• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still can't figure out how SE2 is done, especially during "bring Tarleov to this stupid rock while a bunch of elite dredge and an endlessly spawning elite dredge foursome is in your way"

Mxrz

Oooh, which one?

Sclerite GS. For a long time these things were well out of reach for me.

Just had two real idiots in CoF. Whine a lot, not level 80, insult people. Get to the end, throw childish tantrum. Real shame you can't punch people over the Internet.

Boss Doggie

Just had two real idiots in CoF. Whine a lot, not level 80, insult people. Get to the end, throw childish tantrum. Real shame you can't punch people over the Internet.

why are they still crying after getting over?

Mxrz

No fear of being kicked after they got the reward chest, I'd guess. It was mostly likely just two idiot kids wanting attention. As soon as we got in they started pinging their ascended rings. I joked on mumble we should've pinged all our ascended junk, too.

Meh it happens. At times it does feel like pugs are getting worse though.

I still can't figure out how SE2 is done, especially during "bring Tarleov to this stupid rock while a bunch of elite dredge and an endlessly spawning elite dredge foursome is in your way"

I found that you shouldn't focus too much on trying to clear the mobs, just whatever is stopping Tarlov from progressing. It's a battle of attrition, really. Reflects help a lot, and if someone has aggro they can run the mobs off. But if you kill them, more respawn, so ideally you want to just kite them away.

Retro

That's fairly rare too, most people don't care for it but it has a certain charm to it. One day Necromancers will be able to wield Greatswords and everyone's gonna want one.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
<3 Teakettle fights.

IXvfNxp.jpg

Boss Doggie

I found that you shouldn't focus too much on trying to clear the mobs, just whatever is stopping Tarlov from progressing. It's a battle of attrition, really. Reflects help a lot, and if someone has aggro they can run the mobs off. But if you kill them, more respawn, so ideally you want to just kite them away.

Problem is Tarlov likes to attack too.

Ugh...

Ceres

Banned
Would anyone be interested in running the BL and Obsidian Jump puzzles this week? They're part of the WvW season achievement so worth getting done in an easy matchup like this. I just did mine yesterday and only ran into one helpful BP player in OS. I know Retro started it shortly after I mentioned in chat that there was no one trolling the puzzle.

I can bring my mesmer and portal anyone lazy.

Lets say Wednesday at 9pm EST?

friday

I know this is old news but I went to LA last night for the first time since the event...damn. Kinda crazy how they destroyed the whole place. I never hit 80 and have not been around at all since launch but I think I want to get my warrior max level so I can enjoy the living story. I am 56 now, hopefully I can make it before the next part goes down.

I don't think I am on GAF's server, so I guess I will have to wait for the megaservers update before I can join.

Ceres

Banned
I know this is old news but I went to LA last night for the first time since the event...damn. Kinda crazy how they destroyed the whole place. I never hit 80 and have not been around at all since launch but I think I want to get my warrior max level so I can enjoy the living story. I am 56 now, hopefully I can make it before the next part goes down.

I don't think I am on GAF's server, so I guess I will have to wait for the megaservers update before I can join.

You can join the guild still. As long as you're on an NA server, you can guest to Stormbluff Isle for guild events or anything else. And dungeons don't require you to be in the same server at all. The only thing you're missing out on is running WvW with the guild which could potentially be changing in the near future.

Zeroth

Would anyone be interested in running the BL and Obsidian Jump puzzles this week? They're part of the WvW season achievement so worth getting done in an easy matchup like this. I just did mine yesterday and only ran into one helpful BP player in OS. I know Retro started it shortly after I mentioned in chat that there was no one trolling the puzzle.

I can bring my mesmer and portal anyone lazy.

Lets say Wednesday at 9pm EST?

I've done OS earlier last week without much problem (even helped a FA), and did the other JP yesterday without any problem on our BL and in BP BL, but I'm certainly up to help anyone with them.

It really helps to read the Wiki sometimes before buying things off the auction house, especially armour. I was looking for a full Dire set for my Mesmer, but noticed the crafted Dire stuff is really pricy. The Dire Exalted Coat alone is 4g19s. On a hunch, I went checking the wiki for armour with the Dire stat set, and found that the Jatoro set which drops randomly has the *exact* same stats, but lo and behold, it's *half the price* of the crafted stuff. The Coat is only 2g9s.

So when you're trying to find a stat set armour for your alts and buying it off the AH, be sure to go check the Wiki for any named sets that won't show up if you search for the Prefix (like Jatoro won't show if you search for "Dire"). Could save you some money.

Sadly, the Orrian and Ceremonial Dire weapons aren't cheaper than crafted Dire stuff.

Moondrop

Banned
Mesmer theorycraft incoming. Beware, this has been known to cause blurred vision and dizziness.

So I don't really like my noob phantasm build in WvW anymore, and I don't enjoy shatter much either. The following concept isn't new, but a brief search didn't yield any particularly similar results.

Frontline Cleric Mantra Mesmer (sung to tune of TMNT)
  • Cleric gear - Mesmers have so little AoE, why not go support?
  • Dueling VI - Reduced mantra recharge, obviously
  • Dueling VII - Bonus toughness while channeling mantras in zerg combat
  • Dueling XIII - New trait for 3s distortion on kill
  • Inspiration IV - Condition removal on heal always useful
  • Inspiration VIII - Projectile reflection (here for focus) is a large part of this support portfolio
  • Inspiration X - Heal on mantra cast is the defining trait of this build
  • Illusions IV - Even more reflection (now on distortion) sounds tasty
  • Mantra of Recovery - AoE heal, self-heal and condi-cleanse
  • Mantra of Concentration - AoE heal and stability, self stun-break
  • Mantra of Resolve - AoE heal and condi-cleanse
  • Veil/Portal - Swap as necessary for group utility
  • Mass Invisibility - Very useful for resurrecting allies
  • Scepter/Sword - Melee defense (two blocks, torment, confusion)
  • Sword/Focus - Ranged defense (three reflects, invuln, ranged AoE hard CC)
I won't speculate on sigils and runes before the overhaul, but you've got the idea: group heal, stability, and condi cleanse plus multiple sources of projectile reflection plus traditional mesmer veil/portal utility. Feedback?

xeris

Ceres already mentioned that server doesn't matter if you're in the NA zone. Just post your username.number here or whisper an officer in guild and we can get you in ASAP.

Also, you don't need to be 80 to do the Living Story. Just about everything so far has up-leveled everyone to 80 when necessary. At 56 you should have no trouble. I've leveled up alts that were in there teens in some of the episodes.

Jira

It's important to note that GW2 isn't like other games where the updates are focused only on the level cap. Typically speaking, the zone that the LS takes place in usually will scale you to 80 so you could come in at level 2 if you wanted. Also important to note that Living Story season 1 ended in March and Season 2 is likely a month away.

Dire is not as good?

Dire is Cond Damage / Vit / Tough while Rabid is Cond Damage / Precision / Tough, if I'm not mistaken. I went for Dire myself because I want survivability, as I'm not 100% on playing a Mesmer yet. I want to try doing dungeon runs with my Mesmer, to get a feel for the Mesmer utility in group play.

You would what would be sweet? A site where you enter in all the crafting mats you have, what your crafting professions are levelled to, and it lets you easily see what weapons/armour you can craft, like if you're trying to kit out an alt.

swnny

Any of you guys tested the new nVidia 337.50 beta driver?
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-337-50-beta-performance-driver

Supposedly, it should increase the performance in CPU bound games. It's mostly for DX11 games, but some of the optimizations should work across all APIs:
As with 337.50 Beta’s single-GPU DirectX 11 optimizations, CPU overhead reductions apply globally, benefitting the majority of DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and DirectX 11 games the instant they go on sale. Per-game optimizations will continue to be developed before and after a game’s release, but now every game can potentially see an immediate boost.

And in the guru3d forum, there are few comments, that there is a bit of improvement. Unfortunately, I cannot try it myself at the moment... Anyone willing to do a "then and now" comparison with the old and new drivers?

And in the guru3d forum, there are few comments, that there is a bit of improvement. Unfortunately, I cannot try it myself at the moment... Anyone willing to do a "then and now" comparison with the old and new drivers?

I'm on it. I've just run a 60 second baseline fraps benchmark, and downloading the driver. Will run the same benchmark, doing roughly the same thing, once it's done. (I ran from the WP just outside BC in Diessa, to the WP to the north, rotating the camera along the way - that area always chunks a heck of a lot due to Umbra's damn culling).

swnny

I'm on it. I've just run a 60 second baseline fraps benchmark, and downloading the driver. Will run the same benchmark, doing roughly the same thing, once it's done. (I ran from the WP just outside BC in Diessa, to the WP to the north, rotating the camera along the way - that area always chunks a heck of a lot due to Umbra's damn culling).

Cool, thanks mate! Looking forward for the results, and I hope we will see at least some improvement. :)

Cool, thanks mate! Looking forward for the results, and I hope we will see at least some improvement. :)

Once it installs. Been sitting on "preparing for installation" for 30 minutes..... - Nvidia. :/

EDIT: There we go, finally.

Double-edit: Well crap. This driver breaks my SLI completely, so a benchmark would be pointless, since I set the baseline using SLI, and now... I have no SLI at all.

Final edit: Looks like I'm going to have to roll back. These drivers are not ready for prime-time at all. I really, *really* hope this isn't what the release candidate is going to be like. If they've broken my SLI permanently moving forward, I'm going to be kind of ticked.

PSA: DO NOT INSTALL THE BETA DRIVERS - I removed them but now every time I try to install a clean install of the previous release version, bluescreen. Can't finish installing drivers at all now. I'm in a bit of a pickle.

IGN interview with Colin Johanson:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04...rmanently-changing-guild-wars-2s-living-world

Also, the comments in that MMORPG.com article are fucking hilarious in a tin-foil hat conspiracy nut kinda way ("LA was destroyed to force players to buy airship tickets!"). I see a GAFguild member in there refuting it, but you can't argue with crazy and win.

This is why I try to avoid articles on massively as well when it comes to gw 2. Always the same group of conspiracy nuts, pure haters, and trolls.

IGN interview with Colin Johanson:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04...rmanently-changing-guild-wars-2s-living-world

Also, the comments in that MMORPG.com article are fucking hilarious in a tin-foil hat conspiracy nut kinda way ("LA was destroyed to force players to buy airship tickets!"). I see a GAFguild member in there refuting it, but you can't argue with crazy and win.

My grand Season Two prediction is that the dragon that was controlling Scarlet was not the same dragon that Scarlet woke up.

We know from earlier lore that dragons are weaker if they wake up too early. I bet some other dragon is trying to manipulate Tyrians into waking sleeping dragons, so that they wake up weakened until only one superdragon remains.

Retro

This is why I try to avoid articles on massively as well when it comes to gw 2. Always the same group of conspiracy nuts, pure haters, and trolls.

There are some people who just flat out don't like the game, and as long as it's not based on misinformation, that's never bothered me. Opinions, I know how they work.

Then there are some people who want the game to fail for some strange, deeply-personal reason, as if its mere existence is upsetting the balance of the universe. They simply cannot allow Guild Wars 2 to be mentioned anywhere at any time without making some kind of generic, incendiary comment. More often than not, that's just the bait so they can really go off on a rant, which is what they wanted to do in the first place but they can't because then it looks like straight up trolling instead of "just defending their opinion". If you've read any MMO thread here on GAF, you probably now have a specific individual in mind, a very reliable little spark of hyperbolic hate. This type of poster, as long as they don't achieve their goal of derailing the thread, can even be a little cute.

Then you have the guy who shits in jars because the government is stealing his poop and is convinced ArenaNet isn't just a game developer trying to turn a profit, but is actually a malicious organization seeking to destroy gaming as we know it. They achieve this nefarious goal by advertising as B2P and then deviously brainwashing the sheep or sneakily forcing players to pay-to-win under the guise of content or convenience. The next thing you know, you're getting an ArenaNet chip implanted in your head!

These people, who are the ones in the MMORPG.com comments, are fucking hilarious.

My grand Season Two prediction is that the dragon that was controlling Scarlet was not the same dragon that Scarlet woke up.

We know from earlier lore that dragons are weaker if they wake up too early. I bet some other dragon is trying to manipulate Tyrians into waking sleeping dragons, so that they wake up weakened until only one superdragon remains.

It wouldn't surprise me, and you were pretty much 100% right in your Megaserver theory, but I'm not sure. The established lore is that dragons are more like forces of nature and just want to devour all the magic, at which point they pass out from all that binging and sleep for another few millennia until the sweet aroma of fresh-cooked magic wakes them up for another go-round. However, the Zhatain's Eyes and Mouth were definitely sentient, which kind of implies that the dragon can instill sentience in it's minions (though more often than not they're just mindless killing machines, ala the Risen, Branded, Frostbrood, etc.). That in itself kind of implies the dragons themselves are sentient and aren't just purely destructive forces, like a living embodiment of a hurricane, but something capable of plotting.

Maybe after who-knows-how-many cycles of feeding and slumbering, one of the dragons has decided he wants to be the only dragon. Hell, for all we know, the Dragons could eat all that magic and then wage their own private war on each other for supremacy, but none have been able to overcome the others before they run out of magic. If you buy into the Sylvari-as-dragon-minions theory, maybe the Pale Tree seeds were planted so the Jungle Dragon could have an army spawn early and undermine the other dragons. They've certainly been instrumental in stopping one of them already...

Ceres

Banned

I can't wait till the final living story season when the game comes to an end and we find out its been a silvari dream all along that is part of the Tommy Westphall universe.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
wow the people making those arguments about the cash shop/pay2win/Candy Crush should take some time off playing videogames and become defense attorneys

Jira

wow the people making those arguments about the cash shop/pay2win/Candy Crush should take some time off playing videogames and become defense attorneys

I often say that anyone who thinks GW2 is Pay2Win have never actually played a P2W game before and have no idea what the term actually means.

Imagine for a moment that the only way to get Ascended gear was to pay money to unlock access to it and that it was required to take part in say all Living Story content. THAT kind of stuff DOES exist in the MMO world, but it's mostly in shitty F2P Chinese games. Though Neverwinter is also awful where you have to pay real money to respec your character each time.

I tend to just take the simplest explanation approach here. The dragons haven't shown to have any sort of dragon versus dragon infighting to suggest one is out to control the others.

I'd say scarlett wasn't just a puppet though, as her own diary suggest she had a personal agenda that she was convinced she was following. I think that disrupting the dragon's awakening was her goal, but the whole 'kill anyone who is capable of stopping a dragon' was the dragon's work.

The frightening thing to me seems to be that not only do the dragons know about Zaitan's fate, they know who was responsible and are capable to altering their plans to account for it.

Which makes me wonder, how many other scarlet in the making are out there, ie, corrupted champions or dragon agents that have yet to show themselves?

Zeroth

I tend to just take the simplest explanation approach here. The dragons haven't shown to have any sort of dragon versus dragon infighting to suggest one is out to control the others.

I'd say scarlett wasn't just a puppet though, as her own diary suggest she had a personal agenda that she was convinced she was following. I think that disrupting the dragon's awakening was her goal, but the whole 'kill anyone who is capable of stopping a dragon' was the dragon's work.

The frightening thing to me seems to be that not only do the dragons know about Zaitan's fate, they know who was responsible and are capable to altering their plans to account for it.

Which makes me wonder, how many other scarlet in the making are out there, ie, corrupted champions or dragon agents that have yet to show themselves?

Can't wait til Evon supporters start claiming Kiel is an agent of the dragons.

Ceres

Banned
Anyone who thinks Guild Wars 2 is pay to win should spend a few months playing a game like Marvel: War of Heroes on their Android or iPhone. The people who "win" at this game have to regularly spend $100s because they're rolling out new cards on a weekly basis that provide huge increases in the weekly events. That, or people are constantly creating feeder accounts in attempts to roll great cards in the packs that are given for completing low level assignments.

Spending money to buy something like an airpass doesn't win you anything beyond convenience which had already existed in the form of the royal pass.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
the comments on the mmorpg article have been really amusing to me in my little breaks setting up for our conference here... this is the first I've ever seen of someone making the argument that pay2win has a subjective definition. I remain unconvinced that it means anything other than what I used to think, and that sure as hell does not have anything to do with how your character looks or how many feet you have to walk from your bank to a merchant.

as I kept reading and the captain's passes thing kept coming up, I started to get a little pissed though. no one is mentioning vigil keep. this comment
Every freely available location is missing something. No single location has it all. Well, that is, unless you pay or grind for it. Down play the significance of the work-around however you want. ANET introduced an increased level of inconvenience to the players with alternatives behind pay-walls. Period. It's the direction this ship has sailed in.
is just a bold-faced, balls-out lie and should be corrected. vigil keep is a whole one fucking zone away from lions arch.

I think it's safe to say that anyone who would argue that GW2 is pay to win, and not just saying so because they were misinformed, is beyond redemption.

Jira

the comments on the mmorpg article have been really amusing to me in my little breaks setting up for our conference here... this is the first I've ever seen of someone making the argument that pay2win has a subjective definition. I remain unconvinced that it means anything other than what I used to think, and that sure as hell does not have anything to do with how your character looks or how many feet you have to walk from your bank to a merchant.

as I kept reading and the captain's passes thing kept coming up, I started to get a little pissed though. no one is mentioning vigil keep. this comment

is just a bold-faced, balls-out lie and should be corrected. vigil keep is a whole one fucking zone away from lions arch.

Or you know the whole other FIVE cities you can go to?

Any of you guys tested the new nVidia 337.50 beta driver?
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-337-50-beta-performance-driver

Supposedly, it should increase the performance in CPU bound games. It's mostly for DX11 games, but some of the optimizations should work across all APIs:

In addition to Miktar's experience, I really don't see much positive feedback in either the reddit or official forum threads about the driver. Someone put up a Youtube video with the driver, but didn't include information prior to update for comparison:

That's with an i7 920 @ 3.5 and 780Ti.

I went to the same area and maintained a rock solid, vsynced, 60 fps with an i5 3570K @ 4.6 and 780Ti.
Just more emphasis on how important IPC per core is in MMOs. The regulars at the Build a PC thread contend that an i7 920 remains good enough for modern games as long as the OC is high enough.

The Youtube video was captured with Shadowplay, which could also contribute to framerate loss but during Durante's own experience with it he didn't notice any framerate loss in GW2. For this game I'll wait until Nvidia releases a driver specifically addressing GW2 or DX9. Which is probably never.

Proven

Mesmer theorycraft incoming. Beware, this has been known to cause blurred vision and dizziness.

So I don't really like my noob phantasm build in WvW anymore, and I don't enjoy shatter much either. The following concept isn't new, but a brief search didn't yield any particularly similar results.

Frontline Cleric Mantra Mesmer (sung to tune of TMNT)
  • Cleric gear - Mesmers have so little AoE, why not go support?
  • Dueling VI - Reduced mantra recharge, obviously
  • Dueling VII - Bonus toughness while channeling mantras in zerg combat
  • Dueling XIII - New trait for 3s distortion on kill
  • Inspiration IV - Condition removal on heal always useful
  • Inspiration VIII - Projectile reflection (here for focus) is a large part of this support portfolio
  • Inspiration X - Heal on mantra cast is the defining trait of this build
  • Illusions IV - Even more reflection (now on distortion) sounds tasty
  • Mantra of Recovery - AoE heal, self-heal and condi-cleanse
  • Mantra of Concentration - AoE heal and stability, self stun-break
  • Mantra of Resolve - AoE heal and condi-cleanse
  • Veil/Portal - Swap as necessary for group utility
  • Mass Invisibility - Very useful for resurrecting allies
  • Scepter/Sword - Melee defense (two blocks, torment, confusion)
  • Sword/Focus - Ranged defense (three reflects, invuln, ranged AoE hard CC)
I won't speculate on sigils and runes before the overhaul, but you've got the idea: group heal, stability, and condi cleanse plus multiple sources of projectile reflection plus traditional mesmer veil/portal utility. Feedback?
Since you're support/utility anyway, part of me wants to say you should shove Staff in somehow so that your iWarden can combo with either Veil/Curtain or Chaos Storm given the opportunity, and then try equipping Settler or Apothecary gear. This is probably not good advice, but it's where I would go with the build. I have an odd preference for condition damage builds.

Once it installs. Been sitting on "preparing for installation" for 30 minutes..... - Nvidia. :/

EDIT: There we go, finally.

Double-edit: Well crap. This driver breaks my SLI completely, so a benchmark would be pointless, since I set the baseline using SLI, and now... I have no SLI at all.

Final edit: Looks like I'm going to have to roll back. These drivers are not ready for prime-time at all. I really, *really* hope this isn't what the release candidate is going to be like. If they've broken my SLI permanently moving forward, I'm going to be kind of ticked.

PSA: DO NOT INSTALL THE BETA DRIVERS - I removed them but now every time I try to install a clean install of the previous release version, bluescreen. Can't finish installing drivers at all now. I'm in a bit of a pickle.
I read this and can only think "I'm sorry."
Speculation is absolutely part of an excellent experience, but let's not forget:

http://badassdigest.com/2013/06/12/film-crit-hulk-smash-the-age-of-the-convoluted-blockbuster/

I've read it before but I once again bow down to the wisdom of Film Critic Hulk. Better than Grey Hulk at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom