• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceres

Banned
Through water fields? I know that it gives regeneration to the person executing the leap but never notice that it gives other people anything. I swap between Axe/shield and mace/shield depending on what I'm doing.

Digressing, axe speed with a fire sigil does wonders for output and tagging stuff which is why I use that next to my sword/warhorn swap now. It's lacking in the CC department but most people have that covered anyway since I'll follow a tag in fully committed. If I really need to catch a solo target though I have immobilize on cripple which the axe main hand has on a low cool down.

Learn your combo fields :)
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

Blasting a water field = area healing
Projectile = area regen

If you follow a commander you'll hear calls for waters and blasting.
Similar idea with lightning field + blast = area swiftness (it's usually referred to as static just because Static Field is the skill that provides it )
Fire field + blast = area might
Staff ele is very important to large groups because they can provide lightning, fire, and water fields easily.
You'll often setup groups so that there's always at least a guardian and an ele together with the commander as all area effects prioritize your party members.

It's also why people get yelled at when they drop other fields over a static.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Question, since dyes are going to be account bound now, can I delete my character to do a free world transfer and still retain the dyes?

Katoki

Learn your combo fields :)
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

Blasting a water field = area healing
Projectile = area regen

If you follow a commander you'll hear calls for waters and blasting.
Similar idea with lightning field + blast = area swiftness (it's usually referred to as static just because Static Field is the skill that provides it )
Fire field + blast = area might
Staff ele is very important to large groups because they can provide lightning, fire, and water fields easily.
You'll often setup groups so that there's always at least a guardian and an ele together with the commander as all area effects prioritize your party members.

It's also why people get yelled at when they drop other fields over a static.

People don't normally use leap finishers through a water field when someone wants you to blast it. I've played long enough to know that blasting a fire field gives swiftness so please re-read the first part of the post you quoted.

Edit: wasn't completely wrong then. Leap just gives a personal heal while the large water field provides the regeneration. The most noticeable part after the leap though is the regeneration so the direct heal itself can be completely missed by the player.

xeris

Question, since dyes are going to be account bound now, can I delete my character to do a free world transfer and still retain the dyes?

Good question. I would think you could but don't go by me. Do keep in mind that either way the change doesn't happen till the 15th so if you delete before then you WILL lose the dyes.

Ceres

Banned
People don't normally use leap finishers through a water field when someone wants you to blast it. I've played long enough to know that blasting a fire field gives swiftness so please re-read the first part of the post you quoted.

Edit: wasn't completely wrong then. Leap just gives a personal heal while the large water field provides the regeneration. The most noticeable part after the leap though is the regeneration so the direct heal itself can be completely missed by the player.

Sorry, was misreading the conversation. But yeah, leaps aren't that useful. Blast is the most important which warhorn will give warriors. Haven't played much warrior myself but I spam a lot of hammer 2s on my guardian.

But yeah, leaps aren't that useful. Blast is the most important which warhorn will give warriors.
In PvE, my favorite combo is to go on my thief and steal Throw Gunk, followed by Heartseeker's leap finisher. For some reason, mobs absolutely melt against Chaos Armor and I love it. The versatility of a leap and having it combo while starting in the field, combo while leaping through the field, or combo at the end of a leap is outstanding.

N.B. A leap's Chaos Armor lasts 5 seconds, a blast's Chaos Armor lasts 3 seconds.

Ashodin

In PvE, my favorite combo is to go on my thief and steal Throw Gunk, followed by Heartseeker's leap finisher. For some reason, mobs absolutely melt against Chaos Armor and I love it. The versatility of a leap and having it combo while starting in the field, combo while leaping through the field, or combo at the end of a leap is outstanding.

N.B. A leap's Chaos Armor lasts 5 seconds, a blast's Chaos Armor lasts 3 seconds.

Leap is satisfying as fuck. Greatsword leaping on my Guardian into a fire field and coming out all shielded like Sonic 3 is balls awesome.

How do you get to the Troll's End jumping puzzle in Lion's Arch now?

The old path doesn't work with the walkways collapsed, and every last video I've found is from before Lion's Arch got destroyed...

How do you get to the Troll's End jumping puzzle in Lion's Arch now?

The old path doesn't work with the walkways collapsed, and every last video I've found is from before Lion's Arch got destroyed...

You still can get to the same vista point that you have to use to jump on the well. Is the well no longer there?

Proven

To cap the discussion on combo fields, Leaping through water gives you a heal that's equivalent to what the blast heal would give to each individual person (~1.3k before Healing Power). It does not give Regeneration. The only reason you're seeing that boon is because most water fields in the game also give Regeneration on ticks.

Also, just like Shield Bash, Eviscerate is not a well known leap finisher. One of the scarier things for me is seeing a guy plan an Eviscerate through a fire or frost field.

Complistic

I'm sure there's a way to get it, you might need to google-fu it though. They wouldn't make a vista inaccessible for this long if it actually was blocked off now.

Moondrop

Banned
My bad. I thought I observed a PbAoE heal when using ranger sword #2 on my pet, but with further testing I appear to be mistaken. Just self-heal. Still worth it in the thick of a zerg battle.

Retro

I'm back in GW 2 now with all the patch news, if there are any spots open can I get an invite to the guild? My ID is InVinoVeritas.4863. Thanks!
Just had the wife invite you since she's already logged in. Welcome aboard.

Edit: Somebody call 911, we have a domestic situation, my wife is beating me.

Feonix

Hey everyone, I put off joining the GAF guild since I'm in a different server... but now with all the news about MEGASERVERS, I think it's time I joined up! Please send me an invite. Thanks!

Feonix.4790

hythloday

Just had the wife invite you since she's already logged in. Welcome aboard.

Edit: Somebody call 911, we have a domestic situation, my wife is beating me.

Tee hee

Hey everyone, I put off joining the GAF guild since I'm in a different server... but now with all the news about MEGASERVERS, I think it's time I joined up! Please send me an invite. Thanks!

Feonix.4790

Welcome duuuuude

Retro

Feonix.4790

There was nothing stopping you from joining GAF before; you can multi-guild game-wide, and guest to any server in your region (so, assuming you're on a NA server, you'd just need to guest to SBI).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Proven

So whatever happened to the NPC that was supposed to take the LS items from us?

Probably not appearing until May. Between the maintenance patch that tried to do as little as possible and the Feature Pack that's going to hit in another week, yeah. There's a chance it'll be snuck into the Feature Pack but I don't really expect anything until LS Season 2 starts.

frbrr

New player here, what should I be spending my laurels on?
I've only bought a few dye packs so far, but is there anything else worth buying?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New player here, what should I be spending my laurels on?
I've only bought a few dye packs so far, but is there anything else worth buying?
As a new player, literally the only thing you should really consider with laurels first is an Ascended amulet ;)

If you've earned more than enough for that already, are just waiting to get to 80 and spending the excess, then dye packs are a good way to get a bit of extra gold (or if you actually want some dyes of course :D)

frbrr

As a new player, literally the only thing you should really consider with laurels first is an Ascended amulet ;)

If you've earned more than enough for that already, are just waiting to get to 80 and spending the excess, then dye packs are a good way to get a bit of extra gold (or if you actually want some dyes of course :D)

Ok! i'll make sure to get an amulet!

This thread is awesome by the way, seeing all the positivity in here is a big part of what made me pick up the game again after quitting the day after release

Tried the trial late last year and liked it, but wanted to wait for a price drop. Lo and behold the 50% off sale and this was a pretty nice purchase at $25. Display name is CrunchyFrog.7956. I don't remember at all what kind of character I had or server I joined, but I suppose I'll find out as soon as this damn client finishes downloading.

Retro

Tried the trial late last year and liked it, but wanted to wait for a price drop. Lo and behold the 50% off sale and this was a pretty nice purchase at $25. Display name is CrunchyFrog.7956. I don't remember at all what kind of character I had or server I joined, but I suppose I'll find out as soon as this damn client finishes downloading.

Invite sent, it'll be waiting for you.

If you're not especially far in the game and not on Stormbluff Isle, and you don't have any particular reason not to roll with GAFGuild, you might as well blow up any characters you have and re-roll on SBI. Your wallet / bank is account wide so any money you have will still be there, and anything you put in the bank (including the collectables tab) can be used by your new characters.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jeez this sale is really.. you, know, selling.
Ok! i'll make sure to get an amulet!

This thread is awesome by the way, seeing all the positivity in here is a big part of what made me pick up the game again after quitting the day after release
Feel free to ask any other questions you might happen to have!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Certainly. All are welcome, and even if this is your first day in the guild, you are eligible for a 10g door prize for attending- which can be quite a boon on your first character! Guild Missions are a real trip and we encourage everyone who wants to to get on Mumble and hang out, even if you don't have a mic. You're not expected to know what they are or what to do beforehand, and I'll try to do a good job of explaining objectives as we go.

This is at 9:00PM Eastern time every Saturday. If you can't make it, we run makeup missions for our stragglers Sunday at 3:00PM EDT, though unfortunately I can't make it to tomorrow's (or next week's missions).

So, I played this during launch and a bit after that. Reached close to max level I think for the skills side, but it was getting very confusing for me in terms of what to do next. It wasn't very clear how exactly to go about gearing.

Is the gear progression more streamlined now?

Oh, and where can I find Thief changes that have happened all this time?

Retro

So, I played this during launch and a bit after that. Reached close to max level I think for the skills side, but it was getting very confusing for me in terms of what to do next.

Reaching 80 in Guild Wars 2 basically means you can go everywhere and do everything in the game, but it's still on you to decide if that's fun or not.

You can do all of the dungeons, work on map completion, dive into WvW without being up-leveled or work on an alt. You can look for Jumping Puzzles to complete for the challenge / achievements / ascended crafting materials, hunt down some world event bosses (good source of gold). Soon you'll be able to work on filling in your wardrobe with skins if that's something you'd like to do. There's also PVP reward tracks coming if you want to do that sort of thing.

Otherwise, it's "wait until the next Living Story Update" if all you really want is new content. Since you're not paying a sub, it doesn't cost you to take a break. I can't speak for everyone, but when I log on I usually pick a character and play. Each alt is kind of different so they give me different experiences.

Today I helped bring SBI's Borderlands completely under our control on my engineer, then my wife and I dinked around in Orr on our alts. I haven't really played much today since we're taking breaks to tidy up the apartment and relax.

It wasn't very clear how exactly to go about gearing. Is the gear progression more streamlined now?

It's about the same. They've added a new tier called Ascended that is mostly crafting-based, but because it's time-gated, rather expensive, and represents (at best) a 5% increase in stats, most players are still using the same Exotic-tier gear they've been using forever.

Gear Progression is basically: Level 80 > Get Exotics > Done, with Ascended as an optional step if you'd like but completely unnecessary unless you're in some kind of tryhard guild. Then there's a huge gap, then Legendary weapons.

Oh, and where can I find Thief changes that have happened all this time?

http://gw2patchnotesearch.david-reess.de/

Click Thief. Unfortunately, it only seems to go up to January, but I can't think of too many balance changes since then.

Thanks for the reply Retro.

I don't think I ever found out how to get Ascended gear back then. Will have to do some research on that and start downloading the game again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I don't think I ever found out how to get Ascended gear back then. Will have to do some research on that and start downloading the game again.
I'd actually say don't worry about Ascended gear at all except for trinkets, in the short term.

For those, you want laurels from dailies/monthly (for an amulet and possibly rings), guild commendations from missions (for accessories), and if you're interested, fractals (rings). You can also get a laurel discount by using Badges of Honor, which you get playing WvW.

For weapons, armor, and backpieces you are more than fine with exotics. (well, for trinkets too, but ascended trinkets are quite easy to get.) Ascended weapon and armor stuff is a longer-term goal, only obtainable by getting 500 crafting in the needed professions (or very rare drops), and a pretty tiny stat boost. Literally every single thing there is to do in the game can be completed with Exotic gear, or Rare gear for that matter, if you're strapped.

Exotic gear can be crafted, bought straight-up on the trading post, acquired through dungeon tokens (each dungeon has a certain few stat arrays and unique skins), bought with Karma in Orr, or bought with Badges of Honor in WvW. For your first set, I recommend a combination of the above based on the kind of content you enjoy doing the most- it'll feel much easier if you don't try to get all six armor pieces and every weapon from doing the same thing over and over.

Retro

It's fairly new (Ascended weapon crafting was added September 2013, Armor in December), so if you stopped playing before then there's no way you'd know. It's not something you can really invest into until you're 80 anyways since the materials only drop in the level 80 loot pool (for example, you can't get Empyreal Fragments from chests until you hit 80). As Hawkian said, you can scoop up Rings and stuff fairly easily, but the weapons and armor are a much more complicated ball of wax.

The shorthand version is:
Tons of Ascended Materials (which you can stockpile a ton of, but slowly)
+ Tons of older crafting materials (which are expensive now)
+ Obsidian Shards (bought with laurels, karma or fractal relics)
+ Globs of Ectoplasm (from salvaging rares / exotics)
+ Globs of Dark Matter (salvaging exotics)
+ Vendor Items (which cost money / skill points)
= Ascended Gear.​

That's also assuming you have a character with a weapon or armor-crafting profession up to 400 already. It's definitely a post-80, long term goal, and it's not that much of an improvement over Exotics.

Just started this yesterday, bought the heroic edition. Got a question. If I was to apply the skin from, say, my Krytan gloves to another pair of gloves that has better stats but looks like shit, would that be a permanent change, or could I remove it whenever I wanted and apply it to another piece of armor?

Zeroth

Just started this yesterday, bought the heroic edition. Got a question. If I was to apply the skin from, say, my Krytan gloves to another pair of gloves that has better stats but looks like shit, would that be a permanent change, or could I remove it whenever I wanted and apply it to another piece of armor?

It's a permanent change, though you can buy items with gems (the secondary currency which you can buy with real money or gold) to split them back. That said, I would avoid spending any skin you have since we'll get a wardrobe system on the 15th.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's not permanent in that you could then transmute it again to the other piece of armor. As Zeroth said though, the whole system with regard to that stuff is changing drastically in 10 days.

Happen to be interested in joining the guild? :)

Before April 15, it's costly/timely to keep your character looking 'good' while you level. I think most MMOs are like this. For any leveling you do before April 15th, I recommend just keeping it plain or ugly to save yourself money/time.

After April 15, you can make your character look like anything you want with any skin you've acquired across any of your characters with the new Wardrobe system coming out, and it won't affect the stats portion of your gear. This is when you'll be able to basically make your character look great, as long as you've acquired the great looking gear.

It's a permanent change, though you can buy items with gems (the secondary currency which you can buy with real money or gold) to split them back. That said, I would avoid spending any skin you have since we'll get a wardrobe system on the 15th.

Ah, thanks for the advice. Just read up on it. So It'll be a reversible thing after that update?

Happen to be interested in joining the guild? :)

There's a GAF guild? Would definitely be interested, yeah. Game seems fun so far, far less grindy bullshit and more consumer friendly than some other recent MMOs I've played recently.

Ludovico

Before April 15, it's costly/timely to keep your character looking 'good' while you level. I think most MMOs are like this. For any leveling you do before April 15th, I recommend just keeping it plain or ugly to save yourself money/time.

After April 15, you can make your character look like anything you want with any skin you've acquired across any of your characters with the new Wardrobe system coming out, and it won't affect the stats portion of your gear. This is when you'll be able to basically make your character look great, as long as you've acquired the great looking gear.

Do we know whether skins are going to be tied to their exact gear piece?
How do I say this...

awesome, top of page rambling mess :)
I have a pirate coat. I've never worn or even obtained pirate boots.
Does the update make it to where I can now have all pirate gear, or JUST the pirate coat?

I have a glyph great sword, so can I easily get all my other weapons to look like that, or do I have to obtain each item with that skin first?

Taffer

Do we know whether skins are going to be tied to their exact gear piece?
How do I say this...

awesome, top of page rambling mess :)
I have a pirate coat. I've never worn or even obtained pirate boots.
Does the update make it to where I can now have all pirate gear, or JUST the pirate coat?

I have a glyph great sword, so can I easily get all my other weapons to look like that, or do I have to obtain each item with that skin first?

It's tied to the exact piece, you'll have a pirate coat skin & a glyph greatsword skin to use as much as you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom