• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think the bigger cause for celebration is the fact that we have a use for all those transmutation stones.
Yeah, it's nice not just that there's any kind of compensation, but that they're basically free "real" transmutes, since the whole level-80-item vs. skin distinction is going bye-bye, for playing the game. Actually, seeing as how "transmutation charges" probably won't be dropping for map completion, maybe I should try to get some zones cleared by the 15th..

xeris

I noted that in the skins article they mentioned that it worked for salvaging, consumables, equipping, or account binding. Possible telegraph that they're getting rid of character-bound equipment?

Second, I love 99% of these changes but I hope I don't lose this look:

BFdR8jh.jpg

Ashodin

I noted that in the skins article they mentioned that it worked for salvaging, consumables, equipping, or account binding. Possible telegraph that they're getting rid of character-bound equipment?

Second, I love 99% of these changes but I hope I don't lose this look:

BFdR8jh.jpg

Unsure, but I think you might be able to use the hood as a true transmog thing, and the rest as an outfit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New goodies in the gem store
New – Lion’s Arch Enameled Dyes!
The Lion’s Arch Survivors Dye Kit has twenty-five beautiful colors inspired by the vibrancy of the city and its citizens, including six brand-new Enameled dyes!

New—Golem Pummeler Finisher!
Give your enemies a memorable send-off! This explosive golem finisher will land on your defeated foes, given them a few punches for good measure, and rocket off into space!

New—Frost Wasp Logging Tool!
As part of the efforts to clean up Lion’s Arch, I’ve scoured the city for bits and pieces of Scarlet’s twisted watchwork army. We’ve re-assembled the parts, thrown in some frost magic, and created an eco-friendly infinite logging tool!
Time to kit another character with an infinite axe <3

Last day for Scarlet's Champion's minis too... I didn't even realize that was being sold. Kiiinda want that Molten Berserker mini.

Wonder if I've got any gift cards lying around :p

markot

Banned
Really? I don't get that reading from the reading....

Also it's bad news cause I didn't buy it cause it was town clothes that I never use...

Retro

Really? I don't get that reading from the reading....

Town Clothes sold through the gem store as outfits, such as the Pirate Captain’s Outfit, will be usable as a single outfit skin through the Wardrobe. Purchasing an outfit will unlock it for all characters on your account to use. Outfits will replace the look of equipped armors, are equipped in a separate appearance slot, and do not require Transmutation Charges to use. Single items, such as the Fuzzy Hats and Scarlet’s Spaulders, will be unlocked for your entire account and usable with any armor weight. Some basic clothing items that are no longer available for purchase will be converted into endless tonics.

Korten

Banned
Wait, so do we get 1 charge for every 3 transmutation stone or 3 charges for every 1 transmute stone?

Also does the new dye system mean I need to unlock Abyss again... Cause that's stupid... :(

Korten

Banned
1 charge for 3 stones.

1 charge for 1 crystal.

That... doesn't seem very fair. So it means we would have less transmute power after the update. Unless the armor-transmute ratio is not one-to-one.

Like if you transmute an entire armor set that it isn't 6 charges but 3 charges.

If you have it on one character, after April 15th you have it on all characters.

Hype Intensifying.

Korten

Banned
5d463Wardrobe-UI-Equipment-Panel-590x445.jpg

Where's the Personality Icon?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Guess they got rid of it since it amounted to nothing... Which really sucks cause I saw potential in the system. :( Hell maybe if they had decided on no VA (not saying the Voice Acting is bad), they could have written more dialogue to have taken advantage of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also does the new dye system mean I need to unlock Abyss again... Cause that's stupid... :(
That would be a pretty psychotic move. Wondering how you got that impression, hahaha
That... doesn't seem very fair. So it means we would have less transmute power after the update. Unless the armor-transmute ratio is not one-to-one.
I'm trying to understand how you've misinterpreted this bit so I can explain, but I'm honestly not sure what you mean. Could you clarify a little bit?

Transmutation stones (not crystals) are borderline-useless junk to most players in their current incarnation.

Korten

Banned
That would be a pretty psychotic move. Wondering how you got that impression, hahaha

I'm trying to understand how you've misinterpreted this bit so I can explain, but I'm honestly not sure what you mean. Could you clarify a little bit?

Transmutation stones (not crystals) are borderline-useless junk to most players in their current incarnation.

Well for the dye part I was a bit confused...

"One of the biggest changes we’re making is that dyes will no longer be unlocked per character but per account instead. When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.
If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account."

Doesn't exactly clarify what happens when you have a single dye on one character but not others, just if you have the same dye unlocked already on multiple characters.

As for the second part. I get that, since obviously unlike Stones and Crystals, Charges will work for level 1 through 80. I guess I just worried that because if you say have 100 Stones (which I have, I think), then you get roughly 33 charges. Which is a good amount, however now you have less if you want to transmute other stuff that isn't 80.

But eh, I digress. The system seems fine, I was just slightly confused.

Although I guess I think that Crystals shouldn't equal 1 charge, they should equal 2. (Even though unlike stones (which are 3 to 1), Crystals are 1 to 1.)

Retro

I thought it was the stones gave one charge and the crystals gave three charges.

Crystals are the Level 80 Transmutation item with the blue icon. The will be worth 1 charge.
Stones are the level 1-79 Transmutation item with the yellow icon. The will be worth 1/3rd a charge.

Proven

Sadly, you won't have the stats saved, only the skin. There's still reason to have multiple armor and weapon sets in your bag. Although for me, I can finally get rid of the multitude of equipment I've been keeping in my bag for transmutation somewhere down the line (keep spending too much gold on stuff other than gems).

Yeah, it's nice not just that there's any kind of compensation, but that they're basically free "real" transmutes, since the whole level-80-item vs. skin distinction is going bye-bye, for playing the game. Actually, seeing as how "transmutation charges" probably won't be dropping for map completion, maybe I should try to get some zones cleared by the 15th..
There's a chance that they'll still keep dropping stones or some other item for map completion. I doubt we'll completely stop getting some amount of free charges.

There's even a picture showing one of the Wintersday outfits on an Engineer wielding a Rifle.

Like if you transmute an entire armor set that it isn't 6 charges but 3 charges.

Well, if you're talking about gear under level 80, then yeah, it's less transmutation power. If you're talking about gear at level 80, then it's a lot more transmutation power. I have a bunch of stones sitting in my bank.

"One of the biggest changes we&#8217;re making is that dyes will no longer be unlocked per character but per account instead. When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.
If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account."

Doesn't exactly clarify what happens when you have a single dye on one character but not others, just if you have the same dye unlocked already on multiple characters.

By implication you'd get the differing dye added to your account. It would be weird for them to do it any other way. Even if there was a technical issue preventing that, they'd more than likely hold the whole system back.

Edit: More from the forums

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Wearable-costumes-in-combat/3808902
Curtis Johnson said:
There is no transmutation charge to change outfits or toggle it on and off.
Transmutation charges are for applying new skins to specific armor pieces, same as now.
Yes outfits are all or nothing.
Yes wearable in combat. There will be no non-combat equipment anymore, unless you count tonics.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Wearable-costumes-in-combat/3809461
Curtis Johnson said:
The endless tonic will grant the appearance of the clothing it replaced. (along with some appropriate complimentary pieces so you&#8217;re not naked). They are new tonics, not existing ones.
Only one tonic can be used at one time.
There will be no town-clothes swap any more.. so you won&#8217;t be switching to naked.

Wardrobe and dye changes are good. Does Adriaaa even have the game installed?

Now Anet, do something about those stupid Dynamic Event medals. They are completely obsolete to everyone but the newest of players. I really don't care about how much karma, exp, and gold I earn for tagging something, but having to click on that tacky worthless symbol ("You got a gold medal! Gz! Have a cookie") to make it disappear is annoying and actually distracting. DEs are nicely done when I seamlessly move from one DE to the next, but that bright blingy thing on the right side of my screen is screaming for my attention. I especially hate them when I go exploring maps with an alt. There are now other ways to tell if you're dying to know if you got event credit, like the daily/monthly trackers and treasure chests. Thought we were supposed to play the game, not the UI. Give me the option to make those medals, or any additional indication that I participated in a DE, go away, por favor.

Arcteryx

I like that I get the skins I already overwrote on an item as well.

Only for one "level" though.

ie: if you bought a gem store armor set, skinned some legs, transmuted over the legs, transmuted over the legs again, then you'd only get the most recent transmutation items(not ALL).

I know I've got a couple items that fall into that category, so I'm waiting to see a dev respond on how they're going to handle gem store purchases(ie: will they automatically grant you the FULL set, no matter if you've still got the items un-transmuted, or will it still apply the "one level" rule). I'm hoping it's a case of, "if you bought it, we will see it in the BL data and grant it to you".

It's going to be amusing seeing a ton of low-level alts with legendary skins running around. Imagine a brand new player starting out in Queensdale, and he sees a level 7 warrior running past him with Twilight. Lol.

Edit: I await the inevitable official forum posts bemoaning the "explosion of legendaries across the map." I hope a brave gaffer can paste some choice quotes. It will be glorious.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

"One of the biggest changes we&#8217;re making is that dyes will no longer be unlocked per character but per account instead. When you unlock a dye after the feature pack is released, all characters on your account will have unlimited access to that color.

I guess I (and the author of this post) just found it obvious that since dyes were becoming account-based, existing dyes on each character would become available to all characters. Then they clarified that there would be some small recompense (an unidentified dye) for each one you'd already unlocked on more than one character.
I'd guess that if you have a dye unlocked on one character it will now be accessible to all characters.
Yep... this is basically the majority of the change itself, no guessing needed. :)
As for the second part. I get that, since obviously unlike Stones and Crystals, Charges will work for level 1 through 80. I guess I just worried that because if you say have 100 Stones (which I have, I think), then you get roughly 33 charges. Which is a good amount, however now you have less if you want to transmute other stuff that isn't 80.

Although I guess I think that Crystals shouldn't equal 1 charge, they should equal 2. (Even though unlike stones (which are 3 to 1), Crystals are 1 to 1.)
Hmm. This is pure "can't please everybody" in practice if ever I've seen it!

I have an obnoxious number of transmutation stones, and I think I've already used something like 20 and have little use for them at all anymore, even as someone who doesn't care about having all level-80. You're right that, if you wanted to use them all on sub-80 items, you'd have 33 shots at it rather that 100 before spending any money. But you couldn't even decide to use any fraction of your 100 for level 80 items before, and once acquiring level 80 items becomes somewhat trivial.... any conversion to the charges which allow transmutes of any skin I already own, regardless of item level, is a massive improvement in usefulness.
I thought it was the stones gave one charge and the crystals gave three charges.
Man. Apparently these blog posts were a lot less clearly written than I had thought. :p
There's a chance that they'll still keep dropping stones or some other item for map completion. I doubt we'll completely stop getting some amount of free charges.
Well, definitely there's a chance they'll still drop, though I had thought the items were going away altogether. I think a chance at a few free charges, equivalent to getting crystals for completion, is probably likely.

leng jai

I'm kind of surprised they included Legendaries in the wardrobe. Bit ridiculous for people who made multiple versions of the same one. They should get some compensation system going for that.

This all sounds good to me. Look forward to trying it out.

It always seems like Seda is 1 update away from coming back to GW2 to ruin his life again.

Adriaaa coming back is not something I look forward to. Too much complaining about everything.

PS:

People going for Bifrost after this update are going to have a harder time since the drop rate of unidentified dyes will be dropping. I guess they will have to rely on converting all laurels to Dyes.

leng jai

Don't worry Uncle Kos. If the update means you can just dual wield skins for free that'll probably kill my motivation to ever come back at all.

Your baiting is horrendously unimaginative by the way.

Vyrance

Ordered a new modem/router to replace Comcast's shitty gateway all-in-one thing, I'm assuming that's the problem with my disconnects. Apparently gateways just aren't that good. Ordered the Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 modem and the ASUS RT-N66U router. They're supposed to be good so hopefully it fixes my connectivity issues.

Oh, and if they get rid of the Queensdale train, I have a fear that those people will come destroy the peaceful Frostgorge one :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't worry Uncle Kos. If the update means you can just dual wield skins for free that'll probably kill my motivation to ever come back at all.

Your baiting is horrendously unimaginative by the way.
I'm sure it means that, based on the corresponding official forum rage about it

Hope the new router sorts out your issues Vyrance

Mxrz

I was wrong, but in a good way. Skin unlocks seem great. But maybe they'll make it up on the transmutation costs? Dunno. Its all good. I'm not sure if the skins I want will go up in price or down really. But it feels like I should jump in now.

Dye changes are good too. I held out a little hope that we would get an unidentified dye of the same rarity as the duplicate, but that was always a longshot. It is what it is, and having access to everything probably makes up for all those Celestials and midnight ices.

Oh, and if they get rid of the Queensdale train, I have a fear that those people will come destroy the peaceful Frostgorge one :(

I was finishing up world completion just a minute ago in Queensdale, and yelling at them to go to frostgorge. They seemed. . . resistant to the idea.

markot

Banned
Whys it matter where the choo choo train is?

And I expect alot more transmtations to take place to thereforely make up for the difference skin wise.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Offseason Event #1 - Hunting the Little-known Dailies - Tues. 3/25 at 8:00PM EDT

Just a reminder about our world-traipsing guild event tonight! I wanted to give anyone who hasn't seen some of the lesser-known World Events that offer daily rares a chance to scope them out. These include:
  • Flame Temple Tombs
  • Ogre Wars
  • Zho'Qafa Catacombs
  • Taidha Covington
  • The Megadestroyer
Taidha, Ogre Wars and MegaD have been less obscure in 2014 thanks to Vyrance's stalwart boss train among other things, but they're still relatively low-profile and I know that many of us at least don't do them a majority of the days we play.

This won't be a huge time investment or anything. We can meet up with SBI for the timer based ones as they occur and just launch the others on our own. If we're making good time, we could even do Gates of Arah, which isn't actually a daily rare event but is quite cool and offers good loot.

Be there!

Arcteryx

Whys it matter where the choo choo train is?

And I expect alot more transmtations to take place to thereforely make up for the difference skin wise.

Most definitely.

The new system won't be any different with respect to how you "consume" a transmute charge, however, it won't mean LOSING a skin(aside from a splitter) in the process. AKA: people won't be as "afraid" to willy-nilly transmute stuff anymore if the process is no longer "destructive".

That said, I'm curious what use splitters will have, if skins will be automagically given based upon the "one transmute level" rule. Why would you split when you can simply apply a new skin? I assume it will be phased out much like trait reset items will be.

I'm kind of surprised they included Legendaries in the wardrobe. Bit ridiculous for people who made multiple versions of the same one. They should get some compensation system going for that.
Incoming official forum rage from thieves and eles with dual Incinerators in -1, -2, -3...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Most definitely.

The new system won't be any different with respect to how you "consume" a transmute charge, however, it won't mean LOSING a skin(aside from a splitter) in the process. AKA: people won't be as "afraid" to willy-nilly transmute stuff anymore if the process is no longer "destructive".

That said, I'm curious what use splitters will have, if skins will be automagically given based upon the "one transmute level" rule. Why would you split when you can simply apply a new skin? I assume it will be phased out much like trait reset items will be.
And transmutation stones and crystals, of course. The only relevant item that remains is really the upgrade extractor, which seems just fine to me.

Trey

Incoming official forum rage from thieves and eles with dual Incinerators in -1, -2, -3...

You can change your stats. You still have the ultimate functionality of a legendary.

But then I normally find it hard to empathize with complaining about a reduction of tedium.

hythloday

What's that up there in the sky? It's a bird, it's a plane!

No wait it's just my enjoyment of GW2 soaring. The wardrobe is great.

I really, really wonder what the rest of these blogs are gonna be about. There are Anticipationspren all over the place right now.
Brandon Sanderson fans will get that.

Proven

You can change your stats. You still have the ultimate functionality of a legendary.

But then I normally find it hard to empathize with complaining about a reduction of tedium.

My need to post shattered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom