• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Don't count on any MMO release date until it's already passed. Especially one who's beta is in such rough shape as Wildstar (the NDA lifted and "Underwhelming" seems to be the best description).

Let me put it this way, I'd be shocked if it was delayed at this point.

Hmmm, can you stand still in any asura/sylvari zone (no big ass events nearby that could influence fps) and take a screenshot of the graphic options tab where your fps is?

I have to go sleep now (4am here) but if you could show me that pic, I could go there tomorrow and recreate the same scenario (standing still in the same place as you with the same graphical options) and see if you really get more fps than me.

It's been a while since I've turned off 30fps limiter (it helps during large events I found, so I tend to forget it on), but here you go. It does seem to be more over the place than I remember, bouncing between 40 and 60 in Caledon (though I never spent much time in Caledon, mostly Plains of Ashford and surrounding areas). Derp, forgot to leave it on the graphics pane itself, but everything is is on and maxed/ultra, except post-processing which is off all the way since it's fuuuuuugly.

cTAJS4W.jpg

Edit: Nevermind here's one with the graphics settings visible. Got better framerate too all of a sudden, no idea why.

Perhaps the trick is I have character limit max, but model quality medium (8gb ram is no good for maxing that).

Nope. Full system

i5 4670k
gtx 770
8gb ram
1x SSD 256GB
650W Seasonic X-650

I do have to add I haven't overclocked the CPU at all.
CPU instructions per clock/speed is the most important component for this game. Overclocking will show better results than upgrading to a monster GPU. Do what you can to get to 4-4.2 GHz on that Haswell; you'll definitely notice a difference and hopefully less stuttering to boot.

I have an Ivy i5 @ 4.6 and I've noticed frametime differences at 4, 4.2, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, and even 4.8 GHz. Unfortunately the last two were not stable enough so I've settled with 4.6 (normal Lion's Arch was so smooth at 4.8).
I use Nvidia's driver Vsync.
Perhaps the trick is I have character limit max, but model quality medium (8gb ram is no good for maxing that).
Why wouldn't 8gb RAM not be enough for this game? I've never heard of increasing RAM above 8GB to get better framerates in GW2.

Why wouldn't 8gb RAM not be enough for this game? I've never heard of increasing RAM to get better framerates in GW2.

This is just speculation, but having 150 players on screen, each with unique armour and customizations, is kind of a lot to keep in memory at once. Yeah, it's a huge CPU hit too, but 150 x 5 armour parts x colour customization, etc, etc, etc.

If I keep model quality to medium my framerates stay okay, if I max it, my ram usage maxes out (at 8gb), and it has to start disk accessing a hell of a lot more, more data is sent from the server...

In a WvW zerg, that means my framerate goes from 30 to zero *before* the enemy blob even appears on my screen. 1fps after that for the rest of the fight. I'm not sure if more RAM would help, but it wouldn't hurt in that specific case.

This is just speculation, but having 150 players on screen, each with unique armour and customizations, is kind of a lot to keep in memory at once. Yeah, it's a huge CPU hit too, but 150 x 5 armour parts x colour customization, etc, etc, etc.

If I keep model quality to medium my framerates stay okay, if I max it, my ram usage maxes out (at 8gb), and it has to start disk accessing a hell of a lot more, more data is sent from the server...

In a WvW zerg, that means my framerate goes from 30 to zero *before* the enemy blob even appears on my screen. 1fps after that for the rest of the fight. I'm not sure if more RAM would help, but it wouldn't hurt in that specific case.
I've been able to maintain 15-20fps during zerg versus zerg, with occasional 9 fps dips, while I keep model quality high (I do however have enemy colors checked so that probably eases RAM usage). Given that GW2 is a 32bit program, I don't think it even has the ability to use more than 4GB of RAM at any given time. I remember half-jokingly calling out Colin in gchat to give us a 64bit version of the game and he responded with a Back to the Future quote ("Too many jigawatts!" or something similar).

Edit: This Reddit thread specifically asks about improving WvW performance from the hardware side and the overwhelming concensus is "processor, processor, processor." Recommending 16GB of RAM isn't even mentioned once, AFAIK. 8GB is the sweet spot since GW2 can max out its physical 4GB allocation, with the other 4GB for OS overhead.

Fair enough. Considering the Win 7 OS overhead when it's doing nothing is almost 4GB just by itself (hovers around 3GB), having Steam open in the background, then GW2... max model quality just eats the rest up for me. Forgot it was a 32bit app and can't even access more than 4. Then again, computers are voodoo. Been working with them since the 80s, and they still don't ever work how they should on paper, so I gave up a long time ago. Once at a PC at the office that *refused* to work unless we shook a can full of coins near it each morning. I wish I was joking.

All I know is, character model quality in large fights is one of the biggest contributor to framerate tanking. Might be due to my super slow-ass HDD though.

EDIT: You know what, I take it back. For a test, I shunted model quality to max, and ran around EB with the zerg. Even when hitting another zerg, it never went below 15fps. This is way better than it used to be, did they improve something after WvW Season 1? Because it was never this good.

x4HOK8N.jpg

All I know is, character model quality in large fights is one of the biggest contributor to framerate tanking. Might be due to my super slow-ass HDD though.

My friend has a beast of a PC and his frames go to shit in Large fights, your HDD ain't the problem, just the game man..

Retro

It's MMOs in general. Any time a shitload of unique player models (composed of multiple armor models, weapons, etc.) + environment are loaded in, something has to give. It's the nature of the beast.

Complistic

EDIT: You know what, I take it back. For a test, I shunted model quality to max, and ran around EB with the zerg. Even when hitting another zerg, it never went below 15fps. This is way better than it used to be, did they improve something after WvW Season 1? Because it was never this good.

They did. I noticed better frame rate amongst zergs and by myself within the last couple months.

My friend has a beast of a PC and his frames go to shit in Large fights, your HDD ain't the problem, just the game man..

There's a difference though between my framerate tanking in large fights due to sheer number of effects and such, and the kind of unique pre-fight tank in WvW due to a huge blob of players I can't even see yet. Then you have that bizarre time warp thing where what you're seeing is actually from five seconds ago, the client just hasn't had time to digest the sheer volume of data it's being sent. Usually results in a disconnect too, if unlucky.

There's no denying that GW2 is rather ambitious when it comes to how much and of what it tries to forcefeed the client, and the client isn't up to the task half the time anyway. But when it all works and the framerate holds stable, man is it worth it.

Hmm gonna switch to Summon Power Suit for a while to keep the Titanfall goodness running through my veins.

You know, I've been really underwhelmed by what I've seen of that game.. until I saw DJwheat playing it on Twitch the other night. His use of the parkour elements in CTF was the first time the gameplay looked fun and exciting to me.

Whats a summon power suit?

There's two versions of it. One's an Elite skill and one's an Asura racial I think?

Whats a summon power suit?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summon_Power_Suit

You know, I've been really underwhelmed by what I've seen of that game.. until I saw DJwheat playing it on Twitch the other night. His use of the parkour elements in CTF was the first time the gameplay looked fun and exciting to me.

It's really good, but not worth $60. It's $30 at most, in my opinion. I'm sure it'll start hitting serious sales in a few months.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Honestly I knew barely anything about it. Had a pretty blind experience going in with this one. The core controls alone are monumental, and Titans are ridiculously cool both to play and to fight. Everything else is almost gravy to me.
There's two versions of it. One's an Elite skill and one's an Asura racial I think?
They're all Asura Elite Racial skills. But the Power Suit is the one you actually climb in.
It's really good, but not worth $60. It's $30 at most, in my opinion. I'm sure it'll start hitting serious sales in a few months.
Right well, I pretennid to be mexican with all due respect to Origin, works out to roughly $36 for the base game or ~$46 for the one with the season pass (I went for it). I agree that I'd never have paid $60 for it, but it's damn good fun. Right up my alley.

Proven

Other than the beta you haven't seen me mention Titanfall in this thread, but I could make mega posts about the fun and tightly designed systems the game includes. Really, the part I dislike about the game is that all the good stuff is on top of a Call of Duty foundation, which is also why it quickly got that terrible and disingenuous "CoD with Mechs" nickname.

Other than the beta you haven't seen me mention Titanfall in this thread, but I could make mega posts about the fun and tightly designed systems the game includes. Really, the part I dislike about the game is that all the good stuff is on top of a Call of Duty foundation, which is also why it quickly got that terrible and disingenuous "CoD with Mechs" nickname.

Can't wait for the "No scope 360" Titan kill videos!

Ugh fps multiplayers are not games I enjoy at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I could never get into the CoD games at all and so I don't really know what corresponds to the foundation and what doesn't, but the games really don't feel similar to me at all. I guess I'm just lucky in that regard. I assume a lot of it is the leveling and unlocking stuff as a carrot, but as I understand it in CoD you were actually progressing to objectively better stuff and discarding old guns, and it doesn't seem like that will be the case at all with the way stuff has been working so far.

Tonally, I expected the game to be way more like CoD or actually like Gears of War, but it's nowhere close. Far more toward the Halo side, which makes for a happy hawk.
Can't wait for the "No scope 360" Titan kill videos!

Ugh fps multiplayers are not games I enjoy at all.
It's really quite unlike any other FPS I've ever played. It's hard not to sound hyperbolic, but they essentially identified every aspect of the "tried and true formula" individually and said "okay now change that one" over and over again down the line.
Titanfall looks fun. That movement.
I hadn't really seen it so I didn't know exactly what to expect, but holy hell is it fun. I would never have expected that I'd recommend a competitive multiplayer shooter to Mirror's Edge fans but I am doing exactly that in this sentence.

But I can stop gushing annoyingly about it about it now <3

It's really quite unlike any other FPS I've ever played. It's hard not to sound hyperbolic, but they essentially identified every aspect of the "tried and true formula" individually and said "okay now change that one" over and over again down the line.

Are you telling me, Respawn did to FPS via TitanFall what ArenaNet did to MMOs via GW2?

You playing on PC with a controller?

Retro

In my day, we played Goldeneye 64. And we all had to be in the same room, and play on the same screen. And when we needed an extra controller, we had to walk to a friends' house to borrow one, in the snow, uphill both ways!

To be honest, I liked Halo right up until they started to copy CoD (Reach and 4). It always felt 'chunky', like you could take a few rounds (well, unless it was a sniper rifle or rockets) and still be able to turn and engage your enemy and maybe even win if you were better. Their weapon sandbox slowly fell apart (again, CoD's influence lead to the DMR).

I'm only halfway joking about Goldeneye though, it really was the first 'real' console FPS and an absolute blast to play. Perfect Dark too, I'm still always shocked when shooters come out with dull weapon sandboxes and no bots (yes, I know Titanfall has them). I also prefer shooters with a controller, and with absolute zero desire to get a new console that means I'd be on the PC, trying to win against people using the superior KB/M setup.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are you telling me, Respawn did to FPS via TitanFall genera what ArenaNet did to MMOs via GW2?
In all honesty, that's not that bad an analogy. It's not a complete abandonment of all the tropes that got the genre to where is now, but almost every individual element has been tweaked for the better and there are a lot of interesting new ideas to keep me coming back. It's also more accessible for people who aren't genre-savvy.
You playing on PC with a controller?
Actually....... maybe :X Don't tell anybody. I played about 50-50% M+K/gamepad last night, and for me there's not an obvious winner. At the least a pad didn't feel like a liability. The free running feels amazing with a 360 pad, and a lot of the time thinking about headshot precision isn't even in my top 3 concerns during a match. I'm no sniper, though.

edit: my pedigree:
Doom, Quake, Unreal, Goldeneye at friends' houses (no 64 :'(), lots and LOTS of Quake 3 Arena, Halo, BF1942, UT2004, LOTS and lots of Halo 2. A bit of Bad Company 2. The CoD/Modern Warfare wave just totally passed me by, I've played maybe 2 hours of all the games in that lineage combined.

Lunar15

Titanfall is pretty fantastic, but if you're turned off by CoD "lone-wolf" K/D ratio focused action over stuff that's more class based and team-strategic, then there's nothing for you there.

If you're down with it though, this is a refinement of those properties with a pretty great twist. It kind of reminds me of classic Unreal Tournament, to be honest.

Proven

You can play effectively on PC with a controller, which is in part because of the low TTK Call of Duty foundation. The main change is that instead of the first person to see the other gets the win, the person caught off guard has more of an opportunity to duck and dodge out of the way to find a favorable position.

The CoD stuff is primarily

1. The majority of the Pilot guns and a few grenade types.
2. The pistol sidearms, but you can replace those with primary weapons dropped by enemies.
3. Low TTK.
4. Level Up system (which does increase your power way more horizontally than vertically, but there are still a few bits of vertical stuff in gun modifications).

From there you can see stuff from Quake/Unreal Tournament, from Halo, from Mirror's Edge (a guy comes in and shoots behind you, you sprint up a wall, triangle jump to the next wall, then one last jump to jump-kick him in the face while he was busy tracking you), from MOBAs/Hero Brawlers, and from who knows what else because I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of game history.

I'm going to forcibly stop this post now at this point.

Edit: If you want something more team-strategic, grab some GAFfers from the official thread and play CTF or Last Titan Standing. The gameplay then feels like it's ripped from Halo too.

Retro

Yeah, my big problems with CoD is the ultra-short lifespan (whoever shoots first wins) and the emphasis on leveling up. Halo added that shit in and it turned the series to hot garbage. I like the parkour stuff, even if the mechs feel like a gimmick more than anything (and yes, I know, someone will say that they're essential to the game, etc., I'm just saying, that's what it feels like).

The environment for shooters is usually so god damned toxic (remember, I used to play on X-Box Live) that I can't imagine ever wanting to subject myself to kids screaming in my ear, so maybe the focus on lone wolf-type stuff would be for the best.

My shooter history was Marathon (back when Bungie made Mac games <3), Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Halo, Halo 2, Halo3, and Reach. I didn't really have a gaming-quality PC until the mid 00's. Everything else was a few weeks to a month of mild interest (like TF2, which I played on Consoles)... I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the genre to begin with, certain not what it's become.

Jira

In all honesty, that's not that bad an analogy. It's not a complete abandonment of all the tropes that got the genre to where is now, but almost every individual element has been tweaked for the better and there are a lot of interesting new ideas to keep me coming back. It's also more accessible for people who aren't genre-savvy.

Actually....... maybe :X Don't tell anybody. I played about 50-50% M+K/gamepad last night, and for me there's not an obvious winner. At the least a pad didn't feel like a liability. The free running feels amazing with a 360 pad, and a lot of the time thinking about headshot precision isn't even in my top 3 concerns during a match. I'm no sniper, though.

edit: my pedigree:
Doom, Quake, Unreal, Goldeneye at friends' houses (no 64 :'(), lots and LOTS of Quake 3 Arena, Halo, BF1942, UT2004, LOTS and lots of Halo 2. A bit of Bad Company 2. The CoD/Modern Warfare wave just totally passed me by, I've played maybe 2 hours of all the games in that lineage combined.

We need to get you into some CS.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Titanfall is pretty fantastic, but if you're turned off by CoD "lone-wolf" K/D ratio focused action over stuff that's more class based and team-strategic, then there's nothing for you there.
Man, really? I've spent matches where the vast majority of my points came from, you know, not killing people, and I haven't even tried CTF yet. In Hardpoint and even Attrition (killing mob stockpiles), staying away from the biggest firefights allowed me to contribute more to the team win.

It's definitely not class-based like a TF2-style so I definitely see where you're coming from there. Everybody is just whatever they want to do.
If you're down with it though, this is a refinement of those properties with a pretty great twist. It kind of reminds me of classic Unreal Tournament, to be honest.
Oh, yeah, me too! Except with... a tiny bit of Tribes (forgot that above). And lots of Mirror's Edge. also giant robots.

The CoD stuff is primarily

1. The majority of the Pilot guns and a few grenade types.
2. The pistol sidearms, but you can replace those with primary weapons dropped by enemies.
3. Low TTK.
4. Level Up system (which does increase your power way more horizontally than vertically, but there are still a few bits of vertical stuff in gun modifications).
Gotcha, none of this stuff bothers me much
a guy comes in and shoots behind you, you sprint up a wall, triangle jump to the next wall, then one last jump to jump-kick him in the face while he was busy tracking you
yeeeeeep
Edit: If you want something more team-strategic, grab some GAFfers from the official thread and play CTF or Last Titan Standing. The gameplay then feels like it's ripped from Halo too.
Haven't even tried either yet...

Sorry for the derail friends! If somebody besides Kos is annoyed by it I'll shut it all down. Just haven't been excited by the genre in quite some years.

Ashodin

So uh, Chinese GW2 ain't doing too hot.

The publisher responsible has been doing some shady Pay2Win tactics behind ANet's back while proclaiming otherwise.

Proven

My competitive multiplayer shooter history is primarily Timesplitters 2, Metroid Prime Hunters (lol), Halo 3, Reach, and then over a thousand hours of Team Fortress 2 since it launched (much thanks to GAF). CoD and Battlefield always irked me so while I can watch friends playing I can't get into them in the same way I get into games with much longer average TTK. And I don't seem like Assault Rifles much either.

The publisher responsible has been doing some shady Pay2Win tactics behind ANet's back while proclaiming otherwise.

I should have linked the reddit thread from yesterday. You wouldn't believe. I'll go look for it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
edit: okay I did forget TFC, TF2 (love me some spy) and original CS.

what's this now?

Retro

Yeah, I saw that earlier. I'm not sure how accurate it is since I can't read the language, but I have a hard time believing KZ can just slip a bunch of pay-to-win stuff into the game without ArenaNet's approval. More likely, there are things they put into the game to test or there's a few people who don't like something and are trying to turn it into a scandal (exactly like what happened when those leaked images from the Chinese launch were posted here and it turned into a giant shitfest). A lot of the stuff being set behind barriers and unlocks is a surprise, but that's supposedly what the Asian market wants from their MMOs. None of it seemed game-breaking, though restricting access to stuff for so long (no WvW until you're almost 40) seemed a little bleh.

The post deletion and stuff though, that's terrible if true. I can see them possibly removing stuff if it violates Tieba's policies on language (angry people curse, obviously). Hope the marketing shill thing is bullshit, but it wouldn't surprise me.

When I was younger I played every FPS that released. I played a number of them competitively, including on a TF2 team that was good enough to win some leagues and play for money.

Then, as I got older, I lost my desire to play them. Now, I'll occasionally play some Battlefield or Killzone or something but, that's it. Until there is another true arena shooter I have no desire to partake in any of them really. CoD/Halo/Killzone/Battlefield are all fun but, they're all the same at the core. I want Quake Next or UTXXXX to come out and blow my face off with a rocket launcher at 125FPS. Remove the perks and the RPG elements and just give me a shooter that is a lot of damn fun. But, I digress...

That Chinese GW2 news sucks ass if true.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wish they could have just released the game in the same basic form we have and just scoped out how well it did and what to add for monetization from there. Shame that Kongzhong could have played things so poorly

Retro

I wish they could have just released the game in the same basic form we have and just scoped out how well it did and what to add for monetization from there. Shame that Kongzhong could have played things so poorly

I think the problem there is that Asian markets don't necessarily approach MMOs the same way, so just taking the exact same approach might actually be detrimental. From the articles we got a few weeks ago, it sounded like it was going to be B2P just like NA, but it sounds like it's B2P with level restrictions and some cash shop shenanigans like 35 gems to identify dyes.

Funnily enough, Uphill, Both ways is an excellent Reach song.

Totally wasn't making a reference, but it works. On my soundtrack CD that's just listed as "Both Ways" though.

Ready up stream in 20.

They might tease some features coming in feature patch.

You could at least provide the link: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Zeroth

Thank you for the link Kos.

Also, this chinese GW2 thing is pretty disturbing. The chinese market is tricky, if you are not being kicked downstairs by your chinese publisher, some shady company is copying your source code and releasing their own game with it since you have no official representative in China.

Retro

Also, this chinese GW2 thing is pretty disturbing. The chinese market is tricky, if you are not being kicked downstairs by your chinese publisher, some shady company is copying your source code and releasing their own game with it since you have no official representative in China.

Top comment on Reddit is pretty much what I'm leaning towards: "It's worth noting that this isn't a GW2/ANet/NCSoft specific issue. It's at least systemic in the Chinese gaming marketplace and arguably that's just a reflection of the broader business environment there."

Jira

As big of a deal as people are making about the Chinese stuff, this isn't our market. WE don't like this crap, but this is par for the course in China. I cannot for a second imagine a publisher would design a model that would outright bomb in their own country. Blade & Soul is in Beta in China right now and has already turned them a profit with the same kinds of stuff like 3 tiers of VIP systems where one of which even buys you power. So while WE may see this as horrible, this kind of stuff sells very well in China and if it didn't, it wouldn't be happening over there in every MMO you can imagine.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think the problem there is that Asian markets don't necessarily approach MMOs the same way, so just taking the exact same approach might actually be detrimental. From the articles we got a few weeks ago, it sounded like it was going to be B2P just like NA, but it sounds like it's B2P with level restrictions and some cash shop shenanigans like 35 gems to identify dyes.
This is what I'm saying, I wish they could have released it like that to try it out, because it seems like they're actually approaching it in the traditional P2P way with an added barrier for entry.

edit: While I agree with everything Jira just said in principle, depending on the scope of the ongoing issues right now it might not be as calmly received as they expected.

I just sort of skimmed over the reddit threads but it seems the outrage isn't necessarily at the VIP ranks themselves, but that the Publisher made a public comment about not having them days before it was revealed that they did.

And of course any Chinese players that are familiar with the US/EU versions that were hoping or expecting the game to remain unchanged seem upset but that sort of idea seems like it would be far fetched.

Jira

This is what I'm saying, I wish they could have released it like that to try it out, because it seems like they're actually approaching it in the traditional P2P way with an added 1 barrier for entry.

Nah it's not P2P cause there's no sub fee. It's still very much B2P, just with microtransactions that we wouldn't accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom