right out of the gate.

As for the actual details, everything but the gemstore discounts, teleport and resurrection buff sound fine. I do worry about the teleport and resurrection thing being abused, but they're smart enough to keep it out of WvW and PvP where it would cause pay-to-win style conflicts.

Lot of typos in there, and the art seems a little more copypasta than usual. It's either really really early or fake. But the fact that it's believable says a lot.

Edit: Haha, Reddit is exploding: "If this is real, FUCK THIS SHIT I AM QUITTING", etc. I love the predictability of gaming communities, even the tiniest whisper of anything slightly different (not even bad) sets them into a rabid frenzy.

Well this is surprising, to say the least. I guess this is their solution to gem store monies going down, keep a specific group paying if they want, but everything you can get (mostly) piecemeal.

Proven

As it stands, I wonder what they would put together for the final package. From the pic alone there isn't much there that entices me. I still don't have my bank maxed out, I already have 8 character slots, and an extra bag slot wouldn't be worth it unless it was one for each of my characters.

It'd be easier for me to not pay for it than to work it into my current budget. Then there are the whales who are mostly maxed out on this stuff (hence the extra slot stuff which I believe would go beyond the current max slot limits) who'd only opt in just because. This sort of plan would be aiming at more of the people in the middle, so I wonder how many of them exist.

Are full on marketing images often pulled out through the data mining? I mean isn't it usually just item codes and descriptions? I don't follow the mining closely at all so I have no idea.

Retro

Well this is surprising, to say the least. I guess this is their solution to gem store monies going down, keep a specific group paying if they want, but everything you can get (mostly) piecemeal.

I don't get the impression that gem store sales are going down. There was a HUGE spike around Christmas in the price of gems, which would suggest that a lot of people were buying gems or cashing in gem cards.

I still say it's an early proof (typos, art quality) for something that was unintentionally slipped in to a beta build.

Ashodin

I don't get the impression that gem store sales are going down. There was a HUGE spike around Christmas in the price of gems, which would suggest that a lot of people were buying gems or cashing in gem cards.

I still say it's an early proof (typos, art quality) for something that was unintentionally slipped in to a beta build.

I may or may not have a new Mini Mr. Sparkles.

Proven

Reminds me, I finally got my green quaggan backpack for buying the collection expander last month. I need to decide which character to give it to...

Also, looking at the reddit thread it looks like there are VIP "ranks". If it's like a subscription service, I could picture that you rank up for consecutive months on the subscription plan, and then stuff like the extra bank slot or character slots are given out for free once you reach a certain rank.

hythloday

If I was ArenaNet I would intentionally put bogus shit in the code just to throw data miners off.

"The game's getting a Legendary Poo-on-a-Stick!! And flying waffles!"

I miss patch days in EQ. Aside from the occasional website update or forum post, patch days contained almost all the mystery of Christmas morning. Including the occasional socks.

Retro

Yeah, I got it and the backpack. My brother and I took advantage of the gift exchange and bought Black Lion keys for each other. I'm not even big on minis and I don't have any characters I'd give the backpack to, but it's still nice to get freebies.

Proven

There was a thread like this on gafguild.com, but what sort of stuff have you guys bought from the gem store?

The collection expander was the first time since before launch I spent any real money on gems (when I bought my extra character slots) and it was only because it was the holidays and I figured, why not get a quaggan backpack?

Well, that and because I spent all my gold buying up finishers (of which there were no sales for, mind you!). I seem to constantly hover around 100 gold, +/-50. One of these days I'm going to get the 200 gold in the bank achievement.

Retro

Since launch I've bought;
- 4 character slots,
- The max number of bank slots (can't be helped, I'm a hoarder),
- 3 of the unlimited gathering tools (Molten, Aether, Karka),
- Medium Aetherblade armor (Engineer),
- Heavy Phalanx armor (Warrior),
- Braham's Armor (Guardian),
- Maybe 100 Black Lion keys total (50 of those were part of the holiday exchange thing though). Maybe more, I usually will just pick up a few if I have gems just sitting there.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things I've bought, but I'd say almost all of that was purchased when it was on sale. The Black Lion Keys I never buy at full price, for example. I really don't mind, it's going to a game I support and I'm paying for things I want, on my terms, not pissing money away on a mandatory subscription.

Edit: Ya know what, I'm 90% sure I've bought a bunch of holiday minis (when they were cool / adorable) and at least one bag slot for my warrior.

Taffer

I've probably spent between sixty and eighty pounds over the last year but I couldn't tell you what's been bought with gems from cash and what's from converted gold. I don't see anything particularly interesting in that list of bonuses though - I'd want the convenient bank/TP jobbies if I didn't have them already and I can live without the rest.
We'll see what happens when there's official word on what exactly the bonuses are and how you get them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom