• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*throws hands up in the air* I, uh, Dark Souls 2

Though I may be interested in a dungeon or two tonight when/if I surface for air

Mxrz

I wanted to level up a new character under the new trait system, but these seem really out of place with the level you can first access them. They ever go into detail with that the aim was?

Anno

So, fellow guardians, what are you running in WvW currently?

I'm running this as my sort of yolo, unorganized zerg build. Switch out RF for books if you're in a larger group. I feel really tanky and powerful at the same time. Some pros and cons:

Pros:
-High health as guardians go - 21,400 just with food and ~24,000 with max fortitude stacks
-Good damage; 2300 power without any buffs; 2700 with max stacks. ~4k GS crit auto attacks on squishies with some might stacks...
-...which leads to the build being absurdly good at building and maintaining might. Empower and swap when you can and get in plenty of swings for an easy 15-20 might stacks virtually as long as the fight lasts
-High passive condition removal with purity, signet and -condi duration
-JI is great both for escaping and for initiating on groups up to 5-6. Shout before you jump in with BB already spinning and it's an easy way to break a small group of defenders for just long enough to allow your friends to advance

Cons:
-No burst condi or AoE removal. You can still support decently otherwise, but no PoV or Trooper runes
-Longer cooldowns on your mobility skills with no 2H mastery and -med cooldowns
-Low +boon duration outside of might so no perma-swiftness
-Low crit % without some fury buffs from others

Curious what everyone else thinks.

I was wondering if I could get an invite as well. I've been lurking and playing on Stormbluff for a while now. Finally decided to play my mesmer til 80.

Iggy.2741

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still no news for the next content huh

Not actually sure if this gets you to 25 but you can start dragon's tooth before activating Ring of Fire to have more time on the field, and add in the Earth dodge with Evasive Arcana before Churning Earth.
It'd be Dragon Tooth before Ring of Fire, then Phoenix, Arcane Wave, and switch to earth to dodge roll with Evasive Arcana for another blast.

Will try this out then.

Fafnir

I'm running this as my sort of yolo, unorganized zerg build. Switch out RF for books if you're in a larger group. I feel really tanky and powerful at the same time. Some pros and cons:

Pros:
-High health as guardians go - 21,400 just with food and ~24,000 with max fortitude stacks
-Good damage; 2300 power without any buffs; 2700 with max stacks. ~4k GS crit auto attacks on squishies with some might stacks...
-...which leads to the build being absurdly good at building and maintaining might. Empower and swap when you can and get in plenty of swings for an easy 15-20 might stacks virtually as long as the fight lasts
-JI is great both for escaping and for initiating on groups up to 5-6. Shout before you jump in with BB already spinning and it's an easy way to break a small group of defenders for just long enough to allow your friends to advance

Cons:
-No burst condi or AoE removal. You can still support decently otherwise, but no PoV or Trooper runes

I use to run something similar 0/3/6/4/1. I changed the weapon/sigils but left your armor/runes/trinkets the same.

Instead of the extra Vit, I traded it for more blinding, burning, and vulnerability. Biggest weakness is condi removal but that doesn't matter too much if your running with the zerg.

*throws hands up in the air* I, uh, Dark Souls 2

Though I may be interested in a dungeon or two tonight when/if I surface for air

Seriously, between Dark Souls 2 and Child of Light, the end of April ended up being jam packed. My current routine is DS2, get to boss, die at boss repeatedly, get frustrated, play GW2, and then return to DS2 and beat said boss on first try.

Katoki

Got home and figured I'd "watch" a stream while doing some work so I opened one up with many viewers and realized the person streaming has the game installed on a regular hard drive.

This may be interesting to watch when I have downtime tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, as they're going to be synched up with any future updates. The question is how they're going to explain past events.

Damn, so they're basically starting out GW2 with a busted Lion's Arch?

Seil

Damn, so they're basically starting out GW2 with a busted Lion's Arch?

Well, even here if a new player comes in, they have a destroyed Lion's Arch but their personal story doesn't reflect that. So, though it's really strange, I don't think they care very much lol.

That said, there are better hubs than Lion's Arch anyway as far as functionality goes and for people that haven't experienced the bustling Lion's Arch, it doesn't really matter I'd think.

Trey

Seriously, between Dark Souls 2 and Child of Light, the end of April ended up being jam packed. My current routine is DS2, get to boss, die at boss repeatedly, get frustrated, play GW2, and then return to DS2 and beat said boss on first try.

Empirical evidence that GW2 makes people better at video games.

Things and stuff.

I've always been keen on maces as a... general concept but not really come up with a build that lasted for either my guardians or my warriors. I got the bug again a couple of weeks ago to try and build a DPS mace warrior and so started my third warrior.

But then I got impatient.

Poking about on the Internetwebs I found out that there "used"(?) to be a bunker mace+mace/axe+shield warrior SPvP build (with Cleric's) but that got nerfed out of existence (or so YouTube comments said) a couple of balance patches ago when traits were moved about.

Undeterred, I decided to try and make it work in the newest set of traits and level my second warrior (then 65) through EoTM (took two evening's play) to 80 and switch to this build.

Based on the version of the build described here under the old talent system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31It6XMY_sg (gameplay here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QD9KX0NT4o )

In the end, I came up with this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fJEQRA...4EA84hAo4IAQV5BClgzU/BgJuS7PQS/QAAEAu5PvZAA-w

Basically, you lose empowered (which the guy in the video basically took because there wasn't anything good at that tier) and gain Dogged March.

One other thing to note is that I actually have a Cleric's exotic backpiece rather than Magi's because I had an exotic spinal blades sitting in the bank that I hadn't used and the build editor doesn't let you select that!

The build itself is pretty damn awesome. In zerg I'm fairly unkillable, aided by the 3 second block on shield 5 (run into the enemy with it active and then switch to maces and flail about). About the only things I find annoying about it is a lack of ranged (well of course) and a lack of on demand swiftness. In a fight though, I can move around with the axe burst (oh, my record for that is 7-8K damage on a champ) and the shield leap. I'm loving this build a whole lot!

I also AoE heal, a lot. Some of it is automatic (for example, when a condition is applied to me I autocast shake it off which is a shout which triggers the shouts heal, so not only do I heal myself for 2.5Kish, I heal people around me).

It's great for zergy wvw/eotm combat. I find it a lot more fun than my RRR based bunker ranger. Give it a shot if you are a bored warrior!

I also took it into SPvP for a bit to engage into my first SPvP matches for well over a year. It was fun not dying instantly like I used to at launch when I knew nothing. On the other hand, I still very quickly got bored with the SPvP matches which is a shame. I just feel that 5v5 doesn't interest me very much. I dunno. I really want it to, I just get bored with the tiny maps and the lack of variety in opponents thoughout a match.

Unrelated, but have you all seen this awesome Masquerade set cosplay? http://enayla.tumblr.com/post/52677611239/another-full-body-shot-of-my-guild-wars-2

Moondrop

Banned
I've always been keen on maces as a... general concept but not really come up with a build that lasted for either my guardians or my warriors.

Give Mace/Shield + Hammer a try. Mace/Shield become your defensive swap set, with two blocks, three interrupts, and bonus toughness. Hammer is an unparalleled offensive weapon set in WvW given the plenitude of CC and the ability to blast fields, as exemplified by the mighty Earthshaker. Axe doesn't make much sense with Cleric stats.

Taffer

Empirical evidence that GW2 makes people better at video games.

I haven't run any dungeons for a while before this week. Got some dungeons (even a fractal run out of pity) done and then went and killed the Capra demon in Dark Souls The First after not playing that for ages.
Coincidence?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was wondering if I could get an invite as well. I've been lurking and playing on Stormbluff for a while now. Finally decided to play my mesmer til 80.

Iggy.2741
Welcome to the guild! Thanks for getting Iggy in, whichever officer that was.
Haha I quite know how this goes. Course I was plugging away at the wrong boss quite a few times before finally getting on track and making real progress last night.

They also really made the co-op seamless and enjoyable in this one... it's both improving my skill dramatically and slowing my progress as I find it so much fun to hang around and help others.
I haven't run any dungeons for a while before this week. Got some dungeons (even a fractal run out of pity) done and then went and killed the Capra demon in Dark Souls The First after not playing that for ages.
Coincidence?
I think not!

...damn I hated the Capra Demon.

Zeroth

Capra Demon is easy pie, though I've spend far more time on Gaping Dragon than any other Souls boss (and in all cases death came from losing the endurance test against it, rather than being outskilled), and I'm preeetty sure that one is not considered a hard boss.

Shiokazu

i think i'll miss it

YOhXuzT.jpg

i cant see my alignments... so i dont know how much each of these stats i have. did they removed it?

TrounceX

Pros:

Cons:

Oh this reminded me.

If you put a stacking sigil on your underwater weapon, then you can swap out your mainhand stacking weapon and still retain the stacks you've built up.

Maybe this is common knowledge but I didn't realize this until a couple of days ago. Been out of the loop a bit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you haven't logged in since early last year there is almost no chance you're still in it :p But maybe you got lucky!

Post your character or account name for an invite back if you need it. Guild missions and prize drawings are every Saturday at 9:00PM eastern, with makeup missions the following Sunday at 3:00.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
These direct sales, man, yeesh. It is outright laughable (the good kind) what you'd get for $25 if you just made the purchase blind today.

Mxrz

Really need a "Only allow whispers from friends, guild mates, party, and people with x achievement points" option.

Yesterday went pretty well. We did the new Tequatl which was indeed harder than I remember (more to do than just standing in one spot until he died). Thanks to Zeroth for the invite.

At this point I'm wondering if I should spend some time on getting my Thief up to par since I can't come up with any decent builds for my Ranger.

I really like that you don't need to head back to a city and pay to have your traits refunded, which means you can experiment as much as you want and on the fly.

I'm also looking towards things other than just getting cool armor. At first I tried to focus on doing so only to get bummed out when I noticed that there are hardly any groups in the Group Finder to do dungeons in the first place. It's probably better for my interest in the game to focus on other things like that.

Like making money maybe. That's one thing I never got the hang of in this game (or any MMO for that matter). What do you need to do exactly to make a decent amount of cash in this game? I have Leatherworking at 411 (or something like that) so if anyone knows of some cheap ingredients I can buy to then produce something that sells for a profit than that would be great (I assume that's the way to make money off of crafting?).

Like making money maybe. That's one thing I never got the hang of in this game (or any MMO for that matter). What do you need to do exactly to make a decent amount of cash in this game? I have Leatherworking at 411 (or something like that) so if anyone knows of some cheap ingredients I can buy to then produce something that sells for a profit than that would be great (I assume that's the way to make money off of crafting?).
Probably the most common way to make fast gold is run lots of dungeons:
CoF1 and 2
AC 1, 2, 3
TA up and ff
SE 1 and 3
HoTW 1

For example, I have no trouble finding PUG groups for CoF1, AC1&3, SE1 and TA up paths, which I have ran twice in the past week. 5 dungeons in 90 minutes, 8-9 gold. But try to run with guildies, as a PUG with an attitude can really put a damper on a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom