• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Yeah, if they're going to do anything it's gonna be at Prime. A dev even tweeted that they had a bunch of PAX East passes last week but that it was a shame they weren't going to use them. I would imagine between NCSoft pushing Wildstar so hard and the China launch for GW2 coming so quickly, there wasn't much point in having a presence on the other side of the country at what is, let's be honest, not as big a show as PAX Prime.

Lunar15

Wildstar is getting the same amount of promotion GW2 got when it was coming out, probably less.That's NCSoft's game to promote right now. Wasting any money on GW2 which is a pretty solid hit that's making money on its own would kind of weird. If they were doing expansions, that would give them a talking point, but as it is it's understandably muted.

Also, some of the problem is in the agencies covering the two games. NCSoft isn't using the same advertising agency for both games. Ayzenberg is handling GW2, and they're a more CPA performance based agency. Tangible Media is handling Wildstar and they're a little more proactive.

At least in digital that is. No idea who's handling non-digital.

Shiokazu

maybe we are better without new blood. i am afraid of the new blood to be sincere, i mean, with the new blood come some risks of something like, the cancerbase, the dwellers of crapchat and stuff like that to come in numbers and fuck up with the image of the game entirely;

i did read plenty of bad stuff about guild wars before buying, but the video content i found around.

you can say that wooden potatoes and dontain made me realize that there was a good community ingame, indeed they were not wrong, and the material that Anet already has an always had in their side sells stuff.

dude, the manifesto was that made me really buy this game.

I would say it's hard to advertise GW2 at a convention now without a big event like an expansion or living story season title (with bullet points of big features like new zones, etc).

However, I do miss when Anet would have two exclusive pins for every convention for collectors.

SodJPEO.jpg

What are they gonna market there's no LS currently and Anet is gonna be tight lipped about LS S2 and the feature pack I just don't seeing bringing in new players it's more about the players already here.

Marketing doesn't always have to be about specifically bringing in new people or advertising new things: just about maintaining public awareness. Coca Cola doesn't advertise because it *needs* to, or to punt new products - 90% of its ads are just to keep the name *alive* in the zeitgeist of the population. And I think that may be what GW2 lacks somewhat, but that's just me thinking out loud.

The game feels "dead" on the outside among people who don't *actively* play it, far moreso than any other game series I can think of. It's enough to make it stand out to me, as an oddity, an outlier, from the usual feeling a game has on the outside, even among the disinterested.

But again, if Anet is comfortable with how things are, then all is fine. I'm just talking about what I'm noticing. This isn't "doom and gloom" or anything asinine like that.

Wildstar is getting the same amount of promotion GW2 got when it was coming out, probably less..

Could just be me, but I feel it's actually the reverse. Feels like WildStar is getting almost double the budget that GW2 got, but it could be because WildStar is a new IP, whereas GW2 was riding on the GW1 bandwagon, so they didn't need to PR as hard. Their booth was almost three times the size this year compared to last, though granted, it's launching in a few months.

Shiokazu

I would say it's hard to advertise GW2 at a convention now without a big event like an expansion or living story season title (with bullet points of big features like new zones, etc).

However, I do miss when Anet would have two exclusive pins for every convention for collectors.

SodJPEO.jpg

aw, if i lived in the US i would love to have one of those.

The game feels "dead" on the outside among people who don't *actively* play it, far moreso than any other game series I can think of. It's enough to make it stand out to me, as an oddity, an ou from the usual feeling a game has on the outside, even among the disinterested.But again, if Anet is comfortable with how things are, then all is fine. I'm just talking about what I'm noticingThis isn't "doom and gloom" or anything asinine like that.

This is exceedingly true. Coming into the game only recently, i was quite surprised by the sheer quantity of high pop servers, especially since the game generates close to zero noise in most places. I was expecting a game close to dead, outside of one or two servers.

Nowadays i just chalk it up to GW2 truly being unique, which results in it attracting massive quantities of salt from those that expected yet another slightly different mmo.

Kilrathi

I just picked up the game to play super causally. I just came back from PAX my self, still recovering from the whole weekend. Still super exhausted from this year more so than normal because I ported my whole VR project from UDK to Unreal engine 4 in 2.5 weeks.

Is there anything I should keep a eye for when starting up GW2 fresh?

Lunar15

Find me an active MMO that doesn't sound dead. Only WoW continues to have press coverage because it's WoW. And even that's a little quiet.

I mean, apparently even TOR is still kicking, but you never really hear about it.

I'm unfortunately going to be using the clothing item refund bit there. It's a shame -- I really like my town clothes.

To add to the Guild chat from earlier, the Caladbolg's name may be simple in etymology, but it is a legendary sword that was said to have the power to cut the tops off of three hills. Also it's Celtic.

Retro

I just picked up the game to play super causally. I just came back from PAX my self, still recovering from the whole weekend. Still super exhausted from this year more so than normal because I ported my whole VR project from UDK to Unreal engine 4 in 2.5 weeks.

Is there anything I should keep a eye for when starting up GW2 fresh?

Beginner's tips in the OT should help with the basics, otherwise just explore the land doing good and kicking ass and you'll be fine. A GAFGuild invite always helps too, you can post your username (name.####) in the thread and we'll get you hooked up straight away.

Aquila

Anybody got some links handy for good wvw videos? Not ones that explain what to do, but rather just show all the excitement. The only videos that I have are more gvg, solo roaming, or just a bit too laggy while being filmed.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
Arenanet put an embargo on all previews of the feature pack that were played at PAX and outside of it by media and press.

BogOtter, MattVisual, MMORPG.com got to play it so expect them to put up videos.

Last pax prime they didn't do anything at the show they again had the event at the hotel next door I think but at least they advertised that more.

Find me an active MMO that doesn't sound dead. Only WoW continues to have press coverage because it's WoW. And even that's a little quiet.

I mean, apparently even TOR is still kicking, but you never really hear about it.

Eve.

I also fins it quite interesting how every time Eve hits the news, its due to some display of sociopathy on a humongous scale.

I finally beat the "Not So Secret" jumping puzzle and accompanying dive spot. I hate it so much. I tried it once back in January with Emitan, and we both ended up falling and dying dozens of times and giving up.

I still fell and died a bunch of times (the worst being twice while nearly at the top trying to get the goggles and once WHILE WEARING THE GOGGLES AND MISSING THE JUMP), but I am happy to have it out of the way so that I never have to think about it again.

I'm constantly seeing ink about Eve, LOTRO, Allods Online, The Secret World, Defiance, Neverwinter Online, Runescape, Mabinogi and a few others. Granted, not a heck of a lot about half of them, but I'm talking just casual mentions in my newsfeeds or by people I know, etc. I read about 30 - 40 gaming sites a week (part of the job, blech), and to say that GW2 is silent in this cacophony really is an understatement. Again, not saying that's a bad thing - it just stands out enough to me that I think it worth mentioning.

I mean, it was this quiet *during* the peak of the Living World. The only blip ended up being the destruction of Lion's Arch.

docbon

Apparently TOR is doing better than Guild Wars 2, heh.

Also where will one be able to get dyes from, post update?

Just the hue specific dye kits, mystic forging dyes from said kits, and ???

Oh man, the sheer amount of grey boxes in the Wardrobe indicating skins you don't have, is going to drive the collectors insane.

Though: seems to unlock skins for your wardrobe, you have to right click an item and select 'Unlock Skin'. It's not done automatically.

I am in Europe. I don't understand your uncivilized timezones. How many hours from right now til we start new characters and go crazy Metrica Province?

Also.. I don't know if I should make a Thief or a Mesmer.

Here is my character standing as of 15-04:

Frezu, Warrior Greatsword/Longbow got his first Ascended weapon a few weeks back. He is ready for a gear overhaul in the next few days. He is fully ascended outside of armor.

Koreu, Guardian is now lvl 80 and is full exotic. He is totally condition removal/AOE healing and he is awesome. Only for WvW. He is great. It feels almost like playing some Priest in WoW. The support is very very good.

I like the mobile classes that move fast and give support. Thief has a lot of escape and swiftness skills, but little class support to help allies.
On the other hand mesmer has little swiftness capabillities if you don't want to use focus (I am Staff / GS or Staff/Sword+pistol) but of course has good support. My lvl 15 mesmer has been laying Null fields in WvW to great effects, but moving around is a tedious pain.

Ranger is 42, not feeling it. Get sick of the pet. I want the ranged/melee combo and the swiftness increase, but.. gah.

What I roll mates?

Looking for the group support / swiftness enabled class. Is there any good thief group support builds?

Proven

Update should hit in the next 2-3 hours, unless there's a delay.

Anybody got some links handy for good wvw videos? Not ones that explain what to do, but rather just show all the excitement. The only videos that I have are more gvg, solo roaming, or just a bit too laggy while being filmed.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr8WVVOKGYM
You can look through that channel's video history for more short clips.

There are a bunch I can look up that I've watched just this week, but is it just this type of stuff you want? What I usually do is find some channel that represents a guild and skim through its videos. Like DeanyKong's vids for PYRO, a bunch of old Red Guard vids are still around on one or two channels, etc.

Ceres

Banned
What I roll mates?

Looking for the group support / swiftness enabled class. Is there any good thief group support builds?

I don't know that there's a lot of thief support builds. They're usually used for high offensive solo builds more so that group support. When I run into thieves in zergs they're usually the ones straying to far from the zerg to try to gank people. You can trait to provide some boons but I think its similar to ranger where other classes already provide that but better.

Personally, I would say try necro. They can offer an offensive support build with boon stripping and blinds. I run a warhorn offhand for the speed but usually there's enough guardians/warriors in a group to keep constant speed buffs going.

Ele is pretty much the biggest true group support/swiftness class. Run staff and use Air S5 for others to blast area swiftness or S4 for aoe swiftness (which will also cure crippled, immobilized, and chilled conditions). They're also the major supplier of water fields for area healing.

Atrophis

Apparently TOR is doing better than Guild Wars 2, heh.

That top 10 you are referring to isn't really reliable. I don't get why their figures are being posted all over the place, they are clearly pulling a lot of figures out of their ass.

Edit: I agree, roll an Ele. I've been levelling one in WvW off hours and you can support well even at low levels.

I don't know that there's a lot of thief support builds. They're usually used for high offensive solo builds more so that group support. When I run into thieves in zergs they're usually the ones straying to far from the zerg to try to gank people. You can trait to provide some boons but I think its similar to ranger where other classes already provide that but better.

Personally, I would say try necro. They can offer an offensive support build with boon stripping and blinds. I run a warhorn offhand for the speed but usually there's enough guardians/warriors in a group to keep constant speed buffs going.

Ele is pretty much the biggest true group support/swiftness class. Run staff and use Air S5 for others to blast area swiftness or S4 for aoe swiftness (which will also cure crippled, immobilized, and chilled conditions). They're also the major supplier of water fields for area healing.

cool cool cool.

Proven

I'm going to power nap right now, wake up an hour later, and find out that the patch came out 5 minutes after I went to sleep. Like the last several times.

Moondrop

Banned
I opened 182 dyes last night. Got a few rares I'd been missing; made ~25 gold not counting future duplicates. Looking forward to giving all my characters a new coat of paint.

In other news, I've abandoned my attempt to play dps zerg warrior after 2.5 weeks.

Shiokazu

I opened 182 dyes last night. Got a few rares I'd been missing; made ~25 gold not counting future duplicates. Looking forward to giving all my characters a new coat of paint.

In other news, I've abandoned my attempt to play dps zerg warrior after 2.5 weeks.

i am playing cleric warrior.

no kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom