• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

xxx5tjkr.jpg

Excellent prizes. Nothing participatory?

Not sure, they just showed the prizes for the top places.

Retro

EVERY rune set has been reworked and rebalanced. LOTS of bug fixes too.

A majority of the stats have been shifted to the later bonus slots to promote using a full set of runes. Mixing and Matching felt off so they wanted to combine things.

Have they shown the new traits yet?

No.

Proven

Watching the stream right now, where they already announced a new TDM focused map, announced a new Mistpedia tournament that they're sponsoring with Legendaries as prizes, and going over the blog posts posted today. www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

As for the rune changes in PvP, I'm personally for them. Complexity and extra options does not necessarily equal depth. And some of the extreme stat building (like 60% boon duration) always felt unintended but accepted since it didn't outright break anything. If there is still merit to some of those stat stacks they can also introduce a rune set that specifically increases that stat instead of needing to mix rune sets to do it.

Also, I still wish they'd go back one day and work on underwater combat, and having at least one mode where I don't need to remember to buy 7 runes will be nice.

Stream is about to go over balance changes and new traits. Hit it up: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Edit: They also announced on stream that 1% Crit Damage = 15 Ferocity. They are also changing it so that 30 points in traits = 300 Ferocity, which means max 20% crit damage bonus from traits. They plan to increase Crit Damage through the other PvP build options in order to keep it at the same level.

Arcteryx

Don't even bother. Kos just bought 500 of them.
They are all gone.
The entire market is gone.
He could make 500g if he had the money to pay for the listing fee.

buy up the cheapo underwater weapons with the sigil and use your excess BL kits on it

just did ~90g worth of those an flipped for ~180g profit

Retro

New traits will be unlocked with a combination of skill points and gold. All existing characters will have everything already unlocked (these are being called the "Core traits"), except the new grandmaster traits, of course.

Traits are unlocked across all game modes, but are character bound, not account bound.

Ceres

Banned
Watching the stream right now, where they already announced a new TDM focused map, announced a new Mistpedia tournament that they're sponsoring with Legendaries as prizes, and going over the blog posts posted today. www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

As for the rune changes in PvP, I'm personally for them. Complexity and extra options does not necessarily equal depth. And some of the extreme stat building (like 60% boon duration) always felt unintended but accepted since it didn't outright break anything. If there is still merit to some of those stat stacks they can also introduce a rune set that specifically increases that stat instead of needing to mix rune sets to do it.

Also, I still wish they'd go back one day and work on underwater combat, and having at least one mode where I don't need to remember to buy 7 runes will be nice.

Stream is about to go over balance changes and new traits. Hit it up: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Personally, I wish PvP didn't even require you to "buy" anything or have inventory space. Have a pulldown of each available rune and activate it from the equip menu.

Earth tuned Ele Bunkers are a go. I'm really really unsure about that.

Edit: This cast is going to be a few hours at this pace. I'm REALLY hoping there's some good Thief changes...

Proven

Elementalist traits. I'm not the most knowledgeable on Elementalist, so someone help me here:

Fire: Blinding Ashes - Blind foes for 5 seconds when you burn them. Cooldown: 5s
Feels like an option for Scepter/Dagger mostly. Dagger/Dagger too.

Air: Lightning Rod - Interrupting an enemy causes them to be struck by a lighting bolt that leaves them weakened (5s).
They claim it synergizes well with Staff.

Earth: Stone Heart - You cannot be critically hit while attuned to earth.
I'm afraid to read chat right now.

Water: Aquatic Benevolence - Your healing to other allies (not self) is increased by 25%.
With max Benevolence stacking from runes and sigils, this trait brings it up to ~47%.

Arcane: Elemental Contingency - Gain a boon when you are struck, based on your current attunement, cooldown 10 seconds.
Fire: 3.5 seconds of Retaliation; Air: 5 seconds of Fury; Earth: 2.5 seconds of Protection; Water: 3 seconds of Vigor.

Looks like it's meant to stack with Elemental Attunement. Probably won't be taken over Evasive Aracana.

Engineer. Same issue as Elementalist.
Explosives: Synaptic Overload - Gain 3 seconds of quickness when you hit a foe with a knockback skill. Cooldown 20s.
From Rifle to Shield, I always felt like Engineers could be the knockback combo class. But now with Decap Engineer, I'm again afraid to look at chat. Still, this is out of reach for the current Decap build I believe.

Firearms: Bunker Down - Create a proximity mine at your location when you critically hit with an attack. Mines have a 10 second duration, 2 second cooldown.
A way to make more explosions and danger for your opponents. It's a way to make clutter without not too much clutter! Eh...

Inventions: Fortified Turrets - Your turrets are surrounded by a reflective shield when created. 4 second duration, ends if the turret is picked up or destroyed.
Engineers are now the master of reflection I guess. I've heard many Engineers saying they'll never take it because they'll never dive into Inventions.

Alchemy: Experimental Turrets - Turrets apply boons in a 6000 radius around them every 10 seconds.
Thumpter Turret: 3 seconds of Protection. Net Turret: 10 seconds of Swiftness. Rifle Turret: 5 seconds of Fury. Healing Turret: 3 seconds of Vigor. Rocket Turret: 3 seconds of Retaliation. Flame Turret: 3 stacks of Might for 10 seconds.
Will people ever take this either? It is a support option though.

Tools: Gadgeteer - Gadgets grant additional boons upon use. Boons vary based on the gadget being used.
Same as the new Alchemy trait. I don't think this will be used much.

Guardian
Zeal: Amplified Wrath - Burning damage is increased by 33%.
I'll be using this in my gimmick dragon build, probably.

Radiance: Radiant Retalation - Retaliation damage scales from condition damage instead of power.
Oh jeez, this was something I thought of months ago but was afraid to suggest on the forums. I like it. It's probably terrible in a lot of ways both in terms of good gameplay and actual use. Depends on the scaling though.

Valor: Communal Defenses - Grant 5 seconds of aegis to allies in 360 range when you block an attack.
This is actually pretty interesting. I don't think it will get taken by most though.

Honor: Force of Will - Gain up to 300 Vitality, based on your level.
It can actually be a good trait. Taking this trait plus the points in Honor increases your health by over 50% before gear. Kind of niche though.

Virtues: Purity of Body - Resolve's passive effects increase endurance regeneration by 15%.
This is actually pretty enticing, especially in combination to the possible reduction of boon duration stacking.

Mesmer:
Domination: Power Block
Can't be used in combination with both Deceptive Evasion and Illusionary Persona. May not ever be in a top meta build because of it.

Dueling: Triumphant Distortion - Gain 3 seconds of distortion upon killing an enemy.
Too niche for most PvP.

Chaos: Bountiful Disillusionment - Gain boons each time a shatter skill is used.
I like. I like it a lot. Note that Distortion gives Regeneration, which then automatically procs Protection.

Inspiriation: Disrupter's Sustainment - Gain 1000 healing power for 4 seconds upon interrupting a foe.
I used to do Inspiration/Domination in GW1. Have to choose between this trait and...

Illusions: Maim the Disillusioned - Enemies hit by shatter skills are inflected by torment.
Will use this so much. If I don't go back into interrupt builds.

Necromancer
Spite: Parasitic Contagion - A percentage of your condition damage heals you (5%, is not affected by healing power).
People will still complain about condition spam.

Curses: Path of Corruption - Dark Path now additionally converts 2 boons into conditions.
Looks like they're trying to force more enticements and tradeoffs between going 30 Spite 20 Curses, 20 Spite 30 Curses, or 30 in both.

Death Magic: Unholy Sanctuary - Regenerate health while you are in Death Shroud.
This and the balance changes Death Shroud a much more powerful defensive utility. You also have the option of having Deathshroud be more powerful offensively. I like it, but I'm odd and like using Deathshroud for all my Necro builds no matter what the focus.

Blood Magic: Unholy Martyr - Draw 1 condition from allies every 3 seconds while in death shroud. Each time you draw a condition, gain 5% life force.
More condition hate for Necromancer. This is cool.

Soul Reaping: Renewing Blast - Life Blast heals allies that it passes through.
I would have used this a year ago. I like it, but it might be too weak to ever be considered.

Ranger
Marksmanship: Read the Wind - Longbow and Harpoon Gun projectile velocity is increased by 100%.
I like this more and more when I think about using it from 1500 range.

Skirmishing: Strider's Defense - You have a 15% chance to block ranged attacks while in melee.
People will complain that it's passive. It's also isn't worded clearly enough.

Wilderness Survival: Poison Master - Poison you apply deals 50% extra damage. Poison with your pet's first attack when they are swapped to.
I like the theme and idea of this trait.

Nature magic: Survival of the Fittest - Remove two conditions and gain fury when using a survival skill.
Woah. Like seriously, woah.

Beast Mastery: Invigorating Bond - Your pet heals in an area when executing command abilities.
Depends on the healing, but this is something that should happen in the healing line.

Thief
Deadly Arts: Revealed Training - Gain up to 200 extra power when you are revealed, based on your level.
Heartseeker spam.

Critical Strikes: Invigorating Precision - You are healed for a percentage of your critical strike damage dealth. The current rate is 5%.
Everyone is calling this trait too weak. Might get buffed one day.

Shadow Arts: Resilience of Shadows - Stealth you apply reduces 50% incoming attack damage.
I don't like it, but only because I don't like stealth. Still, this isn't bad trait in itself.

Acrobatics: Assassin's Equilibrium - Gain 1 second of stability when you are revealed.
Intended to be used against one of the counters to stealth, Hammer Warriors. Don't forget that this is in the boon duration line. I think it needs to be at least 2 seconds to be worthwhile though.

Trickery: Bewildering Ambush - Stealing applies 5 stacks of confusion for 5 seconds.
Eh... Sleight of Hand is really good. Not sure if I'd swap to this on my condition thief, but would be good for Pistol/Dagger condition thieves.

Warrior
Strength: Burst Precision - Burst skills have an increased chance to critically hit. (Chance: 100%)
Ah, wah, woah, I'm not sure how good this is in valuation to other meta builds, but this can be pretty damned powerful.

Arms: Dual Wield Agility - Your attack speed is increased by 10% when wielding a sword, axe, or mace in your offhand.
Sword makes a Criple on third hit. Mace adds Weakness. Axe just does the best auto-attack damage on Warrior.

Defense: Rousing Resilience - Gain toughness when you break out of a stun. The amount of toughness is gained up to 1000, based on your level.
This could cause problems. It feels like a Warrior counter to a Warrior issue.

Phalanx Strength - When you grant yourself might, grant it to nearby allies as well. 6 seconds of might is granted each time this trait triggers.
Oh god. My Warrior from launch has been might stacking all day erryday. I... will have this trait. But what do I drop...

Brawler's Recovery - Remove blindness when you swap weapons.
Probably won't be taken over the other options in this slot.

Retro

The new Spite trait (Parasitic Contagion - 5% of your condition damage heals you) for Necromancers is well-built. It doesn't scale with healing power, so there's no reason to grab +HP gear for it, and you can just go full condition build.

Arcteryx

That Ranger trait(15% chance to block Ranged while in Melee) is VERY lackluster compared to the Ele Earth trait(no crit while in Earth).

Liking the other classes, but those Ranger traits are mega disappointing.

Retro

Shadow Arts: Resilience of Shadows - Stealth you apply reduces 50% incoming attack damage.

Wow. Thieves just got support-y.

Invigorating Precision is probably the best trait there for my particular build, though the Deadly Arts* and the Trickery traits also look good.

Edit: Fixed. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love them all. I only play with 30 in critical strikes normally, and won't be replacing Executioner. But it will be a lot of fun (and much easier) to play around with more dramatic builds after this. I love the idea of Shadow Refuge + "DON'T ATTACK!!!!!" for a party-wide damage shield...

edit: ^Invigorating Precision is the Critical Strikes trait. I'll toss it on over Executioner when leading PUGs with my Support build (good for "better not go down or we're all fucked" scenarios). Otherwise, nothing beats Executioner :>

Don't even bother. Kos just bought 500 of them.
They are all gone.
The entire market is gone.
He could make 500g if he had the money to pay for the listing fee.

Ok that was an over reaction.

Somehow when I tried to sell, the sale price on my window was set to 2gold when they were only going for around 70 silver, so i got excited that i can make 530g but that is only if the price goes to like 2 gold or more, which I hope will happen closer to april 15th.

Twitch stream chat has given me cancer. It's too late for me. I'm dying.
Yeah I started watching it in full screen because the chat was becoming a dumb hole.

Retro

New Tactics Trait: Phalanx Strength - When you grant yourself might, grant it to nearby allies as well. 6 seconds of might is granted each time this trait triggers.

4590wjy6.gif

My wife literally just handed me a towel.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New Tactics Trait: Phalanx Strength - When you grant yourself might, grant it to nearby allies as well. 6 seconds of might is granted each time this trait triggers.

4590wjy6.gif

My wife literally just handed me a towel.
yay do dungeons with my elementalist <3

edit: ^Invigorating Precision is the Critical Strikes trait. I'll toss it on over Executioner when leading PUGs with my Support build (good for "better not go down or we're all fucked" scenarios). Otherwise, nothing beats Executioner :>

Lol yeah I fixed it. I should probably proof read more often before clicking submit. Invigorating Precision > Executioner for me as I'm a S/D Thief primarily now.. So gaining more survivability in head to head fights is a big deal. Combine it with full Shadow Arts and I can take a few more attacks to the face. :D

Edit: Hard to tell if that was genuine or shots fired at Dulfy. I think I'll go with shots fired.

Retro

yay do dungeons with my elementalist <3

I'm not so much interested in it for my current build but a warrior with Forceful Greatsword (only a master trait in the Arms tree, which I'm already deep in) would be throwing stacks of Might down on every crit.

There has to be an internal cooldown, otherwise Hundred blades would just... would... um...

That's... kinda scary.

Proven

Maybe I shouldn't have felt the need to comment on every trait. And there were a lot of comments I'd like to go back and go into more detail on, but that post is now so huge...

Edit: I will say that overall, the Engineer traits seem like they'll be the most hated. I also picture everyone saying that Warriors are still the most loved by the devs.

Cels

More on the PVP:

All from this thread: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Please-stop-with-the-sPvP-unlocks It's the official forums though, so expect the usual whining, bitching, complaining, ragequitting, mudslinging, entitlement and out-of-context quotes being used to make someone look bad / lazy / inept / evil / stupid.

I wasn't around for when new healing skills got added to the game and sPvPers had to unlock them, so if they are adding new traits to the game that sPvPers have to unlock too, I guess it's nothing new then, just continuation of a trend.

I think it's a backwards direction to take sPvP. As I said earlier, one of GW2 PvP's only improvements over GW1 is the lack of unlocks in PvP. No one asked for horizontal progression in sPvP with respect to things that actually affected gameplay, like skills, runes, or traits. Unlocking armor skins, weapon skins, rank emotes, finishers, titles, etc. are all completely fine.

I played a lot of GW1 PvP and unlocking skills/runes/weapon components was annoying to be sure, but at least faction gain was pretty fast, and you could do a lot of different things for it, AB, arenas, HA, GvG, JQ, FA, etc. I got UAX pretty quickly but played a long time after that. UAX wasn't what made PvP enjoyable to me. That's why it was nice to see that GW2 took the superior approach, allowing new characters to jump in to PvP with everything unlocked from the start. It's kind of sad to see them going back on this.

Jira

I wasn't around for when new healing skills got added to the game and sPvPers had to unlock them, so if they are adding new traits to the game that sPvPers have to unlock too, I guess it's nothing new then, just continuation of a trend.

I think it's a backwards direction to take sPvP. As I said earlier, one of GW2 PvP's only improvements over GW1 is the lack of unlocks in PvP. No one asked for horizontal progression in sPvP with respect to things that actually affected gameplay, like skills, runes, or traits. Unlocking armor skins, weapon skins, rank emotes, finishers, titles, etc. are all completely fine.

I played a lot of GW1 PvP and unlocking skills/runes/weapon components was annoying to be sure, but at least faction gain was pretty fast, and you could do a lot of different things for it, AB, arenas, HA, GvG, JQ, FA, etc. I got UAX pretty quickly but played a long time after that. UAX wasn't what made PvP enjoyable to me. That's why it was nice to see that GW2 took the superior approach, allowing new characters to jump in to PvP with everything unlocked from the start. It's kind of sad to see them going back on this.

There are people who want ANet to put PROGRESHUNS into sPvP. This is likely the least sinister version of that. We're sadly at a point in gaming where there has to be a carrot for players or they don't care. The sPvP crowd are typically the most vocal and whiny when it comes to these things. The amount of Counterstrike I played over a 2 year period would make a lot of people look at me in disgust and I got absolutely NOTHING for it with no new maps, game modes, or much of anything outside of a couple bug fixes in that time frame. Yet here we are 1.5 years out from launch and we've got 3 new maps, a spectator mode, custom arenas, solo queue, eventual new reward system, the ability to level up in PvE, bags, etc. Now we have a new game mode and map coming in a month. So as little support as people believe ANet puts into sPvP, that still shits on the rest of the genre by a large margin.

People constantly like to compare GW2's PvP support with say LoL or DOTA but then fail to remember that Riot and Valve (well the DOTA team) work on a single game and mode of play exclusively. Riot is absolutely giganitc and the DOTA team is probably 75+. Point being, those guys don't have to create content for 3 games at once and balance them. Also, they don't have a split userbase amongst game modes which sPvP is the smallest of the three modes in GW2. All too often do I see MMO devs pander to their smallest userbase and they end up shitting the bed because of it. You go where the money is (in this case it's really not sPvP). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy PvP A LOT, but in reality that's not where the money is coming from for ANet and they have to pay the bills. People can complain all they want about sPvP, but there's still nothing better in the genre for PvP and that includes ESO (hot garbage) and WIldstar (clusterfuck).

Proven

So I did some number crunching.

Right now, at this moment, the maximum theoretical value for a Guardian's condition damage in PvP using Rabid Amulet + Jewel, Undead Runes, Signet of Wrath, and a specific trait spread: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vUAQFgfEVCNRY9AAAogVPAAAAwVBKC-TkAAzCpIaS1krJTTymsNNXA

It comes to 1708, and if you get max stacks of the condition stacking sigil you get up to 1958.

So I ran to http://gw2calc.com/conditions/ to double check and that much condition damage means that your burn does 818 damage per tick. And with the new trait you can increase that by 33%. Comes to 1088 damage per tick, depending on how you round it.

Of course this is unrealistic, and you'll never have permanent burning up time. I probably won't even use the trait now that I think about it, because the last few months has had me take my gimmick build in a different direction and I want to see what the full rune/sigil changes are. No matter how you use burning on a Guardian, the main thing is to think about how to consistently perform applications because of cleansing. And Guardian has a surprising amount of methods.

Disclaimer: Condition Guardian will never be considered competitive. Won't stop me from fooling around with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom