• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kem0sabe

Has dungeon play improved since release? thinking about coming back to the game but one of the reasons i left at the start was that dungeons were little more than corpse running to bosses with little strategy involved.

CoffeeMan

Has dungeon play improved since release? thinking about coming back to the game but one of the reasons i left at the start was that dungeons were little more than corpse running to bosses with little strategy involved.

Well they did some balance patch on dungeons, also removed corpse running. You can't res until your party is out of combat (or all dead)

swnny

Well, everything in the game have improved since release.
All dungeons (including fractals) got their rewards reworked (depending on the difficulty of the path, they reward differently), some paths were changed as well, as new paths were added.

Yes, there are still some dungeon paths that are mindless skill spamming and others that are easily exploitable, but overall they all feel and play better then a year ago.

Lunar15

They've focused on this since release, but mainly in the new dungeons that were part of the living story. Although those are gone, you can replay smaller versions of them in the Fractals.

Either way, stick around and Anet's sure to drop a really awesome dungeon on us soon. All of their post release dungeons have been nonsensically good. Fractals are also at a really good point too, and since they removed corpse running, all the dungeons are much better and require more strategy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My major complaints with dungeons (corpse-running, unwieldy currency stacks, low gold acquisition over time) have all been resolved and a number of paths have been tweaked (SE1 used to be tough as diamond and is now one of the fastest daily runs), reworked (all of AC), or are completely new (TA Aetherpath).

Lunar15

It's a permanent level 80 path, yes. Some people are actually planning to run it tonight, hah... maybe I'll make it a race event if we can get more than one group together.

So Scarlet's still inside? I guess all the other dungeons are stuck in time too, so it's not that ridiculous.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Offseason Event #2 - Aetherblade Blitz - Thurs. 3/27 at 8:15PM EDT

Time to revisit Scarlet's experiment in the heart of Twilight Arbor. If we get two groups together, this will be a dungeon race event- first group to kill the boss wins (bonus event completion not necessary). Prize will be an additional 5 gold per party member to the winning team! Will be setting out upon SBI's kill of Tequatl.

The Aetherpath is a level 80 path even though Twilight Arbor is a level 50 dungeon. As such, you really need an 80 or near-80 character to stand a chance. Here are some other tips:
  • If it's your first time, I don't really recommend Berserker gear if you have something tougher in your arsenal. Nothing in there has a ton of HP, but there are lots of rapid degens and unexpected sources of quick damage. Staying up is a more valuable asset to the team than raw DPS, including at the final boss.
  • Potions of Slaying Scarlet's Armies- if you've got any left they'll do the trick in here.
  • Immobilizes, stuns, and knockbacks are incredibly helpful for the ooze maze section.
  • Steam Watchers summon more dudes unless interrupted; kill them quick.
  • Aetherkeys are made by combining any 5 Aetherkey Pieces, which drop in anywhere Maguuma. The keys are used after beating the boss and there's an achievement for unlocking the 5 chests in one run.
If my team's run doesn't go too long, I will then lead whoever is intrepid enough to follow through the Not So Secret jumping puzzle in Gendarren Fields. Kill all the Aethers!

Complistic

Damn, why can't we do something like that on the weekend when I'm not working?

I've done 2 races and both times my team has won :p

Arcteryx

As part of this change, we will convert all the existing ascended and legendary equipment that is soulbound to be account-bound instead.

USA USA USA USA

So happy! Now we can have semi-accountbound AR too, as we can now swap accessories(and like-armor) between characters.

Can we say, GW2 is now the MOST alt-friendly MMO in existence? Yes we can.

Also: FINALLY, all those damn Ascended rings in my backpack can go to alts.

Arcteryx

Can we say, GW2 is now the MOST alt-friendly MMO in existence? Yes we can.

It's definitely getting there. This change alone is a HUGE leap forward. Once you start counting WXP changes, Fractal accountbound level changes, wardrobe, etc. then yes, it definitely is one of(if not THE) best MMO currently for alt-itis. It still has room for improvement, but damn are they off to a good start with this feature patch.

Lunar15

There should definitely be a thread about the feature pack in the discussion board once all the updates have been revealed.

I'm not certain how interesting any of this stuff is to newcomers, but it sure as hell might bring some people back.

Atrophis

Next blog post is "Removing Restrictions" and with these changes I'm wondering what restrictions now remain.

If they can remove the NA to EU guesting restrictions...

Atrophis

I'm in UK so being able to play during Euro prime time without having to switch region or buy a new account would be fantastic. I don't think it will happen but a man can dream.

swnny

Next blog post is "Removing Restrictions" and with these changes I'm wonder what restrictions now remain.

If they can remove the NA to EU guesting restrictions...

Please Anet, listen to this wise man!
Bring back the glory of GW1's unified server structure!

I learned something new today.

I needed one more Group Event to finish yesterday's dailies, and was playing my lowbie Thief. I went to Queensdale and into the Troll Cave, where the stone was ready to be triggered.

The "train", according to map chat, had just finished Oak and was on the way to Boar. I didn't have any Waypoints on that half of the map, and didn't feel like waiting the ten minutes for them to finish their stuff so I could be "allowed" to trigger Troll.

So I triggered the Troll, and realized I'm a level 15 thief, all alone, in the troll cave. I ran like the wind out into the cow fields outside the cave, and kept my distance from the troll, thinking he'd tether back into the cave.

Then I discovered, he's scripted to do stuff! He smashed through the wall surrounding the pasture, made havok with the cows, went across the river to harass the NPCs there (one even shouted "TROLL!" and ran off to the settlement to the south). The troll kept killing cows in the field, breaking the walls to the farm to the west (I didn't even know those walls could be broken), and due to several overlapping event chains at the same time (protect the bee hives, defend the farm), suddenly the area was... alive. The troll is SUPPOSED to be triggered by an unsuspecting lowbie, who then either dies or runs off, leaving the Troll a dynamic moving event in the fields.

Eventually a few randoms wandered by, newbies I thought (no star, low level, not being downlevelled, no achievement gear looks), and started attacking the troll. I ran in to help, and a handful of us, no more than five, had a great fight, reviving each other, taking aggro to give the others a change to revive, and so on.

After the fight, someone typed in /say "Oh my god, that was awesome!", and ran off to do the Bandit skillpoint nearby, asking if anyone could help them with it.

The train rocked up, saw the Troll was dead, and started whispering me expletives and raging in map-chat with some serious cursing. Someone must have seen I triggered the troll, and I got a lot of mail and whispers to the effect of "please die <racial/gender slur>", "hope you get cancer", "stop ruining the game you selfish <expletive>", and so on.

And I could not care less, because someone new to the game had a great time, and that matters way more than the train's selfish needs.

I realize it was my own "selfish needs" that made me trigger the Troll "early", if you look at it from the train's perspective. But screw that noise.

CoffeeMan

We should organise a group to go mess up the train sometime for shits and giggles.

We do this often with our guild :p

Each time Group Events or Champions are in the dailies, we'll go in Queensdale, ask for the zerg, and go kill another one.

Trolling at it's finest

I would've reported every. single. harassing. statement. Even if only for the off chance that they get suspended and complain on the forums about it, only to be publicly outed as harassing a player who simply played the game.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
We should organise a group to go mess up the train sometime for shits and giggles.

My first thought.

Miktar's story is pretty awesome - there's something awesome about helping other folks enjoy something in a way that even experienced players may not have seen before.

I would've reported every. single. harassing. statement. Even if only for the off chance that they get suspended and complain on the forums about it, only to be publicly outed as harassing a player who simply played the game.

Oh, I always report people that outright verbally abuse me, especially when gender/racial slurs are used. That stuff just isn't cool, period. An MMO mapchat is a public space, like a mall. You treat it with the same kind of respect, in my opinion. There are kids around.

Of course, I once said this on reddit. I got downvoted to heck and back, and people told me to gtfo and go back to the kitchen.

Proven

Were there really two blog posts for today? I feel like they screwed up the image by adding today's blog post's name but forgetting to remove the locked name.

Just started to play game once again. Have they fixed spirits? Are these things actually useful now?
There are now 6 Spirits, 3-4 Spirits (especially the elite) make up the current top Ranger PvP build and Frost Spirit is used in the highest possible Ranger DPS Berserker PvE build.
Making Skill Points account bound?
That... would solve a few things, but not enough things. But still a decent number of things. However, if that was the case they'd probably have mentioned it in today's blog post.

I agree with others that if there's another blog post it's probably something server related.
that would kind of ruin skill unlocking on low level characters, no?
That's why they're adding stuff like the new Grandmaster challenge unlocks.

Ceres

Banned
man, people get so bent out of shape because of one missed champ bag? Guess they desperately needed that bloodstone dust and green weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom