• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Speculation is absolutely part of an excellent experience, but let's not forget:

http://badassdigest.com/2013/06/12/film-crit-hulk-smash-the-age-of-the-convoluted-blockbuster/

I had to head out right after I finished reading this earlier, which is fine because I wanted to spend some time letting it percolate a bit before responding.

I don't disagree with any of his points (apart from his admittedly hesitant praise for Abrams, whom I intensely dislike), but he's discussing film whereas we want to be discussing games. Anything more than the core principles of storytelling can't be universally applied across all mediums. For example, the "Show, don't tell" rule can't really apply to games, where I would argue it needs to be "Play, don't show." Scarlet's story obviously violates that rule, two-levels deep. Not only do we never see Scarlet's origins, we have to read about them outside the established medium entirely.

So when he discusses viewers being kept in the dark, that rule absolutely works for film. But a game is different; the players are an independent part of the world in which the story occurs, and there's a lot of room for them to dig deeper if they want. You can keep the players in the dark on things and have them discover it on their own if they put in the effort or know where to look (I won't even drag in Dulfy on this one, that's a tangent that benefits no one). The problem with Scarlet's story arc is that the mystery just wasn't there to discover until it was almost the end (in this case, I'm talking about stuff like alternative conversations in the Nightmare Tower, plotting the location of the Thumpers, etc.). The whole storyline is plot in the truest sense of the word; things happened, then other things happened, then other things happened, the end. You have to dig outside of the game to find out anything about Scarlet's past, and even then it's still not entirely clear. Meanwhile, we had some interesting characters show up, but did they do anything that stopped Scarlet? It was mostly just twisting about in her wake or cleaning up her messes.

Since we have a week to wait for the Feature Update and because it's a relevant topic, let me ask a question that anybody can feel free to jump in and answer; How would you have handled the "Scarlet" story arc? Specifically in the context that you have to have the same rough bullet points; ley lines, waking a dragon, Lion's Arch and yes, you have to keep Scarlet as the prime mover.

I'll post my idea after I hammer it out a little more (and because this post is already long), but I thought I'd throw it out there now.

Moondrop

Banned
Since you're support/utility anyway, part of me wants to say you should shove Staff in somehow so that your iWarden can combo with either Veil/Curtain or Chaos Storm given the opportunity, and then try equipping Settler or Apothecary gear. This is probably not good advice, but it's where I would go with the build. I have an odd preference for condition damage builds.

Thanks for weighing in. I don't think you're odd at all for favoring condition builds; conditions counter toughness and DoTs generally synergize with healing/sustain strategies. The problems are (1) I find mesmers to be poor condition fighters (I define PU as hybrid), (2) I don't like mesmer staff, and (3) I believe I have to be at close range, even more than shout warrior, to land heals.

But lets analyze the mesmer's staff weapon skills for a moment because I really don't understand the love:
1) Winds of Chaos - Shoddy at two jobs (stacking conditions and buffing allies), balanced by an atrocious cast time.
2) Phase Retreat - Very nice, but you really have to apply mindgames around people familiar with the skill.
3) Phantasmal Warlock - Meh, not in the top half of phantasms.
4) Chaos Armor - Ugh, as anti-melee skills go this is just sad. At least it looks pretty.
5) Chaos Storm - The repeated AoE dazes are pretty cool. Like a poor man's static field.
What am I missing?

Can't wait til Evon supporters start claiming Kiel is an agent of the dragons.
Where you not playing before Scarlet was revealed? There were quite a lot of people who were suggesting that the person behind everything is Ellen Kiel.

Wait, what's this about airship tickets?
During the Escape from Lion's Arch/Attack on Lion's Arch you had a chance for an unlimited Airship ticket to drop which would allow you to use it from any zone in the game to instantly teleport to the Airship in Gendarran Fields without a fee. The Airship has all the banks, merchants, mystiv forge, crafting station, trading post, armor fixer, guild commendation vendor in close proximity.

During the event if you didn't get a chance for it to drop you could spend some gems to my the ticket on the TP.

They are complaining that this ticket is Pay to Win and that the destruction of LA (which had all these services) was so ANET will make people to buy the ticket and not because of the story.

The only thing the vigil keep is missing I think it is the crafting stations, or did I miss the this whole time because I always use the airship.

Proven

Thanks for weighing in. I don't think you're odd at all for favoring condition builds; conditions counter toughness and DoTs generally synergize with healing/sustain strategies. The problems are (1) I find mesmers to be poor condition fighters (I define PU as hybrid), (2) I don't like mesmer staff, and (3) I believe I have to be at close range, even more than shout warrior, to land heals.

But lets analyze the mesmer's staff weapon skills for a moment because I really don't understand the love:
1) Winds of Chaos - Shoddy at two jobs (stacking conditions and buffing allies), balanced by an atrocious cast time.
2) Phase Retreat - Very nice, but you really have to apply mindgames to around people familiar with the skill.
3) Phantasmal Warlock - Meh, not in the top half of phantasms.
4) Chaos Armor - Ugh, in terms of anti-melee skills go this is just sad. At least it looks pretty.
5) Chaos Storm - The repeated AoE dazes are pretty cool. Like a poor man's static field.
What am I missing?

Staff is just really good at staying alive at the price of killing power, especially because of Phase Retreat. The auto-attack is weak (I thought it gave a longer Fury) but when you do get a burn off it you do a decent amount of burst damage. It's like a built in crit. I also wouldn't discount Chaos Armor as just like the other auras it shines a lot more when you have the Toughness to take more than one hit.

But your build is meant to for front line WvW, so the Staff is likely to not be a great choice. And you're right, pound for pound it isn't that great. The impact it offers is primarily in Chaos Storm. Chaos Storm is just so good that it overshadows everything else about the weapon. The suggestion came in because I really don't like off-hand Sword outside of small group fights and lower. But other than taking out the other Sword and adding Staff, your only other option would be to swap the Sword for Pistol, which has the same general problem.

So stick with off-hand Sword, and I'd now suggest Debilitating Dissipation. Not for the bleed, but because of the Weakness or Vulnerability you could inflict immediately after a successful block. It won't help the first run through a melee train with enough Guardians but will help more the longer the battle goes. The adept trait in Chaos is also slightly more useful to you than the other two. All together, it helps with the theme of you being harder to kill the longer the battle goes on, until you come out triumphant.

I don't really do crits on non-multi hit skills

Wells are multi hit.

Moondrop

Banned
Rather large oversight in my theory crafting: mantra healing occurs when mantras are prepared, not on active cast. This considerably dampens my enthusiasm, but I suppose I should still try it out.

Mxrz

I've been trying to do sPvP more lately. It was fun for a while, but this last week hotjoin has been nothing but people farming. Almost every single match is an outnumbered blow-out with a line of spectators just waiting to get in on the winning side. Feh.

I have stayed out of SoloQ because I don't want to be a detriment to the guys who take it seriously. But this has been awful enough to where I'm ready to forget the mode exists entirely, and just go back to GW1 when I get the pvp-itch.

Moondrop

Banned
I have stayed out of SoloQ because I don't want to be a detriment to the guys who take it seriously. But this has been awful enough to where I'm ready to forget the mode exists entirely, and just go back to GW1 when I get the pvp-itch.

If you take it a bit seriously- know your class inside and out and use a solid build- don't hold yourself back from YoloQ. It's a better level of competition than hotjoin these days.

And you certainly shouldn't give up on sPvP long term given the coming revamped rewards. There's nowhere to go but up.

Hit level 32 tonight, making it the furthest I've ever gotten in an MMO. I got up to around 20 in FFXI (even after going through the tedious subjob quest on the dunes) and got up to around lvl 30 in WoW before losing interest.

My current main character is named Dawn Kirens and I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who helped walk us new/returning players through some of the guild missions yesterday. Pretty fun, and I hope I can find the time to keep participating in these on the weekends.

Tomorrow, I'm probably going to try and tackle my first dungeon. Any tips for someone new to dungeons? Rolling as a dual-wielding warrior right now.

Retro

My current main character is named Dawn Kirens and I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who helped walk us new/returning players through some of the guild missions yesterday. Pretty fun, and I hope I can find the time to keep participating in these on the weekends.

We got the absolute best possible missions we could for new players; if not for their relative low difficulty then for their accessibility to new players. They were still rough to do, but Sunday Makeups usually live and die by volunteers and while we had plenty, it's always [/I kinda ]close. For example, a few weeks ago we had a bounty (Brekkabek)
we almost completely wiped on that's usually considered fairly easy to do on Saturday Nights. It also didn't help that I had to leave earlier for a prior engagement.

I promise they won't be quite so frantic and discouraging when you hit them this next week with a few more levels under your belt. Saturday night is optimal, but Sundays usually go well too. I hope you can find the time too, as there's some really fun ones (and a few real stinkers we won't mention).

Tomorrow, I'm probably going to try and tackle my first dungeon. Any tips for someone new to dungeons? Rolling as a dual-wielding warrior right now.

1. Bring Condition Removal (even as simple as bringing "For Great Justice!"), mobs in dungeons tend to throw a lot more of them around then your usual PVE enemy.

2. Learn when to revive and when to survive. If somebody goes down, sometimes it's advantageous to pick off a weaker target to get the rally rather than try to revive them directly. Two people stacked up means the chances of an enemy dropping an AOE on your head jumps, and some enemies specifically go after people who are reviving. Sometimes it's better to lead the enemies away and let the person get back up on their own, or someone who isn't being targeted to slink in.

3. You probably won't need it if your group is comprised of 80s, but you'll want to focus on abilities that give you combo fields and finishers. Swap out your Rifle for the Longbow since it has both a fire field generator (Burst skill) and a blast finisher (Arcing Arrow #3). Blasting your own fire field can give everyone area might, while blasting a water field from an ele or engineer can give AOE heals.

Longbow isn't a bad idea in general since you'll face large bunches of enemies at a time and lots of bosses will resist the rifle's knockback, but the immobilize from Pin Down still works wonderfully.

4. Have fun. Go with a GAF group that won't make you skip the cutscenes, take time to explain fights and not try to kick you if you go AFK for 5 seconds or you're not using the build / skills / utilities they demand. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

friday

Ceres already mentioned that server doesn't matter if you're in the NA zone. Just post your username.number here or whisper an officer in guild and we can get you in ASAP.

Also, you don't need to be 80 to do the Living Story. Just about everything so far has up-leveled everyone to 80 when necessary. At 56 you should have no trouble. I've leveled up alts that were in there teens in some of the episodes.

Good to know, my user name is friday.7602.

What are the lower level dungeons? I'm level 19 and I'm curious as to what these compose of.

The lowest level dungeon is the Ascalonian Catacombs, whose Story Mode is level 30. When you hit level 30, you'll actually receive an in-game mail about it, which ties into the story that plays out across the seven dungeons before the final, Arah. Each time you hit the recommended level for a dungeon, you'll get a mail about it.

All the dungeons have a Story mode, and then an Explorable mode which unlocks once you've finished the Story for that dungeon (you can join another party and do Explorable even if you haven't unlocked it yet). Explorable mode is usually more difficulty than Story, and has multiple "paths". The Explore mode for Ascalonian Catacombs, for example, recommends level 35.

The official level requirements (suggested, anyway) are:

Ascalonian Catacombs: 30
Caudecus's Manor: 40
Twilight Arbor: 50
Sorrow's Embrace: 60
Citadel of Flame: 70
Honor of the Waves: 76
Crucible of Eternity: 78
The Ruined City of Arah: 80.

Meanwhile, in the Keep in Eternal Battlegrounds:

fSOSyJ8.jpg

Earlier, I was in a scrum for that damn room that lasted - I kid you not - at least half an hour. We'd kill the Lord and then Henge would run in and Banner him, the fight would continue, we'd kill Henge then the Lord, then Yak would run in and Banner him, repeat... It was insane. My 160 inventory slots were *full* of bags/items after.

And of course, not WvW is complete without PvDoor.

Ndhryvo.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The megaserver video made me wonder how we'll track events.

Rabid, and use a sigil of earth I think it is. Whatever grants extra bleed every single time you crit. (which with rabid gear will be a bit over 50% of the time.)

All right then. I'm not a minion necro and prefer welling and marking.

swnny

Once it installs. Been sitting on "preparing for installation" for 30 minutes..... - Nvidia. :/

EDIT: There we go, finally.

Double-edit: Well crap. This driver breaks my SLI completely, so a benchmark would be pointless, since I set the baseline using SLI, and now... I have no SLI at all.

Final edit: Looks like I'm going to have to roll back. These drivers are not ready for prime-time at all. I really, *really* hope this isn't what the release candidate is going to be like. If they've broken my SLI permanently moving forward, I'm going to be kind of ticked.

PSA: DO NOT INSTALL THE BETA DRIVERS - I removed them but now every time I try to install a clean install of the previous release version, bluescreen. Can't finish installing drivers at all now. I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Ahh, damn. This only confirms that nVidia's (beta) drivers are getting worse in terms of installation and stability... I'm sorry for putting you through this... :(

In addition to Miktar's experience, I really don't see much positive feedback in either the reddit or official forum threads about the driver. Someone put up a Youtube video with the driver, but didn't include information prior to update for comparison:

That's with an i7 920 @ 3.5 and 780Ti.

I went to the same area and maintained a rock solid, vsynced, 60 fps with an i5 3570K @ 4.6 and 780Ti.

Just more emphasis on how important IPC per core is in MMOs. The regulars at the Build a PC thread contend that an i7 920 remains good enough for modern games as long as the OC is high enough.

The Youtube video was captured with Shadowplay, which could also contribute to framerate loss but during Durante's own experience with it he didn't notice any framerate loss in GW2. For this game I'll wait until Nvidia releases a driver specifically addressing GW2 or DX9. Which is probably never.

So, the overall experience with this driver s bad. Well, at least they are trying and I hope we will see something positive in the next few releases.
I'm also hoping Anet will throw some optimizations in the feature pack as well. :)

Proven

We tracked the small ones? Oh.
The Event API was really good. It's just that it was primarily used for just the world bosses.

I've been trying to do sPvP more lately. It was fun for a while, but this last week hotjoin has been nothing but people farming. Almost every single match is an outnumbered blow-out with a line of spectators just waiting to get in on the winning side. Feh.

As Moondrop said, I'd only play solo queue. Hotjoin is a mess and has been a mess for months. Even though you don't get much more for winning than losing, people would prefer to win and be on the dog pile team. If you want a match where people don't hold back and stick to their team, solo queue is your answer. If you understand even the first layer of strategy to conquest and know how to fight the meta builds you'll be a boon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I dunno, I wouldn't consider some of those small when the map notifies you on them as "current events" that persist.

So guys, I am playing from India on NA servers for this past week. It's a lot of fun, but SBI is active when it's like 5am here :p

Are there servers I can guest on which are more active earlier in the day or late night? Looking to do the world event bosses (which was a lot of fun yesterday with Vyarne (I think is his name) guiding things.

Eventually the mega server should solve this, but it will be end of year before all the areas get that.

Lunar15

I had to head out right after I finished reading this earlier, which is fine because I wanted to spend some time letting it percolate a bit before responding.

I don't disagree with any of his points (apart from his admittedly hesitant praise for Abrams, whom I intensely dislike), but he's discussing film whereas we want to be discussing games. Anything more than the core principles of storytelling can't be universally applied across all mediums. For example, the "Show, don't tell" rule can't really apply to games, where I would argue it needs to be "Play, don't show." Scarlet's story obviously violates that rule, two-levels deep. Not only do we never see Scarlet's origins, we have to read about them outside the established medium entirely.

So when he discusses viewers being kept in the dark, that rule absolutely works for film. But a game is different; the players are an independent part of the world in which the story occurs, and there's a lot of room for them to dig deeper if they want. You can keep the players in the dark on things and have them discover it on their own if they put in the effort or know where to look (I won't even drag in Dulfy on this one, that's a tangent that benefits no one). The problem with Scarlet's story arc is that the mystery just wasn't there to discover until it was almost the end (in this case, I'm talking about stuff like alternative conversations in the Nightmare Tower, plotting the location of the Thumpers, etc.). The whole storyline is plot in the truest sense of the word; things happened, then other things happened, then other things happened, the end. You have to dig outside of the game to find out anything about Scarlet's past, and even then it's still not entirely clear. Meanwhile, we had some interesting characters show up, but did they do anything that stopped Scarlet? It was mostly just twisting about in her wake or cleaning up her messes.

Since we have a week to wait for the Feature Update and because it's a relevant topic, let me ask a question that anybody can feel free to jump in and answer; How would you have handled the "Scarlet" story arc? Specifically in the context that you have to have the same rough bullet points; ley lines, waking a dragon, Lion's Arch and yes, you have to keep Scarlet as the prime mover.

I'll post my idea after I hammer it out a little more (and because this post is already long), but I thought I'd throw it out there now.

Well, I don't always agree with Film Crit Hulk (we have some differing opinions on structure) but I've always liked his basic point that moving character motivations up front is far more engaging than leaving them shrouded in mystery until a later act. Now, that's not to say that you have to go and reveal everything; It'd be silly if they came out and said that Scarlet was working for Mordremoth right from the start. It would have been a little more engaging, however, if they gave us a strong enough reason to want to fight her right away.

You're right in that games =/= movies, but I think some elements of storytelling are constant. I agree that you have to have plenty of mysteries scattered about to get your fans on message boards and speculating, but I think you can still do that while still front-loading your engaging motivations. My problem with Scarlet's arc is actually that there just wasn't enough to speculate about, her existence was one big question mark until the end. She came out of nowhere and announced nothing. There just wasn't enough fuel there to get players interested in guessing what she wanted to do.

Truth be told, Anet's *already* doing a much better job in their second season, before it's even started. We already know the stakes: There's a dragon, and he wants to fuck things up. Is it simple? Sure, maybe even a little generic. But that's not the point. It's engaging. In fact, it fosters even more speculation. What's he gonna do? How's he gonna do it? What are we going to do to stop it? We've seen what Dragons can do, so we have way more ideas about the new one can do too. Also, at this point, a lot of our "main characters" have been established, and we know what motivates them.

I guess my overall point is, yes, speculation is key, especially in a game that's about exploring in your own leisurely pace, but I just think that having that having a strong, initial driving motivation gets people even more interested in the mysteries you want to build up. Just relying on mystery isn't satisfying and it can actually be detrimental. But don't take it as me being really hard on Anet, I'm still shocked that they actually pulled off a full story arc in an MMO. They're definitely pioneering new territory here, and it's not surprising that the first run would be a little rough. You could tell they figured stuff out as they went along and the quality definitely increased over time. It's just that when I hear someone talking about speculation fueling some of their story design, I get weird ptsd flashbacks of JJ Abrams stories.

As for how I'd handle the Scarlet Arc given those factors is a little tough, her character is pretty flawed to begin with. I'll have to think about it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Haven't had too much time to play but I am lvl 22 now. The 15-25 area is WAY harder than the 1-15 area. At this point do I just need to L2P so that I don't get downed so much? I am a Guardian using Greatsword/Hammer.

1. Bring Condition Removal (even as simple as bringing "For Great Justice!"), mobs in dungeons tend to throw a lot more of them around then your usual PVE enemy.

2. Learn when to revive and when to survive. If somebody goes down, sometimes it's advantageous to pick off a weaker target to get the rally rather than try to revive them directly. Two people stacked up means the chances of an enemy dropping an AOE on your head jumps, and some enemies specifically go after people who are reviving. Sometimes it's better to lead the enemies away and let the person get back up on their own, or someone who isn't being targeted to slink in.

3. You probably won't need it if your group is comprised of 80s, but you'll want to focus on abilities that give you combo fields and finishers. Swap out your Rifle for the Longbow since it has both a fire field generator (Burst skill) and a blast finisher (Arcing Arrow #3). Blasting your own fire field can give everyone area might, while blasting a water field from an ele or engineer can give AOE heals.

Longbow isn't a bad idea in general since you'll face large bunches of enemies at a time and lots of bosses will resist the rifle's knockback, but the immobilize from Pin Down still works wonderfully.

4. Have fun. Go with a GAF group that won't make you skip the cutscenes, take time to explain fights and not try to kick you if you go AFK for 5 seconds or you're not using the build / skills / utilities they demand. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! Definitely will need to tweak my skill arrangement for condition removals, and I've already equipped the longbow vs. rifle. When to revive or keep fighting is probably something that will need to come with experience, but I'll at least be more mindful of it when playing. It's not so bad against small groups, but when things are so chaotic, it's tough to look for the tells that a big attack is coming (at least from what I've played so far).

Finally papered red keep.

Nice! My OCD side is envious of your world completion :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haven't had too much time to play but I am lvl 22 now. The 15-25 area is WAY harder than the 1-15 area. At this point do I just need to L2P so that I don't get downed so much? I am a Guardian using Greatsword/Hammer.
pretty much! eventually, you could even do stuff up to 5 or even 10 levels above your own with skill.

That said, if it's too tough or you're not enjoying that zone, you can very easily go to one of the other 1-15 zones and continue leveling there.

jtkauff

Finally picked this up yesterday thanks to the sale. I had originally pre-ordered it and played a bit of the head start but had to cancel and hadn't gotten back to buying it until now. I'm not sure how I missed the fact that there was an ongoing storyline via the every-2-week patches, but given the current break between seasons at least now will be a good time to get in on it.

So I understand that I'd be able to play with the GAF Guild even though I originally rolled on Tarnished Coast through guesting and eventually the megaserver. Is there anything that I'd be missing out on with being on a different server, at least in the short term while I'm still leveling?

Ahh, damn. This only confirms that nVidia's (beta) drivers are getting worse in terms of installation and stability... I'm sorry for putting you through this... :(

No worries - I'm always installing the beta drivers anyway, because I'm curious.

What Hawk said: if you're finding the area you're in too difficulty, go try some of the other 1-15 areas until you're feeling more confident, or until you have gear that's much closer to your level. Be sure to go talk to every Heart vendor when you finish the heart, since they sell you gear for karma.

So I understand that I'd be able to play with the GAF Guild even though I originally rolled on Tarnished Coast through guesting and eventually the megaserver. Is there anything that I'd be missing out on with being on a different server, at least in the short term while I'm still leveling?

The only thing you can't do while guesting is WvW, but that's it. So it only matters if you wanted to run in WvW with GAF, but levelling and everything else, you can do wherever, and run with GAF for guild missions easily thanks to guesting.

Complistic

If you don't care about that character you made more than a year ago. (do you even have a character if all you cancelled before the game came out?) then you can delete that character and simply restart on stormbluff isle. If you have no characters on your character screen, then the first time you make a character you get to rechoose your server for all characters.

Put anything you want to save in the bank, as that will still be there.

Ceres

Banned

What Miktar said.
Plus, if the character from the head start is still a low level, you can always delete and transfer to SBI for free. You'll retain gold and stuff that isn't soulbound you can move to your personal bank.

Thinking still about that site where you could enter your crafting mats and professions and it'd list what you could make, which'd help with gearing alts - in addition it'd be awesome if you could enter in your karma and dungeon token totals, heck, all the currencies that can result in weapons/armour, and then see what gear sets are buyable.

I realized today I have like 2k AC tokens, which can get decent Soldier stat set armours (not that I need it). But it made me realize, I wonder how many people have alts but don't realize just how many assets they actually have for gearing them. I sometimes thing having a kind of in-game "wizard" that you could ask for suggestions on how to get gear, would be really useful for players who don't mentally keep track of all the curriences, where you can get what, etc.

I only recently discovered that there's a great exotic Dire backpiece you can get from AC Path 2, which is account bound. There are a lot of account bound items you can collect from dungeons, to build up a 'bank set' of gear types. Though with the Wardrobe coming, I'm not sure how pertinent it remains.

Retro

It'd be silly if they came out and said that Scarlet was working for Mordremoth right from the start. It would have been a little more engaging, however, if they gave us a strong enough reason to want to fight her right away.

See, I would have established the dragon plot early, though the "how will she do it" and "why" could have remained a mystery for players to find. Have the players meet Scarlet early on (possibly in place of Mai Trin at Dragon Bash) and then reveal the "I'm planning to wake up a dragon!" twist early on, so the stakes are immediately clear.

My problem with Scarlet's arc is actually that there just wasn't enough to speculate about, her existence was one big question mark until the end. She came out of nowhere and announced nothing. There just wasn't enough fuel there to get players interested in guessing what she wanted to do.

Yep. And her backstory was only revealed outside the game, which is a big no-no (Halo 4 did the same thing). It would have made more sense to reveal it in-game, during one of the low key updates, where players track her back to her days as Ceara.

Also, at this point, a lot of our "main characters" have been established, and we know what motivates them.

I feel like if there's one really solid benefit to the first season, it's that at least they established some characters that we know have some emotional weight to them.

It's just that when I hear someone talking about speculation fueling some of their story design, I get weird ptsd flashbacks of JJ Abrams stories.

You mean ArenaNet changing the story to meet speculation? I'm not sure that's what was meant by that interview; I took away that they added more things to speculate about because they thought it was cool players were doing that. We've known for a while that they had the storyline plotted to the end of 2013, and I don't think they just left the story hanging until then either. I think maybe they changed the way they told the story rather than the story itself, which is exactly what we're getting at with these posts.

As for how I'd handle the Scarlet Arc given those factors is a little tough, her character is pretty flawed to begin with. I'll have to think about it.

Well, you can change some of those character flaws. I mean, we're just tossing ideas around for the same of killing time and having fun, so do what you want. Keeping Scarlet seems like a requirement though as you need an agent to move the story along and a dragon lacks nuance.

I still think they need to explain this part from the "What Scarlet Saw" blog post.

“But I reject that call. I reject the notion that that I must choose the Dream or be lost to Nightmare. The forces that push us this way or that can be redirected. They can be set against one another to the detriment of both, and now I know how.”

I don't know who she is talking about and up to now even after she is dead it is still just speculation.
The speculation so far is that Sylvari are "minions" of Mordremoth but somehow broke-off from his influence because of the Pale Tree. This leads to the "forces that push this way" possibly being,
- Mordremoth (pulling Pale Tree Sylvari towards him via the Nightmare)
- Pale Tree (pulling Sylvari towards the dream)

Hope they clearly spell out if this is true or not when Season 2 starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom