• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I better stop posting on that thread because I don't want to get banned.
Not a bad plan! ;)
Obviously we can't stop people from posting stuff, but I'm not sure this merited a thread. A .5 increase in a review isn't that big of a deal, and GAF has a special kind of relationship with Polygon to begin with (not to mention MMOs in general). It's definitely a good thing for Guild Wars 2 and ArenaNet, but as the Feature Update thread showed, you really have to disarm the haters right out of the gate or the hate just overruns the thread (as with Ash's Lion's Arch thread). The Feature Patch sold itself, honestly, but I like to think the comic approach, with the light, humorous feel and not-subtle-at-all dismissal of the usual snipes, set the tone for the thread to be positive. Or maybe they were all on vacation that week.

Anyways, thread is up and the usual hate squad will come out of the woodwork if they like. It's not like they're actually organized or anything. I just don't like waving the delicious smell of success under the nose of the irritable bear that is Gaming Side when we can't tell people "No, you're objectively wrong, that is not how it works" without becoming a "Defense force" or, my favorite, having a "persecution complex."

We'll just see how it shakes out.
New thread for new news, and Polygon isn't a tiny site no matter what GAF's relationship with it may be. Let the tone of the thread be whatever it is. I can't get myself worked up about "haters" and "defense force" crap anymore. It's a nice headline for people who might want to jump back in or jump in for the first time, and people who never liked it can vent and are easy to ignore. I've already had an invite request via PM as a result of that thread.

Trey

Stop correcting me, guys. I'm trying to hide my shillness.

Also, you can't aim certain weapons without a target, can you? Any time I shoot a bow with no target I swear the arrows go to oblivion.

I can dispense that work off target with the FGS, though.

Actually, the thread has seemed pretty beneficial so far. Conversation has remained genial, and a few people even sound like they might try it again in light of having had some misunderstandings or control issues.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Stop correcting me, guys. I'm trying to hide my shillness.

Also, you can't aim certain weapons without a target, can you? Any time I shoot a bow with no target I swear the arrows go to oblivion.

I can dispense that work off target with the FGS, though.
Absolutely can, I tested it extensively while developing the gamepad thing. Try aiming almost straight up with your camera and then shooting and slowly moving the camera down vertically while continuing to shoot.

edit: As far as where "oblivion" is, it's just that you'd never aim like this in practice, typically you want an over the shoulder or even closer to top down view of what you're fighting, which puts the crosshair either well above them or in the ground.

I need to figure out how to capture nice gifs from the game, to highlight cool things like field interactions, running/swimming animations, Asuran secondary motion (dat swagger), and so on.

Ashodin? You do D3 gifs like a pro. Let me steal your secrets.

Ceres

Banned
I need to figure out how to capture nice gifs from the game, to highlight cool things like field interactions, running/swimming animations, Asuran secondary motion (dat swagger), and so on.

Ashodin? You do DII gifs like a pro. Let me steal your secrets.

If you have ways of making videos already, there's GifCam that makes it really easy.

Retro

New thread for new news, and Polygon isn't a tiny site no matter what GAF's relationship with it may be. Let the tone of the thread be whatever it is. I can't get myself worked up about "haters" and "defense force" crap anymore. It's a nice headline for people who might want to jump back in or jump in for the first time, and people who never liked it can vent and are easy to ignore. I've already had an invite request via PM as a result of that thread.

Here's the thing though. Disinformation about the game is pretty rampant ("No End game", "Grindy", etc.) and if left to their own devices the tone of gaming-side GW2 threads tends to veer wildly negative. But any time a GW2 player sticks their head up to counteract that, there's the constant threat of a ban hanging over them. For example, Kos hasn't said anything out of line in that thread, but even you agree that it's a good idea to stay out of it to avoid getting banned. Based on how moderators have behaved in the past, you'll understand if I expect the worst.

In the end, it's just an invitation for a lot of vapid drive-by posts and potential bans. The news is good, but is it worth the aggravation?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Here's the thing though. Disinformation about the game is pretty rampant ("No End game", "Grindy", etc.) and if left to their own devices the tone of gaming-side GW2 threads tends to veer wildly negative. But any time a GW2 player sticks their head up to counteract that, there's the constant threat of a ban hanging over them. For example, Kos hasn't said anything out of line in that thread, but even you agree that it's a good idea to stay out of it to avoid getting banned. Based on how moderators have behaved in the past, you'll understand if I expect the worst.

In the end, it's just an invitation for a lot of vapid drive-by posts and potential bans. The news is good, but is it worth the aggravation?
It's okay that we disagree on this, we are just looking at it very differently. There is zero aggravation for me; I'm not letting the opinions people express bother me and disinformation about factual topics is easy to disprove. I also certainly don't feel as though I'm under any threat of being banned for what I'm posting in it. Any new interest in the guild (which we've already received) from GAF proper is "worth it" in my IMO. :)

The megaserver build has been good for recruiting. I got one new player in already and found a gaffer that hadn't heard of our guild that plays regularly last night.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Holy Trinity talk always reminds me of that the article arguing that every first person shooter must by design law be built around iron sights gameplay because COD proved that's the only way to shoot people with guns in first person.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
That thread is weird. I don't want to or mean to say that the game is infallible, but I simply cannot see how one who enjoys MMOs can dislike this game. People had weird complaints like it seems like they designed it for single player and I think to myself.... what game did you play?

Jira

That thread is weird. I don't want to or mean to say that the game is infallible, but I simply cannot see how one who enjoys MMOs can dislike this game. People had weird complaints like it seems like they designed it for single player and I think to myself.... what game did you play?

Those people are the ones who ONLY care about increasing their stats in an endless treadmill of vertical progression. They don't ever seem to realize that they're not really getting any stronger in relation to the challenging content they're doing, because the enemies they're fighting are also progressively stronger so they're really standing still with an illusion of increasing power.

It's like the old saying: put five blind people in a room with an elephant, and you have five different animals described to you. Subjective experience can be really frustrating, regardless of the fact that it's an elephant in the room.

Yarp, I've done my duty, but I'm done. Time to cook dinner and then play GW2 until bed. The more you talk about a game on a forum, the less you like the game. It's dangerous.

Retro

That gaming side thread has devolved into the usual stupidity. "Guild Wars 2 is worse then Hitler and crapped on my grandma!" / "No it's a great game, please explain why" / "WORSE. THAN. HITLER. CRAPPED. AT. GRANDMA!"

Bans are a'comin' in that thread. Bail out now.

I think what surprises me most, is how some people are just outright lying about things. Hyperbole I can understand, but bald-faced lying? That's just weird to me.

Proven

You guys really need to lay off on the other thread a little. Responses to Einbroch especially. Like, the guy is responding to five different posters, so he's processing information and maturing his opinion. He actually has a point with what he was saying. He wants what melee characters and AoE targetting characters can do, using positioning, aim, prediction, and timing to deal with dodges and jukes. Truth is, that's what I wanted GW2 to have too. Instead, they have a single part of the game that absolutely depends on tab targetting 90% of the time. It is a fair point. To compensate, GW2 also has a number of things that put any ranged tab targetted attacks at a disadvantage. But he doesn't like that form of counter play. He'd prefer to just aim his projectiles manually and for that to be the viable and primary method in this system.

Ashodin

I got that feeling too Proven. I backed off him as soon as I realized he wanted more control over how the game played than currently is. What he said first made the most sense about his view of the game - he feels like it's trying to be two things (to him) an action game or a tab-target MMO, and trying to understand both working together is troubling him because he expects one thing to work one way when it works the other way.

XKZmPOQ.jpg

Yeah, I'm done answering questions or trying to correct people. I have a hard time differentiating between people who want to discuss something, and people who just want to rant and not be told anything contrary to their sacrosanct "opinion".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know just how you feel, but really it's no more complicated than "different people like different things." Especially if you came at GW2 expecting something completely different, it's not a matter of how anyone who enjoys MMOs dislikes GW2, so much as it's just wanting it to be something it is not.

I don't really like MMOs (and have never paid for one), but GW2 is one of my favorite games of all time- and I'm fortunate enough to lead our fine guild here. I think that definitely says something.

If people in the other thread want to post that they think the game sucks just so everyone will know that's what they think, that's fine with me. I think that objectively wrong factual information is worth correcting for lurkers, but other than that why not let them get their feelings out?

Generally speaking, despite what the loudest voices might have to say, a majority of the reactions in that thread to the increased review score have been positive in one light or another, even from people who didn't enjoy the game personally.

Lunar15

You guys really need to lay off on the other thread a little. Responses to Einbroch especially. Like, the guy is responding to five different posters, so he's processing information and maturing his opinion. He actually has a point with what he was saying. He wants what melee characters and AoE targetting characters can do, using positioning, aim, prediction, and timing to deal with dodges and jukes. Truth is, that's what I wanted GW2 to have too. Instead, they have a single part of the game that absolutely depends on tab targetting 90% of the time. It is a fair point. To compensate, GW2 also has a number of things that put any ranged tab targetted attacks at a disadvantage. But he doesn't like that form of counter play. He'd prefer to just aim his projectiles manually and for that to be the viable and primary method in this system.

no shut up we need to complain about people complaining and then hop in other threads and rile them up so we can come back here and complain about it.

I'm reminded of when the one GW2 community manager lamented that people don't post their positive experiences on the official forums, and let the negative trolls have run of the place.

I never had a good reply for them. I always felt that posting on the official forums was just inviting a non-stop pile-on from people who want to tear you apart if you don't agree with them that the game is shite. Not sure what to feel about it.

Then again, I'm not the kind of guy that goes into WildStar and ESO threads and say how I disliked them, and yet those kinds of people get free run of the place here on NeoGAF, going into every MMO related thread and shitting on the ones they didn't like. I don't get that attitude.

Trey

I'm reminded of when the one GW2 community manager lamented that people don't post their positive experiences on the official forums, and let the negative trolls have run of the place.

I never had a good reply for them. I always felt that posting on the official forums was just inviting a non-stop pile-on from people who want to tear you apart if you don't agree with them that the game is shite. Not sure what to feel about it.

Then again, I'm not the kind of guy that goes into WildStar and ESO threads and say how I disliked them, and yet those kinds of people get free run of the place here on NeoGAF, going into every MMO related thread and shitting on the ones they didn't like. I don't get that attitude.

Fucking with GW2 official forum trolls and pessimists is a fun way for me to kill time.

hythloday

Fucking with GW2 official forum trolls and pessimists is a fun way for me to kill time.

If you think about it you can read this as "official forum" trolls, or "Official Forum Trolls." I prefer the latter. It makes me smile to imagine trolls that have obtained the necessary government certification to become Official.

I used to get all riled up about people being wrong on the internet but then I got old and being mad at the internet ain't worth it anymore.

Aeris130

So I've taken a break for a couple of months, what's the latest content being done right now? Didn't see any new dungeons in lfg, and no living world achievements either. Most updates on the main site seems to be about system changes.

docbon

You guys really need to lay off on the other thread a little.

And do a little less sniping of other posters from the safety of this thread. It comes off as really weird and defensive.

Some people don't like the game for reasons that may or may not be rational or well thought out. You don't need to dwell on their opinions, or worse, start pulling links from other forums to talk about how wrong they are.

Retro

So I've taken a break for a couple of months, what's the latest content being done right now? Didn't see any new dungeons in lfg, and no living world achievements either. Most updates on the main site seems to be about system changes.

Big Feature Update (read all about it here) was released on the 15th, we're waiting for details on the start of Season 2 of the Living Story now. I would expect it in the next month or so.

Hyunashi

While not necessarily for Wildstar but many GW2 players, and MMO players in general, go deep on ESO because of how bad it is, and it is justified I guess. Its just an opinion about something and people love to get defensive if they like the game.

But at the end of the day, people that like a game will defend it no matter what. That is why people that play WOW think WoW is the best. That is why people that play GW2 think GW2 is the best. That is why people who are playing Wildstar think Wildstar is shaping up to be the best. It will also happen when EQ: Next comes out too. Heck if you want to see a beacon for positivity for GW2, just go on reddit where most criticism is down-voted but I guess this is nullified by how much negativity comes out of the official forums as you have stated.

Personally, I do think GW2 is the best MMO out there at the moment and its positives far outweigh its negatives. I wont comment on the Polygon revised review because I think Polygon is a joke being a Sony fanboy, but I acknowledge that an MMO has little to do with Sony/MS. I just think people are way too defensive with GW2 especially with Wildstar coming and EQ on the horizon and combined with the new WoW expansion there is seriously going to be some REAL competition for GW2. I hope the devs at ANET will step up to the challenge and the first step is to improve the forthcoming Living Story that many people cared little for and also why many people dislike the game. Competition will hopefully breed excellence.

Am also a little peeved at ANET at how they nerfed the Mesmer into mediocrity in the meta and the promised bug fixes never came too. If you want to see genuine negativity, check out the Mesmer sub-forum.

I have yet to see a GW2 GAF player that plays regularly, go into ESO or WildStar threads and shit in them, like I see very specific WoW players here on GAF go into every, single, GW2 thread and shit on GW2 even though they claim they stopped playing ages ago.

There is a difference between defending what you like, and making it a point to go out and attack what you don't. I like GW2, so naturally I'd defend it - but I'd defend WoW as well because, even though I'm retired from it, I still like it. I would defend the good points of ESO, and the good points of WildStar, but I wouldn't go into either thread and talk down about it. And yet, that's exactly what some people do here on GAF - they see a thread about a game they don't like, and it doesn't matter what the thread is about, they'll go in and talk at length about how much they don't like it. That is what boggles my mind.

I'm at the point now with GW2 where I'm not so insecure about the game that I'd need to bash other games or blindly defend GW2, but it does ruffle my feathers when people go into GW2 threads and spread blatant and bald-faced misinformation. That's all.

Ahh totally apologize guys. Next time there's something I think may be thread worthy GW2 related I'll check in here first. I totally agree there should have been an attempt to address the thread derailers and drive by posters from the get go.

Eh, I have reservations about posting a new thread about a gaming site review score update. The overall feeling from this board toward review scores and even gaming writing in general has not been favorable for many months (if not years) and Polygon has been a prime target. I agree with that sentiment. We already had a recent gaming side thread about the Spring Update and this could have been mentioned there. To me it does come across a little PR'ish to tout an arbitrary number increase on a website that no one really likes.

Retro

Ahh totally apologize guys. Next time there's something I think may be thread worthy GW2 related I'll check in here first. I totally agree there should have been an attempt to address the thread derailers and drive by posters from the get go.

You didn't do anything wrong, and you made the thread without any pretense. It's just that, as Hockeypuck said, there's a strong bias against gaming journalism and Polygon in particular at GAF, which bookends nicely with a general dislike of MMOs. You did nothing wrong and unless something has changed the "new news = new thread" guideline still applies.

My problem is that unless the news is so good that it essentially blasts away all of the soil in which so many bitter seeds take root, it's probably not worth creating a new thread. As Miktar said, there are just some people who feel the compulsion to visit threads for games they don't like or play and just spew nonsense. So unless the news is overwhelmingly positive that it leaves no room for negativity, it's a lose/lose situation; the haters get to spout their disinformation and the folks who know better are painted as cheerleaders, marketing shills or rabid defenders.

It sucks, but that's the way the internet works. My approach for gaming side threads as it relates to Guild wars 2 is;

1). Make liberal use of the ignore feature, if for no other reason than to see how many people constantly troll the same type of threads without having to bother remembering their names.
2). Answer questions for people who genuinely have questions or heard the wrong information, but be wary of people who are doing this only to yank your chain.
3). Just play the game, and you'll have no time left for people who only seem to enjoy being miserable and spreading it to others.

Eh, I have reservations about posting a new thread about a gaming site review score update. The overall feeling from this board toward review scores and even gaming writing in general has not been favorable for many months (if not years) and Polygon has been a prime target. I agree with that sentiment. We already had a recent gaming side thread about the Spring Update and this could have been mentioned there. To me it does come across a little PR'ish to tout an arbitrary number increase on a website that no one really likes.

Someone else already did it so no worries. Reception has been fairly positive with most people agreeing that if any type of game needs a revised review score, it's an MMO.

Trey

I thought the GW2 thread was pretty good. At least people talked about their beefs with the game at length, so people on the fence could get a good feel for reasons others didn't like the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom