• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I logged on! Yay, I have 20 gold.

So, I had some PvP reward thingy, it has these PvP Priority stuff, is that only usable during PvP?

Is 400 max level crafting?

Also, any way to find out who all is online in GAFGuild to whisper for invite?

Proven

So, I logged on! Yay, I have 20 gold.

So, I had some PvP reward thingy, it has these PvP Priority stuff, is that only usable during PvP?

Any of the PvP stuff you get, use deposit all collectibles, then use up the consumables. If there's something I'm forgetting that this doesn't cover, list it here. You'll be able to find the stuff later when you figure out what they're used for.

400 is max level crafting for Cooking and Jewelry. The other six crafting professions have 500 as the max level.

If you're not in the guild by morning our officers are slipping.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
oh yeah! I always forget who you are on GAF XD Congrats!

And congrats to Zeroth on the big win! I'm always impressed at how big the pots get each week. Sorry I'll be missing things next time around.

For any newbies who didn't hear me at the end in chat- as a result of those 4 missions, you now have 6 Guild Commendations (they're automatically added to your account, not an actual item). If you come again next weekend for all four, you'll have 12- enough for your first Ascended accessory. :)

Thanks!

That, and well, they need 5g I think.

I saw The Winter Soldier tonight instead of playing video games.

IT WAS AWESOME YOU SHOULD ALL GO SEE IT
I saw it last week; it was pretty fun to watch, but at the same time (and this is a problem I have with all the Marvel films) was very obvious from the start. Especially about the Winter Soldier. It was the most predictable thing to anyone who has read at least one issue of the Comic.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fuck, how does one play Sorrows Embrace path 2? Fuck that slow dredge needing to reach that rocky area filled with elite mobs and an endless spawning four mobs.

Moobabe

Ok - logged in for the first time in a million years.

Where do people play now? What's this birthday item I've got?

What classes are OP now in WvWvW?

I need all the juicy gossip

Trey

Ok - logged in for the first time in a million years.

Where do people play now? What's this birthday item I've got?

What classes are OP now in WvWvW?

I need all the juicy gossip

Welcome back.

People run dungeons, champ trains, and world boss trains. The "hub" (Mystic Forge, etc) is in Gendarran Fields now, as Lion's Arch was blown to shit.

Warriors are always useful in WvWvW.

And Hawkian is actually not a hawk.

He is, however, our leader.

The birthday item is just that, an item you get on a character's one/two/etc birthday. It's a mini that's kind of like a nifty trophy for you.

Grudy

As someone who didn't play WvW in a while, entering last night and finding out that desolation is now in gold league puts it on a whole new level. It's like a whole different game now! Hundred times more fun with commanders in every BL and taking it a lot more seriously with all these strategies.

Great WubWubing last night. The rams on cliff trick really messed with their minds.

Looks like HoD is whooping FA so we will have to work hard for 3rd spot.

How long does it take before you're making decent coin? Right now, my income seems pretty glacial. At level 8, done a bunch of quests, some personal missions, and still pretty broke.

Grayman

How long does it take before you're making decent coin? Right now, my income seems pretty glacial. At level 8, done a bunch of quests, some personal missions, and still pretty broke.

Depending on how you feel about crafting you could sell those materials on the trading post.

What to do with 20 locked Black Lion Chests?
You need black lion keys to open. You get 3 through out personal story (level 10, 30 and 60) I believe.

They have a very low drop chance from mobs and from dailies.

You can buy the on the gem store by converting gold into gems or spending real money.

Morokh

Can I get an invite ?

Kentsui.4930

Been playing around the week end, and I can really see that the number of players on the server is down from when I stopped playing, because by then even at night you could do world events, nowadays ... no one :p but the mega servers will surely fix that.

Zeroth

Depending on how you feel about crafting you could sell those materials on the trading post.

I can't really recommend that because eventually, everyone turns to crafting for some reason, and the early money is not really worth it when you see the big picture.

hythloday

Can I get an invite ?

Kentsui.4930

Been playing around the week end, and I can really see that the number of players on the server is down from when I stopped playing, because by then even at night you could do world events, nowadays ... no one :p but the mega servers will surely fix that.

Gotcha! Welcome!

Retro

Alright, everyone who's posted should be invited now. Remember, post your username (name.####) or a character name to get an invite ASAP.

Agh! I didn't know that stuff was used for ascended equipment. That sucks. Oh well, future missions will exist.

I don't think we've missed a week when it comes to missions, so as long as you can make the time you can get the comms.

You can get all but Chef and Jeweler up to 500 because of Ascended Crafting. I'm not sure what their plans are for Jeweler, but I would bet dollars to donuts they add fishing to the game somehow for "Ascended Cooking". Which sounds absurd, but... shrug.

Seems there's a free Gathering Booster and Repair Canister on the store today:

GE223pm.jpg

Also:

When a Guardian casts Aegis on others, I really wish it was visualized with neat holy glowing arcs that beam out from the Guardian and hit the party members it's applied to. So much buffing/debuffing happens almost invisibly, as just icons being applied/removed. It's a pity. I sometimes feel like the visual language for the game in terms of weapon/spell effects wasn't particularly well thought out, or rushed. There's very little thematic coherence in the spell visual effects, other than basic tells.

Proven

I saw it last week; it was pretty fun to watch, but at the same time (and this is a problem I have with all the Marvel films) was very obvious from the start. Especially about the Winter Soldier. It was the most predictable thing to anyone who has read at least one issue of the Comic.
Haven't seen it yet, but I can take a guess as to what you're implying... and I'll wait until I see it before I decide it's better than what they did with Iron Man 3
(which I thought was a cool way to surprise comic readers but it also ruined a really cool villain from the comic)
. At least with Iron Man 3 I can see that they went with that because they wanted to stop the movies at a trilogy instead of keeping it going.

When a Guardian casts Aegis on others, I really wish it was visualized with neat holy glowing arcs that beam out from the Guardian and hit the party members it's applied to. So much buffing/debuffing happens almost invisibly, as just icons being applied/removed. It's a pity. I sometimes feel like the visual language for the game in terms of weapon/spell effects wasn't particularly well thought out, or rushed. There's very little thematic coherence in the spell visual effects, other than basic tells.

I can agree that I would like more visualization, but there are decent enough tells for every boon (along with character lines) if you're paying enough attention even in a heated skirmish. Might gives your hands a fiery glow, Swiftness causes a swirl around your feet, Retaliation causes spikes on your arms (this is the hardest to notice in my opinion, and is more helpful to look for on enemies), Aegis has the shield (again, more for enemies), Protection has an aura zoom in on you before leaving a couple of glowing circles... Vigor, Fury, and Regeneration are really the only ones that don't have much of anything, although in the case of Fury it's often paired with Might.

A lot of these same types of cues are used for when conditions pop onto enemies to let you know immediately that there's something you can capitalize on. Poison, Burning, Immobilize, Torment, Chill, Cripple, Confusion, Blind... when you see these tells on an enemy you know you can press an advantage. The effect of Bleed is the same as an arrow coming off screen and hitting your opponent; sudden health drop.

While it can be hard at times, if you're used to your own animations then when something good happens to your or something bad happens to your opponent that you know didn't come from your character, you can often catch the animation from one of your allies that caused it. If not, then after the fight you can ask about it, which leads into people learning more detail about each other's abilities and naturally turns into how to work together better.

Lunar15

Could you imagine if Scarlet's story arc was handled the other way around?

What if one of the first things she did was destroy lion's arch, and then from there we had to stop her from destroying something else. I only mention this because walking around the destroyed Lion's Arch makes me really dislike scarlet in the *right* way. You'd want to get revenge for an act like that, but oops, she's already dead. For a character that needed more reasons for us to fight her, I think it's funny that she gave us the biggest one right after we killed her.

I can agree that I would like more visualization, but there are decent enough tells for every boon (along with character lines) if you're paying enough attention even in a heated skirmish. .

Oh, I know they're all there and I see them easily enough, but I think they're too rapid, and too understated. I'd like it if the visual langage of them all was slowed down a bit, given some 'hangtime' as it were. It'd give each class more visual texture on the field, especially during large skirmishes where 90% of stuff is lost in Bloom or just body geometry.

I think by giving some verticality to the effects, having things arc *over* players to other players, or enemies, would add an additional layer to things that's needed to give it that extra oomph.

This isn't what I personally want, I think it's what the game needs.

Thanks for the heads up; just logged in real quick and picked up both. Do they have these kind of freebies often?

For the last few months they've been doing it randomly, but I'm not sure if it's a regular thing going forward.

---

None of my shots from the guild runs last night were any good, so here's some throwaways:

BZBOOFq.jpg

54KFPOh.jpg

By4Avf0.jpg

Zeroth

What if one of the first things she did was destroy lion's arch, and then from there we had to stop her from destroying something else. I only mention this because walking around the destroyed Lion's Arch makes me really dislike scarlet in the *right* way. You'd want to get revenge for an act like that, but oops, she's already dead. For a character that needed more reasons for us to fight her, I think it's funny that she gave us the biggest one right after we killed her.

They are just building up for her return on S2 as a member of Braham's party.

Retro

Should have been a LOT more damage to Divinity's Reach during her attack. Instead she just goofed around in the Pavilion when she should have been blowing up the city block-by-block or something.

Right now LA is just wasting space. Better do something about that place.

Pretty sure ArenaNet has a plan, but I'm also pretty sure they know it can never be rebuilt 1:1 without disappointing a lot of people (myself included) and they can't just have it magically happen. It needs to be a long, on-going process, hopefully one players are involved in. It'd be cool if they took the Cutthroat Politics approach and had players cast votes for what structures get built first.

Went out for a drive today. Had to stop for the view and so my car could graze.

Hahaha, perfection.

Grayman

With the old new lions arch being built of smashed boats it should look very different if rebuilt. They could go the route of each group rebuilding it, then it would take on looks of each race's style, a new faction could impose their will on the new lion's arch, or it could usher in a new age of tyrian architecture.

hythloday

What exactly happened to LA in GW2?

In short, an insane Sylvari genius named Scarlet attacked and fucked it up good with an army she pieced together over the past year, comprised of Aetherblade pirates with airships, dredge, flame legion, krait and Nightmare Court sylvari. In the water you can see the remains of a massive drill she was using to drill down to magical "ley lines" to disrupt the flow of magic under the city.

Over the course of Living Story Season 1, we had to stop attacks from Scarlet in various places all over the world while also figuring who the hell she was in the first place and what her motive was.

She woke up an Elder dragon in Maguuma with the drill. We'll find out more in Season 2!

(Feels weird typing that all out without "Spoiler" tags, but since it's all Living Story content it's basically all in the past and common knowledge now. There's some parts of it that can be replayed in various places like boss fights in the Fractals, but the rest of it is history.)

It's my hope that someday they'll add some type of "Campaign Mode" that will house both Personal and Living Story segments so players can re-visit game history anytime. That would free them up to make major changes to more zones and even characters without causing too much of a perceived disconnect between the ongoing LS and the rest of the game.

Edit: Or were you asked about what happened to it between GW1 and GW2? That's a story too!

Complistic

I'm hoping over time LA turns into it's own explorable zone complete with enemies and events. Maybe some pirates decide to move in and make it their own. Or ghosts. Ghosts would be awesome. White mantle ghosts and mursaat.

Oh my. I'm sure they've got something for it planned. Would be a waste to just leave it empty.

My guild got together today and we weren't sure what to do, so I suggested something based on knowing that one out of the three of us didn't have an achievement for it yet and hadn't actually ever even been to the location where you get it.

We set out from Straights of Devastation towards Cursed Shore (since they didn't have any Waypoints closer). Along the way we helped with a Lyssa fight that only had about 10 people doing it, and it went surprisingly well.

Once we reached Cursed Shore, we boarded the Death's Anthem. The goal was to reach the lower decks for the Grounded achivement and to kill Risen pirate Captain Rotbeard.

vloXuaR.jpg

If you've ever fought Rotbeard, you'll know he's no pushover. So I announced in Mapchat what our intentions were, made note of the achievement, and asked if anyone else wanted in. We got about four people, so the seven of us went down and after a heck of a fight, killed Rotbeard and everyone got the achievement.

The players we picked up were very thankful for being told about the achievement, they didn't know about it at all. One of the players was a vet and didn't know it had been added either, since apparently he never bothered with Cursed Shore at all since launch, until this week.

It's funny how the little things, or simple things, can be the most fun. So much of GW2 is "on rails" these days because of players having made it that way, it's nice to just break out of the loop and go off to do something else.

Proven

Rotbeard.

Dammit, I've been down there before and never beat the guy. I didn't know there was an achievement tied to him. And they added it post launch?

But seriously, if you see a giant grounded pirate ship in a video game, why wouldn't you explore to the bottom to take its booty? The achievement would just be gravy.

In short, an insane Sylvari genius named Scarlet attacked and fucked it up good with an army she pieced together over the past year, comprised of Aetherblade pirates with airships, dredge, flame legion, krait and Nightmare Court sylvari. In the water you can see the remains of a massive drill she was using to drill down to magical "ley lines" to disrupt the flow of magic under the city.

Over the course of Living Story Season 1, we had to stop attacks from Scarlet in various places all over the world while also figuring who the hell she was in the first place and what her motive was.

She woke up an Elder dragon in Maguuma with the drill. We'll find out more in Season 2!

(Feels weird typing that all out without "Spoiler" tags, but since it's all Living Story content it's basically all in the past and common knowledge now. There's some parts of it that can be replayed in various places like boss fights in the Fractals, but the rest of it is history.)

It's my hope that someday they'll add some type of "Campaign Mode" that will house both Personal and Living Story segments so players can re-visit game history anytime. That would free them up to make major changes to more zones and even characters without causing too much of a perceived disconnect between the ongoing LS and the rest of the game.

Edit: Or were you asked about what happened to it between GW1 and GW2? That's a story too!

Yay, new dragons.

They should release a cinematic of the new dragon awakening.

Retro

Sorry about ducking out in the middle of the Rush earlier, I had dinner with the In-laws and we didn't want to be late. Hope everyone got their comms who needed them.

What exactly happened to LA in GW2?

This is what it was for a whole year and a half, a city players logged in and out of on a constant basis. It's as much to a 'home' as Guild Wars 2 characters have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MzZyZ-ty8

Then this happened in February:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7VrDhEnzFQ

Then THIS happened in March (Skip this if you already clicked Jira's link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjfybC7pm-I

And here is what it looks like now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZd7HKXct9o

And that's why the Living Story kicks so much ass even when it's built around a not-terribly-good character like Scarlet. Because big things happen and stay that way.

I'm hoping over time LA turns into it's own explorable zone complete with enemies and events. Maybe some pirates decide to move in and make it their own. Or ghosts. Ghosts would be awesome. White mantle ghosts and mursaat.

Oh my. I'm sure they've got something for it planned. Would be a waste to just leave it empty.

I have a feeling we'll see the rebuilding of Lion's Arch used as the centerpiece of some future update. A few people on Reddit have suggested that's how they'll incorporate player housing, but I don't think so.

So what is the best way to get Agony Resist up? Currently I'm 30 AR but trying to delve higher into fractals. I'm getting those +1 AR infusions, I think 4 of them per fractal. I believe I can craft those into a single high AR infusion. And there's no limit on it? So I can have, say 20 AR on a single ring? Does the ring have to be the infused variant or will the regular version work? thanks.

Mxrz

It has to be the "infused" kind, that gives you the extra agony infusion slot. - If you're rich enough to afford the good ones, or don't mind giving up the cheap wvw stat infusions, you can also get another +10 AR from weapons, another +30 from armor.

After nearly a year, I finally snagged a skin I've been wanting. Its a little understated, but this sort of progression is nice. In past MMOs I've played, a year old thing would likely be trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom