• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the area that was once Sanctum Cay in GW1 the Tengu starting city in GW2? Or is just an area the Tengu hold but aren't doing anything with it? If it's just an area that the Tengu aren't using, it could be the new central hub with Lions Arch being a level 35-45 explorable area.

Jira

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/lore/lore/Another-lesbian-relationship/3630529

What Regina means is that for players who are currently going through their Personal Story, the LW timeline will seem to be happening at the same time. Technically, they happen at different times in Tyrian history. Personal Story predates the current Living World season by approximately one year.

So when you’re playing your Personal Story and are in an instance with Rytlock, etc. the assumption is that this is happening “in the past” whereas LW events are happening now.

Our hope is to provide better distinction of these timelines within the game, but that would come with the release of a planned feature that we’re not ready to discuss in depth just yet.

1798821_10152045580929209_1351857432_n.jpg

Yes Evon is going to take centre stage.

From Facebook

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You my friend qualify for the immigration fund, if you are interested in switch over to SBI. Lots of EU players have done so and I do not think they complain about lag...ever really.

EDIT:
Post here: http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/stormbluff-isle-immigration-fund.312/page-2#post-7475

If you are interested.

My bad...looks like you already posted in there. Did we just end up skipping you?
Sorry if so Lashley, you were on there, but I hadn't heard from you after sending an ingame mail long long ago. If you want we can pool the funds, probably pretty quick! Didn't know you were still playing man.

The culling is coming soon.

Remfin

Yes Evon is going to take centre stage.

From Facebook
Future story spoilers:

Ellen Kiel won the election...so she will sit around impotently whining about the Captain's Council. PS Scarlet would have been shoe-horned into either Fractal.

Gnashblade will actually do something, because that's how they wrote it a long time ago.

Gnashblade will die.

In the vacuum of power, the Black Lion Trade Company will have a difficult time choosing a new leader, leading to an election...

..between Merchant-o-tron and Marcello DiGiacomo!

Win or lose, Merchant-o-tron becomes Hawk-o-tron and will pop up, Clippy-style, to sell you Black Lion shit:

"I—see—you—have—died. Would—you—care—to—buy—a—Revive—Orb?"

Grayman

Thinking about posting a main thread for GW2 blowing up LA. I think it's a significant enough event (A major MMO destroying its main hub town) to make a thread over.

In simpsons did it tone I'll say AC did it ;)

Get the thread ready and wait for when the update actually pops so there is more content to it then hey guild wars 2 is blowing up LA, buy it to see what happens.

regarding personal story, get the blips off the UI unless someone wants to track it.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-spring-2014-tournament/?utm_source=client

WvW Spring 2014 Tournament
by Devon Carver on February 12, 2014

On October 18, 2013, we began the inaugural season of World vs. World. Over the seven weeks of the season, some of the fiercest battles WvW has ever seen erupted across the Mists, and victors were crowned in glory. In the months since, we have seen the introduction of a brand-new, permanently accessible field of battle, the Edge of the Mists, and with it the improvement of the queue. As part of the continuing effort to provide exciting rewards and combat to WvW, we are happy to announce the WvW Spring 2014 Tournament, which starts on March 28 and runs through May 16.
What Happened to Seasons?

One of the major changes we’ve made to the format of the WvW tournament was to move it from a concept similar to a sporting league to one more like a tournament. We are introducing a new, Swiss-style system of matching up the worlds within a league. This means that over the course of seven weeks, the matchups will be much more competitive as the winners fight each other for first place while other worlds with similar records battle it out. As such, we’ve decided to go with a new name for the contest, one that better reflects the nature of the event.
Ogre-1920x1080
What Makes This Tournament Different?

In addition to the new matchup structure, there are some other significant changes to the tournament from Season 1.
To begin with, we are introducing a completely new type of reward for participation in the tournament. All players who complete the meta achievement will receive a set number of tournament tickets based on world placement which can be exchanged at a vendor once the tournament has completed for a variety of items. These include two brand-new sets of weapon skins that can’t be found anywhere else in the game, obsidian shards, dragonite ore, ascended accessories, and more. We felt that the rewards from Season 1 just didn’t match players’ expectations for a variety of reasons, and we wanted to remedy that in as many ways as possible. We’ll have more specific information in the future about the rewards, including the costs of the items and the number of tickets each world will receive.
The achievements for the tournament have been toned down to be more achievable for more players. The values are more in line with what we expect most players to be able to accomplish over the course of the seven-week tournament. They have also been designed with the expectation that a player who spends the whole tournament in the Edge of the Mists can achieve the meta. Every single achievement has an associated item reward as well as achievement points.
Finally, we have also made some changes to the way we determine which world you belong to for your tournament rewards. Instead of being associated with the first world you log in on during the tournament we are tracking various activities in WvW to more closely align your rewards with the world you played on. We’ve also added an NPC to all the WvW maps who can tell you which world you are currently associated with.
Jungle-Keep-1820x1080
We’ll See You in the Mists!

With a more competitive Swiss-style tournament structure, more attainable goals, better rewards, queue improvements, and the option to fight in the Edge of the Mists even when other maps are full, the Spring 2014 Tournament is the next step in the evolution of WvW! There are going to be epic battles across the Mists and the ultimate victors won’t be decided until the very end. There are going to be new rewards to fight for, new achievements to achieve, and never-ending battles in the Mists. Onward to victory!

That sounds a lot more enticing tbh. It will probably result in my playing WvW a lot more. With all of the changes and the bits of drama, I became burnt out on it after awhile.

Retro

Lol@ "evolution of wvw". Sound like more of the season 1 nonsense which was awful for core wvw players.

• Shorter Season.
  • Better matching (no one plays against each other twice, unless they're playing a variant of the Swiss-style rules)
  • Better rewards.
  • Less grindy achievements.
Try again. Also, Lol@ "Core wvw players", as if you can lump them all into one group with the same or even similar wants and goals.

kiriin

• Shorter Season.
  • Better matching (no one plays against each other twice, unless they're playing a variant of the Swiss-style rules)
  • Better rewards.
  • Less grindy achievements.
Try again. Also, Lol@ "Core wvw players", as if you can lump them all into one group with the same or even similar wants and goals.

Nope, the concept is still the same. Seasons did absolutely nothing for wvw community. The things you listed are pretty irrelevant, it isn't what wvw players are looking for. And yeah you can lump the core community into two groups - the ones who play for the ppt meta game and the people that wants fights/roam/gvg. It that simple so Im not going "try again".

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
NCsoft Q4 report some points

• Lineage grew significantly in Korea while GW2 remained solid in US/EU.
  • Royalty revenues surged with Blade and Soul China kicking in.
  • GW2 was strong on the back of end of year sales promotions.
  • Contribution from Korea increased with Lineage reaching a new all time high
  • Guild Wars 2 became the 2nd biggest revenue sources along with well settled in-game item sales model
  • Guild Wars 2 earned 33.6 Billion Won = 31.58 Million USD up from Q3s 22.94 Million USD and exceeding sales expectations for Q4
  • Next step for GW2 China will be announced in the near future
  • Wildstar is expected to launch some time in Mid 2014

Retro

Nope, the concept is still the same. Seasons did absolutely nothing for wvw community. The things you listed are pretty irrelevant, it isn't what wvw players are looking for. And yeah you can lump the core community into two groups - the ones who play for the ppt meta game and the people that wants fights/roam/gvg. It that simple so Im not going "try again".

The things listed are the problems people had with the previous season; it went on too long, the matchups were poor, the rewards were garbage and the achievements. Whether you think the WvW community liked or disliked the season (and I don't think you, or anyone else is qualified to speak for that group as a whole), those are the problems that people had with the first season and they're working on fixing them.

The try again" was in reference to your overgeneralized drive-by blurb of a post. And since you've gone from one group of "core wvw players" to putting the "core community into two groups", I'd say that's at least an improvement.

docbon

As long as the week long, PPT during off-hours meta remains, I have zero motivation to join the regular WvWvW maps. It's been garbage for eons, and these proposed changes do nothing to help. I don't give a shit about rewards and achievements if the gameplay itself isn't appealing to me. The continued existence of annoying quirks like mass waypointing into keeps while under siege, along with the general staleness of the maps, don't help either.

I'll be stacking my Birthday Booster and WvW XP Booster during Season Two. Also, any word on the Mini-WvW XP Boosters becoming account bound too? I would love to stack that on top of the other two also.

Retro

• Guild Wars 2 became the 2nd biggest revenue sources along with well settled in-game item sales model
  • Guild Wars 2 earned 33.6 Billion Won = 31.58 Million USD up from Q3s 22.94 Million USD and exceeding sales expectations for Q4

Game is dead, cancel your subs.

Also, fucking Lineage. Jesus Christ.

As long as the week long, PPT during off-hours meta remains, I have zero motivation to join the regular WvWvW maps. It's been garbage for eons, and these proposed changes do nothing to help. I don't give a shit about rewards and achievements if the gameplay itself isn't appealing to me.

But but unique weapons?

Also you can get these rewards just by playing EOTM, but the amount of tokens that you get depends on the rank at the end of tournament.

I don't think the goal was to give WvWers something to do in Season One, but to get people who never went in there to try it out. The latter was obviously a success, given the long ass queues.

kiriin

The things listed are the problems people had with the previous season; it went on too long, the matchups were poor, the rewards were garbage and the achievements. Whether you think the WvW community liked or disliked the season (and I don't think you, or anyone else is qualified to speak for that group as a whole), those are the problems that people had with the first season and they're working on fixing them.

The try again" was in reference to your overgeneralized drive-by blurb of a post. And since you've gone from one group of "core wvw players" to putting the "core community into two groups", I'd say that's at least an improvement.

As I said the whole concept of season brings absolutely nothing to wvw. It doesn't matter or not whether it been improve or not.

Also it might be a generalization but that literally all wvw offer for people who plays it oppose to pve. What else is there to say? Unless you want actually add something to that?

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
One final point to add
  • No decision has been made for GW2 expansion for now the focus is provide the LW updates and bring GW2 to China they will update when they have more visibility on the issue of an expansion

Shiokazu

• Lineage grew significantly in Korea while GW2 remained solid in US/EU.
  • Royalty revenues surged with Blade and Soul China kicking in.
  • Contribution from Korea increased with Lineage reaching a new all time high
  • Next step for GW2 China will be announced in the near future
  • Wildstar is expected to launch some time in Mid 2014

NCsoft @ MMO market

3DS-It-Prints-Money.gif

Retro

As I said the whole concept of season brings absolutely nothing to wvw. It doesn't matter or not whether it been improve or not.

As has been mentioned above, it brings more players in and gives existing WvW players a special competitive event with its own unique rewards. Whether you think the WvW community as a whole wants it or not, that's not 'absolutely nothing'.

What else is there to say?

Only that there's more to say on the matter than "LOL, sweeping generalization."

They should pull the free expansion model through the living story. That would be awesome.

That was always the plan; the Living Story is used to introduce things that are normally held back for Expansions. And because it's delivered in steady bites instead of all at once in a gluttonous orgy of content, they get more bang for their buck.

kiriin

As has been mentioned above, it brings more players in and gives existing WvW players a special competitive event with its own unique rewards.

Um it doesn't. The influx of players that come to wvw are temporary people from pve trying to get rewards. The only effect is a massive shift in population prior to leagues which ends up in a worst state afterward. It doesn't contribute anything to address the inherent problem of the whole meta game in wvw. My snarky comment was just a slight at the frustration I have with wvw for over a year. That all, so I'll drop it.

Shiokazu

what exactly the WvW people want? i only see the WvW people saying that Anet fails and they dont give what the WvW community want. But i actually dont know what they want.

so tell me, what do the WvW people want to change, what not to change, and what kind of fresh stuff they would want?

Proven

From the PPT group, they basically want WvW to be more competitive. Matches are currently decided more by recruiting people before a game begins than during the game, aka the "coverage war", among other issues. From the roaming group, they basically want open world PvP without keeps, siege, objectives, or anything else they can see as a gimmick outside of fighting other people.

Some of this post is hyperbole, but you should get the idea.

Remfin

From the PPT group, they basically want WvW to be more competitive. Matches are currently decided more by recruiting people before a game begins than during the game, aka the "coverage war", among other issues. From the roaming group, they basically want open world PvP without keeps, siege, objectives, or anything else they can see as a gimmick outside of fighting other people.

Some of this post is hyperbole, but you should get the idea.
So basically, they want 4 hour matches.

Boy, I wish ANet would put something like that in the game!

Proven

So basically, they want 4 hour matches.

Boy, I wish ANet would put something like that in the game!

Edge of the Mists really isn't competitive though. It can be, which is fun, but it doesn't have the same type of gravity that server vs. server warfare could have.

I am looking forward to the WvW Spring Tournament because I enjoyed my time during the season play.

Got to play with lot's of people from SBI and it was great feeling being part of a huge team and rooting for your server. Might have gotten a bit upset during one particular match but whateves.

Looking forward to seeing how the queue system is going to help distribute people around the different maps.

Ceres

Banned
I don't think I've even been back in WvW since s1 except to use an easy bank/crafting spot without going to LA. And honestly, my participation in WvW dropped immensely during the season. I basically ended up doing enough to get the chest which was a waste of time anyway. PPT focused playing and karma trains are only "exciting" for so long.

Also haven't bothered with EotM yet.

oktarb

Don't get me wrong I love GW2 but I suffer from MMO-A.D.D. Here's a list I'd love ArenaNet to steal from other MMOs:

1. Dimension/Player Housing from Rift
2. Souls or talent sets from Rift
3. Decision in my Personal Story that have strong impact on the feel of the missions from SWTOR
4. Artifacts from Rift
5. Costume sets from Rift.
6. Difficult puzzles and riddles from Secret World
7. Pet Fighting from WoW

Don't get me wrong I love GW2 but I suffer from MMO-A.D.D. Here's a list I'd love ArenaNet to steal from other MMOs:

3. Decision in my Personal Story that have strong impact on the feel of the missions from SWTOR
4. Artifacts from Rift
7. Pet Fighting from WoW

That's been a planned feature since before launch but it's taken a backseat in terms of priority as Anet has focused on creating more engaging content at the request of the players (ie. Living Story and WvW adjustments). GW2's pet stuff is called Polymock Arena and you can see the general area where it's going to take place when you look at the map of Rara Sum. I heard they had a pet fighting system in GW1 as well but no clue if that's accurate or not.

That's been a planned feature since before launch but it's taken a backseat in terms of priority as Anet has focused on creating more engaging content at the request of the players (ie. Living Story and WvW adjustments). GW2's pet stuff is called Polymock Arena and you can see the general area where it's going to take place when you look at the map of Rara Sum. I heard they had a pet fighting system in GW1 as well but no clue if that's accurate or not.
Sort of, but it was only player vs npc. Still called polymock arena though.

Retro

4. Artifacts from Rift
7. Pet Fighting from WoW

1. They wanted Player Housing in shortly after launch, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened. Maybe the Living Story was considered more important and it was shelved or the housing team is just small and quietly working.
2. I have a feeling a Build Templates are coming, it's been a highly demanded feature for a while now.
3. There's a few moments of decision in the personal story, but by and large they seem to be moving towards the Living Story instead. Probably because it's cheaper than recording the same dialogue lines 10 times (each race / gender pair).
4. I dunno what those are, elaborate?
5. They have multiple costumes, they're just town clothes.
6. Been on any Guild Missions lately?
7. See Jest's post above. People (coughKoscough) bitched there were too many activities, so now they don't make so many.

Retro

Matthew Oswald said:
We are at the beginning stages of overhauling our cinematic tools. It’s still very early on, so you wont see anything big for quite some time…In the meantime, you should see a gradual improvement in the quality of cut-scenes as the cinematic and writing team strengthen our collaboration efforts.

I should add that custom animations take up a substantial amount of dev resources that aren’t dedicated to cinematics.

The GW1 cinematics team was created for machinama and traditional 3D animation…whereas the GW2 team was built around animating concept art (motion graphics work)

The cinematics that you see in the personal story where 2 characters talk to each other on a stage-like environment have been…retired.

Cinematics/cut-scenes are an important part of our game. We are constantly striving to make them better and push the limits of our current tools in the process. (source)

No more talking torsos.

Zeroth

I think player housing would only be relevat if they made them in the real world. For example, you would actually have a real house in a real town instead of an instance. I think it adds more dynamics, though you have the problem of limited space for (nearly) unlimited demand.

There's no way there would be enough space. If they implement homes it will definitely be located within our current "home instances." Best case scenario would be if they at least made it so that there a multiple entrances per race rather than the same one for everyone. That and allow people to be invited to your home instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom