• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, for the golem banker from the digital deluxe, it's a 2 weeks per character, right? If it's over on one character and I didn't get it from the mail for my other characters. They will be able to use a 2 weeks when I get it, right?

My only problem with the golem banker is it counts down even if you're logged out. :/

SirKhalid

My only problem with the golem banker is it counts down even if you're logged out. :/

Yeah, it would be cool if it was 2 weeks in-game time. I was thinking about creating a new alt so I could transform my karma into linen scrap and cotton scrap without running back and forth. I would just need to use to golem to deposit the stuff and log on another character near the mystic forge.

Sajjaja

So guys, how do skins work? Can you swap them on and off or if you use one, does it mean you can't use others unless you replace the one you have on or....what?

So guys, how do skins work? Can you swap them on and off or if you use one, does it mean you can't use others unless you replace the one you have on or....what?

Right now, you use Transmutation Stones or Crystals to take two items, and pick the look, the stats, and the rune, and combine the two into the one you want with what you picked. Basically, one of the items gets destroyed.

The exception here is Achievement Point and Hall of Monument skins, which can be withdrawn infinitely.

On April 15, you'll have a Wardrobe with all the skins you've unlocked, and spend Transmutation Charges to simply apply the skin to the item you've equipped.

xeris

Blew a bunch of my gems on April 1st when it didn't hit the monthly sale. Ah well, still was able to get the last 3 slots I needed today. I'm now done till they add another race/class.

On a related note, it's one gold for nine gems right now. I didn't think they'd ever let it dip below 10 for psychological reasons. Ouch.

markot

Banned
MMO-ARPU-table.jpg

Yeah, out of context that list makes little sense, and it's even a bit misleading since while GW2 has a higher per-user average. League of Legends has triple of not quadruple the *amount* of users, which offsets the lower per-user spending there quite a bit.

The same site put this out a few weeks earlier:

qZl91w8.jpg

Retro

Was going to post that earlier (it's been on Reddit all day), but there's not much point. It's basically business speak for "Make a good game instead of a good wallet-milking machine and people will pay for it." It's full of holes though (ArenaNet is not the publisher, NCSoft is, and GW2 is B2P not F2P).

My only question is, if they "deduct the cost of acquiring a player from their spend," are they taking the $50 box sale into account?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GW2 is B2P not F2P).

My only question is, if they "deduct the cost of acquiring a player from their spend," are they taking the $50 box sale into account?
while true and good question, either way it seems crazy to me that it's in striking distance of something with a model like tf2's per user. I'd have had no clue. wild stuff regardless imo.
Obsidian Sanctum 9pm EST tonight. I'll have my mesmer to help and then we can jump over to SBI for the BL jp if its not queued (I doubt it).

Honestly next week FA probably won't even be the ones trolling in OS. HoD has plenty of people spending their time in there
shit that's, now

Proven

Was going to post that earlier (it's been on Reddit all day), but there's not much point. It's basically business speak for "Make a good game instead of a good wallet-milking machine and people will pay for it." It's full of holes though (ArenaNet is not the publisher, NCSoft is, and GW2 is B2P not F2P).

I believe they're considering the price of bandwidth. Broadband isn't always cheap for customers.

Proven

That seems incredibly unlikely as none of that money goes to the publisher of the game, right?

I thought they were talking about the players having less money to spend on the game, then I reread the paragraph.

"You must deduct the cost of acquiring a player from their spend... Having a clear sense of marketing cost helps build a user base more effectively."

Oh well, that answers it.

Sajjaja

He doesnt quite know. He goes to register. He fills out everything and then clicks next, then it just refreshes the page and his password fields are blank.

Does it say that his password must be bigger than 8 characters or something? I couldn't register despite my password being above the limit (I believe it was 10), but I had to make it much longer in order for it to go through.

Proven

I was wondering before, but we got a confirmation on how many tomes of knowledge you can get from reward tracks. Assuming what they said on Ready Up before holds true (one PvP match win or lose increases your reward track by 1), then it will take 5 matches maximum to get a Tome of Knowledge. If winning gives you extra towards your reward track then it can go as low as 2-3 matches if you're playing solo or team queue. Combine that with Tomes of Knowledge from ranking up, PvP should be the fastest way to level up outside of Living Story and WvW farms. But with the added bonus that you can level up an alt while playing a different character.

As for something other people care about more, don't forget to finish your Monthly Achievement before the patch next week. There's the option of Daily Completions each day if you want something easy with low time investment instead of powering through it in one day. You only have to complete 2 achievements instead of the usual 4.

You want to complete the April Monthly early because it will be reset after the patch on April 15th. You probably won't be able to get extra laurels, but you will likely be able to get the other rewards a second time.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Does it say that his password must be bigger than 8 characters or something? I couldn't register despite my password being above the limit (I believe it was 10), but I had to make it much longer in order for it to go through.

He made 12 character pass and it still didn't work. It is really weird.

Complistic

Probably not it but I believe Anet banned passwords that were on a list of compromised passwords a while back. Tell him not to make his password the same one he uses for everything else.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Has he tried another browser? If that occurs in multiple browsers and there's literally no error message, it's probably just load intensity...

Morokh

I've been taking someones advice in this thread and have been guesting on Blackgate the last few days since I play at night time, and the population difference is quite impressive.

I was able to chain world events and such things and made 10 gold in two days, i can safely say that my complaint about not being able to make money while doing 'solo' content is basically gone. (and by 'solo' I mean outside of a created group like for a dungeon)

I've also been tinkering with my lvl 50 Necromancer, and I'm seriously considering shelving it, I'm usually one to go with the dark caster type in RPG's, but the way the class is designed in this game just doesn't make sense/doesn't click with me. (and boy the human origin story doesn't help with enjoying the character either .....)

Will wait for the new patch at least and see, but in the meantime i'm open to any tips, advice, guides or whatever can help.

xeris

I've been taking someones advice in this thread and have been guesting on Blackgate the last few days since I play at night time, and the population difference is quite impressive.

I was able to chain world events and such things and made 10 gold in two days, i can safely say that my complaint about not being able to make money while doing 'solo' content is basically gone. (and by 'solo' I mean outside of a created group like for a dungeon)

I've also been tinkering with my lvl 50 Necromancer, and I'm seriously considering shelving it, I'm usually one to go with the dark caster type in RPG's, but the way the class is designed in this game just doesn't make sense/doesn't click with me. (and boy the human origin story doesn't help with enjoying the character either .....)

Will wait for the new patch at least and see, but in the meantime i'm open to any tips, advice, guides or whatever can help.

WAY oversimplifying, but in general there's 3 main Necro paths that people tend to take: Power, Minions, or Conditions. All three can play quite a bit differently, especially if you go with a non-standard build. You may find that if you switch up paths you might like one more than another. I wasn't feeling my first Necro until I switched from a minion build to a power variant and he became my main.

Proven

So whats the difference between edge of the mist and the mist war?
Edge of the Mists mechanics-wise is the Mist War++. But nothing you do in Edge of the Mists counts directly towards success in the Mist War.

The Mist War is World vs World vs World. Three servers duke it out across four maps for a week. There are camps, towers, and castle keeps to capture and holding them for X amount of time grants points for your world's score. After one week, point totals are compared, a rating is adjusted, and then the 24 NA servers and 27 EU servers are rematched with each other based on their new rating. If you want a more direct explanation then wait until Friday night when we're rematched and jump onto the Teamspeak server with the rest of us (assuming you're on Stormbluff Isle) as we storm a map.

Just be careful. Both EotM and the Mist War are PvP zones using your PvE equipment. So if you're not prepared you may want to run in the opposite direction when a big fight starts. Unlike the PvP in the Heart of the Mists, PvP in the Mist War is impartial and not on a flattened playing field.
So PVP in this game.......hwat..... I don't even know what's happening.

I'll get to this if no one else has after I wake up in the morning. I'm in a "no reason to touch PvP until April 15th" mood.

Katoki

What's April 15th? We have a Teamspeak?

TeamSpeak information can be found in the guild message. The guild uses Mumble but the server uses TeamSpeak.

So usually around 8pm ET people in SBI do Taco?

Whatever the spawn right after dailies reset is would be the highest chance at success since they do it organized once or twice after the reset. Don't quote me on this since I never go to these but at least the first attempt should be successful.

Ludovico

Yes but people start gathering in the map as early as 7est so they don't get locked out of the map at 8.

This.
I ended up having to fight Teq on an overflow map last week.
We got pooped on :'(

Spring break coming up, perfect timing for the new update.
I'd of preferred Dark Souls 2, but I think GW finally has its hooks back in me...

Retro

What's April 15th?

The Feature Update, a huge update with lots of changes, especially to sPvP. Read more here.

Fuck... I just realized all you guys who just started playing haven't gotten to see the Living Story live yet. Buckle your seat belts for that, you post-Battle for Lion's Arch folks are gonna have your minds blown. Especially since Season 2 will probably be leaps and bounds ahead of the slow-burn, highly experimental Scarlet arc.

TeamSpeak information can be found in the guild message. The guild uses Mumble but the server uses TeamSpeak.

Whatever the spawn right after dailies reset is would be the highest chance at success since they do it organized once or twice after the reset. Don't quote me on this since I never go to these but at least the first attempt should be successful.

I have never been able to get teq outside of the spawn right after reset.

Ceres

Banned
SBI only does the immediate post reset Taco now as its the one that's organized.

However, there is currently a thread on the SBI forums regarding the boss changing with the upcoming patch and how Taco will not be spawning until 7pm server time (2 hrs later than when SBI currently does it) - http://www.stormbluffisle.com/index.php/forum/non-wvw/3360-sbi-tequatl-post-april-15th-patch

Apparently they're looking into having guilds organize reset spawns.

Also, WvW Reset - I was thinking this might be a good week to help defend so I plan on going SBI BL. Signups are on the forums so if GAF wants to go elsewhere, let me know and I can put us down. I want to help focus defense this upcoming week since its going to be tough and I know we have defenders who are getting burnt out again.

Also, WvW Reset - I was thinking this might be a good week to help defend so I plan on going SBI BL. Signups are on the forums so if GAF wants to go elsewhere, let me know and I can put us down. I want to help focus defense this upcoming week since its going to be tough and I know we have defenders who are getting burnt out again.

I'm going to try to be on tomorrow at reset so I can actually get in. I think HoD is going to be gunning for us and I don't know if we will be able to defend very easily looking at what they did to FA.

There is a chance we could end up 3rd if we don't defend our keeps. I will try to help out defend on reset night but if its queued I'll end up going to red BL as usual because IoJ needs to be squashed.

Ceres

Banned
I'm going to try to be on tomorrow at reset so I can actually get in. I think HoD is going to be gunning for us and I don't know if we will be able to defend very easily looking at what they did to FA.

There is a chance we could end up 3rd if we don't defend our keeps. I will try to help out defend on reset night but if its queued I'll end up going to red BL as usual because IoJ needs to be squashed.

I think its going to be HoD-FA-SBI. This week it was all the 1s, 2s, and 3s against each other due to scoring but starting Friday it should be based on top overall scores only. and right now it will be HoD-10, FA-8, SBI-8, with IoJ, YB, and NSP all coming in at 6 (didn't double check those so might be slightly off)

Zeroth

I think its going to be HoD-FA-SBI. This week it was all the 1s, 2s, and 3s against each other due to scoring but starting Friday it should be based on top overall scores only. and right now it will be HoD-10, FA-8, SBI-8, with IoJ, YB, and NSP all coming in at 6 (didn't double check those so might be slightly off)

I'm pretty sure it will be HoD-FA-SBI. Which may make our life easier as FA and HoD will be fighting each other closely, or harder if they both go for our throats.

Proven

What's April 15th? We have a Teamspeak?

As Retro mentioned, there's a group of PvP features being added on the 15th, but I'm mostly placing my hopes on balance changes, the removal of a certain map from solo queue, and the potential influx of new players.

Currently PvP is held in the Heart of the Mists. I forgot to mention it in my last post, but you can check your server's Mist War (WvW) progress or enter a map by clicking the little rook icon in the upper left of your screen (default keybind 'B'). You can also enter structured PvP or look at your account's PvP stats through the crossed icon near it (sadly, no default keybind, but I set mine to 'J').

PvP is short for Structured PvP (some people prefer to call it "sPvP", but I'd prefer just to call the Mist War "WvW" instead). As it currently stands it is played under a single game mode, Conquest, across seven maps that mix things up by varying amounts. The constant for each map is three capture point circles that are capturable by any person at any time, as long as there isn't also a player of the opposite team also standing in the circle. After enough games it can come off as boring or dumb but it's surprisingly strategically fun when you get a coordinated (or at least map aware) enough group going.

I wrote a whole "how to gear up and get into your first game" tutorial, but honestly I'd rather say wait until next week. As it is, most people playing right now are the PvP inclined that don't want to do WvW for one of several possible reasons, and if that reason is time of day or match up based, will just jump back into WvW when they can. Unless you also have a PvP inclination you're probably not going to have a fun experience without any GAFfers, and most don't touch PvP.

Even without the balance changes, the influx of newer blood should make the hotjoin experience more fun.

I should have gotten more sleep.

From here on out war gets interesting. We cannot afford to come in third place this match.

Yes but people start gathering in the map as early as 7est so they don't get locked out of the map at 8.

7 PM EST? Overflow guaranteed. I've been dumped into an overflow at 6:30 PM EST. Over an hour and a half AFK-ing for one fight was too much, I stopped trying to get into it.

7 PM EST? Overflow guaranteed. I've been dumped into an overflow at 6:30 PM EST. Over an hour and a half AFK-ing for one fight was too much, I stopped trying to get into it.
You need to use TS so you join in party with people already in map and you can join in because it's probably on soft cap not hard cap.

Proven

It's issues like this that cause me to see the real game changer of World Bosses isn't the Megaserver schedule, but the ability for guilds to spawn them. Of course, a lot depends on how easy it is for guilds to research a spawn consumable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom