• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

So just to clarify:

With the new wardrobe system, you can apply *any* skin in the game from the tab in your bank, right?

Race and Weight class restrictions still apply. You can't give your Charr Warrior Norn light cultural armor. Beyond that, I believe everything is on the table. They could theoretically restrict the Orders armors, but I see no reason why they would.

Ceres

Banned
So that's why there are people announcing champions up in every zone I've created a character so far... Interesting.

And humans are the most popular race? Man, that's kinda sad. Any site where i can see the race/class spread?

It somewhat depends what is getting called out. I think all but Charr have an easy world boss on their starting map. Sylvaria have Wurm, Norn have Maw, Humans have Shadow Behemoth, Asura have Fire Ele. The Charr one is a series of events called Ogre Wars that takes time to start and complete so it wasn't a popular event for awhile but its done more often now.
These give UI and boss chests that can give rare/exotic drops starting at lvl 39. So they're usually announced on map when the event starts. Plus these are things that usually happen once every 1-2 hrs on a single map and people can only get the chests once a day. Not just a constant loop like the queensdale train. The trains don't exist on other maps I think mainly because of how easy the queensdale ones are and none of them require events to activate.

I thought Ogre Wars was in a lvl 30-ish zone?

Also.. too bad about the weight restriction. I'd love to have some of the Elementalist gem store stuff on my Thief.

Lunar15

Edit: Double post.

Pretty small article. Nice that guilds are getting some extra management tools, as now removing inactive players will be easier and safer.

Everything else is just sort of 'meh'.

Hopefully there's more than just what they mentioned coming; It would be nice if there were guild Doritos and such.

Hmm, perhaps the "facilitating friendly play" updates will include info on commander tags.

Ceres

Banned

Also.. too bad about the weight restriction. I'd love to have some of the Elementalist gem store stuff on my Thief.

Oops. Mixing my maps up. Guess Charr starter zone doesn't have a big world boss. The funny thing is Ashford has the most champs but they're spread out across a lot of WPs.

Retro

I dunno, this seems like the right place to mention guild and group stuff. The "Friendly Play" article being large enough to split up over three days makes me think it's something bigger.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Getting a "last online" tab definitely will help, but it doesn't matter much to anyone but guild leaders.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
LFG tool out of beta, told ya!

Last login date for guild members is great though, FEAR THE CULL

I believe Fields of Ruin is 40-50.

Proven

There is an Ogre event chain in the southeast of Plains of Ashford that involves you taking out the leader of a small tribe, but it doesn't lead to a world boss and isn't as meaty as the Ogre Wars meta event in Fields of Ruin. There are also the multitude of event chains related to the ghosts in northeast Ashford. And during the beta there was that super difficult Flame Legion boss not too far from the Black Citadel entrance that leaves me a little disappointed over the fact that it was toned down instead of retooled into a World Boss.

I stand corrected.

There is an Ogre event chain in the southeast of Plains of Ashford that involves you taking out the leader of a small tribe, but it doesn't lead to a world boss and isn't as meaty as the Ogre Wars meta event in Fields of Ruin. There are also the multitude of event chains related to the ghosts in northeast Ashford. And during the beta there was that super difficult Flame Legion boss not too far from the Black Citadel entrance that leaves me a little disappointed over the fact that it was toned down instead of retooled into a World Boss.

Never knew about the ogre chain event there. Maybe I should check it out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Never knew about the ogre chain event there. Maybe I should check it out.
Stonecrag Kraal! I've soloed that chain. Fun challenge, though it took a while :D

Zeroth

I had to get the point of interest there, so I had to do the chain to have access to the Kraal. Thing is, it's very possible (as I found out 4 times) to lock the chain to repeat itself after you kill all the ogres coming for the soldiers and before you can attack the gate. It wasn't pretty.

So, guild related question... I'm still trying to find a favoured class, and while trying out an Ele, asked Retro for an invite, which he gladly gave. After that, i parked the ele and am currently trying out a thief, which has been far more enjoyable so far.

Thing is, when i open the guild tab, it seems that the thief is already in the guild? I then approached the guild armor vendor to see what he had, and he told me to join one, so... what gives?

Additionally, do people not tend to chat via text in gchat?

Ceres

Banned
So, guild related question... I'm still trying to find a favoured class, and while trying out an Ele, asked Retro for an invite, which he gladly gave. After that, i parked the ele and am currently trying out a thief, which has been far more enjoyable so far.

Thing is, when i open the guild tab, it seems that the thief is already in the guild? I then approached the guild armor vendor to see what he had, and he told me to join one, so... what gives?

Additionally, do people not tend to chat via text in gchat?

We use the guild chat plenty but depending the time of day or what people are doing, it might not be as busy. However, each character in GW2 can represent their own guild. So when you create a new character, you need to actually go into the Guild window (G) and click Represent. It won't automatically rep on new characters. Additionally, when you switch between characters, you will lose guild chat history (but not say or map chat history). This seems to be because of the multi-repping system of characters.

Moondrop

Banned
All characters on your account are "in" the guild, but you have to "represent" GAF for each new character. It's a button at the bottom. '

Regarding your second question, there's a fair amount of guild chat but there's also a guild mumble server.

Ah, many thanks. Gods, the way Anet went out of its way to fix so many MMO crutches really is impressive. No wonder you gents get frustrated when people start bashing the game.

Retro

I may or may not be getting sick. Sore throat and achy all over, but nothing else has happened yet. Blarg.

30-40

We gonna rip the guild up

No we're not.

Seriously, we can probably get the guild list down to < 80 active players. Then we don't need to worry about culling until GW3.

We did a culling of everyone who hadn't played since Summer, and we ended up with only about 90 people being cut. Most people do wander in and play about once a month.

Looks like I made it to the next round. Big interview on Monday afternoon. :O

Good luck, just remember that they're people and gamers too. They're your people =p

Ah, many thanks. Gods, the way Anet went out of its way to fix so many MMO crutches really is impressive. No wonder you gents get frustrated when people start bashing the game.

One of us, one of us, gooble gobble gooble gobble.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I may or may not be getting sick. Sore throat and achy all over, but nothing else has happened yet. Blarg.
feel better man
Must be a faulty capacitor
No we're not.
imma cull you bro
This is a really nice sentiment to see from a new player.

GW2 has major flaws, even massive flaws, but it does so much right from the ground up.. the malcontent factor does get exhausting sometimes. But it's par for the course to say the least.

If you have any questions about the best class (Thief), feel free to ask! :D

edit: Oh and don't worry about Kos he is terrible.

Lunar15

I can bitch and moan about the game's problems, but damn if the game isn't one of the best games I've played. Seriously, I played it longer than any game I've ever played before. Of course, part of that is due to GAF Guild, which was really pretty excellent. But stuff like Fractals, the dungeons, some of the living story events, and just the world design in general is top-tier gaming.

I think I get upset because I expect more out of it, since it's so good in so many areas. I feel like in other games it's not even worth moaning about because I know the designers won't fix it. There's actually a weird temptation to complain when you know the creators are listening. It's kind of inverse to how it should be, but it's how it is.

Trey

I can bitch and moan about the game's problems, but damn if the game isn't one of the best games I've played. Seriously, I played it longer than any game I've ever played before. Of course, part of that is due to GAF Guild, which was really pretty excellent. But stuff like Fractals, the dungeons, some of the living story events, and just the world design in general is top-tier gaming.

I think I get upset because I expect more out of it, since it's so good in so many areas. I feel like in other games it's not even worth moaning about because I know the designers won't fix it. There's actually a weird temptation to complain when you know the creators are listening. It's kind of inverse to how it should be, but it's how it is.

Exactly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I played it longer than any game I've ever played before.
In terms of total hours played, previously the record was held by GW1. In quite a bit less real-world time since release I've surpassed it by a couple hundred hours.

Of all the games I've ever played, Guild Wars 2 is the closest to the one I'd make if I just had free reign to make one myself. There are certainly aspects of it that feel as though they were ripped from my brain, like how the game controls with a pad even though it doesn't support it natively. The things I don't like about it or want to see improved just sort of fade into the background, and then you get stuff like this Feature Pack where a bunch of stuff I want is just coming, without having to pay any more money... *shrug* I don't know how not to sound like I'm trying to sell the game. It's that good.
There's actually a weird temptation to complain when you know the creators are listening.
Huhhhh.... reading this sentence actually gave me some perspective.

I don't find myself complaining too much about this game on this forum, or on the official forums, or even in guild chat really.

But it would be patently false to say I don't complain about it at all. Most of my complaints have been voiced to developers and project directors that work on the game. Directly. In conversations.

That shit isn't normal. But it's happened, certainly over a dozen times at this point. You're goddamn right I know the creators are listening... I've spoken to them. I don't have any similar experiences with devs from other companies, where they took enough genuine interest to just essentially have casual chats about the issues with and future direction of their game, one-on-one with players. No one could come within a country mile of convincing me that ArenaNet doesn't care about its players or its game- yet you don't have to look far to see that exact accusation. I realized how close I am to taking the experience for granted.

So you're absolutely right about that temptation to complain, and it's an important one. I've done it, and I need to keep in mind how much of a luxury it is to have done it in the way I have. Most players voicing their frustrations will never get that chance, and no matter how much their gripes might seem illegitimate or inappropriate to me, they're coming from the same place I know firsthand that ArenaNet is: a genuine desire to improve a game they love.

Levito

Banned
Race and Weight class restrictions still apply. You can't give your Charr Warrior Norn light cultural armor. Beyond that, I believe everything is on the table. They could theoretically restrict the Orders armors, but I see no reason why they would.

People always joke about how endgame is just "collect X skin", but now--you don't even need to do that! :p

Retro

If you have any questions about the best class (Thief), feel free to ask! :D

I would normally say something like "You have a funny way of spelling Warrior" or "Silly Hawk, that's not how you spell Engineer", but the trust is, I actually like just about every class in this game. In other MMOs, I've outright hated some classes (I usually cannot stand pet classes and generally do not like casters), and I came into GW2 expecting to feel the same. The only one the vote is still out on is Necromancer, and that's just because I've been in an Engineer-kinda mood lately.

But it would be patently false to say I don't complain about it at all. Most of my complaints have been voiced to developers and project directors that work on the game. Directly. In conversations.

I want to say this is because we're the GAF guild and GAF has a reputation as gamers, but it's not. I've bumped into a half-dozen developers after they've dropped their tag and they're in multiple guilds, even ones I thought were too small to really merit a dev hanging out in them. We have our guild developers, and they chat with us all the time, but other guilds have other developers and I imagine they make a decision how open they want to be about it. I know a few who *never* throw up their ANet tag and want to just play without being bothered, and I know a few who are happy to kick their tag on and just hang out and chat with folks (you can spot PVP devs in the Heart of the Mists on a pretty consistent basis).

It could be an SBI thing, maybe it's the unofficial Dev server or something, but I don't think that's true either. I think they're just out there, everywhere, talking to people whether they know it's a dev or not.

I just know when I get in-game and the damn Game Director is taking the words out of my mouth about things like the Queensdale Train being toxic, or Shadow Behemoth having a short lifespan and needing a revamp, asking us what we think of new features or what we dislike about encounters... I get the warm and fuzzies in a way the cold, hide-behind-a-forum-name-even-though-we-all-know-who-they-are approach other devs take never could. Hell, we've run dungeons with the people who built them, and they were more than happy to say what they got right or wrong or want to change in the future. Like you say, that's not normal.

I don't know if other developers are so open with the other guilds they're in. I think part of it is that GAF has always been respectful, to let them just play the damn game when they want to and not grill them for info or whine at them. The devs are open with us because we don't abuse the access they've provided to us.

People always joke about how endgame is just "collect X skin", but now--you don't even need to do that! :p

Says you! Do you know how much gold I'm going to drop filling in my wardrobe? Probably almost as much as I've spent filling in my dye collection the last couple weeks. Luckily, doing dungeons to get tokens for some of those skins is also a good way to get more gold.

The biggest casualty of the Feature Patch will be my Pimp Suit.

RIP Pimp Suit.

jYIgotB.jpg

Do not listen to all this lovydovy crap about how nice the guild is. They are very mean and always pick on me. Especially aboot where I from. Every time I'm online I'm aboot to cry because of how mean they are.

Aww. Errybody knows canadians are the bestest, even if you talk funny and smell. Now gimme dat poutine.

/was part of a canadian wow guild from 2005 to 2007.

Jira

Ugh, get all of this sappy maple syrup crap out of here.

So today's blog was small and was sort of disappointing, however, some much needed features/fixes are coming so I can't be too disappointed. NOW, tomorrow on the other hand should be quite nice indeed.

markot

Banned
You know what bug really bugs me hahahaa.

When Asura swim on the top of the water, the larger modeled asuras, as in ones you make 'bigger' during character creation, have most of their body above the water, so it looks weird. But when you have a 'small' asura, it swims normally.

jersoc

havent been playign cause of diablo 3 and nothing really going on in gw2.

but damn the wardrobe system is slick. now i can finally use all those items i've acquired but never xmuted on anything.

CoffeeMan

In terms of total hours played, previously the record was held by GW1. In quite a bit less real-world time since release I've surpassed it by a couple hundred hours.

The game I had the most hours in was Guild Wars 1(~1100h), Which I beat in GW2 within the first year. I am now at a bit over 1600h

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom