• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offseason Event #1 - Hunting the Little-known Dailies - Tues. 3/25 at 8:00PM EDT

Just a reminder about our world-traipsing guild event tonight! I wanted to give anyone who hasn't seen some of the lesser-known World Events that offer daily rares a chance to scope them out. These include:
  • Flame Temple Tombs
  • Ogre Wars
  • Zho'Qafa Catacombs
  • Taidha Covington
  • The Megadestroyer
Taidha, Ogre Wars and MegaD have been less obscure in 2014 thanks to Vyrance's stalwart boss train among other things, but they're still relatively low-profile and I know that many of us at least don't do them a majority of the days we play.

This won't be a huge time investment or anything. We can meet up with SBI for the timer based ones as they occur and just launch the others on our own. If we're making good time, we could even do Gates of Arah, which isn't actually a daily rare event but is quite cool and offers good loot.

Be there!

I'll be there. Do not start without me.

leng jai

You can change your stats. You still have the ultimate functionality of a legendary.

But then I normally find it hard to empathize with complaining about a reduction of tedium.

I was waiting for someone to say this. I love how it implies that changing stats on the fly is the ultimate function of a legendary and not the looks. I'm sure a lot of people spent all those hours making theirs so they can swap from zerkers to knights at will. I have two Infinite Lights which don't even have that ability either.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
Got 2 weeks paid off work since i fucked up my leg. Need something to keep me busy for a while. Is this game still worth it? I played WoW and FFXIV. Loved it. I also played Tera and KOTOR. Hated them. Anyways just really want to know if the game is active. Should I just go back to WoW and FFXIV.

Ashodin

If any of your characters are wearing or own any piece of an armor set (such as the Profane armor set or the Magitech armor set), all of the remaining pieces will be unlocked in your Wardrobe in addition to any pieces currently on your character or in your inventory.

awww_yeah-jpg.3124

I have the original heavy Armor, and I fuckin deleted two pieces by accident back in the day. Now I have ALL OF THEM

Most pieces sold separately, such as the Fuzzy Animal Hats or Phantom Hood, will become armor skins for the appropriate slot, usable by a character that wears armor of any type.

Fuck, that means glasses are in. WE IN THIS

What’s happening to town clothes with the April 2104 Feature Build?

tee hee

Lunar15

I will say that one thing I wanted that it doesn't seem like they're doing is having some way to save armor/dye sets.

I know that's shooting for the moon, so I'm happy with what I got.

Anno

This game still worth playing or not?.

Won't find many here who will say no. GAF has been a great guild since pre-launch and many of us are still here and going strong. It's a great time to get into the game, too, with an upcoming patch of expansion-like features before the next season of story content and world vs. world play begin.

It doesn't have the vertical raid and item progression of WoW and FFXII/XIV, so if you need that then there might be better choices. But if you just want a fun game with tons of
stuff to do and an awesome guild this is a great option.

xeris

This game still worth playing or not?.

Yup. Guild most nights has around 20 people on. More on event nights and such. Server population seems stable at a reasonable number other than maybe world v world since a new season is starting soon and there's some flux with that.

Jira

ANet, I love you! FINALLY a wardrobe system oh my god and it's a better implementation than I thought it would be. Also, dem account bound dyes.

Trey

I was waiting for someone to say this. I love how it implies that changing stats on the fly is the ultimate function of a legendary and not the looks. I'm sure a lot of people spent all those hours making theirs so they can swap from zerkers to knights at will. I have two Infinite Lights which don't even have that ability either.

It's an argument for why those who grinded out duplicate legendary weapons still have exception. All the work it took for anyone who went down this completely optional path still has value.

And the legendary's stat changing capability is its ultimate function. While most people want it for the stature, its functionality as a weapon is best in game.

Dreavus

Glad they did what they did with the wardrobe. I always thought that bought skins should work like the achievement/heritage ones and let you use them as much as you want. Now it looks like that's happening for ALL armor skins. Super awesome.

Got 2 weeks paid off work since i fucked up my leg. Need something to keep me busy for a while. Is this game still worth it? I played WoW and FFXIV. Loved it. I also played Tera and KOTOR. Hated them. Anyways just really want to know if the game is active. Should I just go back to WoW and FFXIV.

Still very worth it. More active than ever. Better than WoW and FFXIV combined*.

*my opinion anyway

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The game and GAF guild are very active; however, you will not get anything really remotely similar from it as you would from WoW or FFXIV. It really depends what you are looking for. If you have any specific questions along the lines of "Does GW2 have ____?" then feel free to ask here. :)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Was finally going to start this tonight until I got to the character creation. They give you a crap ton of options, it's pretty crazy. Not used to this kind of customization options in my MMOs. Gonna need to take some time to go through it all since character creation is the most difficult part of MMOs.

How fun is it to level?
How is PVP?

Leveling is arguably the easiest part of the game, with the most content geared towards it. Your Personal Story is the main magnet pulling you through zones and up levels fast. Exploring those zones, doing Renown Hearts along the way, finding Vistas, harvesting, etc, all give even more experience. Leveling fast is almost unavoidable. The zones in themselves can be interesting (personal tastes has a big impact here, naturally).

PvP needs a bit of work in terms of the structure around it - right now it's a glorified multiplayer client with very rudimentary hotjoin matches for fun or tournaments for slightly more rewarding fun. But the core game loop in multiplayer I think is solid, though the upcoming trait changes in April will mix things up. When you go into PvP, it's like a second character - you're made level 80 automatically, it's a second skill/weapon/armour loadout different from PvE, and buying armour/weapons is free, but only usable in the PvP area.

WvW is the 2nd PvP mode, which uses your character from PvE, and is a much larger, objective based, three-way brawl between three servers, with up to 150 players per map. That can be a riot and a lot of fun, but a lot of servers/people do take it too seriously. Going to be very dependent on the server you join, and how much you personally like it.

Complistic

The biography questions are largely used for what missions your character will play through for the first third or so of your branching personal story. Hope that helps.

Grayman

Considering I have tabs for all of my characters' costume gear, plus an entire tab for holiday skins I'm just sitting on until I want to use them... Jesus, I'll end up with like 6 or 7 empty tabs.

I have no idea what I will put in them.

I'm flattered that any time someone makes a large post, it's "Retro-tier".

Dropped down to 52s now, but people are still at work. And that's also a good 20s higher than they were last night.

Unidentified Dyes won't drop anymore, but you can still get them with Laurels and Crafting. I think the goal is to make dyes feel more 'special'. The secondary market will still be the prime place to fill out your collection, if you ask me.

I dunno if straight up identified dyes will drop. I don't see why they would.

A certain someone was online this morning and mentioned that Town clothes are basically being eliminated. In their place are outfits (which can be worn in combat, but can no longer be mixed and match) and the rest are rolled into Endless Tonics (which cannot be used in combat, obviously).

finding a unidentified dye made loot feel special. now oranges will be the only loot i even look at!

Yaska

Been wondering about few things; How to get more transmutation charges ( are they paywalled with gems?, the Buy more button in hero panel looks to point this way), and if the Gift of Colour will be behind Laurels (unidentified dyes) from now on, making some legendaries a lot more expensive.

Mxrz

Finally got a Fractal skin, but its a bleeding staff. Sometimes I think RNG is an actual person, and he's a real dick.

Retro

Been wondering about few things; How to get more transmutation charges ( are they paywalled with gems?, the Buy more button in hero panel looks to point this way), and if the Gift of Colour will be behind Laurels (unidentified dyes) from now on, making some legendaries a lot more expensive.

1. Transmutation has always had a gem store component, but they're also given out as a reward for dailies (rarely) and map completion. I don't think I transmute my armor any more or less than the average player and I always seem to have plenty.

2. They are changing the components for gift of color to compensate for the changes.

Edit: I'm home now so here's the link on the Gift of Color change. It will only require 100 dyes: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Dye-Changes-Feedback-Questions/page/8#post3811742

Lunar15

Why do people hate the queensdale train so much?

Who cares?

It hasn't bothered me personally, but people dislike that it's in the starting zone, and it shows people a really rough side of the community right at the start. Rude people in starter zones, basically.

Retro

It basically drained the other zones of life by making it so much faster and better in terms of loot to just do the train then to do pretty much any other events.

I wouldn't consider the population of other zones to be a problem at all (well, it is a problem, but not one exclusive to GW2, and not because of the train). As Lunar said, it's the location of the train, not the train itself. You literally cannot stop a certain subset of the community from actively seeking out the path of least resistance; no matter how boring it is, that's just all they want. There's no way to stop that.

The problem is that humans are the most popular race, which means Queensdale is the most popular starting zone, which means for the majority of players their introduction to Guild Wars 2 is in Queensdale. First impressions are everything, and right now the train gives people the impression that Guild Wars 2 is just farming champions until you're ready to move to the next zone. I've seen it at least twice now where someone will wander into Kessex and ask "Where's the train?", not understanding that 99% of the game just doesn't work like that.

The Queensdale Train also behaves very badly, which is in direct contrast with the rest of the game that has such a strong, friendly community. The constant, entitled whining about people 'sniping' their kills (as if they own them), going out of order, etc. leaves new players with a bad taste in their mouth.

If it were in Frostgorge, or Orr, or anywhere else where players won't accidentally bump into it and have it warp their impression of the game, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Hell, the Frostgorge train is a thing, but it behaves (the mobs are harder so it's not completely mindless, which leads to people getting chatty) and new players don't encounter it until much later. Nobody cares about the Frostgorge train because it's not setting a bad example.

Lunar15

And it just so happens to be in the starting zone most chosen by new players. Humans are always the most popular race in video games.

It's mind boggling to me that they haven't nerfed it by this point. They've nerfed other trains before, so it's just kinda strange that they've let this one go on as long as it has.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Queensdale used to be a pretty good introduction to the world/community for players choosing the most popular race. Now the zone is about the train. It just doesn't belong in newbie areas, I have literally no problems with it from a conceptual standpoint.

Retro

Come on ANet, where's my blog post =(

And it just so happens to be in the starting zone most chosen by new players. Humans are always the most popular race in video games.

It's mind boggling to me that they haven't nerfed it by this point. They've nerfed other trains before, so it's just kinda strange that they've let this one go on as long as it has.

It's coming. The devs dislike it more than we do, probably because they're privy to the data that shows exactly how toxic it is to the game's population. They make no secret of their displeasure, at least.

So that's why there are people announcing champions up in every zone I've created a character so far... Interesting.

And humans are the most popular race? Man, that's kinda sad. Any site where i can see the race/class spread?

One of the three posts next week is about 'Facilitating Friendly Play' - I'm so confident that at least one of those posts will directly address the Queensdale Train (as in talk about changes that will obliterate it) that I will give away a Mini Tybalt next week at Guild Missions if I am wrong.

Lunar15

Come on ANet, where's my blog post =(

It's coming. The devs dislike it more than we do, probably because they're privy to the data that shows exactly how toxic it is to the game's population. They make no secret of their displeasure, at least.

But why wait? I feel like it's a pretty easy nerf, but then again, I'm no game designer.

Hyunashi

So the new wardrobe thing has got my blood boiling and I cant contain my excitement. Havent felt this way since launch actually, enough to cancel my sub from WoW. My alts are finally going to be beautiful.

Needa ask, does anyone know if I can make Eternity if I use a transmutation splitter on a Sunrise/Twilight could I combine them to make it on a singular character? (I have sunrise on war and twilight on guard). Im asking because it seems that all 3 skins would be unlocked regardless.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Holy ****, account bound dyes too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So that's why there are people announcing champions up in every zone I've created a character so far... Interesting.
Sort of. Champions are pretty rewarding because of a guaranteed loot bag drop, and are often very tough to take down alone. So it's common to announce one in map chat to get assistance/offer the kill to others in the zone as you come across them, and there are champions in every zone. The only zones with "trains," where you continuously waypoint along a known optimal pathway of Champions to keep killing them as they respawn, are Queendale and Frostgorge Sound
And humans are the most popular race? Man, that's kinda sad. Any site where i can see the race/class spread?
By far. I don't think a recent one has been done, but this is year one:
tWyVuvf.png

Needa ask, does anyone know if I can make Eternity if I use a transmutation splitter on a Sunrise/Twilight could I combine them to make it on a singular character? (I have sunrise on war and twilight on guard). Im asking because it seems that all 3 skins would be unlocked regardless.
Not quite sure what you're attempting to get at- I think you could just combine the sunrise and twilight with the mystic forge recipe, no transmutation splitting required? Unless, you mean that they've already been transmuted for some reason and need to get the original "true" legendaries back?

Lunar15

Yeah, I've got no problem with champ trains. The game is basically built for it at this point. It's just the rude behavior coming out of a starting zone that isn't super great.

Also, I'd love to see that list updated for 2013/2014. It always blows my mind that Warrior and Ranger are 1+2. I always think Ele and Guardian are going to be tops.

Hyunashi

Not quite sure what you're attempting to get at- I think you could just combine the sunrise and twilight with the mystic forge recipe, no transmutation splitting required? Unless, you mean that they've already been transmuted for some reason and need to get the original "true" legendaries back?

No, um I have the legendary's on 2 different characters. I was wondering if I could transmute either Sunrise/Twilight onto a white, then use a splitter on the other character. So essentially could I forge them into Eternity or do I needa make another sunrise/twilight?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also, I'd love to see that list updated for 2013/2014. It always blows my mind that Warrior and Ranger are 1+2. I always think Ele and Guardian are going to be tops.
The class distribution is really remarkably even. You can't hope for much better than that.

Retro

They had an infographic up around the one year anniversary, which you can view here. Humans are first at 36%, Norn at 19%, Asura at 16%, Sylvari at 15% and Charr at 13%.

As far as announcing Champions go, I actually really enjoy Vyrance's World Event train. It's always very light-hearted (the fact that a GAFer runs it almost assures that), good money and he makes a point of going off the beaten trail for stuff like Orr Temples and some of the rarer events. The train also stops, which is an important part the Queensdale train fails to remember.

One of the three posts next week is about 'Facilitating Friendly Play' - I'm so confident that at least one of those posts will directly address the Queensdale Train (as in talk about changes that will obliterate it) that I will give away a Mini Tybalt next week at Guild Missions if I am wrong.

It being a three-part blog, I'm 99.9% sure it will be about something a bit bigger than the Queensdale train.

No, um I have the legendary's on 2 different characters. I was wondering if I could transmute either Sunrise/Twilight onto a white, then use a splitter on the other character. So essentially could I forge them into Eternity or do I needa make another sunrise/twilight?

Thursday has two blog articles, "Removing Restrictions" and "Account-Bound". Those both sound like they might answer your question clearly, since right now we only have the Wardrobe and Dye pieces of the puzzle. They've been carefully sidestepping weapons, even though they have a tab on the wardrobe page.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Forgive my ignorance on this subject but why does the soulbinding matter for crafting eternity? Will items like that not even come out of your bank?

If that's the case then you pick one or the other and do what you just said, transmute onto a white, bank, retrieve, split.

@above- agreed, I'd wait for those blog posts Retro mentioned before anything. You never know

Retro

I wonder if Unidentified Dye price will go up or down.

It's come down a little since yesterday, but it's still high (47s, which is about 15s higher than it was before the announcement). However, on the 15th everyone with duplicate dyes will have an influx of them to sell, flooding the market. Prices should drop back down to the 30-20s range, I would guess. Some people will try to burn them for a chance at rare dyes, so the identified dye market will have an influx too, driving those prices down as well. At least, in theory. I'm not an economist or anything.

The class distribution is really remarkably even. You can't hope for much better than that.

Bullshit. Less Bookahs, more Engineers.

Hyunashi

They had an infographic up around the one year anniversary, which you can view here. Humans are first at 36%, Norn at 19%, Asura at 16%, Sylvari at 15% and Charr at 13%.

As far as announcing Champions go, I actually really enjoy Vyrance's World Event train. It's always very light-hearted (the fact that a GAFer runs it almost assures that), good money and he makes a point of going off the beaten trail for stuff like Orr Temples and some of the rarer events. The train also stops, which is an important part the Queensdale train fails to remember.

It being a three-part blog, I'm 99.9% sure it will be about something a bit bigger than the Queensdale train.

Thursday has two blog articles, "Removing Restrictions" and "Account-Bound". Those both sound like they might answer your question clearly, since right now we only have the Wardrobe and Dye pieces of the puzzle. They've been carefully sidestepping weapons, even though they have a tab on the wardrobe page.

Ahhh k, should be interesting thanks.

Levyne

Banned
You can use the splitter/white item to move legendaries from character to character, yes.

Edit: But yeah, see what is in store for bound items before you do that.

Retro

Edit: It's up! https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/social-play-improvements/

Social Play Improvements
As part of this upcoming feature pack, we’ve been working on community-focused improvements to a few of our core systems.I wanted to take the time to point out just a few of these highly requested features before they come out on April 15.

First, guild leaders who have wanted a little extra help with managing membership will be pleased to learn that you’ll now be able to see the last login date for guild members.

We’ve added some additional support the Looking For Group (LFG) system. You’ll now be able to filter your searches through the WvW category if you’re looking for some fellow Mist warriors. To support this, we’ve added a separate channel for each of the three Borderlands, the Eternal Battlegrounds and the new Edge of the Mist map.

Separately, to assist with multi-language servers you will now be able to specify which main language the group will be using. This should help groups organize better and find players who can understand each other.

Finally, we’ve improved the support for guild members in the system and made some improvements on the back end to reduce opportunities for griefing.

These changes are just some of the ways we’re making it easier and more exciting than ever to share the world of Tyria with other players – check back tomorrow and next week to learn about more upcoming features!

Retro

Edit: Double post.

Pretty small article. Nice that guilds are getting some extra management tools, as now removing inactive players will be easier and safer.

Everything else is just sort of 'meh'.

Hopefully there's more than just what they mentioned coming; It would be nice if there were guild Doritos and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom