• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

She needs heroes to enforce the restraining order she put on Logan.

An update where we beat up Logan? Almost as good as an update where we beat up Trahearne!

Also, sheesh, was writ of exaltation really not working that well with many skills?

Retro

So they're basically streamlining how event-based weapon skins work. Instead of buying Dragon Coffers / Kite Fortune from the Gem Store for each individual event and having a ton of different ticket types floating around taking up space, they're going to be consolidated into one currency; "Black Lion Tickets".

So, for example, instead of buying a Dragon Coffer in hopes of getting a Jade Dragon ticket, now all you'll do is buy Black Lion Keys to get a universal ticket type.

The neat thing here is that you can sit on those Black Lion Tickets until there's a skin you want; if you get a ticket, you don't have to spend it on the current event if there aren't any skins you like. It also means you can take your tickets and buy an old skin you suddenly decided you want.

It also means that even if you don't get a ticket, you still have a decent chance at getting a Ticket Scrap, which means you're at least working towards something rather than getting screwed completely by RNG.

Queen Jennah!

Ah, nice catch... that actually makes a lot of sense.

So they're basically streamlining how event-based weapon skins work. Instead of buying Dragon Coffers / Kite Fortune from the Gem Store for each individual event and having a ton of different ticket types floating around taking up space, they're going to be consolidated into one currency; "Black Lion Tickets".

So, for example, instead of buying a Dragon Coffer in hopes of getting a Jade Dragon ticket, now all you'll do is buy Black Lion Keys to get a universal ticket type.

The neat thing here is that you can sit on those Black Lion Tickets until there's a skin you want; if you get a ticket, you don't have to spend it on the current event if there aren't any skins you like. It also means you can take your tickets and buy an old skin you suddenly decided you want.

It also means that even if you don't get a ticket, you still have a decent chance at getting a Ticket Scrap, which means you're at least working towards something rather than getting screwed completely by RNG.

Ah, nice catch... that actually makes a lot of sense.

Didn't three of us collectively call this universal ticket thing? We're getting inside the minds of Anet!

Moondrop

Banned
Ranger stealth on longbow should've been on shortbow. Longbow users will still get owned. My ranger will stay retired.

At least they buffed Warrior's Healing Signet. Yay.

Retro

Didn't three of us collectively call this universal ticket thing? We're getting inside the minds of Anet!

It's been a complaint, yes. It feels like each new event has a different way of handling loot, probably because there's four teams working on each separately. The way you get skins in, say, Secret of Southsun is completely different from Dragon Bash, which was different from the Bazaar. Having a single, unified currency that all events deal with is less of a headache for everyone.

The other complaint with tickets is that the RNG always screws you. Dragon Coffers, Kite Fortunes, Southsun Supply Crates, etc. were all-or-nothing gambles. We've been saying for a while that, even if you don't get a ticket outright, getting some kind of currency that can be collected for a ticket is at least making progress towards something, and opening a chest isn't a complete crapshoot. Not to mention Black Lion Chests also drop boosters, backpacks, all sorts of consumables like revive orbs and repair canisters, Transmutation stones/crystals, dyes, minis... everything under one roof makes much more sense. Even if you don't get a scrap, you still get something, and that's better than 3 Zhaitaffy and soulbound fireworks.

Also worth noting that Black Lion Keys, while rare, can drop randomly in the world or as a reward for dailies/map completion. You can also get them for Personal Story missions at level 10, 30 and 50.

One universal ticket, one universal 'gamble box'... and I'm willing to bet people have at least a hundred chests stashed away.

Gonna make people vote like crazy for Gnashblade now though.

Retro

The ones from chests at least, yes.

In other words, you can buy weapon skin claim tickets straight up on the Trading Post from here on out. The price can go up or down based on how cool the weapon skins are, how rare they drop, etc. No more of this "Open 1000 coffers can get nothing" crap; if you want the skin bad enough, you can buy it. Nevermind, misread something somewhere. We won't know how things shake out until things go live.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You cannot buy the tickets, and there is no guarantee of any sort that future event skins will also be Soulbound on Use. But for the Aetherblade skins, yes
  • Black Lion Chests: Tickets/Scraps
  • Trading Post
  • Candidate Trials

Retro

Please be advised that a new build will be available within the next hour or two.
Get your "It'shappening.gif" ready.

You cannot buy the tickets, and there is no guarantee of any sort that future event skins will also be Soulbound on Use.

Well, if the tickets aren't soulbound, then they can be sold on the Trading Post, which means you can buy the tickets. Nevermind, probably misread something. Carry on.

Lunar15

Gonna make people vote like crazy for Gnashblade now though.

200x200px-ZC-b551abad_excellent-mr-burns.gif

Greater marks being an adept talent was everything that was wrong with Necromancer balance, honest!

OK, so they nerfed Terror too, but I didn't even have that...

The QQ in the Necro forum has already started. Hopefully the FOTM re-rerollers will flit to some other class.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Evon Gnashblade said:
Pick up one of these new Evon Gnashblade Support Bundles: they include five banners (featuring my fiercely handsome visage) and a buff that makes your Support Tokens count for double!
…My stock manager demands that I inform you that you can also buy Ellen Kiel Support Bundles, although I’m not sure why you would.
heh

Retro

What leads you to believe the tickets aren't Account Bound?

You're right, it just says the skins are 'tradable' until used. Not the tickets, but the skins. It also doesn't say whether 'tradable' means between characters on one account or completely open.

I'll edit my post, was probably reading it wrong.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm fairly certain they wouldn't use the word "tradeable" unless it applied to listing on the TP, but yeah it appears to only refer to the skins themselves. So I guess if you're looking for profit out of this, what you'd do is keep your eyes on the highest-trading skins and use any tickets you get for that skin. I.E. greatsword :p

Retro

I'm fairly certain they wouldn't use the word "tradeable" unless it applied to listing on the TP, but yeah it appears to only refer to the skins themselves. So I guess if you're looking for profit out of this...
Greatswords.
what you'd do is keep your eyes on the highest-trading skins...
Greatswords.
and use any tickets you get for ...
Greatswords.
I.E. greatsword :p
Yep. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't even remember what it looks like (the Aetherized GS). I know i want a pistol and shield for my engi.
I wonder what happens in "Audience with the Master".

Keeping my expectations in check.
Yeah expect nothing more than campaign introductions from this one. We don't really know the Master of Peace yet.

I expect story turns in a week end then on the 6th with the election results of course.

Retro

I don't even remember what it looks like (the Aetherized GS). I know i want a pistol and shield for my engi.

None of the pirates were using one during the Sky Pirates event, but they had one in the live stream yesterday;

aethergsmlrpu.jpg

The blade pieces retract inwards when sheathed, and there appears to be a turbine at the guard. Not sure if it spins, there isn't really a good chance to look at it, but I'm willing to bet it does.

I don't even see the notes

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/july-23-content-release-notes/

Doesn't it also say that the chances to get BL Keys is rare now? Does that mean it is even more rare than before or less rare, because it also says that "most key drops have been replaced by BL Ticket Scraps"?

I do not think I will be buying any of the weapons because everyone will have them and there is no way I am getting rid of my Quip for an Aetherblade pistol.

QJ = Quarterly Jostling
QJ = Quick Jabs
QJ = Quandary Justification
QJ = Queens Justice

No, we don't. Some of the guild officership are just particularly rough on her for whatever reason

Jira is just jelly because he does not get the special treatment from Anet that Dulfy does even though he did just as much work to promote GW2 as she did.

Also we kinda were soured on Dulfy guides during Guild Missions because people would use them and make all the stuff trivial especially the Guild Treks.

maaaan it was just the patch notes. And I figure if Dulfy was any kind of a real issue, they wouldn't be hooking her up with Press Previews.

But yes, for puzzle/challenge/scavenger hunt type of activities, I agree that going immediately to Dulfy should be frowned upon heavily.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also we kinda were soured on Dulfy guides during Guild Missions because people would use them and make all the stuff trivial especially the Guild Treks.
Well I certainly hated that shit too but you're just describing the culture of using step-by-step guides when experiencing something for the first time, not anything having to do with dulfy in particular

Heh. Didn't want to start a drama.

I just found her really helpful in my SWTOR days, and a nice place to look up stuff while I'm at work...

GW2-wise, mostly I find her Orr exotic armour and other karma vendor guides really useful.

Retro

No, we don't. Some of the guild officership are just particularly rough on her for whatever reason

She uses her press access, which is meant to give gaming sites something to write a preview article about, to instead systematically break down and document all of the content. Other sites are actually writing previews, while she's just regurgitating raw data and pushing it out a day before release.

Not only does it ruin the surprise, but it turns each event into a checklist of things to do before it even becomes available. ArenaNet doesn't use Public Test Realms to test their stuff because they want players to be surprised. Dulfy invalidates that, and turns GW2 into every other MMO: you know (and, more importantly, are expected to know) how to complete the content before it's released. She was even posting posting Youtube videos to show you how to do everything; that's excessive.

I wasn't that surprised to see she didn't put anything up yesterday; they probably told her to at least wait or lose her access. MMORPG, Massively and GW2hub all took the time to write nice articles though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah she's making guides. I had no idea that was such an offensive concept to you my good man.

It doesn't ruin the surprise or turn anything into a checklist unless you use them :p

Well I certainly hated that shit too but you're just describing the culture of using step-by-step guides when experiencing something for the first time, not anything having to do with dulfy in particular

I have nothing against Dulfy. I just want someone in our guild to have same access as she when it comes to previews so that I can know all the details a day earlier.

Cutthroat Politics aka boring ass update!

PS just figured out I can run Guild Wars 2 from work with the /clientport 80 command line and it will work...no longer do I have to waste my 3G data to work from work...obviously only during lunch time (shifty eyes).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
From one-on-one conversations with the devs we've gotten a lot of stuff shared with us weeks and even months in advance. We knew that May would be about Southsun in February for example, and we've at least had patch notes read to us over 24 hours prior to going live. That's more access than I've ever had as a fan for any game I've been involved in, personally.

If we want the legitimate early-release content afforded by press access, we need to have a website or at least a blog, and that's really all there is to it.

Lunar15

From one-on-one conversations with the devs we've gotten a lot of stuff shared with us weeks and even months in advance. We knew that May would be about Southsun in February for example, and we've at least had patch notes read to us over 24 hours prior to going live. That's more access than I've ever had as a fan for any game I've been involved in, personally.

If we want the legitimate early-release content afforded by press access, we need to have a website or at least a blog, and that's really all there is to it.

I'm pretty sure he was just kidding.

Also, Kos, you don't love miiiiinniiiigaaaammeeesss?? One day they'll make a beard themed mini game and you'll be entirely conflicted.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm pretty sure he was just kidding.

Also, Kos, you don't love miiiiinniiiigaaaammeeesss?? One day they'll make a beard themed mini game and you'll be entirely conflicted.
I forget, is he down on Candidate Trials too? It's not exactly a minigame :p

I kinda loved these two lines:
This event can be challenging, particularly at higher tiers. If you begin to struggle, consider tweaking your play style and gear to adjust to the situation.
When attempting Tier IV, consider bringing a highly skilled, coordinated party that works well together in order to deal with all the pirates throw at you!
Bring it the fuck on!

Retro

Rampage Changes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1zwLL25i-4 (NSFW language)

Yeah she's making guides. I had no idea that was such an offensive concept to you my good man.

It doesn't ruin the surprise or turn anything into a checklist unless you use them :p

It's the whole "If you're going to play with the strategy guide in your lap, telling you exactly what to do, then why are you bothering to play?" thing. I don't look at her stuff because I have more fun figuring it out.

I don't have to use it, but it's an MMO and other people do. It sets the expectation that everyone should know what to do, and in a group environment that can cause unnecessary friction and drama. That will only get worse if the LFG Tool isn't implemented just right; people will likely kick you from a group immediately if you don't know what to do.

It makes the game more closed off to new players, players who haven't played in a while, and just generally isn't in the spirit of the game.

Retro

So a current theory going around on Reddit is that the character in the next update's preview art is a Centaur;
cc8218-6_qj_nexthero_bjaoz.jpg

Some Concept Art: Centaur on the left is clearly rocking a pair of forward-swept horns.
gw2-centaur-raidersk8xkg.jpg

That face definitely doesn't look like a Charr's muzzle.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Why are you guys doing it solo? This is an MMO ffs

Also are we going to make a peace treaty for the Centaur!?!??!

I'm still on my lonely Euro server, going through the story as a means to level up. Lv60 now, so I'm getting there.

I've none zero group content besides the AC story run, so I'm really hoping in future to go through all the group stuff.

Also, I have an item that grants Guild influence - I was wondering when would be best to use it for GAFGuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom