• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Aetherblade Blitz was a smashing success, not just because my team won! Many thanks to Roxie, Callunah, Useri, Zed, Zeroth, Modric, SlightlyLive, Grindan Valascus, and Miktar for taking part in our race and to everyone who helped dole out the rewards!

For our next Offseason guild event to be scheduled soon... we'll be tackling ARAH. :>
I like your idea hawk but the math or other specifics could make it rough. I think a reward that large would turn the champ train into an event chain bringing the toxic players with it. Events don't always pop up or players arrive just after they are done and those players get less content then they do today because all the zone's events are being ran.
Heyyy I totally put this in the PAQ! :p
You know what your idea needs, Hawkian? Unique skins that only become available when your streak meter hits certain thresholds.
Well hey, sounds awesome! I should have mentioned that I was also aiming for something that could be implemented pretty easily without too much effort; mainly just some calculation adjustments.
Ahm.. given (what i assume is) somewhat proper use of the AH, this already happens. Maybe not per hour, but i'm still lvl 16, so... there's that. Silver is coming pretty regularly past 11.
Hmmm, can you clarify a little bit? When you say "maybe not per hour" that might be the entire discrepancy we're talking about here. A fast (but not even max-speed) run of, say, COF1, COF2, SE1, and AC3 will get you over 5 gold in under an hour. Can't do that at level 16.
you should put this up on the official forums :p
Thank you, despite my aversion to going there, I think I will put it in the suggestions forum... suppose I ought to make le 'ol reddit post as well.
8MiCyiF.gif
Hawkster
PIfS5Bt.gif

Quoting this huge post and i dont curr.
S5XbsOv.gif

Lunar15

I think it'd be cool if there were unique skins for having streaks in specific event chains. To show people you helped out in that event. It also kind of provides story context for skins, which I'm all about.

Also, I totally love your ideas hawk, but I think they could be better fleshed out in a world built around them. Having streaks based off of world events kind of changes how you'd actually design that world and would affect how quests work. You could theoretically build a new MMO around that design. It's a great basic framework though, and it builds on Anet's idea of "living quests" instead of static quests.

Heck, the idea of streaks could also be applied to professions skills or individual objectives. Healing, conditions, blocking, etc. Something that forces people to think outside "DPS".

The Aetherblade Blitz was a smashing success, not just because my team won! Many thanks to Roxie, Callunah, Useri, Zed, Zeroth, Modric, SlightlyLive, Grindan Valascus, and Miktar for taking part in our race and to everyone who helped dole out the rewards!

I would have liked to do it, but I realized having never done the story mode none of the paths would have been open to me. :-/

For our next Offseason guild event to be scheduled soon... we'll be tackling ARAH. :>

And I actually need that for the story, yes, I'm at that point.

Zeroth

I think Hawk's idea is interesting, but you need to offer something beyond merely gold to make it interesting. I thought about making achievements related to chaining events in maps, for example, people who helped the Gnawls in FireHeart Rise to fight against the Flame Legion like I did yesterday could get an exclusive helmet skin, but they would need to do the chain multiple times and with a daily cap, to reinforce the casual approach.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think it'd be cool if there were unique skins for having streaks in specific event chains. To show people you helped out in that event. It also kind of provides story context for skins, which I'm all about.

Also, I totally love your ideas hawk, but I think they could be better fleshed out in a world built around them. Having streaks based off of world events kind of changes how you'd actually design that world and would affect how quests work. You could theoretically build a new MMO around that design. It's a great basic framework though, and it builds on Anet's idea of "living quests" instead of static quests.
Interestingly enough, I feel the world is extremely close to being designed around this concept already! The flow of many zones is intended to corral you into discovering a new event around the corner right after completing one. Long, area-spanning event chains and even the entire concept of Meta Events lend themselves to the practice of stringing together one DE after another without leaving the zone.
Heck, the idea of streaks could also be applied to professions skills or individual objectives. Healing, conditions, blocking, etc. Something that forces people to think outside "DPS".
As an action game fan of course I'd love this. Gimme a combo meter for stringing together initiative skillz without missing or taking damage :O
I think Hawk's idea is interesting, but you need to offer something beyond merely gold to make it interesting. I thought about making achievements related to chaining events in maps, for example, people who helped the Gnawls in FireHeart Rise to fight against the Flame Legion like I did yesterday could get an exclusive helmet skin, but they would need to do the chain multiple times and with a daily cap, to reinforce the casual approach.
Well, as Retro suggested, unique skins for every zone only obtainable by reaching a certain event threshold would take this reward structure to the next level.

The thing is, I was going for a degree of practicality. Just make going out in the world for an hour or two as relevant to "endgame" as dungeons are. My idea stemming from just gold rewards could be implemented solely in the code base and delivered through the existing solution of event reward popups, with one UI suggestion (the streak display buff). Adding in new unique skins for completing events throughout the world means a ton of new art assets, new item codes in the DB, possibly new NPCs and flavor text/dialogue, more UI work, etc. on top of the background math to get my idea working.

Lunar15

I wish there was a way to better tie Orr into the rest of the world. Like if the statues from orr existed on mainland tyria, and turning tides in Orr would eliminate them.

I'm just trying to think ways of having a focused "endgame" area that still spreads out activity through lower level areas. Some kind of ripple effect.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-reward-tracks-and-gear-unification/

PvP Reward Tracks and Gear Unification

Hello again Tyria! There are a lot of great new changes happening in the Mists with rewards, gear, build-making, and more! It’s incredibly exciting to finally be able to share with you all of the updates and improvements the team has been working on!

Way too much posted, gotta read it.

Stand-out things for me:

As of April 15, there will no longer be PvP items in the game.

The stats of your gear in PvE will continue to have no effect in PvP. You are simply carrying over your looks between game types; every player will still enjoy total statistical equality in PvP.

When you enter the Heart of The Mists for the first time after the April 2014 Feature Pack goes live, all of the skins you have collected in PvP will unlock in your Wardrobe.

You will be given a one-time allotment of Transmutation Charges based on your rank in PvP so you can restore or change your looks.

To kick off this new system, we are thrilled to introduce you to the Balthazar Carapace back item that can only be earned through its PvP Reward Track!

25829Balthazar-Back_275x275.jpg

In addition, as new Living World and holiday content is released, associated Rewards Tracks will be available for the duration of those events. Once you have experienced and participated in the Living World content, you will unlock an associated Reward Track so you have the option to continue to receive relevant rewards in PvP. This will ensure that PvP is always a part of the bigger story that is unfolding in Tyria.

42918build-ui-590x461.jpg

In PvP, you will still have a separate set of build components, including runes, sigils, amulets, and traits. All of these items can be selected and equipped directly from the PvP build panel. No longer will you need to speak to several NPCs and manage a set of PvP-only inventory items.

With this release, we are adding new runes, sigils, amulets, and traits outside of the core set. The core set is always open and available to all PvP players. New runes, sigils and amulets can be unlocked for your account with gold; new traits can be unlocked for your character for gold and skill points. These items are purchased directly from the UI. If it’s locked, simply click on it to unlock it!

In the feature pack, we will be unifying daily and monthly achievements

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
wow there is a lot of awesome shit for me here. I have the Wings of Dwayna skin unlocked uselessly in PvP... my Ranger might quite like that indeed.
There is also a rotating schedule of dungeon Reward Tracks that will allow you to play PvP to earn rewards from specific dungeons. Every two weeks, a different dungeon Reward Track will become available to players. These award weapons, armor, and dungeon tokens among other things. If you want to complete a specific dungeon Reward Track at your leisure, simply complete the story mode of that dungeon to unlock the PvP Reward Track permanently. Otherwise, you can wait for the Reward Track to come back up in the schedule and your progress on it will be saved.
brilliant

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm a sucker for this stuff obviously, just the design of this UI for unlocking rewards makes me want to play more pvp :p

edit: Everything for a legendary minus Gift of Battle (WvW) and Exploration (map completion) can be earned purely in PvP.

Moondrop

Banned
PvP moving forward is yay. I knew they would start charging for transmutation, but giving charges based on rank is sweet.

But a big thumbs down to incorporating the jewels into the amulet- another unnecessary measure reducing build diversity.

Hawkian's idea really is bulletproof. Dynamic events are one of my favorite parts of PvE; they add color to the world.

Oh and by the way, do y'all really think Evon could have done anything to save LA from Mary Sue?

Jira

And already the PvPers are whining about having to unlock stuff - after months of whining about having nothing to unlock.

DUDE I said the same damn thing when reading that.
ANET I WANT REWARDS...
ANET YOU TOOK OUR REWARDS FROM US....
here's some rewards, ALL OF THEM...
ANET I DON'T WANT TO UNLOCK ANYTHING.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian's idea really is bulletproof. Dynamic events are one of my favorite parts of PvE; they really add color to the world.
Thank you :) I did post it to the official forums and it hasn't been met with outright hatred so I count that as a win, hehe
Oh and by the way, do y'all really think Evon could have done anything to save LA from Mary Sue?
Come to think of it, anybody know where Malyck is at?

edit: Wooow, all daily achievements being merged too and byebye monthlies. But, my 10 extra laurels per month pleases?

Arcteryx

I like the rewards changes and the stuff to work towards, but man, some of these PvP changes...are such a step backwards:

One change made in the interest of streamlining the build-making process is that the jewel has been incorporated into amulets.
Really bad move IMO, as it only reduces build diversity.

6x full rune sets only
Already knew this was happening, but still, bad move. Again, kills off build diversity.

New runes, sigils and amulets can be unlocked for your account with gold; new traits can be unlocked for your character for gold and skill points
In the past, any new runes/sigils were given freely in PvP, now they will be a "paid" item. Couple that with amulets...and I'm not liking the direction they're taking PvP. Any new players to the game will be already be at a disadvantage because they're new. Now couple that with having to spend gold AND skillpoints, which they won't have...means that there WILL be definite advantages. Yes, matchmaking comes into play, but we all know how well the system ANet uses works(even in the top 100 I still routinely get paired with sub r10 players who don't understand anything).

Your equipped weapons will be the same between PvP and PvE as part of keeping your looks consistent across game modes.
Again, bad move. This means that I have to spend transmute charges when I used to be able to simply swap weapons. If I want to equip a torch(and actually have a skin on it), I'll need to equip a basic(white) torch, and then spend a transmute charge to use my already exisiting PvP(now PvP/PvE combined wardrobe) item.

I get that they want to unify the two aspects of the game, but man, this is a HUGE departure from what we're used to.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
though I am not broken up about them personally (I merely want getting into pvp to be as simple as possible), I wholly sympathize with the pvp build streamlining complaints. I'm sure it just feels like fewer options with nothing in return.

the appearance/transmutation stuff though, is hard to see as a step back. You can unlock skins in PvE for use in PvP seamlessly, and unlock tons of weapons in PvP in more interesting ways than before. The wardrobe system in total will be so much simpler and more fun to use. you're even getting a handful of charges to start off for the trouble.

edit: that is a moneymaker of an idea Lump. as a limited time offer like the gathering tools...

Arcteryx

Aren't most of these changes the result of the CDIs anyway? Isn't this what the "community" asked for?

You mean the General section of the forums?

I highly doubt anyone was clamoring to have to spend transmute charges in PvP.

I dunno, this definitely feels like "the catch" out of the whole feature patch. Everything else so far has been pretty stellar.

Retro

I don't sPVP much. I have a perfect record in sPVP, but only because I've won all five matches I've played. It's not that there's anything wrong with Guild Wars 2 or their PVP, it's more a holdover from doing Arenas back in WoW and absolutely hating everything about it (the only reason I did them was because my brothers needed a teammate). I just have a bad association with straight Arena-style PVP; Battlegrounds / Edge of the Mists are more my preference. I guess I always figured if I wanted to fight other people in an arena, I'd do it in something like Halo or TF2, where it's all skill rather than stats and builds and the ever-shifting Meta that determines who wins.

But I'm excited about some of the new stuff there, and I'd say it's enough to coax me into playing PVP on a regular basis if it doesn't drive me away for reason above. The more there is to do in this game, the happier I am, and a lot of these changes invalidate the lack of rewards complaint that has always dominated PVP. Getting some new skins is always a good carrot for me.

I think one of the biggest points people may not have realized is that you can now effectively earn dungeon tokens while playing solo. Yeah, you'll have a team you play with, but for the most part you're doing this on your terms rather than with a group. That's interesting.

Anyways, I wanted to get all of that laid bare so when I inevitably start talking about how cool these changes are, you know where I'm coming from; someone who hasn't set foot in PVP more than half a dozen times, but now probably will. Take that as you will.

I like the rewards changes and the stuff to work towards, but man, some of these PvP changes...are such a step backwards:

I agree with pretty much everything you've said here. I think if they're going to make PVP have a "One Rune" rule, it should be that way across the entire game. For all their talk about unifying PVP and PVE/WvW, that's just creating an entirely new break. I can't say whether PVE should adopt the "One Rune" rule or PVP should go back to multiple runes, as the simplicity of one is appealing while the diversity of the other is appreciated. Likewise with the jewel change, though I think that won't be so godawful if the jewels and amulets are paired well enough.

I do not, however, agree that having to unlock new runes, sigils and traits is as bad as it sounds. Because of the new reward system, PVPers will see a whole lot more gold, skill points and such headed their way than they're used to, and these will likely offset the difference. It doesn't say it, but I'm fairly certain purchasing the unlocks in one mode will unlock them for all, so while straight PVP-only players will have an issue, it's not one for the majority of players who dabble in a little of everything.

I get that they want to unify the two aspects of the game, but man, this is a HUGE departure from what we're used to.

I would say that a huge departure was needed given the state sPVP seemed to be in.

I really hope Anet implements an Infinite Transmutation Charge thing into the game. I'd pay 4000 gems for one.

I would absolutely buy one of those. I expect to do a ton of transmutation in the near future.

though I am not broken up about them personally (I merely want getting into pvp to be as simple as possible), I wholly sympathize with the pvp build streamlining complaints. I'm sure it just feels like fewer options with nothing in return.

I think the reason for this is that PVP, being so disjointed, was a bit overwhelming for new players. Hell, I've been playing since BWE1 and I don't think I've ever properly set up any of my characters for sPVP. There's too many vendors spread out too far across the mists and things to keep track of for it to be something you just jump into. So by simplifying the hell out it, they make it easier for someone to just jump in and go, which has always been a strong point for multiplayer modes, regardless of genre. So while it's taking away build diversity in places, it's doing it in fairly skill-less areas; the stats on your jewel / amulet probably shouldn't even exist since sPVP is supposed to be all about a level playing field rather than gear. Likewise, runes are predominantly stat boosts with a bonus effect; it's the bonus effect people should be building for, not the stats. So in a way, I feel like they're trying to streamline sPVP for both simplicity AND to eliminate the uneven bumps that disrupt the otherwise smooth, stat-free approach.

Next week will showcase a trilogy of blog posts outlining a big new feature or set of new features coming in the April 15th patch: 'Facilitating Friendly Play'

What feature (or features) could possibly be extensive enough to take three days to explain? Post your predictions as I'm interested in any speculation. Here's my guess:
I bet the next three blog posts will outline an overhaul of the PvE server system, merging zones across multiple servers.

Think about it: Do we really need every server to have their own Metrica Province or Lornar's Pass at this point? No. They might as well start as 'Overflows' for everyone in a region, actually being filled with life again.

In fact, 'Guesting' and 'Overflows' will no longer exist as terms. We might even get selectable Districts like GW 1. If we're lucky, we'll be able to set up private/custom/guild Districts for events like Tequatl.

This will mean a lot of changes, obviously, like having the Orr events start at the same time for everyone like Living Story events. Folks might actually need to earn the right to get to the Obsidian Shard vendor instead of just look at a website and Guest to the right server.

Maybe this will mean events in Orr will have PvE progression tracks in the same way PvP tracks got announced today.

Unlocking access to time/event gated dungeons will have to either change or be removed with this change.

Cities like Divinity's Reach might still be server-locked, but if a District system is re-implemented, then it'll be inconsequential really.

Perhaps I'm totally wrong, but I wonder what else could possibly constitute three days of blog posts to fully explain or rationalize. I suppose it could be a flurry of smaller features though.

Think about it: Do we really need every server to have their own Metrica Province or Lornar's Pass at this point? No. They might as well start as 'Overflows' for everyone in a region, actually being filled with life again.

I've always felt "underflows" were something the game really needs, especially if Anet wants to counteract a problem all MMO faces, that of empty zones as the population moves around, per server.

It so strange it's like ANET cares about its game.

From now one when anyone says the word patch I'm going to ask "but is it a pack?".

This pack will destroy ANET servers.

xeris

Next week will showcase a trilogy of blog posts outlining a big new feature or set of new features coming in the April 15th patch: 'Facilitating Friendly Play'

What feature (or features) could possibly be extensive enough to take three days to explain? Post your predictions as I'm interested in any speculation.

Facilitating Friendly Play means they're changing the game into the Official My Little Pony MMO since Friendship is Magic (tm).

Arcteryx

What feature (or features) could possibly be extensive enough to take three days to explain? Post your predictions as I'm interested in any speculation. Here's my guess:
I bet the next three blog posts will outline an overhaul of the PvE server system, merging zones across multiple servers.

In fact, 'Guesting' and 'Overflows' will no longer exist as terms. We might even get selectable Districts like GW 1. If we're lucky, we'll be able to set up private/custom/guild Districts for events like Tequatl.

This will mean a lot of changes, obviously, like having the Orr events start at the same time for everyone like Living Story events. Folks might actually need to earn the right to get to the Obsidian Shard vendor instead of just look at a website and Guest to the right server.

Maybe this will mean events in Orr will have PvE progression tracks in the same way PvP tracks got announced today.

Unlocking access to time/event gated dungeons will have to either change or be removed with this change.

Cities like Divinity's Reach might still be server-locked, but if a District system is re-implemented, then it'll be inconsequential really.

Perhaps I'm totally wrong, but I wonder what else could possibly constitute three days of blog posts to fully explain or rationalize. I suppose it could be a flurry of smaller features though.

Lot of good ideas here. I'm hoping at the very least we get some kind of district system for events, so that we can setup "guild" activities better.

I'd also like to see them do away with having to unlock explorable mode multiple times; just have it become accountbound once one character does the story mode for a dungeon.

Regarding the "friendly" part of the topic: I'm guessing they will discuss some more of the "being kicked from dungeons" aspects of the game, as well as dungeon hosting. I'm REALLY hoping they fix the current dungeon host format, because it BLOWS when the host leaves/gets kicked/swaps character/etc.

Lunar15

We don't know if the last three posts are actually the biggest feature implementations. It certainly SEEMS that way, but I would caution that you use reasonable restraint in your hype.

For all we know it could just be a series of helpful advice (probably more substantial than that), but who knows!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I talked to a dev and I'm just going to stop the speculation

it'll be post 1: the elimination of PvP (that rewards post was an early April Fools' joke), post 2: the elimination of WvW (spring tournament, also an early April Fools), post 3: elimination of the trading post

Because those are the only areas of the game where you can really compete with other players and competition does not facilitate friendly play

you all should have known this

Zeroth

it'll be post 1: the elimination of PvP (that rewards post was an early April Fools' joke), post 2: the elimination of WvW (spring tournament, also an early April Fools), post 3: elimination of the trading post

Because those are the only areas of the game where you can really compete with other players and competition does not facilitate friendly play

Thank god, I play GW2 to relax, and not to be challenged.

Can we remove activities too? I don't like how other players can burp on my face.

hythloday

Please no.

How come? I think it's kind of a good idea. Lots of people are affected by main servers and overflows getting full, so friends can't play together when they can't get in. Then you get stuck in a losing overflow.

Maybe put it behind an unlocking system where guilds have to spend influence to unlock a new overflow, so they can plan ahead for events and not necessarily be able to trigger it every single day. Otherwise it's kind of like needing a raid invite and I can see why it would suck if big guilds all started hiding in private maps all the time.

Proven

New Amulets confirmed to be 10g per unlock. So far just Magi and Cavalier.

New Sigils cost 5g per unlock. Unless I saw the number wrong. I was tabbing too much.

Apparently I missed runes too. Perplexity Runes confirmed for PvP.

Again, bad move. This means that I have to spend transmute charges when I used to be able to simply swap weapons. If I want to equip a torch(and actually have a skin on it), I'll need to equip a basic(white) torch, and then spend a transmute charge to use my already exisiting PvP(now PvP/PvE combined wardrobe) item.
I'm confused by this complaint.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thank god, I play GW2 to relax, and not to be challenged.

Can we remove activities too? I don't like how other players can burp on my face.
good point, I forgot to ask about that! Sanctum Sprint is a race with winners and losers, that does not facilitate friendly play.

Trey

How come? I think it's kind of a good idea. Lots of people are affected by main servers and overflows getting full, so friends can't play together when they can't get in. Then you get stuck in a losing overflow.

Maybe put it behind an unlocking system where guilds have to spend influence to unlock a new overflow, so they can plan ahead for events and not necessarily be able to trigger it every single day. Otherwise it's kind of like needing a raid invite and I can see why it would suck if big guilds all started hiding in private maps all the time.

You can make it easier to play with friends with the district system alone. Having private overflows so you can hide away from the masses while doing world events is antithetical to GW2 and destructive to the game, for reasons you mentioned.

These world events only succeed because guilds and experienced players do most of the legwork while randoms follow their example.

But then how am I supposed to take out my frustrations that FA won't be going to Gold League on other GAF people?

Proven

PvP announced to be the only guaranteed way to get Mystic Clovers. Don't know how many though.

I'll keep adding to this post.

They rebalanced rank point amounts per rank. If you were above a certain rank before the April 15th, you'll be bumped straight to 80. All ranks past rank 39 take the same amount or rank points to rank up (20,000). After rank 80 you'll continue to get rank points for rank ups, similar to being constantly level 80 in PvE. You'll continue to get the same rewards from rank up boxes that we do now (since the maintenance patch). You will be given a transmutation charge for each PvP rank you have.

Reward tracks come in several different types, but you can only have one "activated" at a time. Activated meaning that it's the only one you're getting credit for progressing. There are region tracks that help you get fine crafting materials from certain enemy types. Dungeon tracks give you tokens, weapons, armor, and stat combos of your choice that would be available from that dungeon vendor (and I believe they are sellable). There will be Living Story and Holiday reward tracks in the future.

It takes about 1 completed game (win or lose, but you get a bonus if you win) to up your reward track by 1 pointorwhatever. Every 5 points gives you a chest with one of the aforementioned rewards, and what you get out of the chest is affected by your Magic Find. Some are infinitely repeatable, primarily Region and Dungeon tracks. You also get some other items for each single point.

Hamlfr the Bowyer is the Warrior trainer in the Mists.

Based on the way the reward tracks give you items, PvP will be the fastest way to level up in the game, or at least the fastest way to get skill points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom