• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you can see, in all cases, no matter what specs we have, 35-40fps is like a cap for the Mystic Plaza in LA... Sure there are lot's of players, but things only get worse in fights with that much (or even more) people.
What 40 fps cap?
dbcUlph.jpg
Graphic settings and number of players on screen matter so much to the fps, more than CPU and GPU types.

Your friend with the i5 was using more than 50% CPU before he minimized the game screen, since that 53% mark is after he minimized so he can screenshot the task manager (you can clearly see the GPU usage drop).

The Xeon is 4 core/8 thread, so 50% makes sense since GW2 does not take advantage of hyperthreading/virtual cores. It sucks, and makes i7 processors worthless for this game. Granted, >99% of games out today don't make use of the hyperthreading.

swnny

What 40 fps cap?

Not like a hard 40fps cap or limit, but more like, the game engine is "struggling"(as a non-english speaker, I'm not sure if that's the right word) to get more then that in scenarios with a lot of people, despite what machine it is running on.

And with your screenshot you are only proving me right, because at time of taking it, player models and even the NPCs are not fully loaded (see the merchant next to the mystic). And when they load, with this settings, your frame rate will drop to ~35-40.

Of course, if you use the High Performance preset (i.e. everything on low/lowest) you may be able to see even 100+ fps in there, but that's not the point. ^^

Shiokazu

IM GOING TO BE ROCKING THE EOTM ALL DAY TODAY UNTIL MISSIONS JUST SEND ME A INVITE IF YOU'RE UP TO JOIN PLUS NO COMMA AND FULL CAPS POST BECAUSE ITS HARD TO UNDERSTAND

for the lulz only.

Ashodin

IM GOING TO BE ROCKING THE EOTM ALL DAY TODAY UNTIL MISSIONS JUST SEND ME A INVITE IF YOU'RE UP TO JOIN PLUS NO COMMA AND FULL CAPS POST BECAUSE ITS HARD TO UNDERSTAND

for the lulz only.

aww yeah and missions have higher chances of ascended weaps now :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Been trying to get back into the game. Levelling up my first alt and holy shit EOTM is fun. I've never played WvW before - never even given it a second though, but holy shit. So much fun.

I work late nights, so I find it hard to have the time to play, especially for scheduled Guild related fun times. =/ But decided to use my free time this weekend to sink back into the game.

Says the guy with two legendaries

I don't remember getting a second one...

GAFGUILD Missions TONIGHT!
Be there, hope on mumble so we can make fun of Ashodin.

It will be 5 hours from now.

SBI vs Triple Threat Event will be 2 hours from now. Get on team speak (ts3.stormbluffisle.com) if you want to help out.
http://quagganspress.wordpress.com/2014/01/21/guide-killing-the-great-jungle-wurm/
Read up a bit on how the event works if you do not want to be lost, in-case you cannot go on TS. Usually the explain stuff on TS but that site helps you understand how each wurm works.

Ashodin

I don't remember getting a second one...

GAFGUILD Missions TONIGHT!
Be there, hope on mumble so we can make fun of Ashodin.

It will be 5 hours from now.

SBI vs Triple Threat Event will be 2 hours from now. Get on team speak (ts3.stormbluffisle.com) if you want to help out.

You know I don't quite enjoy getting made fun of all the time

And with your screenshot you are only proving me right, because at time of taking it, player models and even the NPCs are not fully loaded (see the merchant next to the mystic). And when they load, with this settings, your frame rate will drop to ~35-40.

Of course, if you use the High Performance preset (i.e. everything on low/lowest) you may be able to see even 100+ fps in there, but that's not the point. ^^
I matched your friend's graphics settings. It just shows that an overclockable 4c/4T i5 is that much better for this game than a stock 4c/8T CPU. GW2 doesn't use hyperthreading or virtual cores, including your AMD's.

Your friend's screenshot does not show the same merchant in his screenshot either at the same distance as mine. All the models have been loaded at the time of the screenshot. This is due to the character limit setting of "medium." Of course my fps is going to drop if I increase the character limit. It's part of the graphical settings, just like shadows and reflections. There is no MMO out there that can maintain this many number of customized characters on screen, with these textures, at 1080p, and maintain a solid 60 fps. Not totally Anet's fault there. They bear responsibility for using a poor culling engine, however, and messing up the frametimes now and then.

swnny

I matched your friend's graphics settings. It just shows that an overclockable 4c/4T i5 is that much better for this game than a stock 4c/8T CPU. GW2 doesn't use hyperthreading or virtual cores, including your AMD's.

Your friend's screenshot does not show the same merchant in his screenshot either at the same distance as mine. All the models have been loaded at the time of the screenshot. This is due to the character limit setting of "medium." Of course my fps is going to drop if I increase the character limit. It's part of the graphical settings, just like shadows and reflections. There is no MMO out there that can maintain this many number of customized characters on screen, with these textures, at 1080p, and maintain a solid 60 fps. Not totally Anet's fault there. They bear responsibility of using a poor culling engine, however, and messing up the frametimes now and then.

You are right! I stand corrected.
I did not realize that the distance from behind the WP to the NPC is greater then from the bridge. This and the fact, that for me, LA is so crowded, I see player names everywhere, so yours looked empty. :)

Anyways, still the game have frame rate drops not only with lots of players on the screen, but also in places with lots of stuff going on in general... Even in sPvP where 5v5 players fight on one point, there are fps drops. Not as huge as in WvW zergs, but it still is annoying...
The "Effect LOD" option helped in some extend, but more optimizations like this are needed.

Retro

Been trying to get back into the game. Levelling up my first alt and holy shit EOTM is fun. I've never played WvW before - never even given it a second though, but holy shit. So much fun.

I work late nights, so I find it hard to have the time to play, especially for scheduled Guild related fun times

Welcome back; we have mission makeups on Sunday at 3pm Eastern, is that any better time-wise?

You know I don't quite enjoy getting made fun of all the time

Then stop doing silly things all the time.
wHe21.gif

Bradach

Hey, I just started in GW2 and would like to join the GAF guild.

My user name is Bradach.6308

Can someone here add me? I tried to send an in game mail like to OP said but it kept telling me the recipients names were wrong

Retro

It seems reasonable. :) Need to see how it works out.

It usually depends on how much help we have, as anything less than 12 people means puzzle / challenge can be a headache.

Hey, I just started in GW2 and would like to join the GAF guild.

My user name is Bradach.6308

Can someone here add me? I tried to send an in game mail like to OP said but it kept telling me the recipients names were wrong

Hmm, the names all appear to be right. either way, invite sent.

Here's some quick tips to get you started out; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70635131&postcount=325

Bradach

It usually depends on how much help we have, as anything less than 12 people means puzzle / challenge can be a headache.

Hmm, the names all appear to be right. either way, invite sent.

Here's some quick tips to get you started out; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70635131&postcount=325
Thanks for the invite. It'll be a lot more fun playing with Gaffers. I'll go through the tips. There's a lot to learn but I'm enjoying it so far

Proven

Wurm attempt is in 30 min. I'm already on the map so if anybody needs an invite, look up Knive Smithblade from the guild list and send me a party request.

Retro

We're doing the Sunday makeups at the regular time too people so don't think it's all 9 PM again because of Mario.

.... what?

Saturday missions are at 9 pm Eastern.
Makeup Missions are Sunday at 3 pm Eastern.

Makeup Missions usually start a bit late since the number of volunteers determines how much content we can do, but they've never been that late. For example, last week they were delayed for Marionette and this week will probably be much the same. A few people makes the difference between doing a puzzle or skipping it.

Thanks for the invite. It'll be a lot more fun playing with Gaffers. I'll go through the tips. There's a lot to learn but I'm enjoying it so far

It can be a bit overwhelming, but eventually it becomes second nature. If this is your first MMO, you actually have an advantage as there are a lot of bad habits and broken concepts you won't have to unlearn.

Also, I noticed earlier (sorry to disappear so quickly, by the way) that you're playing on Desolation. Since you're in North America, you can guest to any server (including Stormbluff Isle, where GAF is), but for World vs. World and Edge of the Mists you won't be able to join us (since those are server vs. server game modes)

The reason I mention it is, if you're still fairly early in the game, you can delete your characters and re-select which server you play on, whereas later it will have a real-world cost associated with it. If you picked Desolation for a reason, that's perfectly fine and you can still participate in PVE stuff, but if you just grabbed it at random you might want to change now rather than later.

Luckily, should you decide to delete your characters, names are held for 24 hours and between the account-wide bank and wallet, all of your money / crafting materials / stuff can be held over for the new characters. No matter what you decide to do, representing GAF means you can still use guild chat to get questions and groups.

Retro is wrong as usual.

Desolation is EU (aka only Euro server to beat the new Wurm).
You won't be able to guest to SBI, Bradach.

If you want to play with gaffers, delete characters, create new one and select STormbluff Isle as your server.

Ashodin

.... what?

Saturday missions are at 9 pm Eastern.
Makeup Missions are Sunday at 3 pm Eastern.

Makeup Missions usually start a bit late since the number of volunteers determines how much content we can do, but they've never been that late. For example, last week they were delayed for Marionette and this week will probably be much the same. A few people makes the difference between doing a puzzle or skipping it.

It can be a bit overwhelming, but eventually it becomes second nature. If this is your first MMO, you actually have an advantage as there are a lot of bad habits and broken concepts you won't have to unlearn.

Also, I noticed earlier (sorry to disappear so quickly, by the way) that you're playing on Desolation. Since you're in North America, you can guest to any server (including Stormbluff Isle, where GAF is), but for World vs. World and Edge of the Mists you won't be able to join us (since those are server vs. server game modes)

The reason I mention it is, if you're still fairly early in the game, you can delete your characters and re-select which server you play on, whereas later it will have a real-world cost associated with it. If you picked Desolation for a reason, that's perfectly fine and you can still participate in PVE stuff, but if you just grabbed it at random you might want to change now rather than later.

Luckily, should you decide to delete your characters, names are held for 24 hours and between the account-wide bank and wallet, all of your money / crafting materials / stuff can be held over for the new characters. No matter what you decide to do, representing GAF means you can still use guild chat to get questions and groups.

Oh oops. Cancel that previous message then. Clearly I kept thinking it was at 8:30

Hey guys, so I spilled coffee on my keyboard(a cheap MS one so no worries) and I'm going to use it as an excuse to upgrade to a really nice mechanical one. Would you recommend Cherry MX Reds or Browns? The CoolerMaster QuickFire Pro looks very nice and is Browns. Are Browns better for MMO's and Reds for FPS?

Retro

Retro is wrong as usual.

Desolation is EU.

If you want to play with gaffers, delete characters, create new one and select STormbluff Isle as your server.

Ah, you're right. In my defense, I had just woken up from a very nice afternoon nap.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey guys gonna try and get on for at least some of missions this time, but we'll be skipping the lotto this week.

Retro

Excellent missions tonight; Skritt Challenge, Diplomat Tarban for Bounty, Snowden Drifts Puzzle and the first Quaggan Rush we've had in a loooooooong time.

Makeups are tomorrow at 3pm Eastern. Volunteers are appreciated as the number of missions we can do is dependent upon how many people we have to help out.

No lottery this week, remember to put 1g per ticket (up to 5 tickets max) in the guild Treasure Trove to win the pot next week.

GAFGuild.com will be up TBD, our webhost sucks so we're after a new one. Will post more details as we get them.

Aquila

Glad to hear that missions were a routine run tonight. Snow and work conspired against me so I'll rally up for midweek make-ups.

Bradach

Retro is wrong as usual.

Desolation is EU (aka only Euro server to beat the new Wurm).

Ah I see. I'm playing from EU. I just picked a server at random when I started.
So if I delete my character and restart the game I can join the SBI server.
I'll do this later

Ah I see. I'm playing from EU. I just picked a server at random when I started.
So if I delete my character and restart the game I can join the SBI server.
I'll do this later
Don't forget to put anything you've gotten into you bank before deleting. You get to keep anything in there even with all your characters deleted.

Bradach

Don't forget to put anything you've gotten into you bank before deleting. You get to keep anything in there even with all your characters deleted.
Bugger I've done it now. Ah well, I don't think my other character had very much to bank. Anyway, I'm in SBI now so hopefully I'll get to meet a few of you online from time to time. I don't get a lot of time to play but I'll be on a few nights per week (Irish time)

jersoc

Incorrect.

This is superior to ESDF and WSAD combined:

razer-nostromo-gallery-1.png

meh, i use to use one way back when. it was probably one of the first of those types. Didnt work for me. It was like relearning hotkeys again and in the thick of wow pvp i couldn't do stuff as fast.

Keyboard is fine for me. plus my tray barely holds the kb and mouse as it is.

Bugger I've done it now. Ah well, I don't think my other character had very much to bank. Anyway, I'm in SBI now so hopefully I'll get to meet a few of you online from time to time. I don't get a lot of time to play but I'll be on a few nights per week (Irish time)
I'm Italian, so we'll probably meet quite often! Feel free to ask in chat if you need help!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How much would it cost to transfer to the GAFGuild server if I'm on an EU server? or Can I not?

How much would it cost to transfer to the GAFGuild server if I'm on an EU server? or Can I not?

It costs 1800 gems to transfer to SBI since it is a Very High server. That is equivalent to approximately 140gold.

If you are new and your characters are low level, you can delete them all and recreate one, which will allow you to select which ever server you want. PS If you do this put all your items in the Bank so you can use them on the new characters.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It costs 1800 gems to transfer to SBI since it is a Very High server. That is equivalent to approximately 140gold.

If you are new and your characters are low level, you can delete them all and recreate one, which will allow you to select which ever server you want. PS If you do this put all your items in the Bank so you can use them on the new characters.

Not sure I fancy deleting my characters. How much is 1800 gems?

Arcteryx

Man...the drop rate for some of the Wurm stuff is downright atrocious lol. 1 out of 160 got the Wurm mini last night and no one got an Ascended drop(although, 2 got Ascended drops the previous kill).

They still need to work on rewards in this game, especially for things that take multi-hours to setup, let alone succeed at. Not only monetary but actual legit new skins(not just re-skins) and multi-tiered titles(no more "X killer" titles please).

Retro

Makeup Missions at 3-ish today (we may ran a little late to get more people from Marionette).

Are you talking about the pastebin leaked today with elite skills? If so that was confirmed fake and pulled word for word from some player's post on the official forums.

And from December, and since vanished from Reddit, just like the supposed Living Story leak.

Does the UI load REALLY slow for anyone else? It's very annoying :l

Once in a great while, yeah. It's usually my hotbar taking a few seconds to load, but nothing longer than that. And yes, it usually happens in LA.

You're about 5 hours ahead of us, so you'll likely be on during the day when I play. I'll keep an eye out and help you get back some of whatever you accidentally deleted.

meh, i use to use one way back when. it was probably one of the first of those types. Didnt work for me. It was like relearning hotkeys again and in the thick of wow pvp i couldn't do stuff as fast.

I had the same experience with the Logitec G-13; learning everything felt too awkward and took too long, I found myself using it until things got dangerous and then switching back to the keyboard. Plus typing in chat.

I had the same experience with the Logitec G-13; learning everything felt too awkward and took too long, I found myself using it until things got dangerous and then switching back to the keyboard. Plus typing in chat.

I switched to the G13, there was a learning curve, yes, but I can't see how people manage to press 7 through 0 while moving at the same time. My hands can't reach that far. I use the joystick on the G13 to move. The only disadvantage I have is that I can't double tap to dodge, I need to use a separate key for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom