• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

While not necessarily for Wildstar but many GW2 players, and MMO players in general, go deep on ESO because of how bad it is, and it is justified I guess. Its just an opinion about something and people love to get defensive if they like the game.

But at the end of the day, people that like a game will defend it no matter what. That is why people that play WOW think WoW is the best. That is why people that play GW2 think GW2 is the best. That is why people who are playing Wildstar think Wildstar is shaping up to be the best. It will also happen when EQ: Next comes out too. Heck if you want to see a beacon for positivity for GW2, just go on reddit where most criticism is down-voted but I guess this is nullified by how much negativity comes out of the official forums as you have stated.

Personally, I do think GW2 is the best MMO out there at the moment and its positives far outweigh its negatives. I wont comment on the Polygon revised review because I think Polygon is a joke being a Sony fanboy, but I acknowledge that an MMO has little to do with Sony/MS. I just think people are way too defensive with GW2 especially with Wildstar coming and EQ on the horizon and combined with the new WoW expansion there is seriously going to be some REAL competition for GW2. I hope the devs at ANET will step up to the challenge and the first step is to improve the forthcoming Living Story that many people cared little for and also why many people dislike the game. Competition will hopefully breed excellence.

Am also a little peeved at ANET at how they nerfed the Mesmer into mediocrity in the meta and the promised bug fixes never came too. If you want to see genuine negativity, check out the Mesmer sub-forum.

There's really no competition for ANet with Wildstar or the upcoming WoW expansion. The people playing GW2 play it for a reason, because it's not the same old shit they've been playing for many years now. I also hardly think "many people" cared little for the LS considering the amount of people who logged in every single update was staggering. If it were really so few people who cared, we wouldn't have seen countless overflows for new content every single update. The people who aren't actively playing GW2 are likely not doing so because they want a trinity based game and one with vertical progression. They may or may not go back to WoW or try out Wildstar, but it won't have an impact on GW2 because those people no longer play GW2 anyways. Now EQN on the other hand could potentially pull people away from GW2 but it could also very well co-exist because it shares some of the same philosophies and is F2P. Though EQN is likely 2 years out at this point.

Trey

Reading these ESO reviews and seeing how Guild Wars 2 is mentioned as a touchstone in the genre much the same way that WoW is evoked in anything written about MMOs; and I'm just sitting here like
foQU4.png

Complistic

Is the Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic worth it? 800gems for convenience...

I was on the fence about it, and actually turned it down the first time they put it up for sale, but ended up buying it the second time it was available after asking the guild and it's definitely one of the better purchases you can make. Or at least one of the most useful ones.

Is the Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic worth it? 800gems for convenience...

Considering how much white/blue/green junk is dropped during an average dungeon run, the Copper-Fed is an incredibly useful thing to have - also during WvW zerg runs. It doesn't seem like it would be that convenient, but how much you salvage with it adds up faster than you'd imagine.

I never regret buying mine the day it launched.

I'd gladly pay $30 for it to be an account-wide unlock for all characters, no joke.

Proven

I played... really bad tonight. Bad comms, bad positioning, and I'm finding the limit of my necro build. Sometimes I just absolutely destroy a guy, and other times it's a constant uphill struggle, especially against CC. Maybe I just need to start using Flesh Wurm.

docbon

Precursor update 700GS nothing, 4000 dungeon tokens burned on exotic GS nada...

FUCK You mystic toilet.. :(

Pretty much why I will never make an attempt at a legendary.

I wish the process consisted of an arduous journey with many tests of skill rather than farming a million of everything. I don't want to look at my Twilight and think, "Wow, I grinded for materials harder than a chinese gold farmer to obtain this."

Alas~

I wish the process consisted of an arduous journey with many tests of skill rather than farming a million of everything. I don't want to look at my Twilight and think, "Wow, I grinded for materials harder than a chinese gold farmer to obtain this."

Alas~

It's really not that bad though. Once I started using a site to track materials (so I would know which ones not to sell), and just kept playing normally, the numbers kept slowly going up. It took basically a year, and some gold help from a generous GAF member which saved me a few months, but I got it. Laurels help a lot too, buying the T6 mat bags. I'd say, in all honesty, if someone had been playing since launch and not spending their gold or mats, they'd have a Legendary by now, or at least everything but the precursor.

Alas~

I have the Gift of Fortune that shit cost like 600g, also have the Gift of Mastery, all i need is the damn pre, my friend is one lucky mofo he spent less than 50g and got 2 precursors from the forge, down to 70g and cost like18g to make 40GS, gonna have play the PvE instead of WvW to make some loot..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Offseason Event #3.2 - Masters of ARAH Take Two - Saturday 4/26 at 2:00PM EDT

It's that time again! Arah 1 shall not defeat us this day. Saturday afternoon we head back in to the ruined city. This isn't a race, but a general all-welcome, let's get a tough-ass dungeon done together event. Here are some general tips:
  • Range, AOE damage, and reflection are very valuable throughout the whole dungeon.
  • The ability to stealth, grant swiftness to, or otherwise protect the party while moving is great, because there's a lot of opportunity (and near-necessity) for running past danger.
  • Potent or Powerful Potions of Undead Slaying are the drink of choice here.
  • A sub-boss that appear in every path, Giganticus Lupicus, is a true skill check. He has three phases, and I consider phase 2 of this fight to be one of the toughest, most demanding encounters in the game. It's not required at all, but if you're wary of your abilities, you may want to read up on his phases a little bit and how to prepare your build for the fight.
  • The storylines in play in the explorable paths here are a cut above those found in other dungeons. If at all interested in the lore of GW2 and especially various threads that connect back to GW1, it's worth paying attention to or at least reading the dialog from the cutscenes.
Hope to see you there!
2:00PM Eastern tomorrow anybody who wants arah

The pay is great in WvW, what're you talking about?

It's good but i can make more money doing world events and dungeon than I can in WvW, I can run CoF1/2 SE1/3 in an hour that's 5gold in an hour and with the new meta boss schedule i can get the easy low level ones out quickly, with a good group AC1/2/3 can be done in an hour, with a great group CoE 1, 2, 3, can be done in an hour also, making money in WvW depends the commander you are following, if you are following an aggressive commander you can make a nice loot, if you following a dipshit commander then you are wasting your time.

Katoki

It's good but i can make more money doing world events and dungeon than I can in WvW, I can run CoF1/2 SE1/3 in an hour that's 5gold in an hour and with the new meta boss schedule i can get the easy low level ones out quickly, with a good group AC1/2/3 can be done in an hour, with a great group CoE 1, 2, 3, can be done in an hour also, making money in WvW depends the commander you are following, if you are following an aggressive commander you can make a nice loot, if you following a dipshit commander then you are wasting your time.

I was kidding. I defend during our poor OCX/SEA coverage.

As a part of these changes, we will also implement new restrictions to WvW access after transferring worlds. These restrictions will go into effect on March 28. After that date, anyone who transfers worlds will be able to play only in the Edge of the Mists WvW map for the duration of their current and subsequent matchup. If you transfer worlds on a Tuesday, you won’t be able to enter the Borderlands or Eternal Battleground maps until the Friday of the following week. You will still be able to play in Edge of the Mists and progress the tournament meta achievement, but you will not be able to contribute to the score of your WvW matchup.

I blame Zeroth for encouraging me to transfer and making me think I'd get to play with GAF any time soon.

markot

Banned
The new schedule sucks.... if you can only play at a certain time for 2 hours or so a day, then.... you always get the same bosses >.<

Complistic

Breaking the game down into what's optimal pay and what isn't takes all the fun out of it. WvW is still a rewarding experience even if there are other avenues of the game that reward you a little better. If all you're playing the game for is to make the most gold the fastest, you better grab your case of mountain dew and your zerker gear and never leave COF ever.

I bailed on some gaffers in FOTM 10 last night at 3 AM. I can't actually recall if I was the one that started the fractal, so my apologies if you all got booted out.

Proven

Tournament of Legends in progress: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

I was planning on making a big post talking about the struggle to form this tournament, the discord in players it created both on and off the forums, the reasoning behind the few seeds for each tournament, the favorites the win, etc.

But then I get on the computer and find out that the tournament started an hour ago. I should have double checked time zones.

Currently in the Round of 16.

Oh yeah, and there will be a giveaway at some point for viewers to win a precursor.

Zeroth

Alas~

They've already stated to have plans to make precursors something you can work on. I think the PvP reward tracks were another step into that direction (giving non-PvE players ways to obtain the mats necessary for legendary weapons), so I assume we'll hear news about precursor rewards at some point this year.

Personally, I'm hoping they will also provide a precursor-for-precursor trading so I can get rid of my useless torch and get something good.

I blame Zeroth for encouraging me to transfer and making me think I'd get to play with GAF any time soon.

You would need to transfer sooner or later, so it was better doing so sooner.

Just had a CoE Path 3 run that made me ragequit halfway. And I was instance owner. Not only am I angry at the whole situation, but at myself for having ragequit when I was instance owner, since I hate when others do it. But I just couldn't take it. The others wanted to just keep doing the same stacking crap, over and over, that *kept getting everyone killed*. And each time we died, the same there kept saying "wtf guys stack" and "l2dodge" and so on. I haven't ragequit like that in a long time.

Here and now, I'm making a vow. I will not run with stacking pugs ever again.

Taffer

Normally I keep alts in greens and start noticing that veteran mobs are tougher when my gear's approaching 5 levels out of date. This time around I'm only buying whites from NPCs (to be cheap) and only noticing a drop in effectiveness at 10 levels out.
Either low-level mobs are easier or I'm getting awesome. Based on patch notes and the fact that I'm crap, low-level combat's much easier now. Save money, level with whites!

Retro

Had to quit for a bit. We lost Bay in our own BL to a HOD havoc squad because there's no more than 12 people on the map and no commanders. FA just swept in behind them to take it completely unopposed, which has been happening a lot but not quite enough to trigger my tinfoil hat reflex.

Plenty of commanders on the EB Karma train though, there's like 8 in TS. Meanwhile the Red BL channel has 3 people, counting me.

It's like SBI just doesn't want to win.

Hope Hawk, Callunah, Vilj, Zeroth and Bubbles were able to complete Arah path 1 after I left.

On another note. I will not be able to help out with Guild Missions tonight because I have a dinner to go to at 8pm, will not be back till much later. Good luck and have fun.

Zeroth

Last night I received an email saying I'm now in the Heroes of the Storm alpha. My GW2 playtime may go down.

I hate you. From the bottom of my heart :p

Hope Hawk, Callunah, Vilj, Zeroth and Bubbles were able to complete Arah path 1 after I left.

On another note. I will not be able to help out with Guild Missions tonight because I have a dinner to go to at 8pm, will not be back till much later. Good luck and have fun.

We did! Took about 3 hours after you left, but we did it. Killed Lupi in 2 attempts too!
Maybe a bit more but they weren't total swipes so they don't count.

Normally I keep alts in greens and start noticing that veteran mobs are tougher when my gear's approaching 5 levels out of date. This time around I'm only buying whites from NPCs (to be cheap) and only noticing a drop in effectiveness at 10 levels out.
Either low-level mobs are easier or I'm getting awesome. Based on patch notes and the fact that I'm crap, low-level combat's much easier now. Save money, level with whites!

Or just get champions bags!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yo tonight's the mishes. Hawkian you gonna be there bro? Come up from Dark Souls ocean bro
Just spent the afternoon in arah man... nap time now. I may be up but you can always start without me :D i'll get in and do the lottery at least, for sure.

edit: Yeah Taffer, Low level mobs were made weaker to compensate for the later acquisition of traits. Higher level characters are even more effective when downleveled for stuff, so like the dungeons really increase up in difficulty in order now when you're at 80.

Katoki

Had to quit for a bit. We lost Bay in our own BL to a HOD havoc squad because there's no more than 12 people on the map and no commanders. FA just swept in behind them to take it completely unopposed, which has been happening a lot but not quite enough to trigger my tinfoil hat reflex.

Plenty of commanders on the EB Karma train though, there's like 8 in TS. Meanwhile the Red BL channel has 3 people, counting me.

It's like SBI just doesn't want to win.

Normal. However if you're judging on commanders based on the blue pin we have in TS, I'd say that 3/4ths of them are more map anchors than they are commanders. Then there're the ones I don't recognize at all meaning that it's likely no one follows to begin with. If it means anything, there was and still is no queue so far for EB. There's not much we can do about this match up because both still have massive numbers and you can still get stuff done by throwing too many bodies at something.

Edit: There's something about the borderlands that makes it incredibly unappealing to many players. Higher tier servers have people that do it because they're assigned or it's mandatory whereas with us and likely all the lower ranked servers, it's the same story.

Just had a CoE Path 3 run that made me ragequit halfway. And I was instance owner. Not only am I angry at the whole situation, but at myself for having ragequit when I was instance owner, since I hate when others do it. But I just couldn't take it. The others wanted to just keep doing the same stacking crap, over and over, that *kept getting everyone killed*. And each time we died, the same there kept saying "wtf guys stack" and "l2dodge" and so on. I haven't ragequit like that in a long time.

To be honest, it is the most optimal way to run dungeons though.

To be honest, it is the most optimal way to run dungeons though.

I actually disagree with that. It's the most "farming" and "speed" way to do it, but optimal, is open to interpretation. It's optimal when it works, but that's in a vacume. I've seen stack groups fail far more at simple encounters than people who play normally, anecdotal true, but often it feels like designed encounters, especially bosses, can be done faster and more efficiently when people aren't trying to stack, aoe spam, and then mash F to res the peopel who got insta-killed because you can't see shit in the mess that is a stack. CoE P3 is a good example. "Dodge when you see the blue circle under you", they say - meanwhile, "you" is a giant blob of geometry where the other people's models clip over the blue circle - so wtf.

I get that in theory stacking, combined with LoS, can be "efficient" if your goal is to cheese through content to reach the candy at the end. But optimal? I think that's overselling it. I think stacking creates bad habits, and sets bad precedent. I really wish Anet could do something about it, but I'm at a loss for what could be done, mechanically, to fix the issue.

FfeBfDT.jpg

Sorry I couldn't stay for Rush and Puzzle, had something come up.

L67vt2e.jpg

The bits I was there for, megaserver issues aside, was awesome.

4oTtCl6.jpg

Lump frightens me.

64ATN9j.jpg

dat underwater combat yo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for eveyrbody's patience while we get through the quirks of megaservering. Puzzle makeup tomorrow at 3pm! ;)

Grats to coriolanus on the 10g, and Realmeat on the jackpot of 135!

Mxrz

Bad pugs are bad no matter what they do. But proper Zerk groups can stack and down bosses/groups in seconds. There really isn't anything that compares to it.

Bad pugs is just bad pugs, this is why unless i have no other choice i don't start the dungeon, if i know i am in a shitty group i bail, I usually don't have many crappy dungeon groups, but Fractals is another story that place is the king of garbage groups, the worst is when you see Agony gank some fucker who doesn't have enough AR yet he joined a level 35 run, i gave up on Fractals because of how bad some players are yet they made it to level 30..

Bad pugs is just bad pugs

I consider stacking pugs, bad pugs, irrespective of how good they are at minmaxing their dps to cheese down bosses. I consider that style of play "bad form", unfun, and only a few steps away from grinding for the sake of grinding. Obviously this is just my opinion, and people are free to play how they want. I just don't want to play with those kinds of people anymore. I've been with pugs that downed bosses in seconds, full zerg, 5k AP only, etc - and you know what? It's just not fun. It puts all the emphasis on the shiny loot at the end, and removes all *gameplay* from the equation. If I wanted that, I'd play other MMOs that focus on that kind of gameplay on purpose.

The most fun I've had? Clearing a dungeon normally with friends and GAF members. Yes it takes longer. But some things are worth doing slower.

Anyone can cheese through content. I saw enough of it in WoW, people could basically write bots to do raids for them (and some did). But to see a group do content right, and deal with the evolving situations as they happen? That's more interesting.

Mind you our guild is guilty of cheesing dungeons as well especially for those who've ran it dozens of times. I still remember the 2-in-1 and 3-in-1 exploits in CoE and HotW. The difference is we don't *force* players to do something if it's not in their comfort zone. None of this bullshit zerker warriors only or ping gear nonsense (and IIRC, Retro or some other admin said they'll kick people if they try that in our guild). When I dungeons with GAF, the group usually asks if everyone is experienced with it and if not, we change the pace to accommodate and help out the newbie(s).

I consider stacking pugs, bad pugs, irrespective of how good they are at minmaxing their dps to cheese down bosses. I consider that style of play "bad form", unfun, and only a few steps away from grinding for the sake of grinding. Obviously this is just my opinion, and people are free to play how they want. I just don't want to play with those kinds of people anymore. I've been with pugs that downed bosses in seconds, full zerg, 5k AP only, etc - and you know what? It's just not fun. It puts all the emphasis on the shiny loot at the end, and removes all *gameplay* from the equation. If I wanted that, I'd play other MMOs that focus on that kind of gameplay on purpose.

The most fun I've had? Clearing a dungeon normally with friends and GAF members. Yes it takes longer. But some things are worth doing slower.

Anyone can cheese through content. I saw enough of it in WoW, people could basically write bots to do raids for them (and some did). But to see a group do content right, and deal with the evolving situations as they happen? That's more interesting.

The first few times through any dungeon I take my time, I hate to speed runs, but once I am used to it, I am only in there for the loot now, I have seen all i can from the developer's programming, why waste my time when I can be doing something else in the game, just my philosophy when it comes to dungeons..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom