• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I KITED AN ARMY, DIED TWICE BUT I KITED A LOT KARKENS

I KNOW DUDE, IT WAS AWESOME. Every time I spotted karka, I just turned on a dime and made a beeline for anywhere that was notkarka. It might have been frustrating to have me suddenly change direction, but everyone trailing behind me seemed to pause just long enough to get all the karka to collapse, giving me a ton of breathing room.

You guys did a great job. I thought for sure we'd have it scaled down or something, but I saw the same number as when it's a full effort. Sorry you died, but that saved the day. This was one of those absurdly cool 'MMO Moments" for me.

Shiokazu

I KNOW DUDE, IT WAS AWESOME. Every time I spotted karka, I just turned on a dime and made a beeline for anywhere that was notkarka. It might have been frustrating to have me suddenly change direction, but everyone trailing behind me seemed to pause just long enough to get all the karka to collapse, giving me a ton of breathing room.

You guys did a great job. I thought for sure we'd have it scaled down or something, but I saw the same number as when it's a full effort. Sorry you died, but that saved the day. This was one of those absurdly cool 'MMO Moments" for me.

you know the 300 of sparta? well i know some dudes who are way better than them.

4QOrTcL.jpg

giphy.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hope you feel better soon!!

get better hawk]
Thanks for the well wishes you two
So, 3 hours later, Guild Missions finally wrapped up. We started a bounty at 3:45 Eastern before wurm popped, and ended up killing Brekkabek. Unusually challenging with only 10 people, but not impossible. We then started a challenge and ended up with Crab Toss. Only 8 people showed.

But guess what? We fuckin' beat it.

Obligatory victory shot.

After failing on Marionette at the top of the hour, we then started a rush. Ghost Wolves, nothing too bad. Only a couple people didn't finish (one being Arken because he's a quitter
JUWnj.gif
). All was said and done around 6pm. Another successful Makeup, and the first time for a few people. Regular missions are on Saturdays at 9pm Eastern, and if Hawkian is up to it the lottery will be taking place then as well.

Nice work, everyone.
Awesome, congratulations you guys

Proven

So... this exists: https://soundcloud.com/arenanet

A 4/5 chains, 4/5 regulators, 99% full power bar, final regulator destroyed at 1 second left on the clock Marionette kill. In overflow. Week. Made.
This is what makes me sad for the first time that something is leaving. But it's more of a preference for what you have than what you may not have.

Edit: Like the reddit post about the new player coming out of Queensdale, this made me sad: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1w8780/scarlet_invading_mount_maelstrom_and_how_i/

Jira

So... this exists: https://soundcloud.com/arenanet

This is what makes me sad for the first time that something is leaving. But it's more of a preference for what you have than what you may not have.

Edit: Like the reddit post about the new player coming out of Queensdale, this made me sad: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1w8780/scarlet_invading_mount_maelstrom_and_how_i/

Well it may be going away in 3 weeks, but Colin said it should return in some fashion at a later point (likely Fractal related). I'd say they could tone everything down and have 1 player per lane then put a single vet spawn mixed with normals. Then maybe have the platforms be 1 silver with the same mechanics instead of champ?

Hahah.

Yesterday I had the stark reminder, that it might be the first time you've run a particular path, but thanks to PUGs, you won't be the most useless member of the group.

So is it a thing to ignore the request for 80s only in the LFG tool? Because we had a whole string of people doing so for the extra slot our guild had...

Proven

Okay, I no longer think this is all just about dragons: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1w6rdi/quick_attempt_at_connecting_a_couple_dots/

I don't believe that the above link is all that correct. What sounds closer to the truth is this one: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1w6rdi/quick_attempt_at_connecting_a_couple_dots/ceze9zy

No matter what the final case is, I'm smacking my head right now for not noticing a very simple storytelling technique from the Captain's Council election. At the time we did the vote I was only thinking about lore, but if the whole purpose of adding any fractal at all was just to give a flash back that ties back into the living story then no matter what we chose it had to be related to the end of this season.

I don't like those theories at all because Gods were such a big role in GW1 that I'm kinda tiered of them. I would love if we get access to Fissure of Woe or Underworld but I don't like the fact that what is being suggested in those threads is that they just recycled the GW1 story line, where Scarlet is the Vizir but smarter.

One read scrolls that had ancient secrets, the other saw eternal alchemy and so forth. Also she has been saying sheis trying to make sure she survives what is about to happen while the rest of us will die, but why would Abbadon hate all the other races, he only had problems with humans.

I just don't think they would make a story that is rooted in so much in human deities when now we have 5 races that are playable.

Proven

Honestly, that's the same exact reason why I doubt these theories. They're extremely human-centric. But I can't help but come to the conclusion that what would have been seen in the Abaddon fractal would be related to the current Living Story.

Okay, I no longer think this is all just about dragons: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1w6rdi/quick_attempt_at_connecting_a_couple_dots/

I don't believe that the above link is all that correct. What sounds closer to the truth is this one: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1w6rdi/quick_attempt_at_connecting_a_couple_dots/ceze9zy

No matter what the final case is, I'm smacking my head right now for not noticing a very simple storytelling technique from the Captain's Council election. At the time we did the vote I was only thinking about lore, but if the whole purpose of adding any fractal at all was just to give a flash back that ties back into the living story then no matter what we chose it had to be related to the end of this season.

Nice theory but I don't believe it'll work, due to the fact its heavily focused on gods, specifically human gods. When they introduced the 4 new races in the game aside from humans I had this notion pre-release GW2 that ANet were going to move away from the god-centric plot of the original GW. Hence why the elder dragons were introduced because they affect all races.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiMFEqz3GQ4

The video above is a theory video, but I believe its close to the truth revolving around Scarlet. To sum it up Scarlet (already on the path to madness given her story posted by ANet) fulfilled total insanity/madness when she went dimension-hopping all over the place. Perhaps what she saw in a different dimension(s) is what drives her to commit crimes on playable Tyria. There's also the Thaumanova Fractal to which Scarlet comments on the Infinity Ball-story of a playable asura character, to which was revealed as a dimension-hopping device.

Don't know if it has been discussed earlier in this thread but it sounds like an enjoyable plot and not so human god-centric.

Marionette: No, it will only be around for another 3 weeks or so. When we asked about it returning as a Fractal, however, Colin mentioned that's one possibility but it will definitely be something they try to bring back.

Ugh. A power core farming I go... :-/

Marionette fight in a fractal? I guess it could work as a boss fractal where you do 1 minute of the wave on 1-2 lane your team of 5 takes on every warden once and that kills her, coming back to lane for 1-2 minute of waves before doing the next warden. I just don't think it would capture the essence of the Marionette fight if it is just a team of 5 doing the fight.

Luigi87

Hmm, tomorrow marks the one year anniversary since the start of the Scarlet arc. The Jan 28th, 2013 patch that started the "Living Story", and also added things like Laurels.

Jira

Hmm, tomorrow marks the one year anniversary since the start of the Scarlet arc. The Jan 28th, 2013 patch that started the "Living Story", and also added things like Laurels.

I hadn't thought of that. Very excited for the page tomorrow, hoping for another video.

I hadn't thought of that. Very excited for the page tomorrow, hoping for another video.

Have they said the pages will keep updating a week before the update comes out, because last update page didn't show up till the actual update release day. New release page doesn't even have an upcoming section.

Really like the TM fight, but wow, it sucks when you get into a lane with a bunch of folks just hoping for a carry, who are AFK, or just have no concept of 'listen to directions'.

I'm also not liking the hatred i'm seeing when a failure happens, with people rushing to blame gear, such as not having the right stats, or not having all exotics, etc. Judging from the fights, and the lv of the zone, I can' help but think it's actually aimed at only midrange gear players, it's just the devs expect you to follow the strategies, not just zerg the damn things. When I get a good group, we knock out the wardens in no time.

At 2:2 for WL thus far, walking away with two exotic drops. Not bad so far. Hope to get in a few more fights this week, work permitting.

Jira

Have they said the pages will keep updating a week before the update comes out, because last update page didn't show up till the actual update release day. New release page doesn't even have an upcoming section.

Good point, though I think we'll get some kind of video teaser tomorrow at the very least.

Really like the TM fight, but wow, it sucks when you get into a lane with a bunch of folks just hoping for a carry, who are AFK, or just have no concept of 'listen to directions'.

I'm also not liking the hatred i'm seeing when a failure happens, with people rushing to blame gear, such as not having the right stats, or not having all exotics, etc. Judging from the fights, and the lv of the zone, I can' help but think it's actually aimed at only midrange gear players, it's just the devs expect you to follow the strategies, not just zerg the damn things. When I get a good group, we knock out the wardens in no time.

At 2:2 for WL thus far, walking away with two exotic drops. Not bad so far. Hope to get in a few more fights this week, work permitting.

I did an attempt yesterday on my 60 Warrior who's wearing level 50ish rares and my platform was the first to kill the bomb boss while the others filled with 80s all failed. I really don't think it's gear that's the problem, but the players not understanding the mechanics. Thankfully the toxic assholes are few and far between. I just report them and block them. For every 10 nice people you get that one asshole who thinks he's a god and everyone else is beneath him.

Retro

If you can solo them, then yeah, it's not an issue.

The only ones that really gave me a lot of trouble were the Watchwork ones, just because they have so many nasty abilities that it's hard to take them all out at once (not to mention they respawn each other).

Had my first Marionette attempt earlier today. It was... interesting. We didn't have anywhere near the appropriate numbers to get it done though.

A bit lost on how to get to the Scarlet instance but from my understanding I have to go around looking for the pillars in various zones or something? Then when I find them, activate them, kill the mobs and collect cores. 50 cores gains my entrance and cyphers from Marrionette open boxes? Not sure what the spare keys do yet...

Jira

Had my first Marionette attempt earlier today. It was... interesting. We didn't have anywhere near the appropriate numbers to get it done though.

A bit lost on how to get to the Scarlet instance but from my understanding I have to go around looking for the pillars in various zones or something? Then when I find them, activate them, kill the mobs and collect cores. 50 cores gains my entrance and cyphers from Marrionette open boxes? Not sure what the spare keys do yet...

Spare keys give you choices of other code fragments so look at how many fragments you have and open the ones that give you what you need to make up a new cypher.

Good point, though I think we'll get some kind of video teaser tomorrow at the very least.

I did an attempt yesterday on my 60 Warrior who's wearing level 50ish rares and my platform was the first to kill the bomb boss while the others filled with 80s all failed. I really don't think it's gear that's the problem, but the players not understanding the mechanics. Thankfully the toxic assholes are few and far between. I just report them and block them. For every 10 nice people you get that one asshole who thinks he's a god and everyone else is beneath him.

Only time i've had issues was on my Engineer, and that was due to not yet having the fight mechanics down, and not having a real high burst damage build. Had no issues on my guardian nor my warrior, though the warrior is looking to be my preferred characters to fight it on. Battle Standard is just too much a lifesaver on these fights. I have not attempted it on my thief nor elementalist yet, probably won't.

Luigi87

When I think potential Marionette fractal, I just imagine everyone being separated to fight mini-Wardens, Queen's Gauntlet style.

Retro

Truthfact: I was the one who asked Colin last night if the Marionette would return as a fractal, with 1 player per lane and one platform per phase. He only said (and I'm paraphrasing here, so it's not exact) "That's one way to do it, but we'll definitely find a way to bring her back." We then talked about how it wouldn't quite be the same without a large number of people, and he agreed.

The implication that it will be a fractal is just the way I phrased it. I was thinking this morning that it would actually be cooler if they lowered her down into the gauntlet for this year's jubilee.

Truthfact: I was the one who asked Colin last night if the Marionette would return as a fractal, with 1 player per lane and one platform per phase. He only said (and I'm paraphrasing here, so it's not exact) "That's one way to do it, but we'll definitely find a way to bring her back." We then talked about how it wouldn't quite be the same without a large number of people, and he agreed.

The implication that it will be a fractal is just the way I phrased it. I was thinking this morning that it would actually be cooler if they lowered her down into the gauntlet for this year's jubilee.

That or some version of it would be cool. Like maybe after X amount of successful boss kills in the gallery, Marionette pops in the center? But yeah, having it be a part of the Jubilee would be great.

Retro

That or some version of it would be cool. Like maybe after X amount of successful boss kills in the gallery, Marionette pops in the center? But yeah, having it be a part of the Jubilee would be great.

It's a nice, big round vertical space to lower her down into, and I think after last year's farming they might be looking to change up how that area works. Plus, it has a little bit of poetic justice to it; the watchwork knights Scarlet stole and modeled her marionette on would return to the jubilee.

It's also an area isolated from the rest of the world so it doesn't impact regular play, easily accessible and already has a reputation for being a gathering place for large crowds.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Does this have something to do with the convo about that field trip the other night?

:) Thursday. I'll be sure to post about it.

Play with us a little more often. Way back when, you were even an officer.

Don't be a stranger =p

You guys are so damn nice. If I wasn't constantly drowning in work and projects I'd play so much more. Especially after the death of Halo.

I didn't want it to happen this way, but I became a student of a very rigorous program exactly 1 week after GW2 launched. I'd play during the summers I have off, except I usually travel across the country to stay with my family during that time, and I don't have any sort of capable computer in that setting. I'm really happy that my school is giving me this awesome opportunity, even if it means I don't have time to be committed to a big game like this one. Thankfully there's no sub fee so I can just come back whenever.

It's a nice, big round vertical space to lower her down into, and I think after last year's farming they might be looking to change up how that area works. Plus, it has a little bit of poetic justice to it; the watchwork knights Scarlet stole and modeled her marionette on would return to the jubilee.

It's also an area isolated from the rest of the world so it doesn't impact regular play, easily accessible and already has a reputation for being a gathering place for large crowds.

Putting it in a jubilee style setting would be awesome. Eliminates the issue of random players taking up zone cap doing hearts while the rest are trying to get to the boss fight.

Retro

Regarding recent Mumble disconnect issues:
"We are currently being hit with a 40gbps DDoS to our Dallas Voice IP. At this point, all traffic has been blocked at the edge of our network as we work to filter the attack."

Jira

Regarding recent Mumble disconnect issues:
"We are currently being hit with a 40gbps DDoS to our Dallas Voice IP. At this point, all traffic has been blocked at the edge of our network as we work to filter the attack."

Amazing that people put so much effort into DDoSing something like a VOIP provider.

This game is awesome!!!

Raiding in WoW felt good when you beat a 40 man dungeon, but the Marionette defeat we had today... so much drama. 50 power full after 4 minutes. The usual bullshit. People type failed in chat.
Then Lane 3 fails and the cannon is over 50% then it's our turn and we kick ass. then the other lanes kick ass as well. suddenly we beat it. 150 players cheering in a cooperative effort!

I didn't know a MMORPG could feel like this. I have so many feels.

Retro

Raiding in WoW felt good when you beat a 40 man dungeon, but the Marionette defeat we had today... so much drama. 50 power full after 4 minutes. The usual bullshit. People type failed in chat.
Then Lane 3 fails and the cannon is over 50% then it's our turn and we kick ass. then the other lanes kick ass as well. suddenly we beat it. 150 players cheering in a cooperative effort!

I didn't know a MMORPG could feel like this. I have so many feels.

If they put it into an instance like people keep whining for, all of that goes away. Instead, you have people spam-recruiting members in LA so they can fill a raid, then getting shitty when they fail. I've never understood the demand for more instancing in MMOs. It's like people forget the Multiplayer part. Just go play Skyrim or whatever.

In some ways, it's better that failures happen in the open; a few bad apples inevitably try to single out someone or something (other than themselves, of course), but they're almost immediately drowned out by people being more supportive or offering advice. Where this happening in an instance, it would be nothing but guild drama; fighting over slots, blaming others for failures, people leaving and taking skilled players with them, etc.

Remfin

If they put it into an instance like people keep whining for, all of that goes away. Instead, you have people spam-recruiting members in LA so they can fill a raid, then getting shitty when they fail. I've never understood the demand for more instancing in MMOs. It's like people forget the Multiplayer part. Just go play Skyrim or whatever.
You do realize you're in an MMO with instancing right? What exactly would be different with 150 people in an instance vs...150 people in an instance?

There's no holy trinity here...a ton of that crap goes away. If they made the instancing cross-server I don't really see that situation developing; there's such a huge playerbase that there will always be a group that won't be practicing elitism available.

Saw a writer for a reasonably big GW2 site - said writer currently is all gaga for ESO and WildStar mind you - saying that the biggest problem with GW2 is Living Story and that Anet is wasting 100% of its resources that could be going to putting in Guild vs Guild on crap "nobody asked for, nobody wants, nobody plays, nobody cares about".

It's like, geeze fella. Just go play something else then.

You do realize you're in an MMO with instancing right? What exactly would be different with 150 people in an instance vs...150 people in an instance?

There's no holy trinity here...a ton of that crap goes away. If they made the instancing cross-server I don't really see that situation developing; there's such a huge playerbase that there will always be a group that won't be practicing elitism available.

The current system auto-fills and the requested system would require a Raid party. Which would inevitably leave people out/have people excluded. The Trinity isn't the sole cause of exclusion. It's already happened in GW2 with the speed run/bezerker only exclusion-ists.

Retro

I was referring to people who want it to be a raid that they open whenever they want and do with only the people they invite in. Overflows are indiscriminate; they don't block access to anyone based on class, gear, or even level. It's all first-come, first-serve and everything else is irrelevant, so you have lots of people coming together from different guilds and perspectives.

People would be less likely to speak up against the blame and rage that happens in if the person doing all the shit-talking was their guild leader who can kick them out. Having all of these people lumped in together without any affiliation beyond server means the shit-talkers get a bad reputation in the community and get shut down by people trying to actually help and teach the encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom