• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
"Factura Rota"

omg... haahhaa
cimg1589wa4.jpg

Some interesting info: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...d-these-new-events-at-first/first#post3545393

As far as I can tell there are a couple challenges we are trying to overcome. First, we are trying to teach the community a new skill: self organization. And I’m happy to see that in the aggregate, they ARE learning. I’m sure as this process continues we will find better ways to accommodate the communication structures that will emerge.

It scales quite a bit. The more people there are in a lane will change the number of vets and champs that spawn, and the platform boss’s HP scales based on how many end up on the platform.

Proven

So there is scaling, meaning there is no excuse unless they got the scaling off, which people will now move their complaints to.

Also, while this kind of coordination is great in the form of TTS, it would be better if more guilds like them formed. If we had more server specific boss kill guilds, I'd even consider joining one. But I'd also need to be able to join more guilds at a time.

So there is scaling, meaning there is no excuse unless they got the scaling off, which people will now move their complaints to.

Also, while this kind of coordination is great in the form of TTS, it would be better if more guilds like them formed. If we had more server specific boss kill guilds, I'd even consider joining one. But I'd also need to be able to join more guilds at a time.
While I enjoy the coordination necessary for this, I still think it's a bit too much: it's pretty much impossible to get that much coordination with random people.

Shiokazu

look, i know i may sound stupid but, what makes me feel special in guild wars is what i do while i am playing. not some achievement or something like that.

i go out, trying to face challenges that i know i am going to fail, just for the epicness of trying and, if i suceed, i feel special. i feel awesome. well, to hell if i get an achievement for that or not. if i am to be special, i donts need a tittle or a story ior some piece of some stuff.

if you breakdown destiny's edge, they're awesome because they got the skills, why did they suported figthing the elder dragon? THEY DID HAD HELP (Glint. dont forget her people, please. )

i guess im just too much into my main race ( Norn )

and i see all the events that were going on around in orr as part of my efforts, and as part of all the other player's too. a war is not made out of a single commander.

the only thing i wanted to was my character to be more responsible to the way they are presented in the sheet, like more brutal, more charming, more dignified.

and i wanted npcs to remember us in a more meaningful way...

Ashodin

Last night at the Marionette it clicked for me. It's up to ArenaNet to make the challenges feel more like a struggle and facing down the odds with your friends. It's not about you individually, but rather, can you take on this challenge with other people having your back? And playing that challenge and the music and the realization that any one of the five podiums could fuck up at ANY time!

It was an epic feeling to be sure.

Retro

New Build just went up, no update notes yet.
Edit: There they are;
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed a bug in which enemies continued to spawn after the event “Take Severed Breach back from the Flame Legion” had completed. The time before this event restarts has been increased.
  • Wintersday Gifts will no longer drop in World vs. World.
  • Fixed a bug in the story step “A Grisly Shipment” that prevented it from advancing.
  • Fixed an issue in which the Cobalt Wurm would sometimes begin the encounter in its vulnerable state.
  • Fixed an issue in which the Triple Trouble timer would sometimes not start correctly.

In MMO news, there are massive layoffs at Blizzard's San Francisco offices and SOE has decided to shut down Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Free Realms, Vanguard and Wizardry Online.

Pour one out for Vanguard.

Guys, are you less, about the same or more excited about the next living story update after doing this one.

I cannot wait for next one.

I'm away at the cottage this weekend so I won't be able to participate in Wurm and Marionette fights, so I hope no one beats the Wurms till I get back on Sunday.

hythloday

Guys, are you less, about the same or more excited about the next living story update after doing this one.

I'm more excited.

The fact that we're approaching the end of the story makes me want to see it through to the end, but it's a big plus that the content's also fun. My interest in the LS peaked with the Bazaar of the Four Winds but tanked immediately after (once all the allusions to the Zephyrites having some connection to Glint seemingly didn't pan out to anything).

But now I think we're at the point where all the promised improvements in the Living Story updates are starting to appear. The new story instance in LA was great this time. I haven't done the Wurm at all yet but I liked what I saw with the Marionette.

Like Miktar said many posts back, I actually care about the LS characters. The characters in Destiny's Edge are decent enough, but they are all so distant even though they're a part of the Personal Story. I actually care about what happens to Rox, Braham, Marjory and Kasmeer. And I just want to hug Taimi until the end of time (even though she'd probably have her golem murder me for it).

I haven't played in awhile but I'm kind of tempted to jump back in just to see this conclusion. But I missed most of the plant/tower event and I hate missing chunks of story stuff. Pretty torn.

I haven't played in awhile but I'm kind of tempted to jump back in just to see this conclusion. But I missed most of the plant/tower event and I hate missing chunks of story stuff. Pretty torn.

You didn't miss much. She just got some toxin from the plant but we don't know why she needs it. We just destroyed the tower and the result can be see in kessex.

If you want to get most out of LIving Story or just know about the conclusion, this is the best time for anyone to get back into the game.

Ashodin

You didn't miss much. She just got some toxin from the plant but we don't know why she needs it. We just destroyed the tower and the result can be see in kessex.

If you want to get most out of LIving Story or just know about the conclusion, this is the best time for anyone to get back into the game.

Toxin is for poisoning the Elder Dragons. Just you watch!

This is good to know but I'm kind of a stickler for knowing the specifics of things. Maybe I can find some play-throughs or something though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I cannot wait for next one.

I'm away at the cottage this weekend so I won't be able to participate in Wurm and Marionette fights, so I hope no one beats the Wurms till I get back on Sunday.
More. The February updates were internally described as "bonkers"

That said,

1. The story instance in Lion's Arch is basically phenomenal. It hadn't occurred to me how difficult it must have been to slowly piece together characters that people might even possibly care about in a genre that as a rule stays far away from characterization. If you've been following the season, you KNOW the characters in that instance (except for Taimi, whom I have immediately decided to ferociously guard with my life). I found myself legitimately interested in their intersecting lives. It's also a wonderful sign of things to come- I am no fan of Scarlet by any stretch, but there's actual talent on staff and when we hit some narrative arc I'm more interested in I can see myself actually becoming invested in the story. In an MMO. After the voiced interactions, I read every line of written dialogue in there without hesitating.
  2. I love the Marionette fight; in fact, I consider it very close to flawless for a scaling, open-world encounter. It's a wonderful example of how these can be constructed that are more COMPLEX, but less DIFFICULT than Tequatl. I absolutely reject the notion that "randoms" cannot learn and adapt to be successful under these conditions. I have participatied in 4 attempts with SBI, 1 horrible failure, 1 comfortable success, 1 razor-thin success, and 1 razor-thin failure. Pretty much enjoyed myself equally each time. In fact, the most enjoyable was last night's close failure, because- lo and behold- map chat was not filled with scathing insults and whines, but reassurances, practical advice, congratulations on a good attempt. I was smiling uncontrollably, because this kind of emergent cooperation between strangers is ArenaNet at its best.
  3. I'm equally excited for the Wurm as example of an open world boss both more difficult and more complex than Tequatl. I've only tried it once so far, but I can't wait for my first kill, whenever it comes.
  4. The new heart indicators, notification UI, non-depositing minipets and even the new home instance metal nodes have made this update feel like a very refined continuation of a game that already does so many things to make the traditional MMO experience more enjoyable.

Sadly, I'm babysitting tonight and won't be able to make Fever, which also means tonight's lottery will be pushed to next time. Sorry! I trust you all to kick ass in my stead.

edit: Desolation just got the world first Triple Threat Wurm kill. That makes it right around 72 hours after release; Colin wins his bet with himself.

On the one hand I'm surprised that TTS didn't beat a native server to the punch- on the other, Deso has been working at this around the clock from the sound of things. Time to get our butts in gear, SBI.

damn I love this shit

Lunar15

I really think that their big update in the summer is going to bring a lot of people back into the fold. From their description, it doesn't sound like it will be a traditional expansion or anything sensationalist like that, but it will be refreshing for them to hit the reset button a little bit. All of their little steps have been good but they've had to fit it into a wonky system one step at a time.

Once they can sit back and look at what they've built, then roll out a new arc with a lot of that iteration behind them, I think they'll start really knocking it out of the park.

I blame the community at large for pushing Berserker gear as the best stat distribution than I do randoms not knowing the fight.

I think the game is a little more to blame for that than the community. But I understand what you're saying here.

Jira

Agreed on all counts Hawk. It really blows me away that people are asking for ANet to just instance any challenging content because that will somehow make it so they can do it faster than the current setup. If you are going from Marionette to Wurm every hour then you have ~30 minutes of downtime between encounters. Not only this, you just merely show up and either are in the main flow ready to go or are in a packed overflow ready to go. If they instance it, you would then have to find X(100+?) people, no one would use the open world LFG section and so you'd be stuck using chat to find those 100+ people. Let me tell you, finding 40 people to do a raid in WoW back in 2005 was hard enough, 100+ people would be a damn nightmare without some form of automation.

Every MMO these days shoves their players into instances and just kills any sense of Massively Multiplayer. Even worse, people just sit around in cities waiting for their UI to come up so they can go do X piece of content. THANKFULLY, when I asked Colin about the idea of instancing world bosses, he said nope absolutely not going to happen. He said "I would cry if we ever did that." Open world content is something the genre has lacked for a VERY long time and it really helps that GW2 is the very first MMO to have a completely co-operative PvE experience. That's what happens when you don't design your game around a P2P business model for the sake of more monthly subs but instead wanting people to have fun when they login.

Ashodin

Agreed on all counts Hawk. It really blows me away that people are asking for ANet to just instance any challenging content because that will somehow make it so they can do it faster than the current setup. If you are going from Marionette to Wurm every hour then you have ~30 minutes of downtime between encounters. Not only this, you just merely show up and either are in the main flow ready to go or are in a packed overflow ready to go. If they instance it, you would then have to find X(100+?) people, no one would use the open world LFG section and so you'd be stuck using chat to find those 100+ people. Let me tell you, finding 40 people to do a raid in WoW back in 2005 was hard enough, 100+ people would be a damn nightmare without some form of automation.

Every MMO these days shoves their players into instances and just kills any sense of Massively Multiplayer. Even worse, people just sit around in cities waiting for their UI to come up so they can go do X piece of content. THANKFULLY, when I asked Colin about the idea of instancing world bosses, he said nope absolutely not going to happen. He said "I would cry if we ever did that." Open world content is something the genre has lacked for a VERY long time and it really helps that GW2 is the very first MMO to have a completely co-operative PvE experience. That's what happens when you don't design your game around a P2P business model for the sake of more monthly subs but instead wanting people to have fun when they login.

GW2 "Raiders"

begging-cat-o.gif

PLZZ GIEF US INSTANCED SO WE KAN ELIMINATE WHO WE THINK R NUBS

ArenaNet

slap-o.gif

"What did the five fingers say to the face?" "SLAP!"

I do not know how easy it is to do this on ANETs part but I wonder how easy it is to give overflows a #, so that you could use the LFG to ask for people in the specific overflow. I think if overflows had numbers people would be less likely to try and leave.

Jira

I do not know how easy it is to do this on ANETs part but I wonder how easy it is to give overflows a #, so that you could use the LFG to ask for people in the specific overflow. I think if overflows had numbers people would be less likely to try and leave.

They could re-implement the district system from GW1 while in overflows so people know which instance they were in which would help with organization. So there would be Overflow 1-15 or whatever.

I'm starting to suspect there may be some fundamental nature to the structure of their virtual servers and how the overflows are allocated/deallocated, that may prohibit and easy District number system like GW1 had. But that's just conjecture.

Ashodin

They could re-implement the district system from GW1 while in overflows so people know which instance they were in which would help with organization. So there would be Overflow 1-15 or whatever.

Jirraaa are you coming to SATURDAY NIGHT FEVA

Jira

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1w56r0/desolations_tactics_at_the_great_jungle_wurm/

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4KNWDqb8Tk&feature=youtu.be

Hellooo,

Particlar here, one of the commanders from Desolation who have been doing attempts on the Great Jungle Wurm since patch day.

Commanders to note are:

Particlar
Arathorian
Mouse
Mkkoll
Herm Wotts
Luquatic
Shuyin Sourunji
Light Binding
Stally
LOTS more together with all amazing players on the teams

We finally managed to kill all the wurms today at the 20:00 attempt.

Since we got A LOT of question on what tactics we use, I'm doing a short writeup here. I'd love it if the other commanders can add what I miss over here (I'm mainly focused on Amber).

The tactic we've used from the start have been three evenly splitted groups to focus on one wurm each.

Every person in the server get into a teamspeak server where we split up in three different channels for the different wurms. This is so we can keep narrating the zerg during the fight loudly without disturbing the other commanders.

We have set up whisper lists between the commanders so we can easily make split desicions over the complete map. This is vital for the timing of the wurm killing since every wurm have a long setup time before the dps-phase.

Amber Wurm:

Total group size: 50

Here is our most unique tactic. We face this wurm pretty much like a guild would run in WvW.

We have around 50 offensive specced players running as a group the entire time. We are very organised with timed water fields, chill's and cripple on the Husk's etc.

We have a simple rotation.

1, Kill Abonomation get eaten etc. 2, Kill phase 3, Kill ads all over the area for 30 seconds.

If not enough people got eaten so not enough of harpoons could be collected, we chose to take it slow and clear the ads. Even though we have half of the zerg without the "Upset Stomach"-debuff we run around the area and clear the ads waiting for everyone to lose that debuff

It is veeerry hard to explain it since it's the most hectic and fast phased battle. The video linked below should give you the general idea of it.

Video of the kill on this perspective soon.. ... it's very slow[1]

Crimson Wurm:

This is the most passive fight.

We have 4 good condition geared players to team up with the sole purpose to focus the Husk's that spawn around the area. Every other person in the group have berserker gear to put as much offense as possible during floppy head phase

Once every color is filled, everyone stack melee'd to the wurm on the double damage spot. Wiggle your character around until you find it.

Picture soon..

Cobalt Wurm:

About 5 parties are formed up, mainly of guardians and thiefs to run the kegs. This is to keep the stability and swiftness up on the running group.

As in Crimson we have 4 good, fully specced, conditionmancers. These sole job are to focus on the Husks since conditions are vastly more effective against them compared to physical damage. All other players are speced as offensively they can, full berserker geared.

The rest of the team are focusing on killing the ads around the area.

Once keg runners get their work down everbody stack on the same double damage spot. Wiggle your character around until you find it.

Picture soon..

Wonder if SBI is going to try use the one wurm at a time tactic with massive zerg or try and follow Desolation's tactics. I wont be able to try out any wurm runs till tomorrow because of crappy internet.

Jira

Wonder if SBI is going to try use the one wurm at a time tactic with massive zerg or try and follow Desolation's tactics. I wont be able to try out any wurm runs till tomorrow because of crappy internet.

I really don't think a single zerg will work as it was designed specifically to split people up. The first successful kill was with 3 groups so it's very likely that's how people will go about it from now on.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
Josh Foreman posted this on the forums

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...d-these-new-events-at-first/first#post3545393

In the never ending quest to improve our design and find ways to please as many people as possible we’re always digging into constructive criticism. We have not perfected the recipe for an open world boss event, probably because we’re pioneering new territory here.

As far as I can tell there are a couple challenges we are trying to overcome. First, we are trying to teach the community a new skill: self organization. And I’m happy to see that in the aggregate, they ARE learning. I’m sure as this process continues we will find better ways to accommodate the communication structures that will emerge.

Secondly, from both a technical and player-experience perspective, it’s best to break up zergs as much as possible. Thematically keeping everyone feeling like they are contributing to a common cause from multiple locations, and still feel heroic is an interesting challenge to balance. Always looking for new ideas on this issue!

Poster:distribute players by parceling them out one platform at a time like a poker dealer rather than selecting platforms for them randomly? Really? As a programmer myself I was astonished when I found out that it was possible to have 5 on one platform and 1 on another. I mean, this is really basic stuff!

Josh:Having 5 on one platform and 1 on another could only be a very edge case requiring several people to drop out at the right moment. Our script does exactly what you said, poker dealer style.

Poster:let people on platforms who have already completed help out with other platforms

Josh:We tried really hard to get this in. Every solution we came up with had technical constraints.

Poster:lengthen the timers a bit

Josh:The timers and mob HP were balanced and rebalanced several times in an attempt to find a sweet spot that would ensure people couldn’t faceroll the event, but wasn’t so difficult that no one could do it. Everyone’s mileage will vary. And as with any group activity, virtual or real life, there is luck inherent in that. Some people hate that dynamic and some love it. If someone has an idea about how to ameliorate the inherent luck factor in group events, please speak up!

Poster:make it easier for parties to be in the same overflow where there’s actually enough people to win

Josh:I know there are people working on various solutions to this problem.

Poster:have the event scale in difficulty based on the number of players

Josh: It scales quite a bit. The more people there are in a lane will change the number of vets and champs that spawn, and the platform boss’s HP scales based on how many end up on the platform.

Retro

Having some issues with Mumble just now. It seems to be stable now.

I also won't be at the fever tonight guys. I'm tightening up the Alpha for Apexicon's next kickstarter starting in February.

Make sure that sound effect you used in the last level fits in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom