• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiokazu

lions arch must die

next target is queensdale champion train.

i. so. want. to. believe.

btw i got seriously sick, couldnt move out of bed. i dont know what is going on but this is the first time in the day i pick on the computer.

Jira

Really glad to see ANet do exactly what I wanted them to do which was turn LA into a PvE zone (or at least for some time (2 weeks? longer?). Also glad to see that they're willing to do anything, regardless of how it affects the PS in order to move forward with the LS.

Yeah Rollbacks are fairly common in MMO's when the client and server get out of sync due either to Server issues or connection issues. Think of it like extreme rubberbanding.

I have always known "rollbacks" as a more serious setting back everyone/thing than just getting out of sync.

Well terminology wise, a Rollback is typically a specific intentional tactic taken by a Developer to correct an major error. Like a Raid boss dropping every BIS item every time it does. Or (more typically) an exploit that ruins the economy or trivializes content.

But in the context of Nemesis and Knive's exchange.. it's just lost progress. Like the game didn't "save" the most recent thing the player did.

Complistic

Hopefully LA really is done for, but I doubt it is. I'd love a more optimized city to hang out in. My framerate is always half of what it normally is in LA.

But in the context of Nemesis and Knive's exchange.. it's just lost progress. Like the game didn't "save" the most recent thing the player did.
I've wondered how delayed the auto-save function is, if any. Seconds or milliseconds? There was one time where I immediately changed characters after exiting the Royal Terrace. When I logged back to the first character a day later, I got the kicked-out animation, suggesting that the game last saved while I was still in the Royal Terrace. At least that's how I recall it.

I love how there is no symbol in-game telling you the game is auto-saving, in contrast to many modern single-player games. This being my first MMO and first PC game after a hiatus, I was actually surprised at the lack of any client-side save UI.

Hopefully LA really is done for, but I doubt it is. I'd love a more optimized city to hang out in. My framerate is always half of what it normally is in LA.
Black Citadel and The Grove are like that too. I wouldn't be surprised if those two cities also drop their framerates to half-normal if more players populated them.

Grayman

I've wondered how delayed the auto-save function is, if any. Seconds or milliseconds? There was one time where I immediately changed characters after exiting the Royal Terrace. When I logged back to the first character a day later, I got the kicked-out animation, suggesting that the game last saved while I was still in the Royal Terrace. At least that's how I recall it.

I love how there is no symbol in-game telling you the game is auto-saving, in contrast to many modern single-player games. This being my first MMO and first PC game after a hiatus, I was actually surprised at the lack of any client-side save UI.

Black Citadel and The Grove are like that too. I wouldn't be surprised if those two cities also drop their framerates to half-normal if more players populated them.

I don't think any mmo has ever had a save icon. Generally permanent things are written as soon as they happen.

Jira

This has been the case for all MMOs ever that I'm aware of. Really MMOs are reading and writing so constantly that if they were to have any indicator, it would be a permanent fixture on the UI.

jersoc

so i haven't kept up with next week's update. but damn i really hope LA is destroyed for good or slowly rebuilt over time. keep things fresh.

hamchan

Since I see there's going to be culling of the guild roster soon I think now is a good chance to join!

Only around level 30. Been playing it off and on the past few months to mainly check out the living world because I think that's a pretty awesome concept.

Username: Hamchan.1603

Proven

I thought it was weird because it almost never happens to me. I don't even think of it as "auto-saving" because non-MMOs tend to have specific and much further spaced apart points when that saving happens. So a rollback when it isn't from some economy related issue in the game points to me that the whatever happened last night was serious enough as a problem.

Lunar15

Tagline for this release should have been:

"Fight for your home, fight for your life, and by Ogden's hammer, fight for your savings!"

I think what some people are describing in this thread isn't really "rollback". Rollback is when the devs literally reload an earlier version of the entire player database. In UO, it wasn't uncommon for players to lose up to a day of progress if the rollback was serious, like if something broke, and that brokenness got "baked" into the database, each time it made a new backup. Rollbacks tended to be server-wide, so *everyone* lost progress if one was required.

Guild Wars 2 has, to my knowledge, not had such a rollback (or perhaps only one that I might think of, very early in launch, which lost players about an hour or two). We should be lucky. I'm glad the days of 'oh, sorry guys, you just lost the last 20 hours of play' MMOs seem to be over.

From the sounds of it, some people are experiencing a complete client desync, where the client is letting you go about and do your thing (since the client handles a lot of stuff), but it isn't actually communicating these actions to the server - either due to an issue between your client and the server, or, that server blade's connection to the main database server.

MMO databases are huge, sometimes terabyte things that need to be accessed non stop. So the workload is split between many servers, and those servers communicate with each other, and then a "master" backup server, where the database is dumped regularly as an iterative backup. So if something is going wrong, either at the datacenter of between you and the datacenter, it may feel like you've lost progress due to a rollback, but in reality, your progress never reached the server, or it did but the server's confirmation never reached you, in which case the server may have to negate what it just confirmed (for security / to prevent exploits).

I have found that if you're standing somewhere, quickly teleport/move somewhere else, then log out/swap characters instantly, it might not save the last position you were standing in - but only the position. Likely due to that 'confirmation' thing, where you change positions, that gets sent to the server, but the confirmation of your change never reaches that instance of your connection since you've swapped characters, so it negates the last change.

As for the issues of late, seems there was a major DDoS hitting all the big games again, GW2 included.

Ashodin

Thinking about posting a main thread for GW2 blowing up LA. I think it's a significant enough event (A major MMO destroying its main hub town) to make a thread over.

swnny

Thinking about posting a main thread for GW2 blowing up LA. I think it's a significant enough event (A major MMO destroying its main hub town) to make a thread over.

Good idea. A well made thread about this can bring back lots of gafers (and unregistered readers) back to the game, be it even only because of curiosity. After all we were promised a grand finale to the story arc, so the hype must go on. :D Hope is, Anet will deliver.

Good idea. A well made thread about this can bring back lots of gafers (and unregistered readers) back to the game, be it even only because of curiosity. After all we were promised a grand finale to the story arc, so the hype must go on. :D Hope is, Anet will deliver.

Guild Wars 2 [OT3] There goes the neighborhood.

Gettig close to OT4, might hit it close to anniversary again.

Just found out that there is a doctor that plays GW2 and he has bought every useable legendary from the TP for all his characters and he also has 2 of every profession. He is known as Dr legendary. (Heard about it from this Relics of Orr podcast that got posted in reddit) Supposedly the doctor has lots of money because of his overtime so he spends it on legendaries.

That is...insane.

Did they say whether or not the lair (and chests) from the Marionette event would still be around after the update? If not, I'll have to burn all of my keys soon.

Retro

I'd wait on a gaming side thread. The last time we did one for Back to School, that but of content didn't do very well and the thread didn't last.

Lunar15

"Hey people that haven't played GW2 in a while, here's the ending to that story you have no idea about and can't catch up on!"

I'd save the gaming side thread for the feature update in the summer.

Proven

"Hey people that haven't played GW2 in a while, here's the ending to that story you have no idea about and can't catch up on!"

I'd save the gaming side thread for the feature update in the summer.

If it adds any new zones you can put "Here's your expansion-like content" in the first post.

Jira

Do many people play WvW? Edge of the Mists seemed pretty busy but all the other maps seemed empty.

Before EOTM, yes. EOTM is not only a new map which many people wanted, it's far better designed with more interesting mechanics and terrain all around along with no queues. Essentially ANet has killed WvW until they fix the old maps cause no one wants to play a map they've been in for over a year straight and an inferior map at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom