• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Honestly, I'm really wanting to explore the depths of the oceans. There can't only be krait and karka there.
Also playable Largos and Kodan thanks Anet gods

Playable Quaggans, just to spite you.

I agree that we'll probably eventually get some underwater-only zones, since there's an underwater dragon and the game has an entire aquatic combat mode (whether you agree that it's good or not, it does exist).

Somebody on Reddit datamined a globe texture from the game and the area that we've explored (in both GW1 and 2) was pretty tiny. The reason I mention it is that there was a big inland sea on it, east of the Crystal Desert. That'd be one way to go, a large body of water but one with clear borders. Doing the open sea might be a little difficult.

I missed out on guild missions last night, so I'll be there for make-ups today for sure.

Guild Mission Make-up: Start at 3pm EST/12pm PST (server time)/8pm GMT.

Hopefully there will be enough to run then all.

Retro

I missed out on guild missions last night, so I'll be there for make-ups today for sure.

Guild Mission Make-up: Start at 3pm EST/12pm PST (server time)/8pm GMT.

Hopefully there will be enough to run then all.

If I can get my arse in gear and get my trip to the store done here soon, I should definitely be on.

Retro

I may actually make it today. Is level 50ish good enough?

For just about everything except the Southsun Rush and Challenge. Bounties are usually in that range (since we just bumrush the easiest target) and the highest level puzzles are in level 15-25 zones.

Armaros

For just about everything except the Southsun Rush and Challenge. Bounties are usually in that range (since we just bumrush the easiest target) and the highest level puzzles are in level 15-25 zones.

Sucks that I'm working :(

*cries in corner with my cookies*

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Was bested by the Winter Wonderland JP tonight. Gonna have to come back to it. Damn snowball skritt got me too many times..

A real Charr out in the wild

GDXog.png

It was a Bifrost party at the west laser during the Megadestroyer meta (big thanks to Vyrance for rounding up the Ulgoth zerg and leading us there)
ibe2dkPG4uU5GD.png

Oh Anet
i95CzdcAPSQpz.png

The asura captain nearby wields a pistol and warhorn, to boot.

I'm so sad I needed to leave so soon D:
Yesterday I bought a new computer, so I should be able to play more/on the right hours. Sadly GW2 is like 16GB and the download didn't finish in time D:
If you have an USB stick with enough space or an external hard drive, just copy the Guild Wars 2 folder from old computer into the new one and you will be good to go. No need to redownload.

If you have an USB stick with enough space or an external hard drive, just copy the Guild Wars 2 folder from old computer into the new one and you will be good to go. No need to redownload.
The download finished during the night so it's not a problem anymore. Anyway, I had tried to do that before, but the USB stick didn't let me copy the file as it was too big. I would have had to format it differently, but I had other files in there.
Now I just have to see how ell it runs.

Proven

First thing: So someone put out a great post listing all the issues with PvE that caused the current DPS is king meta.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...ear-the-air-about-Berserker/first#post3487840

It's more than one post, and long, but a really good read.

Second thing: Someone asked a week or so ago about karma grinding. I mentioned Fractals of the Mists back then but I only recently decided to go look into the exact amounts.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractal_Karma_Reward_Table

Basically, if you're doing a Fractal level that's up to ten levels below your personal level, you get a boost in karma. The very minimum, completing a level 1 Fractal while your personal level is 11, gives you 6,480 karma for the run. I can't compare this to other parts of the game (like the WvW karma trains that are often bandied about) but this seems like a decent amount that requires less people and is a viable option at more times of the day. The karma gained from Fractals is also affected by karma boosts.

Ended up doing a bunch of jumping puzzles (from a guide) over the weekend to complete the monthly. Most of them weren't so bad, though the last one I picked was more traps than jumps. o_O

Woot finally 8 level 80's now i can play this game with any class i want, just like GW1...although in GW1 it took like 6 hours to level your character to 20 once factions was released..

Retro

First thing: So someone put out a great post listing all the issues with PvE that caused the current DPS is king meta.

Blarg, where was this last night when my power went out, I needed something to read to distract me from the thundering sound of silence, and there was no way I was getting any sleep (I can't sleep without some kind of background noise, we use a desk fan).

Almost done with it now, but he makes some good points and doesn't derail into "ARENANET = LAZY" territory. Of course the first response would be "TL;DR", though.

Ended up doing a bunch of jumping puzzles (from a guide) over the weekend to complete the monthly. Most of them weren't so bad, though the last one I picked was more traps than jumps. o_O

Hmmm. Sharkmaw caverns or Loreclaw expanse? I think those are the big 'trap' JPs.

realcZk

Finally getting around to GW2 and ready to dump some serious time in. Would like to join the GAF guild if there are any spots:

cZk.1824

Fired up Guild Wars 1 with the aim of doing... something. I dunno. And it's like, the more time passes, the more impenetrable the game becomes. I have no idea what I'm doing anymore, the quest log is a mess of disjointed quests, there's a billion skills and like 7 characters to sort out before even leaving the hub zone...

I don't know how to have *fun* in Guild Wars 1 anymore. I want to pick off some more HoM, or just play it for the sake of playing, but I honestly don't know how this game was ever fun (even though I have hundreds? of hours in it).

I know it was fun, once. But now? It looks about as appealing as an Excel spreadsheet. What am I doing wrong?

Grayman

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...ear-the-air-about-Berserker/first#post3487840

It's more than one post, and long, but a really good read.

Second thing: Someone asked a week or so ago about karma grinding. I mentioned Fractals of the Mists back then but I only recently decided to go look into the exact amounts.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractal_Karma_Reward_Table

Basically, if you're doing a Fractal level that's up to ten levels below your personal level, you get a boost in karma. The very minimum, completing a level 1 Fractal while your personal level is 11, gives you 6,480 karma for the run. I can't compare this to other parts of the game (like the WvW karma trains that are often bandied about) but this seems like a decent amount that requires less people and is a viable option at more times of the day. The karma gained from Fractals is also affected by karma boosts.

Gave the zerker one a big long read and that all seems spot on. The same posters solutions linked in that thread all seem great as well but not something that is realistic to expect from a released game. Now I am in the MMO sadness cycle.

Grayman

Fired up Guild Wars 1 with the aim of doing... something. I dunno. And it's like, the more time passes, the more impenetrable the game becomes. I have no idea what I'm doing anymore, the quest log is a mess of disjointed quests, there's a billion skills and like 7 characters to sort out before even leaving the hub zone...

I don't know how to have *fun* in Guild Wars 1 anymore. I want to pick off some more HoM, or just play it for the sake of playing, but I honestly don't know how this game was ever fun (even though I have thousands of hours in it).

I know it was fun, once. But now? It looks about as appealing as an Excel spreadsheet. What am I doing wrong?
I think that happened to me when I tried going back years ago (but after playing the last add on). Heroes just added so much complexity. I guess if I was going to play GW1 right now what I would do is look up builds http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page then ease back in by doing some random activities like clearing a zone or doing missions again before looking at the quest log or a specific HOM.

I absolutely loved guild wars 1 at times, but the time I loved it the most was before factions with only 6 classes, simpler armor, fewer upgrades, less of an Excel spreadsheet and more smart design.

I guess if I was going to play GW1 right now what I would do is look up builds http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page.

I actually tried that, having used PvX before - but all the builds on there require you to have captured weird out of the way skills off monsters, or bought them using one of a billion strange currencies related to doing tasks for dipships from the north or spazwazes from the east, who won't even talk to you until you've proven your worth by slaying 100 Things from the Overthere. It's crazy.

And oddly, trying to find just a straightforward: so, you have a Warrior with a hammer? Try these skills you have basically from the start of the game, and go here and get on this quest path? No joy. It also doesn't help that I have a full selection of characters on the selection screen, and I don't think a single one of them has even finished Eye of the North. Most of them are parked there though, I think each one has a tapestry added to a different slot for the HoM, but I'd be damned if I can figure out which has what, or where you even go to get a weapon to dedicate, etc.

It's actually impressive how much of a mess Guild Wars 1 is now. It really highlights for me the better part of having a Living Story, rather than compounding random systems on random systems until you end up with this hydra-headed ouroboros. I'd like to give myself a simple task and follow through, so as to eventually get more HoM points, I guess.

There are those 'manuals' which were added long after I stopped playing, which you fill up by doing dungeons or story or something - but I'm not sure if those are even worth bothering to finish, or if they were just added as busywork for people who wanted more to do.

Heh, I've spent way too much time reading up on this. Apologies to Miktar if I'm treading old Umbra ground.

I have a severe case of PC upgraditis and I need to convince myself that upgrading my AMD 7950 will not help me for GW2. But I've noticed so many frame drops and stuttering in solo open world PvE at 1080p60, especially when rotating the camera, that it's bugging me.

I've read so many posts on other forums that the game can easily be locked at ultra settings @ 60+ fps in non-zerg open world PvE but I keep running into so many pockets in multiple zones where the fps just shudders and drops. Another infamous example to me is the beginning of CoF explorable; just looking at the first WP just sinks your fps into the 40s (and it's an instanced zone!).

I have a large favor to ask of anyone with a ridiculous modern GPU:

If you can replicate this exact screenshot with your settings window up, 1080p and all options maxed/checked (except for antialiasing and native sampling- I use Radeon Pro's SMAA and AMD cards can't do out-of-the-box supersampling) and your GPU can stay at a rock solid 60 fps, I'll be sold.

This is a location in Ashford Plains, at the edge of Lamia Mire. I jumped up a few rocks and rotated my camera towards the largest tree in the swamp. This isn't Black Citadel or Lion's Arch; this is a simple swamp with no dynamic events, explosions or nearby players and there really should be no excuse for a gaming PC not to stay at 60 fps unless my GPU doesn't have enough brute strength.

Now, if you have a 780/Titan/780Ti/280X/290/290X and say, "Sorry hockeypuck, I rotate my camera around that same swamp and my fps actually dips into the mid-50's quite a few times, it's all CPU bottleneck," then I'll finally put my upgraditis to rest for a long time and just enjoy the damn game, lol.

Retro

The same posters solutions linked in that thread all seem great as well but not something that is realistic to expect from a released game.

You'd be surprised. The entire rendering engine needed to be re-written to remove Culling. The Account Wallet was a major undertaking that touched every single account. The Magic Find changes were also pretty substantial. If any developer is going to make large-scale changes to solve problems, I'm inclined to believe it's this one.

Heh, I've spent way too much time reading up on this. Apologies to Miktar if I'm treading old Umbra ground.

I have a severe case of PC upgraditis and I need to convince myself that upgrading my AMD 7950 will not help me for GW2. But I've noticed so many frame drops and stuttering in solo open world PvE at 1080p60, especially when rotating the camera, that it's bugging me.

I've read so many posts on other forums that the game can easily be locked at ultra settings @ 60+ fps in non-zerg open world PvE but I keep running into so many pockets in multiple zones where the fps just shudders and drops. Another infamous example to me is the beginning of CoF explorable; just looking at the first WP just sinks your fps into the 40s (and it's an instanced zone!).

If you can replicate this exact screenshot with your settings window up, 1080p and all options maxed/checked (except for antialiasing and native sampling- I use Radeon Pro's SMAA and AMD cards can't do out-of-the-box supersampling) and your GPU can stay at a rock solid 60 fps, I'll be sold.

This is a location in Ashford Plains, at the edge of Lamia Mire. I jumped up a few rocks and rotated my camera towards the largest tree in the swamp. This isn't Black Citadel or Lion's Arch; this is a simple swamp with no dynamic events, explosions or nearby players and there really should be no excuse for a gaming PC not stay at 60 fps unless my GPU doesn't have enough brute strength.

Now, if you have a 780/Titan/780Ti/280X/290/290X and say, "Sorry hockeypuck, I rotate my camera around that same swamp and my fps actually dips into the mid-50's quite a few times, then I'll finally put my upgraditis to rest for a long time and just enjoy the damn game, lol.

Will you accept SLI of two lesser GPUs then the 7series? using 2 560s with everything on high or ultra and getting 88 - 90 FPS in that spot.

Grayman

You'd be surprised. The entire rendering engine needed to be re-written to remove Culling. The Account Wallet was a major undertaking that touched every single account. The Magic Find changes were also pretty substantial. If any developer is going to make large-scale changes to solve problems, I'm inclined to believe it's this one.
Those are substantial but do not seem as large of an undertaking as rejiggering monster stats and skills and rewriting the ai to make them "smart" almost botlike then changing spawn layouts as neccessary for interesting combat challenges.

Would absolutely love if the PVE did take a step up like that. I just see asking for all or most enemies to effectively heal, snare, dodge, kite, and work as a team is a epic overhaul.

Sadly, reports are AMD cards suffer in GW2.

icS8nOjseFbgy.jpg

I get 60fps here:

I'm running i5 @ 3.40GHz (clocked to 4.2), 8GB RAM, 2 x GTX 560 SE - and while the SLI cards do a lot for smoothing the 60fps, it's the CPU that does most of the work trying to get it there. When looking around this area, my FPS also stutters to 40-50fps, depending on how fast I rotate the camera.

Proven

Those are substantial but do not seem as large of an undertaking as rejiggering monster stats and skills and rewriting the ai to make them "smart" almost botlike then changing spawn layouts as neccessary for interesting combat challenges.

Would absolutely love if the PVE did take a step up like that. I just see asking for all or most enemies to effectively heal, snare, dodge, kite, and work as a team is a epic overhaul.
I think it's possible, but it'll be slow. Very slow. I think about how they revamped the AC dungeon last year but then didn't get to any other dungeon. Not even a dungeon once every four months. I'd think that the group that accomplished the dungeon overhaul was on a feature team rather than a Living Story team, but it seems like they got drafted to help finish other stuff up (assuming they didn't single handedly create the Aetherpath).

So, assuming that they got their cyclical updates out of the way... (I walked a friend through Wintersday this morning and when I thought about all the content I had to explain I realized just how much stuff there was. I mean, there are 5 activities tied to just Wintersday right now) they may now be better able to do more feature updates that update and change current content rather than systems.

We're also overdue for a new PvP map... and we're getting another Ready Up episode this Friday if all things go as planned.
Tis is me or do WP costs be higher?

You know, I never did find out the time frame for Ellen's council win prize.

swnny

Now, if you have a 780/Titan/780Ti/280X/290/290X and say, "Sorry hockeypuck, I rotate my camera around that same swamp and my fps actually dips into the mid-50's quite a few times, it's all CPU bottleneck," then I'll finally put my upgraditis to rest for a long time and just enjoy the damn game, lol.

I'm with a single GTX 760, FX-8320 (clocked at 4.5GHz) and 8GB of RAM, and that same spot I get exactly 58FPS with or without rotating the camera.

I'd say, just don't stress about it. The game engine is so poorly optimized, that even on latest i7s and few high end GPUs in SLI/Xfire with tons of RAM, you will experience some sort of frame drops.

If you check both the CPU and GPU usage (using AfterBurner for example) while playing GW2, you will see that neither of them are utilized as good as they should be. Our only chance is Anet to sit on their butts and optimize the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom