• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah, thanks for the advice. Just read up on it. So It'll be a reversible thing after that update?
It's reversible now... I mean, if you describe the exact situation you want to accomplish, I can tell you how to pull it off with the current setup.

After the 15th it'll be a much simpler ordeal- you can just save the skin to your wardrobe, then apply it (for the cost of one transmutation "charge") as many times as you like.

And yep! Assuming you're in NA- post your account or a character name and we'll get you in. If you're still quite early on, and interested in WvW with us, you may want to delete and remake your character on Stormbluff Isle. But otherwise you can do anything with us easily by guesting.

It's reversible now... I mean, if you describe the exact situation you want to accomplish, I can tell you how to pull it off with the current setup.

After the 15th it'll be a much simpler ordeal- you can just save the skin to your wardrobe, then apply it (for the cost of one transmutation "charge") as many times as you like.

And yep! Assuming you're in NA- post your account or a character name and we'll get you in. If you're still quite early on, and interested in WvW with us, you may want to delete and remake your character on Stormbluff Isle. But otherwise you can do anything with us easily by guesting.

You get those charges via the gem store, right? And you can buy gems with in-game currency?

Essentially, I'm currently using the Krytan armor that came as part of my heroic edition. Found some armor with better stats, but want to keep the Krytan armor appearance. From what you've said, I'll be better off waiting until the wardrobe update.

Is the game region locked? Because I'm playing in the UK.

Retro

Just an FYI; please take a moment to review the GAFGuild Policies. Not only do we have a lot of new members who should be aware of them, but we've also updated the policies to reflect recent or upcoming changes to the game. They should be pretty familiar since we modeled them on NeoGAF's own rules.

You get those charges via the gem store, right? And you can buy gems with in-game currency?

Essentially, I'm currently using the Krytan armor that came as part of my heroic edition. Found some armor with better stats, but want to keep the Krytan armor appearance. From what you've said, I'll be better off waiting until the wardrobe update.

1. You can get Transmutation Stones / Crystals via the Gemstore, but also as a reward for Map completion or as part of your Daily rewards. On the 15th, they'll be converted to transmutation "Charges"; one charge will be given for every crystal and every three stones.

1a. Yes, you can buy gems with gold via the exchange (second tab in the trading post window). You can also buy gems with a credit card or find Gem Cards at retail.

2. Kinda. You're allowed to pick which region the server you play on is in, either NA or EU. If you're in the UK, you can still roll and play on an NA server, but you won't be able to guest to or play with any of the EU servers. You can still talk to them, however. For what it's worth a lot of EU players are playing on Stormbluff Isle, and we've helped pay for quite a few of them to migrate over as well. They report minimal latency issues despite the distance.

Taffer

You can get the transmutation stones from the gemstore but fully exploring each of the racial cities (Divinity's Reach, The Grove, Rata Sum, Black Citadel,Hoelbrak) gets you some free ones too.

All the best members of GAFguild play from the UK, no fear there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

The soon-to-be-old style, transmutation stones/crystals, are in the gem store now And yeah you can convert gold to gems- the rate fluctuates throughout the day.

What you could do right now is get 100% exploration on a few of the cities- such, Hoelbrak and Divinity's Reach. Doing this usually gets you some free transmutation stones you could use to do keep the appearance/upgrade the stats. Then when the wardrobe change goes down you can just save the skins.
All that matters is what server you chose.

Ludovico

It's tied to the exact piece, you'll have a pirate coat skin & a glyph greatsword skin to use as much as you want.

Thanks for the reply. Might have to buy a few cheap pieces after the update, but this makes things a lot easier in the long run.

Just an FYI; please take a moment to review the GAFGuild Policies. Not only do we have a lot of new members who should be aware of them, but we've also updated the policies to reflect recent or upcoming changes to the game. They should be pretty familiar since we modeled them on NeoGAF's own rules.

done, sounds good

Well my current character is level 5, and in Gunnar's Hold, an EU server. Could probably just create another character in a different slot to use on Stormbluff Isle.

Speaking of worlds, does your world choice affect your personal story? Or is it just a different environment?

Retro

Well my current character is level 5, and in Gunnar's Hold, an EU server. Could probably just create another character in a different slot to use on Stormbluff Isle.

Speaking of worlds, does your world choice affect your personal story? Or is it just a different environment?

All characters are tied to the same server, so creating a new one won't solve your problem if you want to play on SBI. You can delete your level 5 character and re-roll on SBI, or keep on trucking on Gunnar's Hold (You can still be in the guild, but it will only really function as a chat room).

World choice does not affect your personal story, just your race and biography questions you answered during character creation.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nope. Unfortunately, choosing your world is for your account, and choosing an EU server means you can't play with us. But at level 5 you could just delete and remake your character on SBI, and even keep anything you put in your bank.
It's just a server, and really only matters for WvW. You can guest to other servers in the same region freely.

All characters are tied to the same server, so creating a new one won't solve your problem if you want to play on SBI. You can delete your level 5 character and re-roll on SBI, or keep on trucking on Gunnar's Hold (You can still be in the guild, but it will only really function as a chat room).

World choice does not affect your personal story, just your race and biography questions you answered during character creation.

Well that's kinda shitty. If I deleted the character, would I lose the Heroic Chest items too? I don't mind restarting, because I haven't exactly progressed very far yet. But the armor I got is pretty cool.

Aquila

Well that's kinda shitty. If I deleted the character, would I lose the Heroic Chest items too? I don't mind restarting, because I haven't exactly progressed very far yet. But the armor I got is pretty cool.

Don't hold me to it, but I think whatever you keep in your bank tabs will carry over.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
true but the armor pieces already applied would be soulbound...i'm not sure on this one. there must be a way.

Retro

You can put the Mithril Box in the bank, along with the boosters and any other items you have. Gold is automatically kept in an account-wide wallet, so you won't need to worry about that.

As for the armor, if it says "Soulbound", then it's sort of stuck on that character, though there are ways to get around it. At level 6 though, I don't think it will be, but let us know and we can go from there.

Don't hold me to it, but I think whatever you keep in your bank tabs will carry over.

Bank, Collectables Tab and Wallet are all account wide. Anything he puts in there will be safe.

You can put the Mithril Box in the bank, along with the boosters and any other items you have. Gold is automatically kept in an account-wide wallet, so you won't need to worry about that.

As for the armor, if it says "Soulbound", then it's sort of stuck on that character, though there are ways to get around it. At level 6 though, I don't think it will be, but let us know and we can go from there.

Bank, Collectables Tab and Wallet are all account wide. Anything he puts in there will be safe.

The bonus armor is account bound. It's just my starting armor that's soulbound. How do I put the mithril box in the bank? Replace it with another leather bag?

EDIT: NVM, just realised you can drag the extra bags into your inventory.

Haven't played GW2 for months but after reading this thread I am updating as we speak and pouring a scotch in preparation for a full Sunday afternoon session.

Retro

The bonus armor is account bound. It's just my starting armor that's soulbound. How do I put the mithril box in the bank? Replace it with another leather bag?

EDIT: NVM, just realised you can drag the extra bags into your inventory.

Nice, your bonus armor can definitely be used by your new character (assuming you're remaking the same character, obviously a light-armor profession can't use heavy armor skins).

Gathering tools and stuff are account bound too, so be sure to strip the old character of everything you can.

Haven't played GW2 for months but after reading this thread I am updating as we speak and pouring a scotch in preparation for a full Sunday afternoon session.

Nice, welcome back. Post your username (name.####) if you would like an invite to the GAFGuild. We play on Stormbluff Isle (NA), but if you're on any North American server you can guest over for any PVE.

Nice, your bonus armor can definitely be used by your new character (assuming you're remaking the same character, obviously a light-armor profession can't use heavy armor skins).

Gathering tools and stuff are account bound too, so be sure to strip the old character of everything you can.

Nice, welcome back. Post your username (name.####) if you would like an invite to the GAFGuild. We play on Stormbluff Isle (NA), but if you're on any North American server you can guest over for any PVE.

Yeah, I'm gonna basically recreate my guy, so I can use the same armor. Just tested it out now with a new character slot, everything I need works properly, I'll just sell off the soulbound items.

My display name is Dick Justice.9508. Included the extra four digits just in case. How does joining a guild work then? I just get a bit of mail inviting me in, and that's that?

Retro

Yeah, I'm gonna basically recreate my guy, so I can use the same armor. Just tested it out now with a new character slot, everything I need works properly, I'll just sell off the soulbound items.

My display name is Dick Justice.9508. Included the extra four digits just in case. How does joining a guild work then? I just get a bit of mail inviting me in, and that's that?

You'll have a notice in your guild menu, just click "Represent" at the bottom and you'll be in. /g will let you type in guild chat.

I just invited you too, so be on the lookout for it.

Okay, so here's a question, is one transmutation charge per ITEM or per LOOK? Like, can I go ahead and just apply a new skin to each piece of armor, and then apply it all at once for one charge?
If not, I'm not seeing how that specific part is SO MUCH BETTER other than just saving money buying the source skin's item.

Wow. Everytime I check the thread there is a new person that is coming back to GW2 or has just bought GW2. This is nice.

You'd think since ESO came out and Wildstar on its way, you'd have less people trying out GW2.

I guess gamers are just becoming smarter with their Money.

Welcome all the new people to the thread and the best guild in the world.

Ps. Game is dying.

Trey

psa, kos is our resident... whatever kos... is.

Hype man.

Okay, so here's a question, is one transmutation charge per ITEM or per LOOK? Like, can I go ahead and just apply a new skin to each piece of armor, and then apply it all at once for one charge?
If not, I'm not seeing how that specific part is SO MUCH BETTER other than just saving money buying the source skin's item.

Per item: gloves, helm, body, etc. It's better because before when you would transmute something, you would "lose" one of the skins: the skin that got overwritten. Also, it's super convenient to have every look that you acquired right there in your hero panel. Makes putting together outfit previews easier and reduces inventory and bank clutter.

Wow. Everytime I check the thread there is a new person that is coming back to GW2 or has just bought GW2. This is nice.

You'd think since ESO came out and Wildstar on its way, you'd have less people trying out GW2.

I guess gamers are just becoming smarter with their Money.

Welcome all the new people to the thread and the best guild in the world.

Ps. Game is dying.

ESO is fucking awful though. Makes sense that people would want to try something else.

You have the best username just fyi

GE8ggui.gif

Retro

Pretty sure each item is going to be one charge. If it works your way, that'd be fuckin' SWEET though.

People get excited for new MMOs, then find out how godawful they are but are still in the mood to play one. Since a lot of people already bought GW2 when it first came out and there's no sub, there's nothing stopping them from coming back and scratching that itch.

Plus, you know, it's $25 and there's a big update coming. Our gaming side comic probably helped, though I wonder just how much.

Proven

Aren't all the soulbound Heroic items recreated for every character you make on your account forever?

Zeroth

If Heroic chest items are the GW1 armors, then no, you only get one skin set and one item-version set period. They do not get created again to each new character like the personal bank golem. If you want to keep the armor chest, just deposit it in your bank and you will be able to retrieve it even if you delete all your characters.

Retro

Eso and wild star are turds.

ESO definitely is, but I think Wildstar has a decent shot at being... decent. There aren't a lot of Sci-Fi MMOs out there and the combat is supposedly okay, I've heard. It's not going to pull WoW players away from WoW (they're already established there), even if they try very very hard to cater to that style of endgame, and if that's what they're banking on then they're in trouble.

The subscription has to go, even with their CREDD system it's still too much of a barrier to entry. F2P within a year, maybe it can fit in comfortably beside Rift in the "WoW 2.0" category.

If Heroic chest items are the GW1 armors, then no, you only get one skin set and one item-version set period. They do not get created again to each new character like the personal bank golem. If you want to keep the armor chest, just deposit it in your bank and you will be able to retrieve it even if you delete all your characters.

I'm so glad this is changing on the 15th. I have so much armor stashed in my bank from all the various Living Story events and such that I've been afraid to use because I don't want to potentially lose the skin.

So I've just joined the GW2 family :)

It's on sale for $25 so I picked it up.

WELCOME ME, DAMN IT.

WELCOME TO GUILD WARS 2!

Post your username (name.####), roll on Stormbluff Isle and we'll welcome you properly!

Retro

Sajjaja.2784

It's downloading right now so I probably won't be playing right away but I can't wait.

Hmm, it's coming back as invalid. I'll try again later, maybe it's too early or something. Worst case scenario we use a character name instead.

Retro

Sajjaja.2748. I accidentally switched the last two numbers.

There we go, that worked. When you get in-game, under the guild panel (shortcut: g) you'll see the invite and at the bottom of the screen a "Represent" button. Click that and you'll be good to go (/g to type in guild chat).

As an Aussie player I wouldn't want to lag you guys out.

I will find my feet again and maybe make a new character on Stormbluff if the offer would be open still.

Appreciate the invite. :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh yeah Guild Mission after 30 mins or so.

Speaking of which I heard the 5k achievement box hands out gems. What should I spend with it?

Retro

As an Aussie player I wouldn't want to lag you guys out.

I will find my feet again and maybe make a new character on Stormbluff if the offer would be open still.

Appreciate the invite. :)

It'll cost more to transfer later and we have a couple players from your neck of the woods (at least one in Australia, a few in SE Asia) who don't have too much latency issues (at least that I've heard).

Server selection is account wide, rather than character-based, so once you pick a home that's where all of your characters will be.

Oh yeah Guild Mission after 30 mins or so.

Speaking of which I heard the 5k achievement box hands out gems. What should I spend with it?

Save em, there might be some goodies with the April 15th update.

hythloday

Tip for new players in the guild: Hit 'G' to access the guild window. Hit 'Represent' to have access to guild chat and shenanigans.

(You can be in 5 guilds at once, but only 'Represent' one at a time.)

Jobias

Is there still room in the GAF guild? I'm already setup on Crystal Desert but my current guild is almost always empty :(

jobias.1206

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for the prize! Didn't know they have miniatures for the order party members.
oh yeah! I always forget who you are on GAF XD Congrats!

And congrats to Zeroth on the big win! I'm always impressed at how big the pots get each week. Sorry I'll be missing things next time around.

For any newbies who didn't hear me at the end in chat- as a result of those 4 missions, you now have 6 Guild Commendations (they're automatically added to your account, not an actual item). If you come again next weekend for all four, you'll have 12- enough for your first Ascended accessory. :)

Proven

I'm having fun watching Arken trying to enjoy ESO on his stream.
Let me know when he gets to level 10 and can try out AvA.

oh yeah! I always forget who you are on GAF XD Congrats!

And congrats to Zeroth on the big win! I'm always impressed at how big the pots get each week. Sorry I'll be missing things next time around.

For any newbies who didn't hear me at the end in chat- as a result of those 4 missions, you now have 6 Guild Commendations (they're automatically added to your account, not an actual item). If you come again next weekend for all four, you'll have 12- enough for your first Ascended accessory. :)

Disclaimer, all Ascended equipment is level 80 only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom