• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
More Josh Foreman
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...-these-new-events-at-first/page/5#post3559127

Not at all. The Marionette was not designed to be beaten only by “elite” players. We have an idea of where the average player is skill-wise, and placed the bar where we hoped would just a tad above that, in the hopes that they would have to stretch a bit. That stretching creates tension, which is the sweet spot in event-type content as far as I’m concerned. (as opposed to the abnegation style smooth sailing content that most of an MMO needs to be.) Without the tension new things get boring faster. Too much tension, (as seems to be your case) and people give up and the content is wasted on them. That seems to be your argument about this event.

Because the player base is a diverse lot, ANY amount of tension will frustrate SOME amount, causing them to be turned off. So fundamentally we have to ask ourselves if we want to ever ask the player to stretch, or keep them all in a happy abnegated state of chillaxing. Does the benefit to those who want some tension from time to time outweigh the frustration of those who don’t?

The other question that I hope is answered in the positive is this: Can the average player skill be raised by challenging content like this? We know that X% of players don’t know about traits. We know Y% never swap out their 7-0 skills to accommodate specific challenges. And there are probably dozens of other systems that go unused by some portion of the player-base. If even 10% of that group hits a challenge like the Marionette and the subsequent tension causes them to look into these systems and they learn a new depth to the game they otherwise never would have, I think that’s a win for everybody. The average skill level rises, and in turn, we devs can make more interesting events that utilize the depth of the systems we have.

Having said all that, if after a week the Marionette is still only being beaten 1 out of 10 times, then I would say we may have tuned it a bit too difficult. On the other hand, we don’t know how long it takes for the aggregate skill level of the player-base to grow. I don’t know how long it takes for information about traits and builds to disseminate to those who had previously never looked into them. As with all our content, we are closely watching and noting these things so that every future project can learn from it.

P.S. Because several people brought up the idea of buffing the other platforms when one succeeds, I thought I ought to let you all know that this has always been the case. When one platform’s power regulator is destroyed the players on the platforms adjacent get Electrify Aura which gives 60 seconds of protection, swiftness, regeneration, fury, might, vigor and retaliation.

When one platform’s power regulator is destroyed the players on the platforms adjacent get Electrify Aura which gives 60 seconds of protection, swiftness, regeneration, fury, might, vigor and retaliation.

Whoa. I don't think I've seen a single person in all my attempts, ever even *notice* that.

EDIT: And wow, already people are complaining that it's "no fun" that Anet is trying to "force" people to get better and improve their skills, since they don't play the game "to get better", just for "fun".

Some people really don't get what games are.

Jira

You do realize you're in an MMO with instancing right? What exactly would be different with 150 people in an instance vs...150 people in an instance?

There's no holy trinity here...a ton of that crap goes away. If they made the instancing cross-server I don't really see that situation developing; there's such a huge playerbase that there will always be a group that won't be practicing elitism available.

GW2 was designed around a core philosophy of being all inclusive rather than exclusionary. As soon as you introduce instancing that is controllable for large scale encounters with large groups of people, you get into exclusionary asshole elitism territory. That's not to say that it's exclusive to large group content cause it's obvious it happens in 5 mans, but when you start talking about challenging content, you'll have assholes who will just kick people from the instance due to a single mistake. This goes against the entire design of GW2. You show up to what you want when you want. No exclusionary bullshit that plagues the rest of the genre and bogs down the whole reason why we play games (to have fun).

Saw a writer for a reasonably big GW2 site - said writer currently is all gaga for ESO and WildStar mind you - saying that the biggest problem with GW2 is Living Story and that Anet is wasting 100% of its resources that could be going to putting in Guild vs Guild on crap "nobody asked for, nobody wants, nobody plays, nobody cares about".

It's like, geeze fella. Just go play something else then.

Well ESO is going to be the biggest MMO bomb since FFXIV 1.0. Quote that if you wish.

Wildstar isn't bad, but it's also very safe and in many ways feels downright archaic in some aspects. It's not going to see mass appeal or anything but will have a following for the raid-centric crowd. Only pros are it's combat, challenge system, and potentially housing. Everything else is very half-baked. $15 sub really won't help the game in the long run.

Lunar15

I get the sentiment of adding challenging content to bring up the level of the player base, but what about the event makes you focus on changing your traits, skills or build?

I had no issues just bashing everything's face in like I always do. I think that's the core issue here: The game doesn't lend itself to teaching anyone why different skills or builds would be particularly helpful.

Jira

I get the sentiment of adding challenging content to bring up the level of the player base, but what about the event makes you focus on changing your traits, skills or build?

I had no issues just bashing everything's face in like I always do. I think that's the core issue here: The game doesn't lend itself to teaching anyone why different skills or builds would be particularly helpful.

I get the impression all that is coming with the new tutorial system.

I do agree there: GW2 lacks a more structured tutorial, or at least more visible helpers, that assist players in learning fundamental things like what traits do, what conditions do, why being able to swap skills on the fly is a great ability that one should fully use, etc. Do kind of wish the community would have picked up the slack there somewhat too - all the self-styled youtube celebs are too busy circlejerking about how much they love WvW and hate Scarlet, instead of really teaching the entry-level players.

Pretty sure he was referring to the most casual players that just sort of felt there way through a build and have rolled with it every since, not the players that have researched or looked up a proper all-purpose PvE build.

Lunar15

The thing is, I don't think the events themselves really push the concept either. A tutorial is all fine and nice, but it doesn't mean anything if you get to level 80 and you realize that being able to kill things fairly fast is pretty helpful in most situations. There's a double edged sword to having world events that aren't instanced: You're going to get a hodgepodge of builds and therefore the event has to be built in such away that it doesn't require any one type of build.

If there is depth in the trait or skill system, I never found it. I'm not a particularly big build guy, I don't enjoy it myself. I'd choose different skills and make some adjustments for team based stuff like dungeons and fractals. World events seem more based on just learning how to follow directions and dodge more than anything.

Retro

These days, I think it goes beyond even that. Some people want their games to be as comforting as the boob toob.

I can understand wanting to have something relaxing and not too difficult. I'm as guilty as anyone of just wanting to log in and mellow out a bit some nights. But that doesn't mean I want everything to be so laid back. Maybe it's my age, but I can't get my head around the idea of a game that isn't at least a little challenging.

Disgusting.

Glass cannon builds are a liability when they get insta-gibbed the second they load onto a platform. Bringing survival skills, and especially reviving skills (Battle Standard, Search and Rescue, Glyph of Renewal, Signet of Mercy, etc.) is important as well (and most players don't bring them because they don't provide any damage).

There's also a lack of critical thinking going on here. The enemy you can't attack head-on has a HUGE UI indicator that makes it obvious what direction he's facing, indicating that's somehow important. Even before you attack him you know something is up, and after the first attack it should be obvious; "I am causing no damage, that big arrow thing is pointing towards me, ergo I probably need to attack from another direction."

The problem is (and many of us, including Colin, were lamenting this in guild chat last night) there's a division between gamers that's more than just 'casual' and 'hardcore'; it's the older gamers who enjoy a game because it requires skill and growth, and the younger gamers who want instant gratification and a set of novel experiences. Colin mentioned basically the same thing Josh Foreman did in his post; their data shows some people just don't ever bother to look at what traits are, or can't be bothered to equip a second weapon set or change their utility skills. While a strong case could be made that the game lacks a tutorial (and one is coming), it's not exactly subtle about new skills, traits, etc. being unlocked either. I wonder if they have data for how long a hint message is displayed before it's closed. I wonder if it's far too fast for anyone to possibly read it. I wonder how I can build a rocket to get the fuck off this planet.

I hate to say it, but we're in the world of TL:DR now.

TLDR: Old man yells at cloud.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I can understand wanting to have something relaxing and not too difficult. I'm as guilty as anyone of just wanting to log in and mellow out a bit. But that doesn't mean I want everything to be so laid back. Maybe it's my age, but I can't get my head around the idea of a game that isn't at least a little challenging.

That's the funny thing here. There's so much stuff you could go do in GW2. It seems that some players get aggravated if there's anything skill-based (even mildly) anywhere in a game. Those darn elitists, over there doing skill things.

Retro

Just a tour. Who knows what's next?

Really though, I don't think I'll be educated enough for something like that until after next school year. I made is this far on the kindness of others, and that won't be forgotten.

Take lots of photos, steal some exclusive swag, get us a lock of Colin's hair and we'll consider the debt repaid.

jersoc

Glass cannon is fine. I'm all zerker and do just well. Guards have one of the lowest hp pools too. This hate on zerker is ridiculous.

Shiokazu

Whoa. I don't think I've seen a single person in all my attempts, ever even *notice* that.

EDIT: And wow, already people are complaining that it's "no fun" that Anet is trying to "force" people to get better and improve their skills, since they don't play the game "to get better", just for "fun".

Some people really don't get what games are.

what is happening to the playerbase? we are gamers! the gamer entertaiment is about getting better and using your skills, thats THE MAIN REASON WE CAN CONTROL STUFF ON GAMES! ITS NOT A MOVIE, ITS NOT A BOOK, ITS NOT A SERIES, GODDAMIT, ITS A GAME! its interactive, you HAVE to do shit arg i...

i want to punch these guys in the face so hard their headaches will hit them again and again and again because of the impact's echo.

Holycow, this guy:

What a psychopath.

what is the problem here i... i...

I%20DONT%20WANT%20TO%20LIVE%20IN%20THIS%20WORLD%20ANYMORE%20alice.jpg

Glass cannon is fine. I'm all zerker and do just well. Guards have one of the lowest hp pools too. This hate on zerker is ridiculous.

its not hate. zerker is a viable build if you can avoid damage, stuff that when you raise the bar a little bit some people cant do. it is recommended even to the future zerker player to pick knight's first, then switch to zerker, so he will have a little bit protection in order to learn how to avoid damage and time the dodging well.

its not hate. its just that people use zerk but dont know how to avoid getting damaged, causing a real problem in the Bfield.

Complistic

exhibit A: I just tried a cof that failed because I had 4 zerker thieves join me and all fall over dead at the first boss in p1. There isn't a stigma against zerker, but there is one against zerker noobs.

Remfin

I get what you all are saying (I know exactly what their philosophy is), but the fact the same people can keep showing up and dragging down huge events sucks. It doesn't matter what it does to their rep, since there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

Yes, there were the jerk zerk groups. And you could get a group ignoring them anyway. Honestly, the real problem at the time was the lack of a LFG tool so you didn't find out that stuff until after the frustrating join/kick cycles.

With a potential grouping pool of millions and no class bullshit, I would rather be able to still have this content available in some fashion later instead of worrying about phantom elitism problems. I love small group stuff, but I also love this big group stuff, and a fractal version will just not be the same.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Saw a writer for a reasonably big GW2 site - said writer currently is all gaga for ESO and WildStar mind you - saying that the biggest problem with GW2 is Living Story and that Anet is wasting 100% of its resources that could be going to putting in Guild vs Guild on crap "nobody asked for, nobody wants, nobody plays, nobody cares about".

It's like, geeze fella. Just go play something else then.
There is a whole lot, a whole lot wrong with just about everything so-and-so has uttered here, but alas. I'd love for ESO and Wildstar to both be great, successful games that directly competed with GW2 but I don't think there's much evidence that will be the case.
Holycow, this guy:

What a psychopath.
If demonstrable this behavior should simply be bannable. I honestly don't even care what justifications might be offered for it not being banworthy; nothing about taking part in this community is a right, it is privilege from character creation to the day the servers shut down and all he's doing is advertising that he doesn't deserve it.
jersoc said:
It's not just "fine," it's actively the best you can bring to the table in most PvE scenarios if you can stay alive through skilled play. Dead people do no DPS. Things you may not be considering:

1) Its advantages are either primarily or completely negated against open-world bosses
2) Because it was, for what has been a majority of the game's lifespan, touted as "the best PvE set," it was embraced by many players even if they didn't have (or before they had acquired) the requisite skill
3) Your personal skill level is nowhere near the baseline in question when these discussions come up. The fact that you use your own play as a zerker guardian as evidence contradicting any evident issue only shows that you're missing the scope of the problem.

Combine these three factors and it should be simple to understand how things can go awry in any number of scenarios.

Jira

Did you know that each regulator destroyed buffs the adjacent platform? So the faster you do well, the better the chances everyone else will succeed. Be sure to read the whole thing too as it's very insightful to their design.

Not at all. The Marionette was not designed to be beaten only by “elite” players. We have an idea of where the average player is skill-wise, and placed the bar where we hoped would just a tad above that, in the hopes that they would have to stretch a bit. That stretching creates tension, which is the sweet spot in event-type content as far as I’m concerned. (as opposed to the abnegation style smooth sailing content that most of an MMO needs to be.) Without the tension new things get boring faster. Too much tension, (as seems to be your case) and people give up and the content is wasted on them. That seems to be your argument about this event.

Because the player base is a diverse lot, ANY amount of tension will frustrate SOME amount, causing them to be turned off. So fundamentally we have to ask ourselves if we want to ever ask the player to stretch, or keep them all in a happy abnegated state of chillaxing. Does the benefit to those who want some tension from time to time outweigh the frustration of those who don’t?

The other question that I hope is answered in the positive is this: Can the average player skill be raised by challenging content like this? We know that X% of players don’t know about traits. We know Y% never swap out their 7-0 skills to accommodate specific challenges. And there are probably dozens of other systems that go unused by some portion of the player-base. If even 10% of that group hits a challenge like the Marionette and the subsequent tension causes them to look into these systems and they learn a new depth to the game they otherwise never would have, I think that’s a win for everybody. The average skill level rises, and in turn, we devs can make more interesting events that utilize the depth of the systems we have.

Having said all that, if after a week the Marionette is still only being beaten 1 out of 10 times, then I would say we may have tuned it a bit too difficult. On the other hand, we don’t know how long it takes for the aggregate skill level of the player-base to grow. I don’t know how long it takes for information about traits and builds to disseminate to those who had previously never looked into them. As with all our content, we are closely watching and noting these things so that every future project can learn from it.

P.S. Because several people brought up the idea of buffing the other platforms when one succeeds, I thought I ought to let you all know that this has always been the case. When one platform’s power regulator is destroyed the players on the platforms adjacent get Electrify Aura which gives 60 seconds of protection, swiftness, regeneration, fury, might, vigor and retaliation.

Proven

I read the post on Reddit not too long ago and my first thought was "SO THAT'S WHAT ELECTRIFY AURA DOES!" I'd been trying to figure out how it showed up from Day 1.

The only thing I don't get is that the primary thing you're missing out on is AP. It's not like you can complete the meta in one sitting, and just running through the lanes killing enemies gets you fragments which give you guaranteed rares anyway.

I got the meta days ago and I still pop in because it's the most dynamic and inclusive PvE content to date. It combines the strategy of showing up with a ton of people and needing to split up to do different roles (keeping up walls and siege, slowing the marionettes, taking care of the watchwork trash, watching out for Aether Champions and their mortars, killing off the backline spawns) along with the dynamic tactics that come from throwing a small group of people into a challenge together. Once the weekend came I stopped trying to get into mainflow and just let myself fall into whatever overflow I get. I still get close runs during prime time and if I did more than one or two runs a day I'd probably see a lot more successes.

I've been doing this event on my Power Necro and coincidentally I haven't had to really change my build. But that's because my build is already so multi-purpose. I'm carrying pulls, chills, immobilize, vulnerability, lots of cripple, a bit of AoE, and perma-swiftness. There's other stuff too but those are the things I've found most useful for the event. As another said, you can easily beat the Wardens with a condi class too. Still, it blew my mind when I saw that there are even a significant percentage of people that don't really use the trait system at all...

Jira

I read the post on Reddit not too long ago and my first thought was "SO THAT'S WHAT ELECTRIFY AURA DOES!" I'd been trying to figure out how it showed up from Day 1.

The only thing I don't get is that the primary thing you're missing out on is AP. It's not like you can complete the meta in one sitting, and just running through the lanes killing enemies gets you fragments which give you guaranteed rares anyway.

I got the meta days ago and I still pop in because it's the most dynamic and inclusive PvE content to date. It combines the strategy of showing up with a ton of people and needing to split up to do different roles (keeping up walls and siege, slowing the marionettes, taking care of the watchwork trash, watching out for Aether Champions and their mortars, killing off the backline spawns) along with the dynamic tactics that come from throwing a small group of people into a challenge together. Once the weekend came I stopped trying to get into mainflow and just let myself fall into whatever overflow I get. I still get close runs during prime time and if I did more than one or two runs a day I'd probably see a lot more successes.

I've been doing this event on my Power Necro and coincidentally I haven't had to really change my build. But that's because my build is already so multi-purpose. I'm carrying pulls, chills, immobilize, vulnerability, lots of cripple, a bit of AoE, and perma-swiftness. There's other stuff too but those are the things I've found most useful for the event. As another said, you can easily beat the Wardens with a condi class too. Still, it blew my mind when I saw that there are even a significant percentage of people that don't really use the trait system at all...

Was reading this and nodding along. I agree really. I got my meta about 3 days after the update without even trying for it and now if I miss out on currently 39 achievement points, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it cause I can make it up by doing stuff I don't normally do like spvp or WvW or something. It's just points...I mean I could understand if we were talking a title or unique reward here but it's not like you can't get the points elsewhere. I've beaten the fight twice now and I'm very happy. I still jump in and do it whenever it's up because it's just an enjoyable fight all around regardless of whether we win or lose. Obviously I want to win, but this is designed so that losing doesn't feel like such a kick in the nuts since you still get loot to salvage for MF, rares, etc.

The people who have not set their traits makes me think, how many GW2 players are trying an rpg/MMO for the first time.

I don't know how ANET will do it but it seems like a difficult thing to teach.

jersoc

There is a whole lot, a whole lot wrong with just about everything so-and-so has uttered here, but alas. I'd love for ESO and Wildstar to both be great, successful games that directly competed with GW2 but I don't think there's much evidence that will be the case.

If demonstrable this behavior should simply be bannable. I honestly don't even care what justifications might be offered for it not being banworthy; nothing about taking part in this community is a right, it is privilege from character creation to the day the servers shut down and all he's doing is advertising that he doesn't deserve it.

It's not just "fine," it's actively the best you can bring to the table in most PvE scenarios if you can stay alive through skilled play. Dead people do no DPS. Things you may not be considering:

1) Its advantages are either primarily or completely negated against open-world bosses
2) Because it was, for what has been a majority of the game's lifespan, touted as "the best PvE set," it was embraced by many players even if they didn't have (or before they had acquired) the requisite skill
3) Your personal skill level is nowhere near the baseline in question when these discussions come up. The fact that you use your own play as a zerker guardian as evidence contradicting any evident issue only shows that you're missing the scope of the problem.

Combine these three factors and it should be simple to understand how things can go awry in any number of scenarios.

it's completely viable against world bosses. if you bring anything other than it or possibly knights to marionette you're gonna have a bad time.

it still is the best, imo. the game is built to do as much dmg as possible. it works both way, a dead mob can't do any dmg. w/o dedicated healers this what we have. best defense is offense. anet will have to fundementally change things for zerker to change. they could probably start with all those shitty passive traits.

so what is the scope? I'm thinking if people don't know what's going on no set of gear is going to make up for their lack of knowledge. is that the players fault or tghe game's once again? Maybe i missed it, but no where does the game tell you to kite that champ through mines. first time i fought it i just avoided those mines, which works the same. i only figured out the stacking boss from years of WoW. This game does a poor job explaining stuff to others. The vast majority of people will never consult guides. I saw this time and time again with WoW raiding. Some people just don't play like that. It's up the devs to fix that.

you and i play this game very differently so we have very different paths we want this game to go. I actually think the marionette fight is one of the funnest fights in the game. Shame it's going away. Only done wurm once and it just one head so I don't know about that. Teq would be awesome if you could kill him outside of reset. Marionette actually feels like a true raid to me. Lots of players all needing to do different things to achieve the same goal. I always enjoyed the WoW bosses where groups had to split up, like 4 horsemen.

Retro

Coming Next Week: The Edge of the Mists
Prepare to chase Scarlet’s Aetherblade pirates into a place beyond time and space – the mysterious Edge of the Mists!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkA0Y_KRcTo

MMORPG.com said:
ArenaNet and the Guild Wars 2 team are ready to take the wraps off the Edge of Mists realm that players will discover alongside the Aetherblade, minions of arch-nemesis, Scarlet Briar. The video gives players an inside look at the Edge of Mists and includes a glimpse of crumbling edifices, ice-covered mountains, banks of impenetrable clouds and more.

The Aetherblades, dreaded sky pirates of Tyria, have also discovered the “Edge of the Mists.” Minions of Scarlet, the Aetherblades have descended from their airships. Although their true aims in this virgin territory of Tyria remain unknown, what’s certain is that they’re ready to take on any newcomers. (source)

Proven

it's completely viable against world bosses. if you bring anything other than it or possibly knights to marionette you're gonna have a bad time.

it still is the best, imo. the game is built to do as much dmg as possible. it works both way, a dead mob can't do any dmg. w/o dedicated healers this what we have. best defense is offense. anet will have to fundementally change things for zerker to change. they could probably start with all those shitty passive traits.

so what is the scope? I'm thinking if people don't know what's going on no set of gear is going to make up for their lack of knowledge. is that the players fault or tghe game's once again? Maybe i missed it, but no where does the game tell you to kite that champ through mines. first time i fought it i just avoided those mines, which works the same. i only figured out the stacking boss from years of WoW. This game does a poor job explaining stuff to others. The vast majority of people will never consult guides. I saw this time and time again with WoW raiding. Some people just don't play like that. It's up the devs to fix that.

you and i play this game very differently so we have very different paths we want this game to go. I actually think the marionette fight is one of the funnest fights in the game. Shame it's going away. Only done wurm once and it just one head so I don't know about that. Teq would be awesome if you could kill him outside of reset. Marionette actually feels like a true raid to me. Lots of players all needing to do different things to achieve the same goal. I always enjoyed the WoW bosses where groups had to split up, like 4 horsemen.

You know how every enemy with some noteworthy mechanic has a little tooltip under their name? That let's you know about kiting it into its own mines. It's the first thing I always immediately check whenever something unexpected happens during a fight (in this case, doing no damage).

Coming Next Week: The Edge of the Mists
Prepare to chase Scarlet’s Aetherblade pirates into a place beyond time and space – the mysterious Edge of the Mists!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkA0Y_KRcTo
I will say that there were airships and Aetherblade spawns from day one of the alpha test...

Retro

Massively said:
Guild Wars 2's new World vs. World map, the Edge of the Mists, has been in beta testing for several months. Soon, players will get to experience it in the live game, along with (hopefully) reduced WvW queue times and new opportunities to beat up players from rival realities. There's trouble in PvP paradise, though, and it comes in familiar red airships.

ArenaNet's Colin Johanson and Meelad Sadat sat down with us to talk about the upcoming content release, appropriately named Edge of the Mists. Jump past the cut to grab some info and watch the teaser video!

The lull before the storm

The living world story's iconic characters are heading their separate ways for now. Players will meet up with Marjory Delaqua and Kasmeer Meade at The Dead End, where they've gathered all available evidence on Scarlet from both recent and past events. More of Scarlet Briar's character and motivations will be revealed through their investigation as they attempt to figure out her plan and stay ahead of her next move.

In the previous release, The Origins of Madness, players made the acquaintance of Taimi, a tiny Asura progeny who rides a golem named Scruffy and has an unusually cheerful interest in Scarlet's theories. She also seems to have captured the hearts of quite a few players. Johanson explained that Taimi is an orphan, although ArenaNet isn't ready to tell the story behind the loss of her parents just yet. She's been described as the ward of Destiny's Edge member Zojja; while players won't find out the details of their relationship in this release, Johanson did mention that Zojja has difficulty handling people who think they're smarter than she is. And since Taimi, who is technically a student of the Asuran colleges, has decided to ditch school completely and take her education into her own hands, we suspect this might be a point of conflict in the future.

Taimi has already taken a shine to Braham Eirsson (to his dismay). In spite of his grumbling, Braham is softhearted enough to chase after her when she does something really dangerous: Scarlet is sending her Aetherblades to the Edge of the Mists to set the final stage of her plan in motion, and Taimi has followed them.

Don't lose your Edge
Johanson described this release as the lightest of the four living world season finale chapters. The primary gameplay content for this chapter will take place in the Edge of the Mists map itself, as the Aetherblades try to claim it for their mistress. As for what Scarlet hopes to gain there, or what information players might discover for themselves, you'll have to step in and find out!

If the Edge of the Mists isn't your thing, don't fret; Scarlet will be continuing to test the Twisted Marionette in Lornar's Pass. European server Desolation has claimed the first kill of the Cobalt, Amber and Crimson Great Jungle Wurms in Bloodtide Coast, but Sadat confirmed that the three-pronged world boss had taken several days longer to down for the first time than the revamped Tequatl encounter. Johanson added that Tequatl was defeated sooner than ArenaNet expected and that the wurm encounter fits the originally estimated time frame for a challenging major world boss defeat more closely.

The Edge of the Mists content release will go live on February 4th. We'd like to thank Colin Johanson and Meelad Sadat for taking the time to chat with us! (source)

The narration kind of sucked.... but the premise and potential is nice. New dungeon perhaps?

New World vs. World map that overflows rather than hitting hardcap.

Proven

New World vs. World map that overflows rather than hitting hardcap.

It's a new map that overflows, has a match timer lasting a couple hours rather than an entire week, and (I wish I had gone back to the alpha forum and double checked if this was confirmed) combines teams across all servers of the same color.

Retro

^^^ All that and more.

Also, already seeing comments on Reddit that EotM is all an elaborate scheme to further perpetuate server population imbalances by dragging even more people away from "Real WvW." The Real WvWers are then forced to transfer to servers with higher populations, which of course means they have to buy gems.

Real fuckin' Tin Foil hat territory.

They can transfer to other servers if they want the camps on "real" WvW maps has not changed so they would be just waiting even longer to get into "real" WvW.

This is one time where they cannot say the came up with story and then they designed the location.

This to me feels like shoe horning EOTM into the scarlet story because...why not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Found a champion ram out in timberline falls. It was neutral even, just wandering around. Naturally, I had to let everyone know about it so we could take its head.
Here's an action shot of our great hunt.
That ram don't kid around
it's completely viable against world bosses.
Most world bosses simply cannot even be critically hit, completely negating two of the stats in its distribution.
if you bring anything other than it or possibly knights to marionette you're gonna have a bad time.
I just disagree, and it's perplexing to me how difficult it seems for you to acknowledge the "bad time" had by all when people rapidly go down against their wardens and chains fail. I use my support/sustain set with my thief for marionette specifically because I have a better chance of staying alive and keeping others alive at the sacrifice of the best damage possible and I've done quite well.
it still is the best, imo.
Yep, I said it was, with the requisite level of skill.
you and i play this game very differently so we have very different paths we want this game to go.
That is absolutely the case. I don't always understand what appeals to you about it.

I wonder if to any extent you can sympathize with the view expressed by this poster in Foreman's thread:
People don’t play the game to improve… other people’s gameplay. If you want to “shake things up” and get players who never change traits or skills to learn, that’s fine, but bar them from the difficult content. You are putting the special ed kids in with the honors class.
To me, this attitude is toxic, abhorrent. I want nothing to do with it. It belongs in other games- plenty of them- which I can just choose not to play or financially support. But a lot of the magic in GW2 for me comes from the fact that players of a wide variety of skill levels can cooperate, improve and succeed together, to the exclusion of as absolutely few as possible.
I actually think the marionette fight is one of the funnest fights in the game.
But I do too... it's maybe my favorite individual encounter in the game.
Teq would be awesome if you could kill him outside of reset.
Unless recruiting is closed, you could always join TTS for multiple kill chances throughout the day.

kiriin

^^^ All that and more.

Also, already seeing comments on Reddit that EotM is all an elaborate scheme to further perpetuate server population imbalances by dragging even more people away from "Real WvW." The Real WvWers are then forced to transfer to servers with higher populations, which of course means they have to buy gems.

Real fuckin' Tin Foil hat territory.

That funny, most of the "real wvwers" are okay/happy with eotm. No queues and gvg scrims and basically a dueling/roaming arena.

Only collect 40, not 50, because you get 10 just for discovering the secret lair.

I saw that, I know enough to look this stuff up. :p Funny how it's under the Priory of all places, you'd think they would notice something like that...

I hung around the probe in the zone last night between a couple of marionette fights and picked up another 15 cores, so I'm half way there already.

Can you only go into the lair once?

I saw that, I know enough to look this stuff up. :p Funny how it's under the Priory of all places, you'd think they would notice something like that...

I hung around the probe in the zone last night between a couple of marionette fights and picked up another 15 cores, so I'm half way there already.

Hiding in plain site is actually pretty clever. No one expects the enemies base to literally be that close to your own.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I don't totally understand it yet but so far as I know you can enter at will(?) once you have done so once? Or at least don't need to collect the cores again?

I got 12 just wandering around Lornar's with my ele last night. Just going on foot and doing events and hearts in the way between probes, I actually had a lot of fun. it's such a massive zone...
Don't all Asura think they're smarter than everyone else?
All non-asura sure... don't worry, you're not expected to understand such matters :D

Lunar15

I don't totally understand it yet but so far as I know you can enter at will(?) once you have done so once? Or at least don't need to collect the cores again?

I got 12 just wandering around Lornar's with my ele last night. Just going on foot and doing events and hearts in the way between probes, I actually had a lot of fun. it's such a massive zone...

All non-asura sure... don't worry, you're not expected to understand such matters :D

I'd like to see an Asura that doesn't think of itself as the smartest Asura ever born.

Pah, Icerender and The Blade both know they aren't as smart as Snaff. ;_;

Zojja's debatable.

Come on now. Zojja's always been humble in the presence of Snaff. She felt she had more to contribute but definitely recognized that Snaff was the greater of their two minds. I think she's the only Asura that has ever acknowledged another even a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom