• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

Re: Portal

Seems like a limited scope item, but not everything added has to be of supreme significance. Just a fun little quirky item (at least my impression from what has been shared)

I guess we'll see what ANet considers "considerable resources to manufacture" to be. Ectos galore, more than likely.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
More info on the portal consumable.

I'm not really sure what the point of this is.
Absolutely no clue. I know firsthand how easy it can be to screw up a portal in an unfamiliar situation, and even if you get it off perfectly sometimes somebody just misses it. It's the kind of skill that relies of being able to be repeated as needed.
Re: Portal

Seems like a limited scope item, but not everything added has to be of supreme significance. Just a fun little quirky item (at least my impression from what has been shared)
The teleportation gun? I mean, what on earth could make this worth what is apparently a very difficult/expensive recipe to acquire, plus a high mat cost?

Lunar15

Absolutely no clue. I know firsthand how easy it can be to screw up a portal in an unfamiliar situation, and even if you get it off perfectly sometimes somebody just misses it. It's the kind of skill that relies of being able to be repeated as needed.

The teleportation gun? I mean, what on earth could make this worth what is apparently a very difficult/expensive recipe to acquire, plus a high mat cost?

The ability to do that one jumping puzzle you can't do with out having a mesmer?

And since it shoots (or at least sounds like it does), it's probably a remote portal, as in I could shoot the exit far away (like to the end of a jumping puzzle). If that's the case, then yes, this needs to be really difficult to create, because it breaks jumping puzzles.

It's essentially a jumping puzzle "free pass".

imBask

Banned
I just got back into the game lately and i'm grinding my guardian in WvW, but it's a bit lonely just following random zerg around

i'm on blackgate, any recommendation? any NeoGaf guild somewhere?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The ability to do that one jumping puzzle you can't do with out having a mesmer?
The ability to get ONE free do-over during a jumping puzzle. You can't continually repeat portaling and trying tough sections.

And since it shoots (or at least sounds like it does), it's probably a remote portal, as in I could shoot the exit far away (like to the end of a jumping puzzle). If that's the case, then yes, this needs to be really difficult to create, because it breaks jumping puzzles.

It's essentially a jumping puzzle "free pass".
Where did you get any of that :p
I just got back into the game lately and i'm grinding my guardian in WvW, but it's a bit lonely just following random zerg around

Hah yep, we're on Stormbluff Isle. You can guest until/if you can't afford the transfer. Post your account or character name here for an invite.

Trey

The NeoGAF guild is on Stormbluff Isle.

With WvW, I suggest you try to get into a party so you can get familiar with people, the commanders, etc. The more personal the game is made, the better it gets.

Levyne

Banned
It says "one time use", but have we seen anything involving duration? Maybe it lasts an hour. Maybe it has zone wide range.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

If the new portal had no restriction to distance, it would be worth it for porting Guildies during Guild Puzzles.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It says "one time use", but have we seen anything involving duration? Maybe it lasts an hour. Maybe it has zone wide range.
Maybe it's a permanent link O.O

edit: My original "absolutely no idea" was contingent on "similar to the Mesmer's portal" meaning subject to the same limitations. If it's better, then yeah, we'll see all kinds of stuff.

Trey

There would have to be a loading screen. I can't imagine that Anet would want to deal with that kind of stuff. That would also invalidate a lot of puzzle designs.

Levyne

Banned
I was kind of going to the extreme on those examples...but it has to be powerful in some fashion if it's so expensive yet one time use.

ReconPeon

teehee pouncy paws

I too cannot tolerate the time cost of using the MF for greens.

Soon though it'll be a SALVAGE ALL THE GREENS-type dealy for the account MF boosters :)

Yep haha only my other character, Charles Duke of Fun, rivals the awesomeness that is Pouncy Paws.

LkPr

Maybe it's a portal you can use to easily get back somewhere... so you can like mark lets say somewhere around the Bank in LA as your return point and then go out hunting. This mark lasts for lets say an hour so you can easily get back to that marked location one time during that hour without using WPs.

I'm still disappointed that it is not a portal to your home instance :( With all the new things they are introducing that I am assuming will be in the home instance only I wish we had an easier way of getting there.

ReconPeon

Maybe it's a portal you can use to easily get back somewhere... so you can like mark lets say somewhere around the Bank in LA as your return point and then go out hunting. This mark lasts for lets say an hour so you can easily get back to that marked location one time during that hour without using WPs.

I'm still disappointed that it is not a portal to your home instance :( With all the new things they are introducing that I am assuming will be in the home instance only I wish we had an easier way of getting there.

That wouldn't work, its not like way points are inconvenient.

imBask

Banned
The NeoGAF guild is on Stormbluff Isle.

With WvW, I suggest you try to get into a party so you can get familiar with people, the commanders, etc. The more personal the game is made, the better it gets.

how's the population on Stormbluff Isle? What really keeps me into this MMO is the fact that our WvW is never empty, you can always tag along a 100 person zerg at pretty much any time... So i'm a bit scared to change world since i'm apparently on the most populated one

i'm the anti-hipster of MMOs, I want to play the most played one that isn't WoW

Trey

how's the population on Stormbluff Isle? What really keeps me into this MMO is the fact that our WvW is never empty, you can always tag along a 100 person zerg at pretty much any time... So i'm a bit scared to change world since i'm apparently on the most populated one

We're a mid tier server, so it's good and usually competitive. We don't have a queue every night, but it's populated. I'm sure others who are more involved in WvW can tell you more.

Retro

The portal is obviously so you can send 6 guys out to find a bounty and then create portals to jump the zerg between them. (no, not really).

jersoc

Send me a picture of your dyes. I wouldn't mind making 3 sets or so for you. (Note: if you do, send it organized by hue)

I just like doing it, even if it's not for me.

As a side note, the armor has 21 slots for dyes, which is crazy. You can customize a lot of the detail.

cool, thanks

8ExbKGc.jpg

anBNRvc.jpg

Katoki

i'm the anti-hipster of MMOs, I want to play the most played one that isn't WoW

From what I gather, we seem to excel at T5, will probably stomp everything after that, and are currently getting run over this week at T4 against Crystal Desert and Ehmry Bay. We just don't have the numbers to defend that coverage but we are listed as one of the "most destructive" servers on the GW2 rankings on the main site somewhere because we like flipping stuff and running off. From what I'm hearing, we used to make short work of Crystal Desert prior to the new match up system when it was the dreaded same match up for a few weeks? But since then they seem to have gained a few guilds for coverage and what not and have been seen working with Ehmry Bay on multiple occasions this week where they will not attack each other and will run away together hand-in-hand proximity.

Our server seems to joke around about having a heavy presence in the Eternal Battlegrounds because we like killing stuff. This is probably why we have a harder time in higher tiers with our lack of population coverage and that higher tier servers understand that each week is won in the borderlands, not the battlegrounds. Additionally, our commanders constantly complain in Team Speak about being unable to tame our zergs (because they won't listen, the commander will hit chat cap and get denied, so then the "casual-not-on-team-speak" zerg will destroy 10+ golems under heavy fire and then blame them for being a shitty commander). But other than that, during "prime time" we'll watch them run off like skritt lemmings chasing a shiny... transitioning to red downed icons to blue death icons and then go "I told you so" in chat when the commander constantly repeats "Stay on tag/On tag."

Basically, if you're European, you're in for long nights playing in the afternoons - evening until it gets passed over to the North American groups. If you're somewhere on the east coast of North America, you'll probably be yearning for the bed by the time things start going south at night (at least in this week's match).

Let me know if you want to know any specifics.

Levyne

Banned
Basically we (seem to) have no presence in the other borderlands outside of the weekend. or it requires the eb commander to take the zerg there.

Katoki

The thing is that we don't really need it/can shift our Eternal Battlegrounds zerg over in lower tiers to help our borderlands and take over other borderlands in lower tiers. In a proper match up where all sides are netting about the same amount of PPT, we'll have that issue.

But yeah, we have this influx of "weekend warriors" because we were pushing T4 pretty hard during the weekend but at some point in time during Monday or Tuesday, EB and CD formed a truce.

Levyne

Banned
Eh. Maybe I'm not around enough but I still think the idea of full-server "truces" is just paranoia, an excuse to explain losing and push it off on something we can't control. Still see eb groups pounding on cd towers and via versa etc all the time.

Forming a Truce is basically CD's S.O.P. when they fight us because their man-to-man tactics are poor. Our Borderland coverage didn't used to be as bad as it is now but Bannok's refusal to use TS and success in zerg fights conditioned our general populace into refusing to do anything more than blindly follow a Tag and only use /T

Kind of sad really.

Edit: It happens way too often when facing CD to be a coincidence or paranoid reasoning. If you watch the map during SBI Primetime, when we're at our peak of strength, you'll see that CD and whatever other server they've worked with leave each other alone and focus on pounding on our towers instead. There are a few smaller groups that will attack each other on borderlands and trade camps but largely the main forces will avoid each other and focus on us.

Katoki

Bannok is in TS now. I remember the very first State of the Server meeting I listened in on where they talked to him about it and he said he'd work on that. He's on there when he's online now, even when he's not tagged. I know this because I'm in there when I'm in queue or just doing PvE, guild missions, etc.

Eh. Maybe I'm not around enough but I still think the idea of full-server "truces" is just paranoia, an excuse to explain losing and push it off on something we can't control. Still see eb groups pounding on cd towers and via versa etc all the time.

We've actually observed them running away from us at the same time. While it's probably not a full-server truce, I can say the major forces on both sides will do this if caught together. I guess it's BECAUSE we're so "destructive;" we also do a lot of open field fighting as well which is why it's like this. It's not paranoia when you constantly see them retreating together like this. I guess it makes us sad because we like collecting bags, we really do.

Bannok is in TS now. I remember the very first State of the Server meeting I listened in on where they talked to him about it and he said he'd work on that. He's on there when he's online now, even when he's not tagged.

That's great but I can't help but to feel like the damage is already done. The past few times I've been on TS we've had less and less recognizable names and I've seen more and more new commanders on the map while not being on TS. Maybe some people are just taking a break though.

Katoki

They did say that even after the exodus and where they upped the population cap for all servers or something that the servers were constantly "very high" so it could also be newer players.

I could just be optimistic here though. We have what we have.

Levyne

Banned
I just feel there's a lot of things that can be faux-explained by a truce-excuse. Maybe they attack our towers because they want to down the point leader in EB at the time. Maybe they run away because otherwise they know they'll both be wiped.

Moondrop

Banned
In my experience, across SBI and JQ, tag-teaming is real but a "truce" is perception. If the two teams leading in PPT are in a virtual stalemate, it's often easier for both to target the third and gobble up as much as possible while they're weak.

Katoki

I'm not speaking about the tower taking part. I'm saying if we show up in full force with our "combat" zerg, they'll both turn tail and run without touching each other.

Were they at each other prior to that, I can't really say. However if both forces can make it across a choke point without touching each other, I'd say that's something.

In my experience, across SBI and JQ, tag-teaming is real but a "truce" is perception. If the two teams leading in PPT are in a virtual stalemate, it's often easier for both to target the third and gobble up as much as possible while they're weak.

This is true, however where CD is concerned, SBI has been teamed up on regardless of our position. 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. It's worth noting we've fought CD so many times now that there's definitely a "personal" rivalry there.

Ashodin

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

What the fuck is this bullshit? Aspect Arena my ass. What the fuck are we doing? Getting crystals? Who's on what team? What the fuck is going on? Why does Wind feel so cheap and knock me off?

Then...

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

SUN ASPECT IS OP

Proven

I'm not speaking about the tower taking part. I'm saying if we show up in full force with our "combat" zerg, they'll both turn tail and run without touching each other.

Were they at each other prior to that, I can't really say. However if both forces can make it across a choke point without touching each other, I'd say that's something.
Well, if you're good at open ground fights, and attacking anything slows you down, then that makes sense. They're afraid enough to tunnel vision on running away. Once you're not nearby to crush both groups at once, then they'll start hitting each other again.

It just sounds like you're complaining about them not staying to fight you.

Levyne

Banned
Oh we are very good at open ground fights :)

(Usually)

((at least relatively to our level of success in other area in wvw))

Katoki

It just sounds like you're complaining about them not staying to fight you.

Yeah, I did mention that somewhere farther up.

There are smaller instances where they'll run havoc together though, according to our "scouts" running around solo and getting caught for not being a very good "scout." I don't know though because I figure it would cancel a camp cap out unless the smaller group (or single person) steps out until the "main" group caps the camp.

Coming from the initial question that kinda evolved into this; our server is definitely not for people who like winning or knowing they won't be outmanned to the point where it's futile. The only benefit we get at night is not having to pay to repair after all our deaths trying to hold onto our paper towers (such as last night).

Oh we are very good at open ground fights :)

(Usually)

((at least relatively to our level of success in other area in wvw))

Reminds me of the days where..

. o O ( Hi! )

was used for thought bubbles or out of context or non-RP related text or something like that.

I role played that mech pilot hard when I was younger.

Levyne

Banned
Re: [Free Repair at night]

Until the moment you die apparently :p

Re: Bubble speech:

Man, I remember some rp board I goofed off in during middle school (oh middle school..), it was some rp board that had some sort of text identifyer for in you were in character or "meta talking" I think was the term if not. Your in character posts could be upvoted if you were a reasonable rper (and not "god-moding!") and based on that you'd get currency to swag out an avatar that was supposed to be representative of your rp persona.

It was juvenile and silly but awesome at the age and time. I can't remember the site at all...

Retro

((This used to be Out-of-Character (OOC) chat when I RP'd in the Red Dragon Inn chatrooms on AOL in the early 90s.))

Funny story: my Elementalist is named after someone I used to RP with in there, but lost track of as I got more into gaming. Later, when I was playing World of Warcraft (~10 years later?), I saw someone emote /bow at the same name, and it turned out to be them. We'd someone both rolled the same faction on the same server and happened to be in the same city at the same time.

Lunar15

cool, thanks

8ExbKGc.jpg

anBNRvc.jpg

Could you take a picture of your character wearing the preview armor?

Oh, and let me know like, your 3 favorite colors or favorite scenery or something (like forest, beach, city, etc,) Much easier when I have a place to start from.

Moondrop

Banned
Running from open field combat is a separate, but very real phenomenon. We would often see zergs turn tail when a horde of [SF] appeared on the horizon. Cowardly as it may seem, they've learned from experience ;).

And I'm not discounting that some guilds do focus on one server exclusively; I've been known to do that myself. I'm just saying that what seems like collusion is generally a legitimate PPT strategy.

((This used to be Out-of-Character (OOC) chat when I RP'd in the Red Dragon Inn chatrooms on AOL in the early 90s.))

Funny story: my Elementalist is named after someone I used to RP with in there, but lost track of as I got more into gaming. Later, when I was playing World of Warcraft (~10 years later?), I saw someone emote /bow at the same name, and it turned out to be them. We'd someone both rolled the same faction on the same server and happened to be in the same city at the same time.

Talking about Meg?

Retro

Talking about Meg?

Nah Meg and I didn't meet until 1998, this was a few years earlier, like 1996?I played a lot of games growing up, but I didn't really become a "gamer", hanging out on message boards and really getting into it until Final Fantasy 7 came out. That's about when we met.

Ashodin

Nah Meg and I didn't meet until 1998, this was a few years earlier, like 1996?I played a lot of games growing up, but I didn't really become a "gamer", hanging out on message boards and really getting into it until Final Fantasy 7 came out. That's about when we met.

Then it was love at first RNG.

TrounceX

Running from open field combat is a separate, but very real phenomenon. We would often see zergs turn tail when a horde of [SF] appeared on the horizon.

Oh god, I want to run from [SF] as well lol. They hit like a fucking freight train.

And I'm not discounting that some guilds do focus on one server exclusively; I've been known to do that myself. I'm just saying that what seems like collusion is generally a legitimate PPT strategy.

Most of the time yep. Idk about what's going on down there in SBI though. There is definitely some bad blood between CD and SBI after that 10 week long matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom