• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remfin

Personally, the talking torsos and the watercolor backgrounds gave the game its own personality to me when I was starting out. I honestly don't think I would have stuck with it long enough if it weren't for them.

xeris

Personally, the talking torsos and the watercolor backgrounds gave the game its own personality to me when I was starting out. I honestly don't think I would have stuck with it long enough if it weren't for them.

I sorta like them in certain circumstances, but they got tiresome being the ONLY real type of cutscene for a long time after launch. This was especially true in some of the personal story. I'd prefer that they kept them around for some types of one-on-one conversations and such but move to the new model for everything else.

oktarb

[Rift Artifacts]
4. I dunno what those are, elaborate?

Basically as you wander the world there are these hidden shiny objects. Some are right along paths and others are hidden up in mountain crevices. They randomly spawn around. As you collect them they go into a UI and there are a ton of sets. Collect a set and get a reward. Originally this was just simple fun as you traveled around "Oooo Shiny!"

Recently they build on it and actually add a new crafting skill Dreamweaver. You can create items for your player home and gear look addons. Like add a glow to your shoulders.

Looks like yet another large-scale DDoS attack is happening. Not sure if Guild Wars 2 is the target, but it is affected. They might be going after the backbone/host of GW2, which is shared with other games like League of Legends.

Complistic

Played through the living story instances. All right, I like where this is heading. I think they probably learned a lot about how to get here over the last year, but I"m really looking forward to what's in store.

I've been playing two upcoming big games in a genre relevant to the genre of the game this thread is about. While both seem well made and have a lot of effort put into them, both are... super-bleh. One more than the other, and one has more technical issues than it has any right to have (even in beta), while the other is really just trying to pull wool over everyone's eyes. The one aiming for the 'hardcore' is going to really upset them, since it's rather... casual. To the degree where you'd think it's a mobile game.

Pity. I want more, better games in the genre. GW2 isn't great, but that it's still the *best* of the new-gen? That's kind of sad.

I've been playing two upcoming big games in a genre relevant to the genre of the game this thread is about. While both seem well made and have a lot of effort put into them, both are... super-bleh. One more than the other, and one has more technical issues than it has any right to have (even in beta), while the other is really just trying to pull wool over everyone's eyes. The one aiming for the 'hardcore' is going to really upset them, since it's rather... casual. To the degree where you'd think it's a mobile game.

Pity. I want more, better games in the genre. GW2 isn't great, but that it's still the *best* of the new-gen? That's kind of sad.

Which games are you talking about?

Jira

Not really. I mean all three game started dev in 2007 when WoW was still climbing to 12 mil subs and only ANet was smart enough to make a different take on the genre while Carbine and Zenimax went with what they thought would get them a piece of the WoW pie. Little did they know that by the time they'd release their game, no one would be looking to play that type of game anymore. As I've said since GW2 has come out, EQN is the only MMO worth looking at for the next 2 years. GW2 will be my themepark and EQN my sandbox. I won't even bother looking at anything else past that point.

Also, I too have played both of the NDA games you're talking about and one is a lot better than the other, but even so it's just very blah as you said. It has a lot to do, but the avenue of leveling is SOOOOOO old and vanilla at this point that it brings everything else down with it. Can't be bothered with traditional questing anymore, just ruins an MMO for me so quickly. Shame too considering this one game has fun combat, tons of stuff you can do all over, and some good systems but duuuuuuuuuude A to B questing is SO bad.

Really glad they added Edge of the Mists. I'm having a lot of fun, without the pressure of Borderlands, or the queues of EB, and less of the more jerkface commanders who call everyone Weekend Casuals even though all they do is run in a big bagtrain circle.

Xn90FPp.jpg

BZCAkDC.jpg

eE5DoYK.jpg

nJL1JHD.jpg

Doesn't hurt that it's such a pretty area, with a big variety of themes.

Now that the ESO beta NDA is lifted: paaass. Super-paaaaaaaaaaaaaass.

Even though it has hunky lizard men, and that would usually be enough for me, I just cannot abide by a sub anymore, especially not when the gameplay is so... bleh. Not terribly scientific a description, I know. They do a bang-up job making a standard MMO look like Skyrim, they have all the trimmings, buttons, icons, graphics, and little touches - it'll be sure to fool the less savvy Skyrim players quite easily. But it remains a stock standard MMO in Skyrim drag, no matter how much they dress it up, they can't change what's under the hood.*

*Meant to be an analogy, and not commentary on gender politics.

I'm sure a lot of people are going to enjoy it immensely, especially if it's their first MMO. But I just can't go back to that.

Meanwhile, in the "other" MMO...

LFG TANK
LFG HEALER
LFG DPS NEED HEALER

nope.gif
donotwant.gif

Love Hurt rant;

During the GW2 beta, I met my now-ex, and we have been playing together since we broke up. Now we are not on speaking terms, and it's weird seeing her in the same guild playing as the same time as me.:/ feels sad mannnnnnn

I think I am ready to join you guys. If I transfer to SBI, who do I whisper to for an invite?

Love Hurt rant;

During the GW2 beta, I met my now-ex, and we have been playing together since we broke up. Now we are not on speaking terms, and it's weird seeing her in the same guild playing as the same time as me.:/ feels sad mannnnnnn

I think I am ready to join you guys. If I transfer to SBI, who do I whisper to for an invite?

Check the first post. Post account name here or PM me I'll add you.

Retro

They do a bang-up job making a standard MMO look like Skyrim, they have all the trimmings, buttons, icons, graphics, and little touches - it'll be sure to fool the less savvy Skyrim players quite easily.

Why do I feel like their marketing strategy all along was to see if they could get all the people who drove the Skyrim sales numbers to pay for a sub? Like somebody at Bethesda said "Man, imagine if those 20 million people were paying $15 a month too!" while he rubbed his hands together menacingly.

Meanwhile, in the "other" MMO...

LFG TANK
LFG HEALER
LFG DPS NEED HEALER

nope.gif
donotwant.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the days of the trinity are all but over. Even if there's still a segment of the MMO community that wants them, they already have Trinity-based games and though they talk about leaving them all the time, the majority of them will never truly abandon those games.

That doesn't stop them from demanding all other MMOs be variations on their current one, however, and the problem has been that developers (almost certainly by way of non-gamer suits and marketing departments) make the mistake of thinking those folks represent a target audience. They absolutely do not; they're already 'spoken for' and though most say they're ready to jump ship and may even buy new games, few actually will, and fewer will stay. Accepting this is/was essential to getting all conversations about the genre to stop being framed in relation to World of Warcraft.

I'm glad Guild Wars 2 has managed to start changing the narrative and we're seeing more and more review/previews where MMOs don't get a free pass for being 'tried and true' anymore. "Tried and true" has been replaced with terms like "dated" and "archaic". It helps that every time somebody tries to make the "GW2 is fail" argument, the game posts higher sales numbers, breaks a new record or unexpectedly shifts the conversation in new directions.

I hope Tuesday is another example of this, and there are stronger repercussions to the update than just moving where people congregate. If the 'problem' is that everyone hangs out in Lion's Arch, blowing it up is a good first step but I hope there's more to it than just replacing it with "Lion's Arch 2" at Vigil HQ. I hope this is part of a larger plan to get people into the other capitol cities. In the same way that people bemoaned the "too hard, raid-like atmosphere" of the Tower of Nightmares until somebody pointed out how brilliantly it split and reformed players into informal groups, I hope nuking LA is the superficial face of another ArenaNet experiment to change the way people play the game.

Asd202

You are very bad at PvE.

Not really. If your definition of good combat is mass zerg dps with absolutly no teamwork with a lot of one-shooting mechanics than good for you.
The problem is GW2 combat is made with 1vs1 in mind which is bad for MMO which is supposed to be more team based. It good for solo gameplay ie. leveling but falls on it's face at end game where combat is just a big clusterfuck. Trinity provides much better flow of combat while GW2 is rather stale.
Well GW2 is a casual MMO so that's to be expected.

Remfin

The biggest problems with the Trinity were:
  1. Unique, irreplaceable skills (CH)
  2. Separate characters with their own leveling and gear
If you tackled those issues with exp tricks (redirection of exp gain/improving subsequent characters greatly/whatever), instant class switching, and some minimal kind of gear universality you could probably manage the best of both worlds. Some players can stick with just what they know, some can moonlight, and some can become pros at all of them, but without the ridiculous time investments before you even know if you WANT to be a pro at <X>.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom