• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

31dRHNT.jpg

I didn't earn two of these achievements but it gave them to me anyway >_>

I'm levelling an Elementalist alt, just running around in random directions and not really paying much attention: just meandering, and enjoying fiddling with new skills. Next thing I know, I'm in Wayfarer Foothills, doing random events and answering questions in map chat. There's a lot of queries about what exactly "megaserver" is, so I'm answering as best I can, and still not paying much attention. Didn't realize I was standing next to where the Svanir Shaman spawns.

cUeNfBt.jpg

Like a damn nuke going off.

As for megaservers, so far I've seen two responses to it:

Players who are just levelling, new, returning or not part of a 500-person guild: effing love megaservers, think it's the greatest thing ever and they're so glad the lowlevel zones aren't empty omg yes.

Players who are part of giant guilds: omg, Anet ruined guildwars uninstalling naow.

Personally, and I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather have the first (and by far largest) group happy, than the guilds.

Korten

Banned
Finally crafted an Ascended Armor piece... I'm still in the camp that they need to make Ascended Armor easier to craft, more in line with how easy Ascended Weapons are to craft.

Seriously, you need 3 Bolts to craft the Insignia's, then you need 1 to craft an armor piece, then for some armor pieces you need 4 Ignots of Deldrimor...

It wouldn't be that bad... If bolts only costed 50 Silk to craft and not fucking 100 silk...

Shiokazu

here is how bad this connection is:

to log in it used to take on about 5s on bad days

it took 15 with this new connection.

to get into the actual map i was, it usually took on 10s, on bad days

1min with this new connection.

no lag upon using a hability.

today it took 1~2 second delay.

not to mention moonwalking.

i want to cry.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
As a player who just started this month and witnessed the first time leveling process on both sides of the megaservers, I think it is brilliant. Going through zones is much, much, much more fun now. Just little stuff like having a dozen or so people help each other through a jumping puzzle goes a long way on making a good impression.

Maybe today is the day I'll get a permanent haicut contract.

Nah, it will probably be a revive orb and a repair canister.
I got 6 total, got 7 tries but just got 1 scrap and a bunch of boosters. Never again.

Don't know why they give out mystery tonics from BL Chests, such a waste.

Got 4 unidentified dyes which I'll sell I'm a year.

Atrophis

all the things i need to store are account/soulbound tho :(

You can't store that stuff in guild bank? Damn, I guess I'm not that clever :( Does make sense I guess.

Still will help clear a little space in my personal bank at least and doesn't cost that much to set up.

I hope in the future Anet gets SSAO working natively in the game. Using nvidia inspector I forced it on and it works well for the most part, but does have some minor issues that would prevent me from keeping it during live play. But it does really add nice depth to the world. The major issue is that the occlusion shadows aren't affected by distance falloff, so they're too visible in the distance, which ruins the 'depth fog' effect.

Off
RgVb8GS.jpg

On
kfBARRZ.jpg

The major issue is that the occlusion shadows aren't affected by distance falloff, so they're too visible in the distance, which ruins the 'depth fog' effect.
Is that the same as ambient occlusion? I don't think Nvidia has fixed that yet with their drivers. They specifically mention in their "unresolved issues" that ambient occlusion is not perfect for GW2.

That second picture looks like a pre-pre-pre-alpha build. BTW, what happened to the skybox.

Edit: looks like IoJ took a break last night. We're almost up by 20K points now. On Wednesday early morning (NA time), IoJ had decreased the deficit from 16K to 10K in one night. Might've burnt them out to work that hard as they couldn't repeat it the next night. Good job SBI.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeesh Miktar, it's too bad the shadows go so overboard, that is remarkable.

Two new boss timer apps for the inclined:

that_shaman's and SiSu's

With all due respect to the legend that he is, while that_shaman's is very slick and includes lots of clever information, I think I like the latter the best of any I've seen before. It includes the other daily events that aren't part of the schedule for you to tick off if you want, and just has a nice layout.

Is that the same as ambient occlusion? I don't think Nvidia has fixed that yet with their drivers. They specifically mention in their "unresolved issues" that ambient occlusion is not perfect for GW2.

Yeah, SSAO = Screen Space Ambient Occlusion. There are lots of compatibility flags in the drivers to make it work with certain games, and GW2 never got official compatibility but you can try other games' profiles. Some work better than others. Just forcing it on straight causes it to cut in and out based on camera angle, but if you set it to Demigod's profile it actually works great - except for the shadows not being affected by distance falloff fog. Not sure what happened to the skybox in the shots, actually. Then again, DR's skybox was always wonky to me depending on where you stand. The shots are looking north, which looks out across the ocean. So there isn't really supposed to be anything there.

As much as I love GW2, the engine they've built / reappropriated from GW1, is... a frankensteinian mess. Their UI z-fights with in-world elements, I don't even want to think about the havoc layer, and we all know how well Umbra does not work. In all honesty, I think nothing short of a total rewrite of the major rendering systems could fix all the problems they've inherited and created.

Trey

As much as I love GW2, the engine they've built / reappropriated from GW1, is... a frankensteinian mess. Their UI z-fights with in-world elements, I don't even want to think about the havoc layer, and we all know how well Umbra does not work. In all honesty, I think nothing short of a total rewrite of the major rendering systems could fix all the problems they've inherited and created.

Guild Wars 3!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, there's little chance of that. While it has plenty of glitchy aspects and isn't anywhere near as optimized as it could be on highest-end systems, it obviously functions well enough for their current design goals while performing admirably on light/weak hardware, which is incredibly important for the genre. It can still be tweaked to get a bit better over time as well, but we're not going to see a new engine before a new game.

Looking at Saturday afternoon for our Arah revenge event..

edit: Wow, wish I wanted to make Rodgort. Guess it might be cool on my Guardian one day... burninate!!!

GW1s engine was pretty amazing by doing so many things client side to relive server stress. Good article on the engine of GW1 here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/07/29/the-tech-of-guild-wars

If you really think about it's amazing that you can have so many players fight with all those numbers running in the background, and not have a total lag show. When WvW works and you can still dodge somewhat effectively. Its pretty damn impressive. so much of the game scales in a way that no other online games really are comparable. I wonder if a newer modern licensed engine tech would have made them cut corners of this vision.

After all, the GW2 dynamic event is an element GW Utopia. They had it running inside GW1 quests in internal testing. http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013691/Designing-Guild-Wars-2-Dynamic

Yeah, the GW1 engine is to me, still a modern marvel. In-line patching, super-efficient on bandwidth, looked great at the time, complex systems all going off with almost no lag.

I do wonder why they didn't keep using the in-line background patching: the system is still there, you can see it in the mapinfo load display.

And GW2's large-scale, hundred-plus-players battles are incredible: you'd have to be really jaded to not be amazed that we can have stuff like it now.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with how the game looks:

sGaN1Fq.jpg

2KTcsqE.jpg

I also like how they've put in a lot of physics: cloth, and especially flora being pushed-pulled by skills. Like this bit when using skill 5 on dagger ele - the grass is sucked in at first, calm during impact, then aftershock wind pushes everything away.

0xieM9X.jpg

SSCcGSK.jpg

ATfRQ4o.jpg

And of course: the masterful environments:

4sX7icu.jpg

HoarXdZ.jpg

idGPE2A.jpg

2N62aZ7.jpg

While the environments don't have the - for a lack of a better word - chunky three-dimensionality of games like WoW or FFXIV - I think the tradeoff is worth it, having more general environmental detail.

But yeah - in spite of any criticism I make regarding GW2's engine, I don't think anyone can question how much I love the game's visuals :p I literally built my PC, before GW2's launch, for GW2 and GW2 only. Though I'm hoping to replace the 2 x GTX 560 with a GTX 750 TI this year.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My Guild Wars 2 time is looking like it is going to be reduced a bit. Dark Souls 2 unlocks in a few hours O.O
It does..?! I thought that was tomorrow night.

Well there goes the tiniest sliver of a miniscule chance of beating DS1 on PC before it comes out. Oh well, I'll just have to revisit that game some day.

Can't wait.... a whole new slew of challenges to make way more difficult than necessary for myself..

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It does..?! I thought that was tomorrow night.

Well there goes the tiniest sliver of a miniscule chance of beating DS1 on PC before it comes out. Oh well, I'll just have to revisit that game some day.

Can't wait.... a whole new slew of challenges to make way more difficult than necessary for myself..

Available: April 24th, 2014
This game will unlock in approximately 3 hours

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well fuck. I'll probably hop online to WvW for an hour or so to assuage my guilt and then dive into DS2 head first.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Offseason Event #3.2 - Masters of ARAH Take Two - Saturday 4/26 at 2:00PM EDT

It's that time again! Arah 1 shall not defeat us this day. Saturday afternoon we head back in to the ruined city. This isn't a race, but a general all-welcome, let's get a tough-ass dungeon done together event. Here are some general tips:
  • Range, AOE damage, and reflection are very valuable throughout the whole dungeon.
  • The ability to stealth, grant swiftness to, or otherwise protect the party while moving is great, because there's a lot of opportunity (and near-necessity) for running past danger.
  • Potent or Powerful Potions of Undead Slaying are the drink of choice here.
  • A sub-boss that appear in every path, Giganticus Lupicus, is a true skill check. He has three phases, and I consider phase 2 of this fight to be one of the toughest, most demanding encounters in the game. It's not required at all, but if you're wary of your abilities, you may want to read up on his phases a little bit and how to prepare your build for the fight.
  • The storylines in play in the explorable paths here are a cut above those found in other dungeons. If at all interested in the lore of GW2 and especially various threads that connect back to GW1, it's worth paying attention to or at least reading the dialog from the cutscenes.
Hope to see you there!

Zeroth

It's that time again! Arah 1 shall not defeat us this day. Saturday afternoon we head back in to the ruined city. This isn't a race, but a general all-welcome, let's get a tough-ass dungeon done together event. Here are some general tips:
  • Range, AOE damage, and reflection are very valuable throughout the whole dungeon.
  • The ability to stealth, grant swiftness to, or otherwise protect the party while moving is great, because there's a lot of opportunity (and near-necessity) for running past danger.
  • A sub-boss that appear in every path, Giganticus Lupicus, is a true skill check. He has three phases, and I consider phase 2 of this fight to be one of the toughest, most demanding encounters in the game. It's not required at all, but if you're wary of your abilities, you may want to read up on his phases a little bit and how to prepare your build for the fight.
  • The storylines in play in the explorable paths here are a cut above those found in other dungeons. If at all interested in the lore of GW2 and especially various threads that connect back to GW1, it's worth paying attention to or at least reading the dialog from the cutscenes.
Hope to see you there!

I recommend preparing for at least 4 hours of dungeoning, though I'm hopeful we'll do it earlier this time.

Mikey Jr.

Damn, trying to plow through this game as fast as I can.

There seems like so much awesome stuff, but I still have to get through the story and get to level 80 first.

Its tough though. I get to a story, beat it, and the next one requires me to be sometimes 3 levels higher. The problem is that I have no idea how to level up decently. It seems slow.

Bleh.

I wanna play WvW, pvp, these dungeons, other shit, fractals?. Just a whole bunch of crap, and I'm here just to grind.

Damn, trying to plow through this game as fast as I can.

There seems like so much awesome stuff, but I still have to get through the story and get to level 80 first.

Its tough though. I get to a story, beat it, and the next one requires me to be sometimes 3 levels higher. The problem is that I have no idea how to level up decently. It seems slow.

Bleh.

I wanna play WvW, pvp, these dungeons, other shit, fractals?. Just a whole bunch of crap, and I'm here just to grind.

Just wander around the zones and do the Dynamic Events. That's the primary "PvE" way to level. You'll also want to harvest everything. Mining, Plants and Trees. That gives xp as well. Pick up some crafting trades and craft every now and then when you get good amounts of resources. Do some dungeons when you hit the appropriate levels (the game should send you in-game mail when you hit that proper level for a dungeon). But generally.. grinding isn't very efficient and it's not fun.

Damn, trying to plow through this game as fast as I can

Why? The things you'll be doing at 80 are the things you're doing now. There's nothing really "waiting" at 80.

Sure, WvW is a valid thing to have an 80 for, but you level fast doing WvW anyway. When I don't feel like questing, I take my lowbie alts into WvW and romp around with the zerg.

sPvP has no levels - everyone is the same level the instant you go in.

Dungeons are great to do as you level, the moment they unlock, because of the XP you get. When you hit 35 you start with AC, then there's a new dungeon every 5 levels or so.

Fractals is a valid place to want to be 80, and as close to "end game" as GW2 has, but nothing you need to rush towards either.

Lunar15

This almost deserves it's own thread

I think all you'd get are comments making fun of Polygon for changing review scores again.

Although, it is nice to see someone mention how solid the game has been in terms of updates. It's unprecedented, yet it really doesn't get a whole lot of attention.

Aquila

So anyone else create their own one man guild to get extra bank slots cheaply? Can't believe I didn't think of this months ago.

I didn't even have to do that. Since I'm on a different home server, the local gaf guild bank is all mine (and anybody else's who happens to be there). Only wvw schematics and crafting supplies are stuck in it though.

Beautiful pictures

Your screenshots never cease to amaze me. I'm going to have to look into those graphics cards.

Hope to see you there!
Will be at work all day so I won't make the other team fail for four hours again. Still hope there's some epic tales to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom