• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

I switched to the G13, there was a learning curve, yes, but I can't see how people manage to press 7 through 0 while moving at the same time. My hands can't reach that far. I use the joystick on the G13 to move. The only disadvantage I have is that I can't double tap to dodge, I need to use a separate key for that.

You don't. You rebind those keys to something else that's more accessible while keeping your fingers on your movement keys.

Personally, I see zero need for one of those gaming keypads like the G13 or Nostromo.

My setup uses 1-6, QWERTY, ASDFGH, ZXCVB, ~, shift (for dodge) and space. That's more than enough keys for everything while still keeping my hands on my movement keys, rebound to ESDF. Throw in my G700 mouse and I have more buttons than I could ever need for this game.

I use the N52 and it works great for me in every MMO I've played. I did, however, first get it when I was transitioning from Clicking to Hotkeys, so I didn't have to adjust from a keyboard hotkey style, so maybe that played into how easily I adapted to it.

I'd probably parallel it to Hawkian and others claims that they just can't play the game the same way without a controller.

meh, i use to use one way back when. it was probably one of the first of those types. Didnt work for me. It was like relearning hotkeys again and in the thick of wow pvp i couldn't do stuff as fast.

Keyboard is fine for me. plus my tray barely holds the kb and mouse as it is.

It had a learning curve, sure - at first I wasn't sure I'd be up for learning an entirely new left-hand-structure, but then I realized I'm not some 80 year old that can't learn new things, and took it upon myself as a challenge. It was downright fun getting better, and realizing after a few days that I no longer had to think about where my fingers were, that it had become second nature. I found doing a lot of sPvP helped, since it was a less intensive environment (sounds weird, I know) than say, running dungeons or doing PvE.

I guess I just can't forget how it felt learning to use a mouse in first-person shooters for the first time. I came from an era where it was keyboard DOOM and Dukematch, and it was only with the advent of Quake shareware that suddenly there was this push to use mlook. Those first few days, learning how to aim with the mouse, the endless arguments over inverted vs non-inverted.. (I was inverted mlook since 1994, became non-inverted in 2012, imagine how weird that was initially).

And now, with the Nostromo, I can do 100%, every conceivable action I need to do, without ever needing to stop, or move in a certain direction (the problem with WSAD/ESDF - the moment you need to use one of those fingers for an action, you lose one of your possible directions for that moment).

Now I can't imagine playing GW2 without it.

Grayman

After the guild rush timed out I hit 80 on Marsupial Hunter :)

So Warrior item/trait builds? I am thinking I might want a character that doesn't fall over dead all the time.

I have 600k karma if those are decent free armor sets for anything.

Retro

So Warrior item/trait builds? I am thinking I might want a character that doesn't fall over dead all the time.

Gratz.

I like my Warrior build, which is a hybrid of high crit and survivability. It dumps a lot of bleed stacks, a lot of which are generated from crits, while clearing conditions and healing via shouts. I haven't tried it out much in sPVP, but the build itself is derived from a WvW build which you can easily swap a few things to get back to. Utility skills are all shouts: For Great Justice (FGJ), Shake it off and On My Mark. Swap out OMM for Fear Me in WvW. Elite is Warbanner for PVE, Sigil for WvW or soloing (I usually just leave the banner up since it's so damn useful in a pinch).

Knight's armor (Toughness main, Precision/Power secondary) with 6/6 Solider Runes (Toughness, Vitality, shouts clear a condition). Berserker accessories and weapons. The only weapon you're really required to have is mainhand sword; offhand sword and rifle are excellent choices as well since they toss more bleeds. Longbow for AOE needs (you can also self combo your burst skill with Arcing Arrow to gain 3 stacks of might). I usually run with offhand axe for the extra fury (basically permafury with FGJ) and the high damage AOE spin attack. Swap to Warhorn in WvW for perma-swiftness and even more condi-removal.

Traits are 0/30/0/30/10.
Deep Cuts (Bleeds last longer), Blademaster (+10% damage with sword) and Furious (Crits grant adrenaline) in Arms.
Lung Capacity (Shouts recharge faster), Shrug it Off (auto-use Shake it Off) and Vigorous Shouts (Shouts heal) in Tactics.
Warrior's Sprint (Move faster with melee weapons) in Discipline.

Swap Shrug It Off for Quick Breathing in WvW. Swap Warrior's Sprint out when you're not traveling much (dungeons, etc.) and use Inspiring Shouts instead.

Feel free to swap out the points in Discipline for 10 in Arms (Dual Wielding is nice, Death from Above has WvW / EotM uses), I just like having the extra mobility when running about. You can also substitute Zerker gear instead of Knights, but I like the extra survivability.

So whats it take to join Gafguild? Do you have a sign up site or such?

You have to spend 7 minutes in a dark closet with Kos Luftar. He's Canadian, so most people are overwhelmed by the combination of maple, Molsen and moose musk. The alternative method of initiation involves reciting all of Xeris' character names from memory (there are 87 of them).

Alternative from retro's crit build, you could run a DPS build with knight's armor.

Traits would be 30/25/0/0/15 with great sword traits and +15% damage trait from adrenaline. Use knights armor, trinkets, and weapons until you feel sturdy enough that you don't need more toughness. Use berserker's stats for anything else. I like lyssa runes personally, but any crit damage or power rune set would work.

The utilities cna be anything you need. I usually run endure pain, signet of stamina, and signet of fury or frenzy. Healing signet or surge for heal skill.
Weapons are great sword and axe/mace. Sometimes you will want a rifle, though. Don't forget to trait for rifle when you use it (arms trait)

Don't spend your karma on anything other than obsidian shards. Buy all the shards you can when Balthazar's Shrine is open.

Grayman

Thank you Retro and Noisy,

Right now I am trying a probably sub optimal hybrid between the healing shouts and full adren DPS but I can always move these traits around for a few silver. (I swear I once bought a book again to do that!)

Seeing the overlap on items I will start building that way and not use my karma to do it.

Ashodin

VfELDSV.png

Hey guys, just started playing this a few days ago and loving it. Almost 35 on my necro. Been really enjoying everything, PVP is fun, WvW is fun, even just roaming for exp is fun. Did my first meta event today and was amazed at how well done it was, lol. I think that marionette thing is the largest mob I've ever seen in a MMO.

Would love to get into the guild if at all possible. Though I play on Yak's Blend.

Spiritreaver 3182. Character: Chandelures Flame

At lv 41 on the mesmer, still trying to fully get the hang of it when it comes to utility skills.

Also tooka look at the spec for my elementalist and cried. Really need to read up on what the latest thoerycraft is, and perhaps redo it's equipment to get some more damage. Also crafting some daggers for it, as staff doesn't seem to be all that ideal outside some zerg stuff.

Grayman

At lv 41 on the mesmer, still trying to fully get the hang of it when it comes to utility skills.

Also tooka look at the spec for my elementalist and cried. Really need to read up on what the latest thoerycraft is, and perhaps redo it's equipment to get some more damage. Also crafting some daggers for it, as staff doesn't seem to be all that ideal outside some zerg stuff.

For me mesmer really had a lull between the end of low levels and 60. The lull ended after getting a lot of trait points that super powered my shatter playstyle. My default utilities are null field for team condition removal, feedback to reflect a lot of damage at projectile enemies, and create two clones(mirror images?) for more shattering good times. Utilities are something you can switch up for each fight of course.

xeris

Hey guys, just started playing this a few days ago and loving it. Almost 35 on my necro. Been really enjoying everything, PVP is fun, WvW is fun, even just roaming for exp is fun. Did my first meta event today and was amazed at how well done it was, lol. I think that marionette thing is the largest mob I've ever seen in a MMO.

Would love to get into the guild if at all possible. Though I play on Yak's Blend.

Spiritreaver 3182. Character: Chandelures Flame

Invite sent.

I like blink and mirror images on mesmer. The last one varies by situation. Sometimes feedback, sometimes decoy.

As for elementalist, I like running celestial stats on trinkets. Then I use traits and armor/weapons to spec to what I want the build to do.

Boogdud

I use the N52 and it works great for me in every MMO I've played. I did, however, first get it when I was transitioning from Clicking to Hotkeys, so I didn't have to adjust from a keyboard hotkey style, so maybe that played into how easily I adapted to it.

I'd probably parallel it to Hawkian and others claims that they just can't play the game the same way without a controller.

Same. If they ever stop making nostromos I have to give up mmos. My wife is the same way.

Movement to the regular asdf keys, the d-pad for 1-4 skills, rest of the buttons mapped to extra keys on the nostromo and an mmo mouse (2013 naga or g600) and there's nothing I can't do on the move. I never touch the keyboard unless I'm chatting.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The culling of the guild roster is coming on fast. If you are a relatively active player you have nothing to worry about. If you are not and do not wish to be culled, log on and acquire an achievement point (do 1 daily requirement for example) by the end of the day, Wednesday, February 12th.

Anyone culled in error need only contact an officer to get back in pronto.

edit: wow over 490. If we are actually threatening to hit cap from new members, oldies may even be culled before Wednesday to make room.

Retro

Since there are now confirmed spoilers out in the wild, Jira and I would like to ask everyone to please do not mention any Living Story spoilers in guild chat, and if you wish to discuss them in the OT to please make liberal use of spoiler tags.

Thanks.

Lunar15

Since there are now confirmed spoilers out in the wild, Jira and I would like to ask everyone to please do not mention any Living Story spoilers in guild chat, and if you wish to discuss them in the OT to please make liberal use of spoiler tags.

Thanks.

They are confirmed? Are you referring to the french ones?

EDIT: I learned how to read.

Shiokazu

psycho mode activated

hahahahahha aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahhahahahahahah haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhaha

LIONS ARCH WENT DOWN
WENT DOWN
WENT DOWN
LIONS ARCH WENT DOWN
POOR POOR KRYTA

REBUILDED BY SOME PIRATES
OF PIRATES
OF PIRATES
REBULDED BY SOME PIRATES

A MEMBER OF THE COUNCIL GOT KILLED
GOT KILLED
GOT KILLED
A MEMBER OF THE COUNCIL GOT KILLED
FUCKING AETHERBLADES

KIEL GET CHOSEN TO REPLACE
TO REPLACE
TO REPLACE
KIEL GET CHOSEN TO REPLACE
I VOTED KIEL

NOW LIONS ARCH IS GOING DOWN
ONCE AGAIN
ONCE AGAIN
NOW LIONS ARCH IS GOING DOWN
FUCK
YOU
SCARLET

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NEXT IS QUEENSDALE CHAMPION TRAIN

i-want-to-believe.jpg

Ashodin

The culling of the guild roster is coming on fast. If you are a relatively active player you have nothing to worry about. If you are not and do not wish to be culled, log on and acquire an achievement point (do 1 daily requirement for example) by the end of the day, Wednesday, February 12th.

Anyone culled in error need only contact an officer to get back in pronto.

edit: wow over 490. If we are actually threatening to hit cap from new members, oldies may even be culled before Wednesday to make room.

I will deffo get to the culling as per usual. I LOVE DOING IT

Same. If they ever stop making nostromos I have to give up mmos. My wife is the same way.

Movement to the regular asdf keys, the d-pad for 1-4 skills, rest of the buttons mapped to extra keys on the nostromo and an mmo mouse (2013 naga or g600) and there's nothing I can't do on the move. I never touch the keyboard unless I'm chatting.
This is the most efficient way to play, IMO. I have the Nostromo and love it, but I found out that I still needed more buttons, so I got the Orbweaver.

Nostromo:
d0ISvtS.png

Pros:
--cheaper than Razer Orbweaver
--The more distinct D-pad (the circle cap can be removed) is better for my style than the Orbweaver's
--I like its space button more than the newer Orbweaver's

Cons:
--replaced by the Tartarus
--scroll wheel is useless to me. I used its click for the Elite skill. Bright shiny lit button = Elite skill. But I preferred all my skills on the mouse.
--not enough buttons!

Orbweaver:
bHrbikh.png

20 face buttons versus Nostromo's 15.

My keybindings, from key 1 through 20:
Settings window, Guild window, Trading Post, PvP window, Hero Panel
Map screen, Look behind, move forward, Call Target, Auto-run
Item window, strafe left, move backwards, strafe right, Function key
Next target, Previous target, Go to Called Target, Show all tags on screen, Loot All

My thumb button is 4-way, and used for emote macros (wave, bow, "ty," "np"). That button above the directional thumb button is reserved for microphone. I'm still missing keys for the WvW window, Sheath/unsheath weapons, and F12 shortcut, but I can live with that for now.

Now pair that with an MMO mouse. I use the Naga 2013 because of the new scroll-wheel side switches.
UytAtj0.png

The tacky logo light can be turned off. I did.

Thumb buttons 1-12:
F1, F2, F3
Skill 1, 2, 3
Skill 4, 5, F4
Utility 7, 8, 9

Scroll wheel click is for dodge. Scroll wheel right is to switch weapon. Scroll wheel left is to for Heal skill.

The two buttons underneath the scroll wheel are the game changers for me. Due to the side switches on the scroll wheel on the newer Nagas I can now dedicate these two buttons to Esc and Elite skill. It's the Esc key which is the greatest key of all time bound to a mouse for this game. Why? Because Esc is defaulted to close ALL in-game windows. Have the TP, WvW, Hero panel windows all up? No problem, click the Esc button 3 times. All those Vendor windows? Gone. Worthless NPC chat windows and you're too lazy to click on a reply choice? Gone. Click Esc with NO windows on screen? It then brings up the window to change characters or close the game. Marvelous. GOAT.

Downsides of Razer products are of course their reliability and costs. I had to return my first Naga 2013 to Amazon due to a defective scroll wheel but that was thankfully exchanged for free. I've had no problems with the keypads.

I used to think the software that goes with the Razer products was also a downside (I need another program to play? Noooo....), but then I found out that I can turn off the network-nibbling cloud functions. Plus their free 3D virtualized sound program for headphones is actually pretty good, even better than Dolby Headphone if youtube comparisons are to be believed.

Logitech are great alternatives to the Razer set and these two match them key-for-key and more:
G13. Someone in this guild said that the HUD on this can tell you who's talking in Mumble.
8SiOz0m.png

G600. All the same keys as the Naga 2013, but also includes a ring-finger shift key. Meh, I don't like shift-hold keys and would probably turn that off. One button, one shortcut for me.
TLdifJ8.png

If my Razer kits break I might switch over to Logitech's.

With this much control at your fingertips, you'd be crazy to use a controller. The mere thought of using a controller, then going to the keyboard for non-combat shortcuts, or worse, using a trigger button as a shift key, literally perforates my stomach from the stress gastritis.

Retro

So Neko (Bhal Emberfire) has gotten a GAF room setup on the official SBI Teamspeak server. No verification is needed for this room or the Edge of the Mists room either, though the WvW rooms do.

The address is ts3.stormbluffisle.com. Please use [GAF] in front of your username so folks know you belong.

We'll still be using Mumble for guild events and regular hangout, but TS is also nice because it's part of the larger community as a whole and things like WvW and server attempts at worm often make use of it.

Hawkian's got it, as I recall the last time you handled it there were some hiccups and he already said he'd take care of it. You can have a go again next time.

Awesome Post

I should give my G13 a try again, I guess. I didn't care for the thumbstick for movement, but I suppose I could use it for something else.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sweet, thank you very much! :D

edit: Or not!

Haha, I wasn't "calling" it- if Ash wants to have a go at it on Wednesday night he is welcome to. If not I will take care of it at that point myself. Any attempt is likely to have hiccups as this isn't an exact science- luckily, the worst that can happen is that someone just need ask to get back in.

Retro

Haha, I wasn't "calling" it- if Ash wants to have a go at it on Wednesday night he is welcome to. If not I will take care of it at that point myself. Any attempt is likely to have hiccups as this isn't an exact science- luckily, the worst that can happen is that someone just need ask to get back in.

I just figured you'd be a better judge of who's played recently and who hasn't in case the usual culling method isn't 100% accurate. Since you've been on a lot more recently, you'd be able to recognize that "Oh, so-and-so shouldn't be culled, the site is just acting up." Just trying to make it as painless a process and disrupt as few people as possible, that's all.

I just figured you'd be a better judge of who's played recently and who hasn't in case the usual culling method isn't 100% accurate. Since you've been on a lot more recently, you'd be able to recognize that "Oh, so-and-so shouldn't be culled, the site is just acting up." Just trying to make it as painless a process and disrupt as few people as possible, that's all.
Not to step over Ashodins offer but I agree. I don't mind if Ash generates a list of who he might cull but let rest of officers see it just incase we recognize someone that is just away or something. After we go through it quickly he can start the culling.

xeris

Not to step over Ashodins offer but I agree. I don't mind if Ash generates a list of who he might cull but let rest of officers see it just incase we recognize someone that is just away or something. After we go through it quickly he can start the culling.

Not much to add other than ditto. Notes should be compared and such.

Ashodin

Well uh hm. You want to vote me out, you vote me out I guess. Not going to complain, have fun Hawkian! :D

Oh and regardless: Any attempt now is likely to have less hiccups than before because the process I used was a little too forward inclusive. The members are more spread out now through the months, so it should be easier to see who to cull.

Well uh hm. You want to vote me out, you vote me out I guess. Not going to complain, have fun Hawkian! :D

Oh and regardless: Any attempt now is likely to have less hiccups than before because the process I used was a little too forward inclusive. The members are more spread out now through the months, so it should be easier to see who to cull.

Yeah just generate a list from same way you did it last two times I guess and just put it in a google doc. Then we can just all say...yup...go ahead. This way you won't get all the blame for kicking everyone.

Looks like there is a simple tool now to help with member activity.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/community/api/Scraping-leaderboards-for-inactive-members
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/external?l=https://code.google.com/p/gw2-lastonline-leaderboards/

Ashodin

Yeah just generate a list from same way you did it last two times I guess and just put it in a google doc. Then we can just all say...yup...go ahead. This way you won't get all the blame for kicking everyone.

I'm already collating and sorting at the moment. I'll have several lists for you to look at in one google doc soon.

Looks like there is a simple tool now to help with member activity.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/community/api/Scraping-leaderboards-for-inactive-members
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/external?l=https://code.google.com/p/gw2-lastonline-leaderboards/[/QUOTE]

Oh snap. That makes it REALLY easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom