• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooo I haven't played since around early 2013, I just peeked once or twice when some events started, like when they destroyed Lion's Arch, now i'm logging in today and where are all the commodities that were there ? :eek: (I guess elsewhere since it's destroyed)

Also I haven't seen anyone around or even talking in the chat, ... i'm creeped out .... xD

Be glad you didn't log in 3 weeks ago, where you would've been killed on spot by Scarlets ravagers upon logging in.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In Gendarren? Was a nice bit of banter in there last few nights I was around. Then again, I'm at work right now, so I have no idea what it's like at this time :p

Lunar15

Soooo I haven't played since around early 2013, I just peeked once or twice when some events started, like when they destroyed Lion's Arch, now i'm logging in today and where are all the commodities that were there ? :eek: (I guess elsewhere since it's destroyed)

Also I haven't seen anyone around or even talking in the chat, ... i'm creeped out .... xD

They moved to the Vigil Keep just north of Lion's Arch in Gendarran Fields.

xeris

Today is Retro's birthday. I'll refrain from posting too much sentimental crap out of courtesy to the other people in the thread, but Retro is awesome and I <3 him.

So, Happy Birthday, [insert syrupy and embarrassing pet name here].

Happy birthday woogiebottom

Since so much time has passed, I wonder if we shouldn't collect a bunch of "important tips" into a post to reference newcomers to, or those who are returning after a long hiatus.

Things we take for granted now, but are good to know:

- You can send all resources to your bank instantly from anywhere using the 'Deposit' option under the gear at the top right of the inventory screen.
- You don't need to stick to your racial starting area if you're still levelling for Personal Story, you can take the gate to any other racial starting area.
- Exploring other starting areas will give you tons of XP due to finding Waypoints and Vistas.
- You can view your bank and collections tab from any crafting table provided you've taken that crafting profession.
- You pick two crafting professions, but you don't need to stick with them. You can swap them out at any time, and only pay a small fee to change back based on how high you've levelled that crafting.
- When sending or receiving mail, watch for the pidgeon.
- Harvesting when you're low-level gets you a bunch of experience, so always buy the starting crafting tools as soon as possible.
- When you buy the next tier of trait book, it resets all your traits, so at level 20, 40 and 60 you can respec entirely (until April 15 anyway).

I'm sure I'm forgetting a billion things.

Zeroth

Since so much time has passed, I wonder if we shouldn't collect a bunch of "important tips" into a post to reference newcomers to, or those who are returning after a long hiatus.

Things we take for granted now, but are good to know:

- You can send all resources to your bank instantly from anywhere using the 'Deposit' option under the gear at the top right of the inventory screen.
- You don't need to stick to your racial starting area if you're still levelling for Personal Story, you can take the gate to any other racial starting area.
- Exploring other starting areas will give you tons of XP due to finding Waypoints and Vistas.
- You can view your bank and collections tab from any crafting table provided you've taken that crafting profession.
- You pick two crafting professions, but you don't need to stick with them. You can swap them out at any time, and only pay a small fee to change back based on how high you've levelled that crafting.
- When sending or receiving mail, watch for the pidgeon.
- Harvesting when you're low-level gets you a bunch of experience, so always buy the starting crafting tools as soon as possible.
- When you buy the next tier of trait book, it resets all your traits, so at level 20, 40 and 60 you can respec entirely (until April 15 anyway).

I'm sure I'm forgetting a billion things.

That's actually not true, you can access the bank/collection tabs from any trading station regardless of it being your profession or not!

That said, your first tip is really good, since I often see players missing that!

Moondrop

Banned
Warrior theorycraft talk incoming. Caution, this has been known to down nearby light armor professions.

So I've committed to run a dps/tank hybrid in WvW this season (>3k attack and armor, >30% base crit), forgoing my traditional cleric gear. And so far I get why this is the meta, but I don't love it personally. The damage is swell, but getting steamrolled if caught by the enemy hammer train isn't.

Currently I'm leaning toward going back to cleric after the season. Let's put aside the discussions on "playing as I want;" obviously I can and should. Am I so unreasonable to think a shout heal warrior is a boon to a 20-30 man WvW zerg? That pumping 3000x5x4 = 60k healing into the group after the initial engage is a viable strategy? Granted, everyone in the zerg shouldn't spec this way- but knowing most will be meta, isn't there value in rounding out the force with a cleric?

There is a third option: running a shout healer with minimal investment in healing. This is probably the most reasonable solution, but I don't like it.

Now some nitty-gritty. I've converted to Warbanner and it's here to stay. But given its wind-up, it's best to have stability. Absence of stability, however, is a weakness of the shout healer. I've traditionally overcome this in the past with Signet of Rage + Lyssa runes. But given the upcoming nerf to Lyssa runes, I've just salvaged the gear I've worn since release and put the runes on the trading post this morning. So basically I hope there's stability somewhere in the revised rune sets.

I know I didn't really ask any specific questions, but feel free to leave feedback.

That's actually not true, you can access the bank/collection tabs from any trading station regardless of it being your profession or not!

Huh, I always thought the tabs were greyed out, or perhaps I'm just not thinking straight about it right now. So yeah, still a good thing to know either way.

Proven

Warrior theorycraft talk incoming. Caution, this has been known to down nearby light armor professions.

So I've committed to run a dps/tank hybrid in WvW this season (>3k attack and armor, >30% base crit), forgoing my traditional cleric gear. And so far I get why this is the meta, but I don't love it personally. The damage is swell, but getting steamrolled if caught by the enemy hammer train isn't.

Currently I'm leaning toward going back to cleric after the season. Let's put aside the discussions on "playing as I want;" obviously I can and should. Am I so unreasonable to think a shout heal warrior is a boon to a 20-30 man WvW zerg? That pumping 3000x5x4 = 60k healing into the group after the initial engage is a viable strategy? Granted, everyone in the zerg shouldn't spec this way- but knowing most will be meta, isn't there value in rounding out the force with a cleric?

There is a third option: running a shout healer with minimal investment in healing. This is probably the most reasonable solution, but I don't like it.

Now some nitty-gritty. I've converted to Warbanner and it's here to stay. But given its wind-up, it's best to have stability. Absence of stability, however, is a weakness of the shout healer. I've traditionally overcome this in the past with Signet of Rage + Lyssa runes. But given the upcoming nerf to Lyssa runes, I've just salvaged the gear I've worn since release and put the runes on the trading post this morning. So basically I hope there's stability somewhere in the revised rune sets.

I know I didn't really ask any specific questions, but feel free to leave feedback.

My personal assessment, do you need to be in the hammer train? I'm not part of any dedicated WvW guild, have only ever taken part in pug zergs, and I don't run a hammer spec. Plus I'm condition specced running full exotic Rabid. If the train needs another armored body, I can retrain my traits, add a shield, and sit at about 3400 toughness without changing armor.

But since I'm not rolling with the CC I find myself just wanting to go back to my spec. I've also found that I work well as the second wave or running just behind the train (but not as far back as the Eles and Necros). I have traited Longbow so I can add pressure from up to max range. I have traited Warhorn so I can help stragglers not get too caught out of the train by snares. I have Sword, so I can quickly dive to the side and help pick off a squishy I see out of position, or join up with the train when every bit of extra melee dps counts. Whenever stacking for fields I can help with my massive fire field and two blast finishers.

Especially if you have Warbanner and no stability, it might be better to not constantly be in the soup. You can still jump in and burst heal any time there are calls for healing/water fields, but there are no Eles nearby or there are fewer Guardians for Empower. Since you're in a WvW guild I feel like there can definitely be a possible use for this during lengthy battles. But you'll need to find something else to do in between those times.

Of course, this advice comes from the assumption that my own strategy and analysis isn't terribad.

Also, Happy Birthday Retro.

nataku

New Ready Up today an 12:00 PDT will have Colin Johanson talking about the MegaServers and the future of WvW.

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Wonder if they'll actually say anything about it this time. The blurb about WvW in the blog post was really disappointing. Honestly, it almost felt as though they had bigger plans for it but backed out detailing them at the last minute because they knew WvW players would freak out if there was a lack of details for clarity.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
Update on the Megaserver Roll-out plans

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...he-MegaServer-roll-out-plan/first#post3857828

Hey everyone!

I’m very glad and excited with your overwhelming responses regarding the MegaServer system. We are still working on establishing the best roll-out plan for this feature. I’d like to provide you with an update on our plans. It was announced on the blog post that we planned to start with the PvP Lobby, the level 1 to 15 maps, as well as the cities. As MegaServers evolved into a finished product, we have changed our initial roll-out plan.

We are now planning on releasing the system starting with the PvP lobby and low population maps, and incrementally moving onto the maps with high populations. With this approach, the behavior on level 1 to 15 maps won’t change until we’ve seen the positive confirmation from the community as well as from our metrics that MegaServer is working as expected on lower population maps.

MegaServer is a complex system, so we will be closely monitoring its deployment. We will make adjustments to our plan in accordance with the results of the roll-out. Our Quality Assurance team have performed a great job in doing an extensive testing of the game under this new paradigm, but nothing can stress out a system like a huge amount of players rushing through Tyria to rediscover the world with fellow adventurers. Which is why we’re extremely careful about that.

Please keep voicing your questions and remarks about MegaServers! We’re excited to bring out this new way of fostering our game community, and your comments are greatly helpful in doing so.

See you in Tyria!
— Samuel

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
the behavior on level 1 to 15 maps won’t change until we’ve seen the positive confirmation from the community as well as from our metrics that MegaServer is working as expected on lower population maps
I wonder what they consider a low-population map threshold. Obviously, Queensdale does not fit this description. I'm better plains of ashford and wayfarer are also not thought of as quite there. Metrica though? Won't 1-15 maps change id they are low population? Such curious!

I bet you Harathi Hinterlands is the first to be Mega now, though :D

I wonder what they consider a low-population map threshold. Obviously, Queensdale does not fit this description. I'm better plains of ashford and wayfarer are also not thought of as quite there. Metrica though? Won't 1-15 maps change id they are low population? Such curious!

Yep, looks like I'm giving away that Mini Tybalt tomorrow!

Zeroth

Timberline Falls, Dredgenaught (I cant even remember how it ends) and Diessa are prime candidates for this too. Basically, maps that don't have big importance as they are either located in unpopular regions or cover level ranges that are more likely to use other maps.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Timberline Falls, Dredgenaught (I cant even remember how it ends) and Diessa are prime candidates for this too. Basically, maps that don't have big importance as they are either located in unpopular regions or cover level ranges that are more likely to use other maps.
Dredgehaunt Cliffs, lol!

That has SE in it which is a popular dungeon, and Commissar, but you're still right. God, those three zones are all awesome, too. Diessa has totally badass hidden stuff in it. TImberline has incredible DEs and is one of the prettiest zones. Dredgehaunt has one of the most epic Meta Events in the game, really feels like you're shifting the battle lines alongside the Priory. This is honestly pretty exciting.

A side effect I hadn't considered- Guild Bounties will probably be spotted around the map quite a bit more easily? The futile "hey, anybody seen Felix? (yeah right)" in Diessa will now be being asked to everyone in North America that happens to be in that zone...

If it has the effect I'm imagining, might be fun to try and crush a T3 bounty, legit, like the old days on our first mission night after the pack update.

edit: silky smooth baby jesus. Some point over the last two weeks I broke 3,000 hours in my /age. That's just about 1000 more than I played GW1 during its full lifespan, in under two years. :O

Ludovico

The second group will definitely be going back to Arah. Take my word on it.
We'll be a lot better prepared then.

Freyjia here!

Sucks that we plugged away for so long and called it at lupus, but I'm definitely set on sweet vengeance.

Anyone have some tips for Ranger?
Spent the majority of my playtime using LB/SB/GS, what should I be looking for in stats and gear that'll increase my contributions in dungeons?

Zeroth

Ah, so the view thing is random. I was hoping it would be something in-game, but being on twitch chat means the chances of actually getting something are pretty slim.

Ah, so the view thing is random. I was hoping it would be something in-game, but being on twitch chat means the chances of actually getting something are pretty slim.

Well, the Precursor is pretty slim but finishers should be handed out pretty handily I'd think.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Love how Colin is giving subtle shout-outs about our guild without naming it.
What! What did he say
Freyjia here!

Sucks that we plugged away for so long and called it at lupus, but I'm definitely set on sweet vengeance.

Spent the majority of my playtime using LB/SB/GS, what should I be looking for in stats and gear that'll increase my contributions in dungeons?
Yeah, Lupi conquered us too. It's funny, I've probably killed him 30 times by now or so, but every once in a while it's like I get a humble-reset and feel like I'm fighting him for the first time. He clobbered me.

That's alright though. I shall fell him once more.

Jira

Hawk, he said stuff like yeah I'll have the world boss API up on my iPad and then tell my guild when stuff is up. Colin also mentioned they have big stuff still cooking in the background so there's a lot yet to come.

Retro

Birthday Posts

Thanks everybody!

Happy Birthday Retro! Where are you taking the Guild tonight to celebrate your 25th birthday? Perhaps wubwub?

Hahaha, twenty-five? I'm Rolling Stones old, son. Nearly lost an eye to a Velociraptor in a bar fight.

Anyways, we'll see, I went to Best Buy and picked up a controller, finally, so I may be preoccupied setting that up.

Because even if you gave those people exactly what they wanted, they would still complain about it.

This is pretty much a universal constant.

I'll work these into the Beginner's Tips. Been meaning to revise them soon anyways, might as well be now.

Am I so unreasonable to think a shout heal warrior is a boon to a 20-30 man WvW zerg? That pumping 3000x5x4 = 60k healing into the group after the initial engage is a viable strategy?

No and No. You're also clearing conditions with SIO! If you're using Warhorn and traited for it, you're clearing them there too, and buffing/debuffing. That's generally how I roll in WvW if I'm with a train since I don't like being right under the hammer fall.

Moondrop

Banned
My personal assessment, do you need to be in the hammer train?

Thank you, this is an interesting perspective. Yes, I absolutely want to be a spoke in the rolling wheel of death. A cleric has no problem surviving in reds circles, and I need to be fairly close such that my heals benefit the melee train. But I definitely will consider alternative positioning when it's time to banner.

No and No. You're also clearing conditions with SIO! If you're using Warhorn and traited for it, you're clearing them there too, and buffing/debuffing. That's generally how I roll in WvW if I'm with a train since I don't like being right under the hammer fall.

Yeah, I've also committed to running warhorn during more battles this season; I would generally switch to shield before an engagement. While the horn is great in itself, it's not necessarily synergistic with my build. Swiftness and movement-impairing condi clear is great, but in larger groups there is plenty of swiftness and warriors themselves generally run some combination of Dogged March, reduced condi duration runes, and lemongrass food. Vigor on 5 is always great, but the real gem is the blast finisher- particularly for a cleric giving large blast heal splashes. Lastly, it's difficult to justify the horn trait over a fourth shout.

Shield feels more fitting- shield stance counters heavy burst (the greatest threat to a cleric), the increased toughness enforces its role as a defensive weapon set swap, and many people don't know that a leap (shield #4) is also a PbAoE splash heal of the exact same magnitude as a blast.

One amusing outcome of this discussion is that I must acknowledge an RP element to my playstyle- I just like thinking of my character in a cleric role- frontline, blunt weapons, heavy armor, group utility.

I play my ranger mostly in other content, so I can't tell you the current best stats for dungeons. But I can tell you that your worth to your group will depend on your traits, abilities, and combo of weapon and playstyle. Everyone wants their ranger to run the Spotter trait to increase group precision, as well as a Frost Spirit for a 10% DPS bonus. Moreover, most don't want their rangers to stay far away from everyone else pew-pewing with a longbow, as it messes up mob aggro and positioning. I'm a big believer in shortbow for its utility and combo finishing, and I would recommend learning sword and warhorn as your swap so you can melee when necessary. Also I would consider pets with group buffs such as the Red Moa.

Grayman

So it seems like you should 100% a zone to move on? I was barely lvl 15 when we moved on to a new area. My friend was lvl 13 with lije 85% of the zone. I had 100% of Hoelbrak as well.

I would suggest not sticking strictly to 100% ing the zones in a sequence. I burnt out on it pretty quickly and quit playing for a year. I would chase dymanic events more which are the orange circles or icons on your maps. Lots of those do overlap with heart events and get them completed in a more fun way.

Because of daily events and laurels as rewards that really encourages you to move around the map to different regions. Killers, Veteren killer, events, and maybe some other dailies can sometimes because local to a region (set of zones) like Kryta, maguuma, shiverpeaks, or ascalon. It would pay you more ingame rewards to go to a zone in that area on those days.

gilljoy

Whats the quickest way to level?

Just got to level 16 with my warrior and it seems to be taking ages.

Is it hearts and events in general?

Dynamic Events are the way you're intended to level so when you're running around a zone keep an eye out for them and take part in every one that you can. Doing the smaller tasks that fill up the hearts helps but it's not efficient. Those activities are intended more as something productive to do when there aren't events up.

Mxrz

Full zerk, no fucks given. I honestly haven't had a difficult time staying alive like all the claims would have you think. Balanced stance, shake it off, defy pain, Warbanner/signet, and whatever weapons depending on the situation.

There's no real magical way to level up your first character fast. Its going to be slower cause you're learning the game. Often times the Living Story would have a PvE zerg you could be a part of, and that would level you up somewhat faster, but there's nothing right now. You could try EotM trains, but that'll be hit or miss.

Nerokis

Events give a lot of experience, yeah. I'd generally suggest to dabble in everything. As you move toward map completion (not necessarily needing to 100% a map, though), participate in events, try to gather whatever resource nodes you stumble upon, and do the occasional personal story quest. If you can get into a good rhythm leveling a profession or two, that's also a really nice boost to leveling, and also a very nice source of gear for the level range. You can eventually throw in dungeons for a nice change of pace, although PUGs are incredibly unreliable.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Three points

1) Everything gives you XP. Just exploration, waypoints, vistas, skill points, jumping puzzles, hearts, personal story, crafting, gathering nodes (made sure you have tools equipped at all times!), especially dynamic events, and killing creatures that having been killed in a while. Instead of trying to level quickly, just kind of explore the world and do stuff as you find it. If something gets boring to you, move on, every to a totally different zone- progress on hearts is saved forever, you can get relevant XP from any map at any point, etc. Don't worry about doing everything in one place before moving on unless you feel like it. I leveled a bit in the 50s in one of the 1-15 zones on my first character.

2) The rate at which you can level accelerates as you get higher up, which is counter-intuitive for RPGs, but totally true. Once you get to level 30 you can start doing dungeons, which give you oodles of XP, and the higher you get the more easily you can traverse the map for world bosses too.

3) There's no real reason to rush- you wanna use the leveling process on your first character to enjoy the world, learn the base mechanics of the game and begin to master your class. If everything you run into feels too easy, you can try content a few levels- even up to 10 if you're skilled enough- above your own. Conversely if you're having trouble with everything you run into, head to one of the other 1-15 zones and you'll still get plenty of XP.

gilljoy

Cheers guys,

This isn't my first character I've got a level 80 necro as well :)

I just want to get to level 30 asap so I can start doing dungeons etc mainly

Cheers guys,

This isn't my first character I've got a level 80 necro as well :)

I just want to get to level 30 asap so I can start doing dungeons etc mainly

If you don't have a level 20 scroll, I'd recommend doing a quick run through the starter zones, get your level as high as possible without straining, then do Personal Story, especially if you're overlevelled for it. Personal Story seems to always give half a level's worth of XP, so they're worth more if you do them later. I tend to save them for the slog from 60 to 80, beacuse doing level 1 through 30 Personal Story as a level 60 is easy, quick, and level you up like nothing. Beyond that, EotM is oodles of xp.

Katoki

Shield feels more fitting- shield stance counters heavy burst (the greatest threat to a cleric), the increased toughness enforces its role as a defensive weapon set swap, and many people don't know that a leap (shield #4) is also a PbAoE splash heal of the exact same magnitude as a blast.

Through water fields? I know that it gives regeneration to the person executing the leap but never notice that it gives other people anything. I swap between Axe/shield and mace/shield depending on what I'm doing.

Digressing, axe speed with a fire sigil does wonders for output and tagging stuff which is why I use that next to my sword/warhorn swap now. It's lacking in the CC department but most people have that covered anyway since I'll follow a tag in fully committed. If I really need to catch a solo target though I have immobilize on cripple which the axe main hand has on a low cool down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom