• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

You mean ArenaNet changing the story to meet speculation? I'm not sure that's what was meant by that interview; I took away that they added more things to speculate about because they thought it was cool players were doing that. We've known for a while that they had the storyline plotted to the end of 2013, and I don't think they just left the story hanging until then either. I think maybe they changed the way they told the story rather than the story itself, which is exactly what we're getting at with these posts.

No, that's not quite what I meant. I just meant that JJ has a tendency to write all of his stories around mystery, and as a result they're usually never satisfying. I think they had a plan going into this, and the speculation just changed the rate at which they revealed things, or how they revealed things. Honestly, it was a good change. My only slight fear is that I just don't want them to build everything around speculation just because players did a lot of it.

Anywho, as for revealing Mordy from the start, it's not necessary. I don't need to know her grand scheme, just her immediate scheme. I think you could reveal that she wanted to build a drill or create a weapon early on, and set the stakes by killing a character, destroying a town, or some other kind of early impact. They had a good chance to do this during the Jubilee, but their greatest failure was not explaining why she showed up at the jubilee in the first place. She showed up, she created some chaos, but we thwarted her and nothing really happened. There was no fallout from her first attack, and that left no impact. She didn't steal anything, kill anyone, or announce any plans. Worse, we never even found out later why she attacked. It's the story equivalent of someone just running up to you one day, saying hello, and then running away. That's not really dramatic, it's just kind of annoying. Sure, there's a mystery there, "why did that dude just say hello?", but it's not super interesting. Now imagine if that dude had said hello, slapped you, and took your wallet. All of a sudden you've got a reason to track him down. All it would have taken would be for scarlet to escape with some kind of relic or something, and then for the post-investigation to reveal that she's hunting artifacts of huge power. Yes, this is the most basic example and it's certainly not the best example. But it lays out an outline. Plus, you could reveal her back story through extra-exploratory stuff. For those that care. This is actually the direction they started to go in near the end, so that's fine.

To their defense, Anet's already admitted their largest problem, and that's that none of the arcs felt connected. They'd build up a mystery in one arc only for it to be immediately ignored for another mystery. It really frustrated a lot of people, myself included. There was little incentive to pay attention to what was going on in an arc because there was an overall feeling that the next arc wouldn't answer much either. The one thing they haven't overtly mentioned is that foiling scarlet was always meaningless. We'd foil one plan just for her to pop up elsewhere. It felt like we were getting nowhere, and it was clear she was going to gain power anyway. But it wasn't like he plans were all that nefarious, there were no stakes. This is all she did:

• Terrorized the Jubilee for no reason then ran away
  • Terrorized various zones in Tyria for no reason then ran away
  • Built the Clockheart for no discernible reason, then ran away
  • Built the Tower of Nightmares in order to spread spores (yay a reason!) then ran away (technically she didn't even show up to the last two)
  • Built the Twisted Marionette to... test something? The drill?
  • Invaded Lion's Arch in order to tap into the lay-line that would wake Mordremoth. (Objectively the most compelling chapter, we had stakes, answers, and finality)
And this is ignoring the fact that stuff like Tequatl and SAB2 were actually in between two halves of this arc. It was a confusing ride, to be sure, and we never had a handle on where it was going.

This is all she did:

• Terrorized the Jubilee for no reason then ran away
  • Terrorized various zones in Tyria for no reason then ran away
  • Built the Clockheart for no discernible reason, then ran away
  • Built the Tower of Nightmares in order to spread spores (yay a reason!) then ran away (technically she didn't even show up to the last two)
  • Built the Twisted Marionette to... test something? The drill?
  • Invaded Lion's Arch in order to tap into the lay-line that would wake Mordremoth. (Objectively the most compelling chapter, we had stakes, answers, and finality)
And this is ignoring the fact that stuff like Tequatl and SAB2 were actually in between two halves of this arc. It was a confusing ride, to be sure, and we never had a handle on where it was going.

1. Jubelee was to seize control fo the clockworks for her future army. And to cull of potential heroes.

2. Testing her clockwork army, and again, culling heroes.

3. That was the airship thing, right? probably investigating weapons potential.

4. She needed the toxin to pacify Lion's arch's defenders, or whatever other city she may have needed to attack.

5. Testing weapons, killing heroes. Potential anti-dragon weapons test.

6. Disrupt the layline, cutting off the dragons energy feed. My guess is she had a plan beyond this, but died before it could be enacted.

Honestly, I thought it worked together pretty well, and they tied most of it together well by the end.

Moondrop

Banned
Any recap of the stream? I missed more then half of it, the other half was already questions that were answered already...

Nothing interesting to recap.

Here's two small notes: you will still get a transmutation charge from exploring cities, and transmutation splitters may be redeemed for charges.

Korten

Banned
What do you guys think of this suggestion someone posted about GW2 Endgame on Reddit:

"Elite areas like GW1 had. The Underworld, Fissure of Woe, Domain of Anguish etc. Difficult content, with no respawns(!) All these areas had a wipe=kick mechanic and to make the content harder I think this should be implemented in these elite areas in their GW2 versions."

And then another mentioned that there should be unique skins that are non-tradable (which imo I think is the right way to go with it), that drop from enemies or maybe there is also chests.

I think this would be a lot of fun. More so with friends, getting friends together to explore a large zone with tough monsters where dying would mean being kicked out.

Sure it wouldn't be casual friendly but I think they wouldn't mind having just one piece of content being for more hard core players.

Any recap of the stream? I missed more then half of it, the other half was already questions that were answered already...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/22jiiu/feature_pack_qa_livestream_notes/

Traits
  • What will happen to instant retrait items
  • You can request refunds after April 15 for any you brought. You cannot request refunds for those coming from Black Lion Chests
  • Low level characters for PvP – concerned about the new trait system and not having as many traits
  • You have access to the core traits, only ones you don’t have access to are the new traits.
  • Trait points are condensed from 70 points to 14 points so everytime you spend traits points, you will get a minor or major trait. From level 66 you will get 2 points every 6 levels
Wardrobe
  • Will any of the gemstore armor we brought unlock even if we have salvaged some of it.
  • If you have any piece of the set remaining, it will unlock the whole set
  • HoM/Achievmeent skins – unlockable in the wardrobe?
  • Yes they are unlockable for free (does not require transmutation charges)
  • Racial and weight restrictions still apply to the Wardrobe?
  • Yes, can’t wear other race’s cultural armor or other armor weights.
  • One transmutation charge per skin application with exception of those free skins mentioned earlier. Once a skin is unlocked, it is unlocked forever on your account.
  • Town clothing – Cook outfits, Mad King’s are useable in combat as a full set. Helmets are useable on all armor weights. Some of the Town clothing (i.e. chestpieces, leggings) are now tonics.
  • Town Clothing that can no longer be mixed/match can be requested for refund on a case by case basis.
  • Town Clothing Toys are still banned in WvW on a case by case basis.
  • You get transmutation charges for Map completion after April 15.
  • In PvP, it still costs transmutation charges to swap skins since it uses the same system as PvE. PvP players are getting a one time allotment of transmutation charges based on their PvP rank (i.e. rank 40 get 40 transmutation charges)
  • For players with duplicate skins from the gemstore, you can request for refund after April 15.
  • Duplicate BLC weapon skins won’t be eligible for refund.
  • Transmutation splitters can be traded in for Transmutation charges.
  • Skins that can be applied to any armor weight class (i.e. gas masks) will unlock for all 3 armor weight class.
Social play changes
  • Last login for guilds – Last online login, not last represented login. The entire guild roster will be able to see the last login time of someone
Account Bound Gear
  • Cultural skinned Ascended armor – these skins can be only used on that race. If you want to use it on another race, you will need to reskin it.
Megaserver
  • Gatherable node locations are still randomized in every map instance.
  • World Boss schedule will affect all world bosses at once.

Retro

5. Testing weapons, killing heroes. Potential anti-dragon weapons test.

I thought the Marionette was a way to draw energy from all the Watchwork enemies that had been out in the world, to power the drill up.

• Skins that can be applied to any armor weight class (i.e. gas masks) will unlock for all 3 armor weight class.

Hmm, what about skins that had three weight-based variations but identical skins?

Retro

I suspect they will still be three separate skin icons on the UI, and if you had one, it would unlock all three. Not sure.

Well, I'm thinking stuff like the Deathly shoulder skins; there was one for each weight class, but they were all identical skins. I have a couple but if they're still tied to specific weights that seems incredibly silly.

SirKhalid

You get transmutation charges for Map completion after April 15.
Hmm, does that means that there won't be any Black Lion Chest key for map completion or does that means that transmutation stone and crystal will be replace by transmutation charges.

Well, I'm thinking stuff like the Deathly shoulder skins; there was one for each weight class, but they were all identical skins. I have a couple but if they're still tied to specific weights that seems incredibly silly.

Same with the Dragon helm from Dragon Bash. I suspect they may keep them three different icons and items, if only for tracking purposes. Unique item IDs and all that.

Hmm, does that means that there won't be any Black Lion Chest key for map completion or does that means that transmutation stone and crystal will be replace by transmutation charges.

BLC keys were random items you'd get on completion. I suspect they'll still be gotten, randomly, if you're lucky, from map completion. (I only ever got one). It just means that Transmute Stones and Crystals are replaced with Transmutation Charges.

Goldrush

I was waiting to finish all the campaigns in Guild Wars before moving on, but the sale was too good to pass up.

Since the original was more a skill collection rather a loot game, never really learn the crafting system. I just salvage everything and stuff all the enemy trophies into multiple mule characters. Probably didn't do that correctly too since I seem to be missing a lot of materials and perpetually poor. Just played a few hours so far and it doesn't seem to have the same emphasis on skills. Before I get too far, any advice on what I should be doing with armors, weapons, trophies, salvage, etc?

Before I get too far, any advice on what I should be doing with armors, weapons, trophies, salvage, etc?

In Guild Wars 2, items marked trophies are junk, and will sell automatically if you click the 'sell junk' button at a vendor. If they don't sell, they were probably an item used at a Heart, something you had to hand in - you can trash them if you don't plan on going back to the NPC.

As for the rest, my own rule of thumb is: salvage everything, except Exotics. Sell Exotics on the AH or keep them for alts. If you salvage Rares, use the highest-tier salvage kit to increase your chance at getting Ectoplasm from them. If you're strapped for cash, selling Rares works too. But whites, blues and greens? Equip them if you need them, salvage if you don't.

Zeroth

In Guild Wars 2, items marked trophies are junk, and will sell automatically if you click the 'sell junk' button at a vendor. If they don't sell, they were probably an item used at a Heart, something you had to hand in - you can trash them if you don't plan on going back to the NPC.

As for the rest, my own rule of thumb is: salvage everything, except Exotics. Sell Exotics on the AH or keep them for alts. If you salvage Rares, use the highest-tier salvage kit to increase your chance at getting Ectoplasm from them. If you're strapped for cash, selling Rares works too. But whites, blues and greens? Equip them if you need them, salvage if you don't.

Hmm, not sure if I agree with selling exotics. In some cases you will find exotics with superior runes that are extremely useful, and if you use black lion salvage kits on them, you get the runes, some exos and even a chance for that ascended legendary material which is needed for ascended recipes. I would say for newer players, maybe selling is the best, but eventually you'll want to salvage them too.

Ceres

Banned
My rule of thumb for exotics is to always check the cost of the rune/sigil. If I can sell it alone for as much as the item itself costs, I'll usually salvage with a black lion salvage kit If the sigil/rune is worthless, I just sell it outright on the TP.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Holy shit this jumping puzzle with Goemm the Mad at the end. Do they get longer/more involved than this? lol

Jira

Holy shit this jumping puzzle with Goemm the Mad at the end. Do they get longer/more involved than this? lol

Fun fact: Jumping Puzzles weren't even planned and kind of happened by accident. One day a map maker just started fooling around and placing some blocks to jump from one another and realized hey this works well. So this turned into the first JP and then after that all the map designers started trying to outdo each other by putting one in the map they were working on and that spawned the shit ton of JPs we have in the game today.

Trey

Fun fact: Jumping Puzzles weren't even planned and kind of happened by accident. One day a map maker just started fooling around and placing some blocks to jump from one another and realized hey this works well. So this turned into the first JP and then after that all the map designers started trying to outdo each other by putting one in the map they were working on and that spawned the shit ton of JPs we have in the game today.

Anet <3

Sajjaja

How many jump puzzles are there? I did one in Kessex Hills I believe with another Gaffer yesterday and it was a really cool experience for the first time.

Zeroth

Had a really nice run AC Story with Roxie, Ceres, Dawn Kittens and Charred Femur. Shout out for the last two for doing an awesome job in their very first dungeon run!

Had a really nice run AC Story with Roxie, Ceres, Dawn Kittens and Charred Femur. Shout out for the last two for doing an awesome job in their very first dungeon run!

Dawn here. Thanks for the help; it was really fun! Very cool of everyone to be patient as we first timers watched the cut scenes and got a grasp of the dungeon's peculiarities.

Ludovico

How many jump puzzles are there? I did one in Kessex Hills I believe with another Gaffer yesterday and it was a really cool experience for the first time.

Jibbi!?!

I love the jumping puzzles, especially the event ones like the clock tower and christmas one.
Screw that mad asura scientist one though, spent way too long working on that one...

Goldrush

Didn't get a portal stone to hall of monument despite linking the games prior to starting. I really want that tabby. Is there a shortcut to Lions arch?

Sajjaja

Jibbi!?!

I love the jumping puzzles, especially the event ones like the clock tower and christmas one.
Screw that mad asura scientist one though, spent way too long working on that one...

lol yup that's me :p I wonder how people find these without looking them up.

Ludovico

lol yup that's me :p I wonder how people find these without looking them up.

I hate looking them up, rather just stumble across them in the wild, so I have tons left.

Also, as a norn ranger, the difficulty of most jumping puzzles is directly proportional to how enclosed the space is.

Char might also understand my struggle, especially when we get yelled at in grouped puzzles ;_;

Aquila

I hate looking them up, rather just stumble across them in the wild, so I have tons left.

Also, as a norn ranger, the difficulty of most jumping puzzles is directly proportional to how enclosed the space is.

Char might also understand my struggle, especially when we get yelled at in grouped puzzles ;_;

You were part of the problem back during the clocktower of 'smashing baby quaggan through monitor.' Especially if your armor was dyed bright neon pink, green, and all the colors of the rainbow. ; P

Ludovico

You were part of the problem back during the clocktower of 'smashing baby quaggan through monitor.' Especially if your armor was dyed bright neon pink, green, and all the colors of the rainbow. ; P

No no no no no no.
Just ask Sajjaja, I'm not afraid to strip down when it becomes necessary. My norn is just freakishly tall!

Lol, timed clocktower runs were hilarious though, good times.

Sajjaja

No no no no no no.
Just ask Sajjaja, I'm not afraid to strip down when it becomes necessary. My norn is just freakishly tall!

Lol, timed clocktower runs were hilarious though, good times.

It was crazy man. We couldn't make this jump for a bit, so he just stripped down and made the jump. Matrix level stuff I tell ya hwat.

Also, PROOF OF ARKEN'S MISCHIEF!
qgHQmqF.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dang, I so wanted to run AC Story when the guildlets hit 30 :D Glad it was a nice run.

There are in fact a handful of jumping puzzles that are more involved than Goemm's Lab. All the abandoned Asura lab ones are fantastic though.

We'll have to get Tetsuo through the Obsidian Sanctum before too long :>

Zeroth

Dang, I so wanted to run AC Story when the guildlets hit 30 :D Glad it was a nice run.

There are in fact a handful of jumping puzzles that are more involved than Goemm's Lab. All the abandoned Asura lab ones are fantastic though.

We'll have to get Tetsuo through the Obsidian Sanctum before too long :>

Hopefully we'll do it before FA gets back into our rotation. I don't want to experience that dungeon trap thing ever again.

Ceres

Banned
Obsidian Sanctum 9pm EST tonight. I'll have my mesmer to help and then we can jump over to SBI for the BL jp if its not queued (I doubt it).

Honestly next week FA probably won't even be the ones trolling in OS. HoD has plenty of people spending their time in there

Zeroth

Unrelated note, but seems like the server capacities have been increased, at least for NA. Now we have servers with "High" population, many with "Very High", but none "Full" like BG was.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
When do you unlock elite skills?

2 of the guys that got it with me were kinda ehh on the game until last night. They found some weapons they liked, we are getting long combo strings going, we spent 2 hours on a jumping puzzle. It was great. They are also finally stepping into crafting. Good fun. Good game. Good job Anet.

Trey

2 of the guys that got it with me were kinda ehh on the game until last night. They found some weapons they liked, we are getting long combo strings going, we spent 2 hours on a jumping puzzle. It was great. They are also finally stepping into crafting. Good fun. Good game. Good job Anet.

Level 30.

Ceres

Banned

Elite skill slot gets unlocked at level 30. But you need to buy the first group of elites themselves for 10 skill points each. So good to get some skills you like for 6-9 unlocked and save enough for 10 skill pts to buy an elite when you hit level 30.

SirKhalid

Character slots just went on sale. 20% off!
Yay, I was waiting for this.

I bought so much stuff in this sale. Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic, now I won't need bag slot or bank slot anymore. I bought the digital deluxe because it gave an armor and I don't like having a skill locked. And a character slot because I am on my way with my 4th level 80.

By the way, for the golem banker from the digital deluxe, it's a 2 weeks per character, right? If it's over on one character and I didn't get it from the mail for my other characters. They will be able to use a 2 weeks when I get it, right?

Zeroth

Although the character slot is tempting, I'm nowhere close to need it right now, and I have bigger money sinks for now :p

Yay, I was waiting for this.

I bought so much stuff in this sale. Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic, now I won't need bag slot or bank slot anymore. I bought the digital deluxe because it gave an armor and I don't like having a skill locked. And a character slot because I am on my way with my 4th level 80.

By the way, for the golem banker from the digital deluxe, it's a 2 weeks per character, right? If it's over on one character and I didn't get it from the mail for my other characters. They will be able to use a 2 weeks when I get it, right?

The golem is an individual item, soulbound to the character that receives the mail. I'm not sure what happens with accounts that upgrade to deluxe and already have existing characters, but whenever I create a new character, they receive a mail with the golem. The 2 week countdown starts the moment you *use* the golem, but simply taking it from the mail won't trigger it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom