• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayman

I REALLY think the facilitating friendly play blogs are going to touch on Queensdale. Turning the champs into silvers would create such salty tears and it will be delicious.

They could always fix scaling or make champs that have enough abilities and smarts to try and win the fight. Hell devs could live event in the area once in awhile with the goal of killing the train!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They could always fix scaling or make champs that have enough abilities and smarts to try and win the fight. Hell devs could live event in the area once in awhile with the goal of killing the train!
That's the thing though, it's not a bad thing that the stuff in Queensdale is easy, really, just that it's taken such disproportionate advantage of.

Nope the champ train in the wrong zone, experience players are teaching and misleading new players, it's time for it to go, this is how i would fix it..

All but one champ is gone.
Bandit and Troll are now Vets with no events tied to them.
Boar spawns once an hour it's also a Vet, event stays.
Spider a vet..
Queen Wasp elite event stays.
Oak is the only champ i keep because it's tied to SB, spawn time is change to every 30mins..

This would effectively kill queensdale and put all the high levels in Frostgorge, i have no problems with Frostgorge train...

gilljoy

Guys can someone explain the role of a necro in end game?

Just hit level 80 and I've no idea what I'm meant to do in dungeons etc.

Necros can really pile on the Weakness and Vulnerability, which is great everywhere. Weakness especially can make a huge difference in fights.

Necros are also pretty good sustain DPS from what I've seen, so basically, do what you do best and find a way to make that work for you in dungeons. There's no "right" way to play any class in a dungeon, other than helping your team with boons/conditions, and putting out damage.

This is a build I hear is very popular for Necro dungeoneers: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fQA...m+w6A-jAyAYrBRTQgpMgUBgkXR0YLuFRjVXjpcJiqBA-e

EDIT: As a general rule of thumb, here's the key points do doing any group content, like fractals/dungeons.

1) Can you give the group Might? Do it! Max stacks = happy team.
2) Can you give enemies Weakness/Vulnerability? Do it! Max stacks = unhappy enemies.
3) Bring/swap out utilities to give yourself wiggle room, and adapt to the situation. The spider boss in AC is a good example of this: forget your cleanses, and you'll be dead before you know it.

That's about it, really. The rest is just experience, knowing the fights, and finding a style that works for you. Your class is like a character in a fighting game, with some customization options. Each class has a variety of ways they can play, but they're still generally unique to that class. Figuring out all the ways your class can play, what tools you have in your toolbox, that's half the fun.

Ashodin

You are probably going to get a lot of responses to this question. My two cents:

There is no endgame. Not as you know it. There's no raid gear to acquire or anything, but the best options for you is to try to make your gear towards the build you want to play. Want to play more Conditions? Grab more Condition and Toughness gear to be tough and deadly.

What do you do in dungeons? Play the way you want, and just try not to die, basically. There's no specific "role" you need to play.

Mxrz

It would be really nice if they made events more rewarding. No point doing an event when can just champ train.

Commander'ed today. Had more than two guild groups, so I tagged up for squad chat. Had some other tag shouting that guilds shouldn't tag up or some such. Funny stuff. - EotM commandered a bit this evening, too. No idea what i was doing but with 60 people you can just run at anything not the same color as you and win.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

You may wish to look up some builds. Necros can do ridiculous condition damage, and can be built surprisingly tanky, too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A bonus 10 Unidentified Dyes will be added to tonight's door prize! All you have to do to qualify for this one is show up.

Remember, lottery ticks can be purchased until the end of our rush:
lottofinal7dein.jpg

Have fun at guild missions tonight. Won't be able to make it because I'm out for my wife's birthday.

I'll run/help run the guild mission makeups tomorrow at 3pm eastern.

desku

I got this game on release after being hyped about it for ages, I was addicted to GW 1, but it never really clicked with me. I was talking to a friend about it the other day saying I'd get into it once the Living Story had wrapped up and some quality of life update happened. And what do you know?

Thinking about making a Guardian as I've got a free level 20 boost from my in game birthday box thing and I've heard these guys are good at dungeons, which I like doing. Is this a terrible idea?

Retro

I got this game on release after being hyped about it for ages, I was addicted to GW 1, but it never really clicked with me. I was talking to a friend about it the other day saying I'd get into it once the Living Story had wrapped up and some quality of life update happened. And what do you know?

Thinking about making a Guardian as I've got a free level 20 boost from my in game birthday box thing and I've heard these guys are good at dungeons, which I like doing. Is this a terrible idea?

The big quality of life update (aka the Feature Update) will be April 15th. That said, if you haven't played since launch there's been a whole year and a half of QoL updates so the game is in quite a different place now too.

As for guardians being good at dungeons, that label can be applied to any profession, really. High level Fractal groups often stack guardians for their reflects, but that's a pretty narrow purpose and you may not even want to do fractals to that point. Guardians are fun, though their playstyle can be a little passive for some people. Their combat is pretty enjoyable, and they're hard to kill if you build them right.

If you're having trouble deciding a class, roll what's fun for you. Every profession can perform every task, just in different ways, so play what you enjoy because it won't hurt your ability to get a group (outside of the snootiest of snooty elite LFG groups, but they're assholes anyways).

I've said it a hundred of times; enjoying this game, more than any other MMO, depends on finding the profession that clicks with you. Some people started off playing their usual class type and lost interest in the game, only to come back, try something completely new and fall in love.

Wander outside of your preferences. Try a different profession. If you don't like it, all of the money, crafting materials and karma are account bound, automatically funding your next character.

If you want to see all of the skills and traits a class has, hit the crossed swords icons at the top of the screen to go to the "heart of the mists" where you'll have access to all of that in a big lobby of sorts.

Proven

My thief is at 104% crit damage, remember seeing that 100% was the cap, if they removed the cap things could be very interesting depending on how the new traits are set up...

There's no cap on crit damage bonus in any part of the game (i.e. if you have the gear and additions to make it that high, you can get that high). 104% on your stat screen really means that your crits are doing 254% damage of a non-crit attack. And I'm pretty sure the maximum crit-damage total in group PvE is at least 300% (someone else that follows it more closely can confirm). It's because of stuff like this that makes a lot of the Berserker dungeon speedruns so incredibly fast.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Katoki was the big lottery winner. He graciously tossed 25G back in the pot for next week's. Jacob Caj won our door prize and bonus 10 dyes.

swnny

Being playing the ChinaGW2 for the better part of the weekend.
Aside from that ridiculous "anti addiction" system, everything else looks really good. Don't believe the outrage about how the Chinese game is destroyed.

The progression is gated, true, but not limiting at all.
Unlocks like offhand weapons and skill slots are every level and it helps guide the new players through the skills and mechanics. Even in the first few levels (5 or 7 I think), when you are at low HP, a big arrow will appear, pointing at your heal skill. By the level of 12, the player have all weapon skills and swaps unlocked. And we all know how fast is to reach level 12. Just for example, I reached 24lvl in under 5 hours total, including the fact I was playing some PvP as well. So, at least up to this point, I don't think the leveling curve is that much steeper.
The third utility skill is unlocked at 35, while the elite at level 50, which is kinda high, imo.

About POIs and Vistas, they are unlocked early on, and by "unlocking" I mean, you get to see them on your (mini)map. Not having them unlocked doesn't mean you can't interact with them. The same cannot be said about skill points. Until the level of 13, you cannot gain any skillpoints.

As far, as the VIP system goes, It's really mostly bunch of things, that are already in the gem store. Nothing extreme. Altho, when I brought it (you get like 3750 "test" gems) it gave me a purple bag, which contained this new dye indetificator, some gems and another bag (bagception!) with 1 gold in it.
When you get an achievement point, it also goes towards the vip title, which ranks up and unlocks more of these purple bags.

Maybe the most annoying thing was the "anti-addiction system", which is like a timer that cut's your rewards (pve exp, wvw exp, gold etc) in half after 3 hours of play, and completely stops rewarding you after 5 hours. I did not get how exactly it works. It's supposed to reset after some time of inactivity, but mu Chinese goes as far as taking a screenshot, running it through FineReader's OCR and copy the text into Google Translate. :D

Here is an album with few screenshots http://imgur.com/a/nVPMf#0
(on the third screen you can see "hi gaf" in the chat, just to prove it's me, while on the last screen you can see the white text under the expierence gain which informs you it's halved by the antiaddiction system)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
30 minutes to Makeup Missions!

Please log on and come help out
me because I got disconnected during puzzle last night
! :D

Retro

Maybe the most annoying thing was the "anti-addiction system", which is like a timer that cut's your rewards (pve exp, wvw exp, gold etc) in half after 3 hours of play, and completely stops rewarding you after 5 hours. I did not get how exactly it works. It's supposed to reset after some time of inactivity, but mu Chinese goes as far as taking a screenshot, running it through FineReader's OCR and copy the text into Google Translate. :D

Those are pretty common in all Asian MMOs, though usually it's something like a friendly reminder every hour you've been playing. I guess people are afraid of horror stories like the Koreans who let their kids die because they're too busy playing Starcraft or whatever.

Otherwise, like you said, sounds like a lot of non-issues apart from that and the utility / elite skill being kinda high. The internet overreacts again!

Grayman

Kos was awesome. I was holding my own until the thumatic boss in our third fractal. I imagine if I played on my mesmer that would have been a mess though. My warrior has a lot more healing ability with shouts.

swnny

Those are pretty common in all Asian MMOs, though usually it's something like a friendly reminder every hour you've been playing. I guess people are afraid of horror stories like the Koreans who let their kids die because they're too busy playing Starcraft or whatever.

Otherwise, like you said, sounds like a lot of non-issues apart from that and the utility / elite skill being kinda high. The internet overreacts again!

There is a friendly reminder in GW1. Every hour it will kindly ask you to take a break. "You have played for X hours, please take a break". :) In ChinaGW2 it's to the extreme. :D

I see someone(Jira, I believe?) posted my impression from the Chinese beta on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...ie_of_mine_played_the_chinese_beta_heres_his/
Hehe, now I have to answer some questions over there. :)

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
An interview wth Ramon Damoke at Foostival 2014(It's in German)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtyPtpDBHWs#t=27

Morlewen on reddit picked out some key points

https://pay.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2...rview_with_ramon_domke_during_foostival_2014/

„
  • Facilitating friendly Play“ will also address the topics like world boss events on separate maps or the normal play in zones during these events
  • The internal documents about season 2 already reveal who is E. Ramon read it.
  • The ending of season 2 is already fixed
  • Season 2 will go into the direction of addon-like content
  • Precursor was initially planned for feature pack. Revamp of reward system caused the delay
  • For the fate of LA players have to wait.
  • Ramon does not want to spoil SAB world 3 or April 1st
  • Ramon hates data miners. They should burn in hell.
  • Town clothes, profession to craft them will be adressed on this Monday

Thanks to Tnyde1

• Season 2 will have a red thread. The overall goal will be clear after the start.
  • Ramon does not know if player driver decisions like the former election are in season 2
  • Anet is trying to make it clearer to players that they aren't 'making stuff up as they go' in the living story. They realize many releases in season 1 might've been jumping between scenarios without a visible common thread.
  • Domke personally doesn't know if player choices (like the elections) will play a role in season 2.
  • The API will need to undergo changes after the april 15th patch but he doesn't personally know how fast this will be addressed.
  • Anet employees get a monthly gem amount to spend :p
  • That's mostly it, other question were about him personally or about things anet can't disclose yet or hasn't found a definitive answer to yet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kos was awesome. I was holding my own until the thumatic boss in our third fractal. I imagine if I played on my mesmer that would have been a mess though. My warrior has a lot more healing ability with shouts.
Kos was not the only one alive to take the Anomaly down by the way. you know, just sayin.

Retro

An interview wth Ramon Damoke at Foostival 2014.

Facilitating Friendly Play = Goodbye Queensdale Train.
E = MC2
Addon-like content?
Having to wait for LA to get repaired = Good.
Not wanting to spoil SAB World 3 = There is an SAB World 3 to spoil?

Didn't even consider that Monday's topic could cover town clothes, but I love that it's being incorporated via crafting. Hopefully there's more than just clothes, but also toys and such that the non-armor professions can craft.

Good stuff.

Retro

If all we get Monday is something for town clothes and not a wardrobe function for armor I'll be really disappointed.

Considering the Wardrobe was found via data-mining, I'm pretty sure it's in there. Also, the "Color" blog will probably be about dye changes. I wouldn't be shocked if tomorrow is all about the cosmetics.

Mxrz

Probably wouldn't get too excited.

Got a Tormented/ascended shield, and now I am determined to use it. Meh skills be damned.

CoffeeMan

Alright guys, I made a podcast with one of my friends about the recent proposed changes.

http://www.twitch.tv/bigheart_gamer/c/3935302

It's quite long(2 1/2 hours) but luckily most of it you can just listen to while playing. However, I used props to describe each profession throughout the cast. Some of them may be appropriate...you decide. :)

I'm listening to the visualwood podcast right now, will hit yours this afternoon :)

Thanks for sharing

CoffeeMan

Season 1 was also a fully planned arc, afaik.

IIRC, they planned it out in December(2012), for January(2013) start.

The living story was a last minute thing they decide to do.

I'm guessing that Season 2, they'll learn from all the good and the bad that happened in Season 1.

Lunar15

Season 1 was also a fully planned arc, afaik.

I mean, it's possible, but I have a hard time believing that they had the ending planned out as soon as they made Flame and Frost.

Most of what I read in interviews is that their living story teams were broken up, so the different story teams had little communication. It sounded like there were a lot of quick decisions that they couldn't help, and then they had to start writing the story almost immediately.

Here's the thing: When you do properly set a goal from the start, there's also the issue of "are we there yet" syndrome. Hopefully they'll work around that in the appropriate ways. Having a goal, but leaving that goal vague enough is the best way to go about it, so that way you leave people guessing while still giving them a reason to continue.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Offseason Event #1 - Hunting the Little-known Dailies - Tues. 3/25 at 8:00PM EDT

Just announcing a little guild event for tomorrow night! I wanted to give anyone who hasn't seen some of the lesser-known World Events that offer daily rares a chance to scope them out. These include:
  • Flame Temple Tombs
  • Ogre Wars
  • Zho'Qafa Catacombs
  • Taidha Covington
  • The Megadestroyer
Taidha, Ogre Wars and MegaD have been less obscure in 2014 thanks to Vyrance's stalwart boss train among other things, but they're still relatively low-profile and I know that many of us at least don't do them a majority of the days we play.

This won't be a huge time investment or anything. We can meet up with SBI for the timer based ones as they occur and just launch the others on our own. If we're making good time, we could even do Gates of Arah, which isn't actually a daily rare event but is quite cool and offers good loot.

Be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom