• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerokis

Catching up on the April 15th update, and wow, ArenaNet is going big with this one. I love the wardrobe changes, in particular.

This mega server thing is quite interesting, as well. The dynamic event system definitely penalized you for running around alone in high level zones, which happen to be fairly lonely sometimes (on my server, anyway), and it seems ArenaNet decided to sacrifice some permanence to reinforce its basic functionality. I barely touched Guild Wars 1, but isn't this essentially trading the original "this is the world you occupy, and you can have a real impact on it" vision for something more resembling GW1's instances? In practice that vision may not be completely lost, but when the maps themselves are switching around according to some algorithm, what you do on those maps doesn't really seem as impactful, does it? The world itself is broken into a collection of pocket dimensions.

Still, even if it ends up working out that way, GW2 is a game that begs for a world that feels populated.

Sonicbug

I barely touched Guild Wars 1, but isn't this essentially trading the original "this is the world you occupy, and you can have a real impact on it" vision for something more resembling GW1's instances? In practice that vision may not be completely lost, but when the maps themselves are switching around according to some algorithm, what you do on those maps doesn't really seem as impactful, does it?

I dunno. That illusion of impact is shattered the moment I lingered on the same map too long and an NPC whose quest I already did ran up to me again asking for help with the same thing, and that freed encampment on the hill was overrun again. The permanence was always an illusion, so no one is loosing anything in that regard.

Lunar15

The living story is now where they've been able to actually add impact and permanence, so it's all kind of a moot point.

I mean, that's the thing, This is just the feature update. A pretty hefty one at that. It's completely awesome, but that's not even half the story. We'll be getting brand new content when the second season of the living story starts. It's a double whammy.

Nerokis

I dunno. That illusion of impact is shattered the moment I lingered on the same map too long and an NPC whose quest I already did ran up to me again asking for help with the same thing, and that freed encampment on the hill was overrun again. The permanence was always an illusion, so no one is loosing anything in that regard.

"Permanence" doesn't necessarily mean something lasts forever. In this case, I'm referring to an enduring effect on the world. (The illusion of permanence isn't something that should be so easily dismissed, either.) The fundamental shift is going from being part of a single, unified world to engaging with a collection of "rotating instances," so to speak. I can imagine, in practice, the feeling of having a role in the overall flow of a map being more or less the same, but now that flow is disconnected from a "mainland world" (I like that idea) and is just one out of however many flows an algorithm can throw you into. By definition, that's a step back in terms of permanence. But yeah, how it will impact the feel of the game is a different question, for sure.

The interesting thing to me is how the original design vision (in relation to DEs and world design) has evolved to that point.

Proven

Sat in on the last 5 minutes of next week's WvW strategy meeting. There's a thread open on the forum to sign up for coverage now. The basic summary is that BP is a server similar to ours in coverage so we just have to out fight them, while NSP is smaller but has a couple of scary guilds to watch out for.

They really should have packed more varying events into these zones if they didn't want to increase the time in between events.

undersakura

Neo Member
The dynamic event system definitely penalized you for running around alone in high level zones, which happen to be fairly lonely sometimes (on my server, anyway), and it seems ArenaNet decided to sacrifice some permanence to reinforce its basic functionality.
I think they could solve this problem by giving zone content better rewards.

Katoki

I think they could solve this problem by giving zone content better rewards.

If you gave every zone better rewards, how would you personally choose which zone to go to? How would this then weigh in when you factor in the overall player population? Just curious.

Guild Wars 2 is only $25 right now from the official site.

x1NsesU.png

x1NsesU.png
x1NsesU.png

I mean seriously. That's a steal.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
wow, arah 1 has become my nemesis :<

Many thanks to Callunah, Zeroth, Modric, and Roxie for powering through as far as we got. One day soon...

edit: ^laughable. you could get $25 bucks worth out of it in a couple of days

Complistic

Many thanks to Callunah, Zeroth, Modric, and Roxie for powering through as far as we got. One day soon...

Is that the jotun observatory? Because fuck that one. My group did complete it though. 5 hours after starting it.

edit: ^laughable. you could get $25 bucks worth out of it in a couple of days

It was a good attempt. Very fun! <3 Quaggans!!

UltraMav

So I just unsubbed from SWTOR since all of my friends quit and left me stranded to pug everything.

I randomly glanced at GW2's site and saw for some reason that it was only 25 bucks, so figured why not.

I have no idea what I'm doing and did no research on this game but for that price I decided to jump in and see how it plays out.

Now to lurk this thread and educamicate myself.

So I just unsubbed from SWTOR since all of my friends quit and left me stranded to pug everything.

I randomly glanced at GW2's site and saw for some reason that it was only 25 bucks, so figured why not.

I have no idea what I'm doing and did no research on this game but for that price I decided to jump in and see how it plays out.

Have fun. Don't rush. Explore, check out all the professions that seem interesting (even ones you might not usually try), find a race that seems to suit you, and most of all, forget everything you know about MMORPGS and just take GW2 as it happens. You'll be the better for it.

I like the megaserver boss change, but this opening of dungeons has to go, running the same dungeon path again is futile it's time to dump this system just open all dungeons..

Grayman

I have apprehensive but good feelings about the megaserver.

Pro: Filling up empty zones is good
Con: Having an algorithm bounce us around is worse than just picking.
Con: World bosses are now Clock Wars 2 the game

I was very against instances when MMOs started to go that direction and now the dynamically being pushed around to different open worlds is giving me that same feeling.

Maybe the algorithm will work horribly enough that we will get a drop down world selector like guild wars 1 towns had.

Jira

I have apprehensive but good feelings about the megaserver.

Pro: Filling up empty zones is good
Con: Having an algorithm bounce us around is worse than just picking.
Con: World bosses are now Clock Wars 2 the game

I was very against instances when MMOs started to go that direction and now the dynamically being pushed around to different open worlds is giving me that same feeling.

Maybe the algorithm will work horribly enough that we will get a drop down world selector like guild wars 1 towns had.

I think they want to avoid the negative connotations that come with instancing in that sense. Many people didn't even give GW1 a second glance when they found out everything was handled via drop down menus.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So it seems like you should 100% a zone to move on? I was barely lvl 15 when we moved on to a new area. My friend was lvl 13 with lije 85% of the zone. I had 100% of Hoelbrak as well.

Retro

God Damn. If that price sticks around when the Feature Update hits, they're gonna sell like gangbusters. If they keep it around for Season Two... God Damn.

Be sure to check out the Beginner's Tips!

I 100%ed Wayfarer Foothills :D

That's Good! You've taken your first step into a larger world.

So it seems like you should 100% a zone to move on? I was barely lvl 15 when we moved on to a new area. My friend was lvl 13 with lije 85% of the zone. I had 100% of Hoelbrak as well.

Play where you want. If you start to get bored of a zone, you can head over to another. In fact, because of down-leveling, you can go to one of the other racial stating zones and level up just as efficiently there. It won't be as challenging though.

I try not to focus on 100%'ing zones, I just sort of... go where ever looks interesting. I'm usually about 60-70% from just wandering around, so I can always come back later.

Behold Retro's photoshop skills.

Bah, I made it a point to make it look all half-tone and fugly like low-res scans of a cheap comic book. I could have spent more time to make that look more effective, but we wanted to get it done tonight.

Trey

That's what I did, generally speaking, when I first leveled. It helps to splice in some personal story because completing a mission gives you a whole lot of experience.

xeris

That's what I did, generally speaking, when I first leveled. It helps to splice in some personal story because completing a mission gives you a whole lot of experience.

Also you can do the personal stories together. And if you have the same one at the same time you both can get credit for finishing. Either way you both would get a nice chunk of xp. Like Retro said, consider trying the other starting zones as well. There's no downside really beyond taking a minute or two to go there. One other thing you may want to consider as well is doing zone completion in the starter cities. It can be dull but gives a decent reward at low levels.

Can I get an invite to GAF Guild?

La Noir Knight.4569

I have Hawkian on my contacts list but never see him online. I bought the game when it came out but really didn't get to put any time into it. So I've started back up recently and would love to represent GAF. I'm on Stormbluff Isle.

I've been running my own controller setup for my Logitech F710 controller using Logitech Profiler this past couple of weeks and have really enjoyed it. As much as I can without official support anyways. Some of these keys I don't even use like the AoE Loot & Black Lion Trading key. Draw/Sheath Weapon would be good. It could be substituted for something, just wasn't sure what to use. Here is what it looks like as far as keys go.
RB = MODIFIER KEY

X = Weapon Skill 1
Y = Weapon Skill 2
B = Weapon Skill 3
RB + X = Weapon Skill 4
RB + Y = Weapon Skill 5
RB + B = Healing Skill

A = Jump / Swim Up
RB + A = Swim Down

RT - Left Mouse Button
RB + RT = Right Mouse Button

LB = Interact
RB + LB = AoE Loot ?

LT = Dodge
LT + RB = Switch Weapons

R3 = Next Enemy
L3 = Previous Enemy
RB + R3 = Zoom In
RB + L3 = Zoom Out

DPad Left = Survival Skill 1
DPad Up = Survival Skill 2
DPad Right = Survival Skill 3
DPad Down = Elite Skill
RB + DPad Left = Professional Skill 1
RB + DPad Up = Professional Skill 2
RB + DPad Right = Professional Skill 3
RB + DPad Down = Professional Skill 4

Back = Map
Start = Inventory
RB + Back = Black Lion Trading ?
RB + Start = Hero Screen

Left Analog = Movement (Forward/Backward/Turn Left/Turn Right)
Right Analog = Mouse Movement

Anyone have suggestions? Anything that I am missing? Seems to work for me but I am open to suggestions. I mainly play solo and this setup takes that into consideration. No contacts, etc. I can upload the profile if someone wants it. Some keys will have to be bound within the game though.

Katoki

Can I get an invite to GAF Guild?

La Noir Knight.4569

I have Hawkian on my contacts list but never see him online. I bought the game when it came out but really didn't get to put any time into it. So I've started back up recently and would love to represent GAF. I'm on Stormbluff Isle.

Getting a "not found error" when trying to add you. What about a character name?

Proven

Bag slots and Bank slots are 20% off today. I'm probably going to pick up a Bank slot while I still have gems from a gem giveaway to spare. I'm going to have to shuffle things out of a personal guild bank down the line. I'm probably not going to pick up the bag slot unless I build another character for primary WvW play. The only thing I save in my bags other than alternate weapons are skins for alternate armor sets. I'm going to get some space freed up come patch day.

Edit: There's also another free repair canister and booster available.

hythloday

Today is Retro's birthday. I'll refrain from posting too much sentimental crap out of courtesy to the other people in the thread, but Retro is awesome and I <3 him.

So, Happy Birthday, [insert syrupy and embarrassing pet name here].

Lunar15

Wait... someone made a discussion side GW2 thread that was... largely positive?

BRB preparing for the end times.

Also, Happy Birthday Retro!

swnny

Happy birthday, Retro! Best wishes for a joyous day filled with love and laughter.

Now, where's the cake? :D (a ingame GW2 cake will do it just fine)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Happy Retro Day!

Little did ArenaNet know that on this date so very many years ago, their most stalwart clarion voice for all public relations matters would be popping into existence. Shame their present to you is still 10 days away. But it'll be here before you know it :D

Keep fighting the good fight my man!
I've been running my own controller setup for my Logitech F710 controller using Logitech Profiler this past couple of weeks and have really enjoyed it. As much as I can without official support anyways. Some of these keys I don't even use like the AoE Loot & Black Lion Trading key. Draw/Sheath Weapon would be good. It could be substituted for something, just wasn't sure what to use. Here is what it looks like as far as keys go.

Anyone have suggestions? Anything that I am missing? Seems to work for me but I am open to suggestions. I mainly play solo and this setup takes that into consideration. No contacts, etc. I can upload the profile if someone wants it. Some keys will have to be bound within the game though.
If I might be so bold, maybe you'd like to start from scratch with our solution and modify it to your liking. You won't be able to use the Logitech Profiler but the pad itself will work just fine. Draw/Sheath is on there!

There are some similarities to your profile but also some big differences that I worked out over time. You also didn't specify that you had any methods in place for native camera control or AOE targeting, and if so this solution will feel like a whole new world. ;D

Levyne

Banned

It can be a good thing to do at the start, but don't make it a job or a chore. Later zones can drag if you feel obligated to 100% them each time you enter a new one. Early on is kind of nice to get some levels and see the different regions.

I don't get how some people on the forums are looking at the changes coming next patch and whinge. I reckon ArenaNet could be handing out sexual favours to players and people would complain.

The next patch is going to be awesome.

1) The wardrobe. MY SKINS WILL BE UNITED. This means so much great stuff. My new alts will have access stuff long ago soul-bound to other characters from events they've never seen. I'll be able to use my Stalwart's helm (a PvP only skin) in PvE/WvW. I have a whole bunch of end-game skins from the PvP boxes you get for achievement chests and I'm looking forward to using them. This is so good. I'm really ecstatic about it - the only think I care more about than killing people is making my characters look sharp.

2) No more empty zones. Admittedly this will be a phased roll-out, but eventually it'll mean that even when there's a living story event that I'm not interested in (which is rare) I will be able to do stuff with other people in Orr.

Everything is awesome! Everyone in my guild is pretty hyped up for it.

Lunar15

I have two level 80 characters and played for nearly a year and a half, and I've only 100%'d like, two areas.

Do what you want, mix it up a bit. Definitely don't make it a chore or you'll burn out.

Morokh

Soooo I haven't played since around early 2013, I just peeked once or twice when some events started, like when they destroyed Lion's Arch, now i'm logging in today and where are all the commodities that were there ? :eek: (I guess elsewhere since it's destroyed)

Also I haven't seen anyone around or even talking in the chat, ... i'm creeped out .... xD

Zeroth

Soooo I haven't played since around early 2013, I just peeked once or twice when some events started, like when they destroyed Lion's Arch, now i'm logging in today and where are all the commodities that were there ? :eek: (I guess elsewhere since it's destroyed)

Also I haven't seen anyone around or even talking in the chat, ... i'm creeped out .... xD

Most Lion's Arch stuff moved to Gendarran Fields.... more specifically, the Vigil Keep, for the time being. That's where everyone is going to nowadays.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lion's Arch is broken. If you're looking for all the services, head for Vigil Keep Waypoint in Gendarren Fields (or of course, any of the racial cities).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom