• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
man, people get so bent out of shape because of one missed champ bag? Guess they desperately needed that bloodstone dust and green weapon.

I think people farm it for karma and experience. I've seen people go from level 1 to 80, using only the Queensdale train. On purpose.

Proven

They're farming/grinding, and as I've heard some say, it's a pleasant rhythm. That's all that many of those types of players want.

March 21st: The Art of Combat

March 21st: Critical!

March 24th: A New Way to Explore the Looks of Guild Wars 2

March 24th: A Colorful Outlook

March 26th: Looking For Group?

March 27th: Removing Restrictions

March 27th: Account-Bound

March 28th: A Solid Foundation

April 2nd: Facilitating Friendly Play

April 3rd: Facilitating Friendly Play: Part Two

April 4th: Facilitating Friendly Play: Part Three

Account Bound and Removing Restrictions are separate. This means one more blog coming today.

Event and Champion Loot

With the changes we’re making that remove some of the systems that take gold out of the economy, we need to make sure the economy remains balanced in terms of gold input as well. We’ll be reducing the amount of raw gold that comes out of champion loot bags and events in an effort to keep the economy balanced and spread out player activity a bit.

Kinda strange the whole community gets penalized because of champ trains.

Retro

I'm sorry, I don't see anything about spirits here.

Knive answered your question above.
Ignore Kos, he's in a bad mood because Canadian parliament passed a ban on stripping nude, slathering yourself in maple syrup and riding a moose through the streets. At least when it's not hockey season.

Ceres

Banned
Its too bad they just don't do a rule of diminishing returns. Keep doing the same 5 events 100x a day? Reduce the gold/xp gained each time (25%, 50%, 75%) until you get none within the 24 hour reset window.

That way it at least promotes people actually going other places and doing other events.

Retro

A solid foundation blog post is probably about new tutorials for starting characters.

What do you guys think? Start the speculation.

That was what I originally thought, but Miktar may be on to something. What if they're referring to the mechanics that make up the foundation of gameplay, squashing stats and upping the difficulty to make the game harder?

Its too bad they just don't do a rule of diminishing returns.

The last time we were discussing the train, Peck chimed in that he dislikes DR mechanics.

Trey

Its too bad they just don't do a rule of diminishing returns. Keep doing the same 5 events 100x a day? Reduce the gold/xp gained each time (25%, 50%, 75%) until you get none within the 24 hour reset window.

That way it at least promotes people actually going other places and doing other events.

I think promoting event chaining for a multiplier effect would be better.

CoffeeMan

Ignore Kos, he's in a bad mood because Canadian parliament passed a ban on stripping nude, slathering yourself in maple syrup and riding a moose through the streets. At least when it's not hockey season.

That's actually what I did riding (my moose) to work this morning.

Oh well, didn't see, sorry for that. And thanks for answer. Is our guild still alive? Can I get an invite by any chance?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The funny thing is, just being account-bound makes Ascended gear more valuable. Now I am motivated to actually get some weapons, because they'll be swappable. On the one hand this extends the game for me because I actually want to craft some gear now. On the other hand I didn't need it extended and holding out has made me tons of money. Curse you convenience!!!!!

Nerfing champion loot silver across the board is drastic. I wonder if there are corresponding reward changes coming. The mention of this is a good opportunity to voice my idea about open world gold rewards, which I will post shortly.
Loved that.
Sorry you never really got an answer, a lot of stuff's going on. Ranger Spirits have been improved from release and are viable in dungeons and PvP (at one point they had even become dominant and were nerfed back slightly). I can't expound more than that, my ranger is level 20.
Someone must have seen I triggered the troll, and I got a lot of mail and whispers to the effect of "please die <racial/gender slur>", "hope you get cancer", "stop ruining the game you selfish <expletive>", and so on.
well then, fuck that noise
excuse me sir i will go where i please.

B)
i still <3 u doctor bon
I think promoting event chaining for a multiplier effect would be better.
You will like my idea.

Proven

A solid foundation blog post is probably about new tutorials for starting characters.

What do you guys think? Start the speculation.

A Solid Foundation is more than likely about the new PvP reward system. They've already mentioned in the past that the system is going to be another step in preparing PvP for additional game types. Then there's the fact they're going to prepare some type of league/tournament system that there already was a CDI for weeks ago.

Also, no other posts this week touched primarily on PvP so that's probably the blog post that will give them their main discussion point for Ready Up tomorrow.

Edit: Also, wasn't one of the things people wanted was for Champ Trains to be less rewarding? Outside of removing them from Queensdale, you'd want them to adjust things so that it wasn't so lucrative despite being so low on the scale of easy to difficult activities.

Of course, there's also the new issue that champs outside of Queensdale/Orr/Frostgorge might be considered even more of a waste of time by a majority of the community.

nataku

With the free trait reset and the other trait changes they added I'm surprised they don't have a build saving feature announced yet. I can't really see it fitting into the other blog posts based on the titles...

Also, it's kinda funny they announced the free trait resets in two different blog posts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Character name is also totally fine.
Edit: Also, wasn't one of the things people wanted was for Champ Trains to be less rewarding? Outside of removing them from Queensdale, you'd want them to adjust things so that it wasn't so lucrative despite being so low on the scale of easy to difficult activities.
I didn't feel like they were too disproportionately rewarding- they'd already been nerfed once and it felt pretty reasonable now. A solid, simple dungeon rotation was a better risk vs. reward unless you were totally unskilled or unwilling, and even the world-hopping train of daily rares beat it for a brief session of play. I didn't want anything but Queensdale's stopped in its tracks. Anything that rewards people for participating in the open world is good, and I'd prefer the unwanted side effects were dealt with rather than the reward lessened. However, I'm not abandoning the hope that doing this corresponds with some other changes to rewards in the open world... if not in this feature pack than at least longer-term. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense otherwise. Beyond the people taking full advantage (champ trains), the average person just gets less reward now for doing fun stuff.

Arcteryx

I'm surprised at the backlash on the forums over the "nerf" to champion bags/event loot. Not only do we not know the full extent of the "nerf"(likely a few silver max), but they aren't taking into account the DECREASE in gold sinks(due to the wardrobe, accountbound, and removal of repair bills, etc.).

Being able to purchase ONE BL set and have use of it MULTIPLE times will save you a TREMENDOUS amount of gold. Assuming transmute charges are still 5 per 200 gems(and assuming a charge is PER slot, not a full outfit), that means:

800 gems outfit(one full outfit free)
200 gems 5 transmute charges(these are used for the second outfit)
=
1000 gems for ~2 FULL outfits(you'll be 5/6 via charges)

vs
2x800 gems outfit(2 full outfits free, no charges required)
=
1600 gems for 2 full outfits

So that's 600 gems right there. Once you start including potential stuff like high-end exotics(ex Infinite Light)...you could potentially be saving HUNDREDS of gold.

tl;dr: People are only focusing on the short term "zerg, farm, grind" and not on the "omg I'm actually saving money" long term benefits.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to see more balance for rewards(ideally ALL aspects of the game would be equally rewarding), but I just think it's funny the backlash we're seeing over a "nerf" to a braindead activity.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah don't get my above commentary wrong. As a net aspect of the changes in total it's barely a blip on my radar. They mean to discourage spending a majority of your playtime killing Champs repeatedly in sequence and an across-the-board profit nerf will do just that.

Lunar15

Hot damn, good stuff. Don't even care about them changing gold drops on events/champs. They've already given us so much value in this feature pack.

jersoc

finally, respecing anywhere! account bound legendaries and ascended make this game way more alt friendly too.

rip in rip queens train

Seems all is not well over in FFXIV land. The upcoming patch is making some stalwarts waver:

Reading up on the latest patch to FFXIV, the grindiness of MMOS is starting to become clear to me again and its discouraging.

I think Ill play through the new story content in FFXIV, do the new dungeons and raid then unsub till the next update.

My main complaint is theyre doing a lot of obvious time sink padding with some of the new content.

And yet, I can't get them to try Guild Wars 2, because their friend told them that:

No, GW2's grind is just in the leveling, and the grind of leveling got so dull, I couldn't get passed level 40. x.x

Go here, kill monsters, interact with things, level up. Move on to next area, rinse, repeat.

So they won't play GW2, because it's "too grindy".

I don't even.

CoffeeMan

I'm surprised at the backlash on the forums over the "nerf" to champion bags/event loot. Not only do we not know the full extent of the "nerf"(likely a few silver max), but they aren't taking into account the DECREASE in gold sinks(due to the wardrobe, accountbound, and removal of repair bills, etc.).

Being able to purchase ONE BL set and have use of it MULTIPLE times will save you a TREMENDOUS amount of gold. Assuming transmute charges are still 5 per 200 gems(and assuming a charge is PER slot, not a full outfit), that means:

800 gems outfit
200 gems 5 transmute charges
=
1000 gems for ~2 FULL outfits(you'll be 5/6 via charges)

vs
2x800 gems outfit
=
1600 gems for 2 full outfits

So that's 600 gems right there. Once you start including potential stuff like high-end exotics(ex Infinite Light)...you could potentially be saving HUNDREDS of gold.

tl;dr: People are only focusing on the short term "zerg, farm, grind" and not on the "omg I'm actually saving money" long term benefits.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to see more balance for rewards(ideally ALL aspects of the game would be equally rewarding), but I just think it's funny the backlash we're seeing over a "nerf" to a braindead activity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they said that Gemstore bought skins wouldn't have the "charges" fees on them to transmute

Arcteryx

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they said that Gemstore bought skins wouldn't have the "charges" fees on them to transmute

Right, that will function like before, but in my example I'm trying to compare 2 full sets(ie: one will be the set that is "free" from the skins in the gem store pack, and the other will require transmute charges of those skins to apply - from the wardrobe).

markot

Banned
I've levelled up like 5 characters only doing wvw and living story events. Most of them have only got like rata sum and lions arch way points....

Next week has three blogposts on the same subject ("Facilitating Friendly Play")

I think the biggest change we're going to see is the great reworking of PvE servers and maybe even a District system - basically, every PvE zone is an Overflow by default, and then you can set them up for guilds to have their own 'Overflow' or whatever as well.

Around this shift, we're likely going to see a lot of other changes be announced to accommodate it. This means no more guesting to Blackgate to buy Obsidian Shards, but maybe fighting for the right to buy them again.

It's the only change big enough that I can see warranting three days of blog posts because a lot of systems would change to build around it.

Last 3 posts will be about 1) how things were unfriendly without all the things they announced, 2) how things they added "fascilitate friendly play" and 3) how the future will be fascilitating even more friendliness.

Don't expect anything new from Peck.

Lunar15

Personally, I think it's going to be a change to the commander system, but you could be on to something.

More importantly, what's "A Solid Foundation"? Seems flowery. Maybe just adjustments to the back-end? Making sure there's less lag and better performance?

swnny

More importantly, what's "A Solid Foundation"? Seems flowery. Maybe just adjustments to the back-end? Making sure there's less lag and better performance?

With all the buzz around the next ReadyUp tomorrow being about the revamped PvP Rewards system, I can easily see the blog title continuing like "A Solid Foundation for a healthy and rewarded PvP community" or something along these lines. And after the blog, they will show the system in action on the ReadyUp stream. Something like with the new traits.

Of course, this is just my guess.

CoffeeMan

Personally, I think it's going to be a change to the commander system, but you could be on to something.

I'm with the others that a Solid foundation is related to PVP rewards and PVP Merging with PVE (same armor in and out of PVP)

I think adjustment to back end, performance/lag issues need to be addressed ASAP and not in a feature patch

Moondrop

Banned
Will your PvP look still be distinct from your PvE look? Will PvP looks require transmutation charges going forward? Has this been addressed?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You guys are a riot, the preview headlines are all like the vaguest phrases one could hope to assemble with words :p

Proven

They plan to have you keep the same look no matter if you're in PvE, PvP, or WvW. How exactly they plan to facilitate that still hasn't been revealed.

"A Solid Foundation"

A hundred new tooltips will be added, that highlight on first-display, the many important UI and game elements required to fully understand the complex game structure.

"It is our hope that by pointing out the painfully obvious, over and over, obsessively, new players will eventually realize they're playing game and hopefully, pay enough attention so as to not make themselves more useless than a wet fart in a wind storm" - Colin Jonaathansaonson.

*Artists's mspaint rendition

6X1rFv9.jpg

As for Mr. Authority's mmo thread - welp, not going to touch that thing with a 10 foot pole. Dude is basically looking for a fight, and just wants a whine-in wankfest so... I dunno, he can feel loved? I don't know what the goals there are, but it's certainly not "constructive discussion".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom