• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcteryx

New Amulets confirmed to be 10g per unlock. So far just Magi and Cavalier.

New Sigils cost 5g per unlock. Unless I saw the number wrong. I was tabbing too much.

Apparently I missed runes too. Perplexity Runes confirmed for PvP.

I'm confused by this complaint.

Pre-patch you could take a PvP item(essentially a skin) out of your locker and use it. Post-patch you will have to use a transmute item to do the same(assuming you don't want to just use your PvE skins, which I don't). Yes, they are giving us some "free" transmutes, but still...

To further expand: if you want to differentiate between PvP and PvE, which I do, you will need to create a PvP outfit, which will require 8 transmutes.

I'm just disappointed that the "experimentation"(both visually and build) aspect of PvP is being diminished(either directly reduced via rune/amulet options, or monetarily reduced via having to purchase/transmute items).

I think GW2 needs notifiers for when party members apply boons or remove conditions from you, or when they combo in the fields you set, etc. Something clearer and more visible than icons appearing/disappearing or the combo field word bubbles. Can't quite visualise an example yet. But something that *really* gets it across that *things are happening*, teamworky things. Like if someone pulls a mob off you, or pushes them away when they were about to hit you, or reflects a deadly shot, etc.

I keep seeing a lot of people claim there is zero teamwork in dungeons in GW2, mostly from the "hurr dhurr trinity or nothing" idiots, but I do think half of that comes from the game not really indicating that there IS teamwork happening, it's just happening ambiently. This comes back to the "feedback" thing where I feel the game systems are a little *too* minimalistic, and so much goes unnoticed by players.

Running TA last night with Hawk and Co, I was actively bursting in firefields as often as possible, aiming for 12+ Might stacks whenever possible. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, or if it was even important, but that's teamwork, right?

Proven

Extra balance changes

Hambow
Arcing Shot (Longbow #3) 15% less damage.
Merciless Hammer (Defense Major trait) 20% damage bonus, down from 25%.
Impale (Sword #4) Applies Torment across 4s instead of 10s (makes it easier to cleanse).

Pistol Whip
Initiative cost increased from 5 to 6. Split from PvE.

Decap
Automated Response changed: 33% health activation (up from 25%), but reduces condition duration by only 50% (down from 100%).

They're hoping the new meta will allow them to not have to nerf it into the ground.

Again, only two new stat combos: Cavalier and Magi
Celestial upped to 434 stat points per stat vs. the 922/643 divide on other Amulets.

New Runes
Perplexity (rebalanced)
Traveler (yes, with the move speed bonus)

New Sigils
Generosity
Renewal

Set bonuses will be on dulfy soon so I didn't bother typing them down.

Stream done.

Shiokazu

id like the weapons and armor to show some kind of cool light effect or have something engraved on them when you have runes equiped.

like, when you have a dolyak rune on your armor, it shows a tiny dolyak symbol on that piece. same with weapons.

juuuust because pretty is good.

I think GW2 needs notifiers for when party members apply boons or remove conditions from you, or when they combo in the fields you set, etc. Something clearer and more visible than icons appearing/disappearing or the combo field word bubbles. Can't quite visualise an example yet. But something that *really* gets it across that *things are happening*, teamworky things. Like if someone pulls a mob off you, or pushes them away when they were about to hit you, or reflects a deadly shot, etc.

I keep seeing a lot of people claim there is zero teamwork in dungeons in GW2, mostly from the "hurr dhurr trinity or nothing" idiots, but I do think half of that comes from the game not really indicating that there IS teamwork happening, it's just happening ambiently. This comes back to the "feedback" thing where I feel the game systems are a little *too* minimalistic, and so much goes unnoticed by players.

Running TA last night with Hawk and Co, I was actively bursting in firefields as often as possible, aiming for 12+ Might stacks whenever possible. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, or if it was even important, but that's teamwork, right?
I love this "ambient feedback" amongst team members, to me that's a huge strength of this particular MMO. Minimalism in the UI is awesome. I believe that's a contributing reason why I often see "This game is beautiful!" threads on the GW2 reddit-- people have a really clean, unobstructed view of the world. Whenever I see the random raid WoW run on Youtube I see a screen with a nice custom UI that has about 30 different colored horizontal bars (the boss alone has at least three); about 50 square icons of various sizes (of which 40 are on some autoattack pattern with constant refreshing), those 50 square icons occupy three separate zones on the screen (e.g., bottom center, bottom right, top left).

I can understand the appeal of having a ton of direct information on your screen to make faster choices. But for me who wants to relax after work, I don't want to see numbers. The less numbers and UI symbols the better. Let the world show me the status of things. If that's reason to criticize the game for being too casual, so be it. Anecdotal, but hardcore mechanics and an unfriendly community appear to be correlated in this genre. In a dungeon party I'll look at the actual monster and see who it's attacking rather than wish I had a target-of-target bar. I love the verbal cues when I receive boons and conditions; that the UI boon/condi symbols are so small for the finer details can be a problem for me on a 32" TV, I'll concede that.

Maybe it's because I main a staff-carrying guardian, but I regularly look at the party window (love the minimalist option!) to look for conditions that I can shout away, or low health that I can Empower. The converse becomes true too. When someone gives me fury or retaliation, I notice. I think you just need to blast through more chaos fields; like you've previously said those are the nicest looking boons.

Besides, I thought you were supposed to avoid that thread in the main forum.

Hmmm, can you clarify a little bit? When you say "maybe not per hour" that might be the entire discrepancy we're talking about here. A fast (but not even max-speed) run of, say, COF1, COF2, SE1, and AC3 will get you over 5 gold in under an hour. Can't do that at level 16.

The concern raised was people in their thirties getting more than one gold an hour.
Given how progression goes, and if the pace of acquisition keeps rising, this should be possible once I hit thirty, regardless of changes to base mechanics.

As is right now, I`m already close to a gold an hour. Assuming that I stopped promptly selling stuff in the AH for whatever the buyer is offering (absolutely love that system, btw) and started undercutting the cheapest seller by, say, 10%, more than one gold an hour at double my level seems considerably attainable.

Anyway, it`s raw conjecture at this point, so i`ll keep plugging at it and give you a holler when i`m in a position to properly test that :)

Besides, I thought you were supposed to avoid that thread in the main forum.

I made the mistake of posting in that thread early on. I've since gone and corrected my mistake, but not before being harshly reminded of *why* I shouldn't have posted there in the first place. Lesson learned.

Moondrop

Banned
Dev post says "upper mid 50s" will convert to rank 80.

On the one hand, these high rank people absolutely deserve something now that the old scaling is obsolete. But as someone who plays a fair amount of pvp but isn't that high, I feel a bit left out.

I wonder what kind of marathon it would take for me to reach rank 57 by April 15...

Moondrop

Banned
Capricorn map is being retired?!? So Anet is officially admitting they don't plan to fix or balance underwater combat. I'm truly surprised. Are they going to dam up the pond in the Heart of the Mists as well?

wow dulfy stopped being in the year 2000. She's gotten with the times. Must be all that ad money.

Kind of funny how dulfy has become the main GW2 site, instead of Guild Wars 2 Guru (no real content) or Guild Wars Insider (dead since last year). To be fair, she does put in the work.

Capricorn map is being retired?!? So Anet is officially admitting they don't plan to fix or balance underwater combat. I'm truly surprised. Are they going to dam up the pond in the Heart of the Mists as well?

Dangit - defending the Ruins in Capricorn was like the one thing I excelled at.

Retro

I think the point of retiring the Capricorn map is that their streamlining of PVP was forced to include underwater weapons, traits and utility skills for what is essentially a very small piece of real estate. I don't think it spells the end of underwater combat as that's still a very large part of the PVE game, it just means they'd rather not waste time on balancing something that's like, less than 5% of PVP.

They could theoretically keep it around, they'd just have to fill in the water or something. /shrug.

Proven

Huh? I'm going to need more details on this. Stat.
Sorry, went off to do other things.

As I mentioned in the post, every rank after 39 will cost 20,000 rank points to reach. This means that everyone's rank will be rebalanced to this new system on the day of the patch. This will also cut out about 7 million of the rank points needed to reach rank 80.

So anyone who was above a certain rank amount will get to rank 80. If you would be higher than 80, then you'll receive a rank up chest for each rank above 80 your rank point total suggests. And then like levels in PvE, you'll continue to rank up but stay at 80 into the future.

They also said that you'll receive a transmutation charge for each rank you have after the rebalance. But I'm not sure about in the future. Still, it looks like reward tracks will reward you transmutation charges periodically. If you're playing PvP regularly you probably won't hurt for charges.

I knew I forgot to mention something.

Moondrop

Banned
I understand things have to change, but it's disappointing they're removing water combat from PvP entirely. I guess I knew it was coming after they filled in the Temple.

I suppose I should give up my urge to push for this rank advancement threshold and play it cool knowing advancement in the future will be much faster. :/

A blast from the past
ftKEsPv.jpg

Can someone invite Dawn Kirens into the guild?

Zed Zebes aka etiolite will be commanding at reset tonight. He will be in GAF TS channel if there is enough of us.

Come in an try WvW with us if you have not.

TrounceX

And yet, FA Gendarran is in overflow because the WvW'ers would rather sit there and whine while in queue, than play EotM while in queue. >..>

To be fair, EOTM is not much of a relief to most of the WvW players your speaking of. What they want is to get their guild together and get some good fights with other skilled groups. They also want to contribute to their server, especially because it's reset night + the start of a new season, so the stakes are high. EOTM doesn't offer much in either regard.

Lunar15

To be fair, EOTM is not much of a relief to most of the WvW players your speaking of. What they want is to get their guild together and get some good fights with other skilled groups. They also want to contribute to their server, especially because it's reset night + the start of a new season, so the stakes are high. EOTM doesn't offer much in either regard.

I personally never understood using EOTM as a queue for WvW. I kind of wish it was its own dedicated mode, but that'd split up the userbase even more.

Every time I went in there it was dead as a doornail. Do people really play it? Is there any point?

TrounceX

I personally never understood using EOTM as a queue for WvW. I kind of wish it was its own dedicated mode, but that'd split up the userbase even more.

Every time I went in there it was dead as a doornail. Do people really play it? Is there any point?

On weekends you might find some action, but it's usually one mindless megazerg rolling around the map karma training.

Is there any point? I don't know...it's certainly the most pointless game mode in the game, that's for sure. No idea what demographic they were going after with that one, but it certainly wasn't mine!

Ceres

Banned
On weekends you might find some action, but it's usually one mindless megazerg rolling around the map karma training.

Is there any point? I don't know...it's certainly the most pointless game mode in the game, that's for sure. No idea what demographic they were going after with that one, but it certainly wasn't mine!

Wasn't it introduced because of the expected crazy numbers in the China release?

I jumped in EotM while in queue. There seemed to be no one on blue side but Overgrowth/red had plenty.

What the hell happened to Lion's Arch? :O I was in the wild all this time, and just decided to visit the city. Needless to say, I didn't realize at first that I teleported to the right location.

Trey

The_Player said:
Who did? Why? I saw that movie at the start, but it didn't ring a bell to me. I thought the thing was like Black Citadel flying, but it's all safe and sound where it were.

A sylvari named Scarlet. She first appeared in the LS last year August, I want to say, and since then has been the main antagonist up to the season finale.

There's a recap video at the guildwars2 official YouTube and site. I would link it but I'm on mobile.

I decided to not be lazy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9LrN-LD-ZI

A sylvari named Scarlet. She first appeared in the LS last year August, I want to say, and since then has been the main antagonist up to the season finale.

There's a recap video at the guildwars2 official YouTube and site. I would link it but I'm on mobile.

Sylvari? These are the nature-people, right? So, they made one of them to be a main antagonist? A twist worth of M Night Shyamalan script.

Vyrance

Was fun wvwing with you all last night! Wish I could have stayed longer though.

Btw royal terrace pass is for sale today, if you didnt get it before, you better get it now

I'm not even a dedicated GW2 player, but Anet does more to innovate the MMO genre than anyone else seems to care to try. Pretty crazy considering a sub isn't required. I just jumped back into FFXIV, but will always have GW2 around to play.

That is when I get my account fixed. GMG "refunded" my copy of the game without telling me. This invalidated my serial key... and I got my account suspended. So I need to rebuy the game, lol. Just haven't had the funds. So weird because I played for like 2 months straight. -_-

Don't know the exact numbers each server has for WvW but if it's 125 it needs to be 100, finally get in and it's unplayable, 2 large zergs fight and I can't get my skills off, all 3 servers and i might as well hit F12 and go PvE..

SBI queues are not too bad but Zerg on Zerg it is still quite laggy. Transfer over and play with us noobs.

Hope I can get in an hour or so a night running with small 5-15 crew with Zed so we can ninja a bunch of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom