• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Im guessing ive spent more then 15$ a month on this game all up >_<

Did you end up getting a refund for the game, or just for the gems you spent? I can't remember which it was. It's not a loaded question or anything and you can ignore me, I'm just trying to remember which it was.

Bingo. I'd spend more than $15 a month if I felt it was worth it.

The reaction on Reddit to this datamined thing is interesting, because you have so many people flipping out that they're 'going back on their word' and offering a subscription (never mind that it's optional, for items people already buy anyways). I keep looking at my bank slots and mini collection and trying to sort out of I bought stuff with gems, got from boxes or converted gold to gems to buy, and I honestly feel like my list is lowballing it, and I'm pretty sure I fall firmly into the "I've paid more than I would have if there was a sub" camp. Because I know for a FACT my wife and I spent $150 each because I had $300 sitting in my paypal account right before the game launched. It's probably good there isn't a full record of how much I've spent, I would probably be very very surprised how fast it adds up.

Apart from the 'I chose to spend it' approach, there's also the fact that I've spent all of $40 on games last year (Most of those heavily discounted impulse purchases on Steam, like Civ V, Mark of the Ninja, FTL, Starbound, etc.). MMOs are gaming sponges, soaking up all your free time.

Remfin

Remember, the Royal Terrace thing was supposed to be a quasi-subscription. I imagine that bombed hard (hence the perma-pass), so they're moving onto the new attempt for subscription money.

I also like how people are jumping to the conclusion that it would be a sub system, were it to happen. More likely, and keeping in line with what we've seen Anet do so far, it'd be a one-time account upgrade, like the Xunlai upgrade. It'd remove a lot of gold (via gem conversions to pay for it) from the market.

Also, people who become VIP are more likely to spend money/gold on gemstore items, due to the "it's cheaper so I'll buy more" principle. Dolphins and all that.

Side thought:

GW2 is only launching in China later this year. I just realized - are they going to start on day one of Living Story? If so, that'd be kinda crappy - they would know a year in advance what's coming.

Asd202

You want to be VIP? (Haw won't like this)

From data mining:
qZCwB0m.jpg

This is only bad if we assume this has something to do with a subscription plan. I guess even if it existed not like they will stop you from playing if you don't get that.

I know this isn't even out and it could never come out, its from data mining edge of the mists client, but even if it comes out hope it isn't because they are not making enough money to keep things going.

Whelp if this goes into the game I'm done with it.

I'd probably sign up, if it was a once-off upgrade.

Also: I don't understand that kind of thinking. "Oh here's a thing I don't want, won't pay for, and that isn't required to enjoy the game or impacts me in any way, or gives others power over me - time to stop playing!"

I don't get it. I guess I could understand if one wanted to object based on what might be perceived as moral reasons, but in gaming, that'd be a hard sell.

Show's over.

We just wanted to respond to the image that has been data-mined from the Edge of the Mists testing branch. This is a testing branch. We conduct internal experiments for various territories on our testing branches. This particular experiment is not being tested for the West. As always, keep in mind that we test a lot more than we ship, so data-mining is no guarantee of anything. If we have announcements to make about future content, we’ll make them through the usual official channels.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/VIP-Membership/page/5#post3474276

Now everyone can go back to complaining about the PvE, PvP, WvW, that they're not playing because they quit months ago they swear.

Proven

I also like how people are jumping to the conclusion that it would be a sub system, were it to happen. More likely, and keeping in line with what we've seen Anet do so far, it'd be a one-time account upgrade, like the Xunlai upgrade. It'd remove a lot of gold (via gem conversions to pay for it) from the market.

Also, people who become VIP are more likely to spend money/gold on gemstore items, due to the "it's cheaper so I'll buy more" principle. Dolphins and all that.

Side thought:

GW2 is only launching in China later this year. I just realized - are they going to start on day one of Living Story? If so, that'd be kinda crappy - they would know a year in advance what's coming.

A one-time upgrade would be interesting, but then why are there ranks? There are a lot of places they could go with this, so yeah, it's interesting to muse about.

As for China, I believe they're going to be on separate servers from us, right? Like, an entire extra data center beyond the NA and EU regions currently, and possibly without the ability to transfer between them.

The biggest thing is whether or not they'll start on the Living Story right at launch. I doubt they will, but how long will they wait? It's possible to sync the releases between Western and China GW2, but (assuming that it's releasing in the latter half of the year) they would have to delay season 2 of the Living Story for a few months.

The next question is how much feature parity there will be, because then they'll need to push out any other system based things as quickly as possible before their testing gamut increases for the worries of keeping up quality on another live server (e.g. less iteration before changes are pushed through). I could be overblowing how much this is an issue, and for all I know they're already doing the extra testing now.

Thankfully, stuff like profession balance shouldn't take any work to test, although tooltips may come out with more mistakes.

Edit:

Show's over.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/VIP-Membership/page/5#post3474276

Now everyone can go back to complaining about the PvE, PvP, WvW, that they're not playing because they quit months ago they swear.

Aww, but there's still at least a week and a half before a balance preview post can take up all my attention.

A one-time upgrade would be interesting, but then why are there ranks? There are a lot of places they could go with this, so yeah, it's interesting to muse about..

It may be moot now, since they've confirmed it's not for us: the ranks were likely a way to have people upgrade several times, giving people a bit of vertical chasing to do. It's not a dumb idea, and no worse than most F2P structures - although in GW2, you could buy it using in-game gold, which for some reason is lauded in EVE but frowned upon in GW2, go figure.

Retro

Show's over.

Seems pretty obvious given the way the asian market tends to play MMOs (In internet cafes for short bursts, with subscription fees that are hourly rather than monthly). Especially the Teleport-to-friends thing, which seems tailor made for getting to your friends and playing as quickly as possible. I believe Microtransactions are also less popular overseas, thus all the incorporation of gem store features as part of a 'package' (character slots, bank slots, etc.).

As usual, the forums / reddit / internet flips out over nothing as usual.

Retro

The skills have not changed. But perhaps you, as a player, have - so there's reason to try. Or try a different class / weapon loadout.

To be fair, they slightly changed the Warrior sword skill to add in the Final Thrust ability.

But yeah, this is solid advice no matter what.

kiriin

When has GW2 Subreddit not lost their shit over an announcement? :p. I still remember the whole Ascended gear treadmill nonsense.

Retro

When has GW2 Subreddit not lost their shit over an announcement? :p. I still remember the whole Ascended gear treadmill nonsense.

Pretty much true. Even when things are announced through official channels, tables still get flipped.

Not exclusive to the Guild Wars community either.

Show's over.

"We just wanted to respond to the image that has been data-mined from the Edge of the Mists testing branch. This is a testing branch. We conduct internal experiments for various territories on our testing branches. This particular experiment is not being tested for the West. As always, keep in mind that we test a lot more than we ship, so data-mining is no guarantee of anything. If we have announcements to make about future content, we&#8217;ll make them through the usual official channels."

Eh, I never knew Anet was even considering different payment modalities for different territories, given that the entire game has been hitherto been played the exact same way for players from North America, Europe, Australia, South East Asia and Korea without any prior data-mining suggesting otherwise, as far as I'm aware. Wouldn't be surprised if this was back-pedaling damage control.

Edit: If players from territories outside NA do pay for this game in a different manner, like Korea's timecards for GW1 example (mentioned in that Reddit thread), then I stand corrected.

Retro

Eh, I never knew Anet was even considering different payment modalities for different territories, given that the entire game has been hitherto been played the exact same way for players from North America, Europe, Australia, South East Asia and Korea without any prior data-mining suggesting otherwise, as far as I'm aware. Wouldn't be surprised if this was back-pedaling damage control.

Edit: If players from territories outside NA do pay for this game in a different manner, like in Retro's GW1 example, then I stand corrected.

China is a completely different beast when it comes to MMOs. Games usually need a major overhaul and have absurd levels of oversight by the government. Most companies have to go through a Chinese intermediary company.

Which GW1 example did I make, though? I was talking about LotRO earlier.

China is a completely different beast when it comes to MMOs. Games usually need a major overhaul and have absurd levels of oversight by the government. Most companies have to go through a Chinese intermediary company.
The Anet quote inferred that they've been testing different things for different territories even before this came up, but I'm probably reading too much into it.

Which GW1 example did I make, though? I was talking about LotRO earlier.
Sorry, corrected my post. It was from the Reddit thread.

Hey so I used to get a bug where my audio would just turn into a beep back when I first played GW2. The solution was to lower my audio quality, which I think I did.

Since then I've built my own PC and been fine for a long time. Now I just get a glitch where my audio is just only the music or some ambient sounds and nothing else. Ideas?

nataku

You want to be VIP? (Haw won't like this)

From data mining:
qZCwB0m.jpg

This is only bad if we assume this has something to do with a subscription plan. I guess even if it existed not like they will stop you from playing if you don't get that.

I know this isn't even out and it could never come out, its from data mining edge of the mists client, but even if it comes out hope it isn't because they are not making enough money to keep things going.

I don't know how I'd feel about a sub fee while still having to dish out money to purchase gems as well.

The gem store discounts would have to be significant. Much more than the discounts they had through sales in the past.

EDIT: Guess I should finish reading the thread before replying.

I've probably spent around $80 on gems. I've mostly used it on upgrades, like extra bank slots, extra character inventory slots, a couple collection expanders, etc...I did buy a charr backpack skin though. I don't mind buying gems occasionally since I've played the game a lot since its release and I enjoy ANet's model.

I know it's for China and it's not happening here but, if it did...just a thought for discussion...

If they were to do a sub like PS+ I wouldn't subscribe. This is the only MMO I play because it doesn't have a sub, nor a shitty F2P model, holding it back. That wouldn't change for me, I'd still play it as it is until I no longer could. On the flip side, I'd probably stop buying gems as well because I would feel that my money is "not good enough" in the sense that other people can pay to be at an advantage over me regardless of what I do.

Lunar15

I haven't played this game for several months and I feel like I still know all of the dialogue from COF1 by heart. I don't consider this a good thing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well that was funny. Sort of torn I missed it in real-time, but ha...

"the exclusive benefits that make like worth living"

Something to bear in mind is that they're probably going to try out a whole slew of differnet pricing models and optional approaches working in concert for the eastern release. The "true buy2play" model just doesn't exist in the traditional mass markets over there (hell, it barely exists here with basically GW1, GW2 and TSW the only major games to have really embraced it so far).

Tiered one-time purchase membership is not out of the question for them, nor are optional subscriptions at differing price points for gimmicky advantages like this, or a fully pre-purchased time system.

I think what's funny to me is that so much was assumed from the text of that image. Miktar covered this, but essentially everyone immediately interpreted "optional subscription" and on reddit began debating the merit of an "optional subscription" that included this sort of stuff... how do you get that from the image? Is it the "sign me up?" :p None of the benefits offered would really make sense to pay for on a continuous basis...

Aaaanyway, I don't think an actually optional subscription will ever be in the cards for us out here in the west. I wouldn't rule out a one-time account upgrade with a package of services along some of the same lines, but "no subscription fees" is too much of a power position/brand differentiator for them in this market.

It's funny but, it's also sad. The state of the gaming culture is such that gamers (not all obviously) see something minuscule and assume it's the next screw job some big company is going to try to pull over them. It speaks a lot about the disconnect between the pubs/devs and their audience.

Lunar15

It's funny but, it's also sad. The state of the gaming culture is such that gamers (not all obviously) see something minuscule and assume it's the next screw job some big company is going to try to pull over them. It speaks a lot about the disconnect between the pubs/devs and their audience.

It's not specific to gamers. It's just part of the nature of the internet. It's also something that gets magnified: individuals might not actually care that much, but you add up a bunch of posts stating mild indifference, and it starts to sound like irrational hate. Then it becomes irrational hate.

Although, I still see the internet as largely a positive place, believe it or not.

Levyne

Banned
That art is awesome. Few avatars in the making in that.

Edit:

Sad Siafra

IHsOJL0.png

Sad Kos contemplating blowing himself up.

W6AT3h5.png

Chibi Arken

DcozjZW.png

hythloday

I think what's funny to me is that so much was assumed from the text of that image. Miktar covered this, but essentially everyone immediately interpreted "optional subscription" and on reddit began debating the merit of an "optional subscription" that included this sort of stuff... how do you get that from the image? Is it the "sign me up?" :p None of the benefits offered would really make sense to pay for on a continuous basis...

"An image has appeared with little to no context! All hypothetical negative eventualities that are appearing in my brain are true and will come to pass! I must voice my displeasure - Quick, TO THE INTERNET!"

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/494199178

Interesting watch.

Marjoy and Kasmeer centric update on Feb 4th.

D'awwww, Valentines Day is during that time too. <3

"An image has appeared with little to no context! All hypothetical negative eventualities that are appearing in my brain are true and will come to pass! I must voice my displeasure - Quick, TO THE INTERNET!"

D'awwww, Valentines Day is during that time too. <3

Has any other game has major characters in a story that were gay? I feel like ANET are at the forefront by creating the characters of Marjory and Kasmeere.

Taffer

Has any other game has major characters in a story that were gay? I feel like ANET are at the forefront by creating the characters of Marjory and Kasmeere.

Fallout: New Vegas is the first one that springs to mind. On that note, of the four Sylvari couples I can think of in the personal story, three are gay.

markot

Banned
I now have a lvl 80 of everything except Guardian!

>_<

Why do I favour condition builds on all my classes!?

Also, I dont get condition caps in pve, I mean, they dont cap the damage other specs can do >.> theres no crit cap or a hit cap!

Retro

Also, I dont get condition caps in pve, I mean, they dont cap the damage other specs can do >.> theres no crit cap or a hit cap!

One non-answer answer, coming up!

Why is condition damage intentionally restricted?
”We don’t restriction condition damage in any intentional way there are limits to the number of stacks on a target and gadgets cannot be targeted with conditions both of these are more of a result of our tech. These are limitations that we often work around and we are always looking for more ways to make condition damage interesting across all game types.” ~Isaiah Cartwright(source)

Basically "We're working on it", which is at least a better response than Charr Armor gets, so.... /shrug

BrettWeir

Been a few months since I've logged in. Not sure exactly why, but I just don't want to log in during the whole Wintersday thing. Waiting to see what the next update brings. Looking forward to it :) What I miss most, is watching Vyrance solo Taco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom