• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll keep my quaggan for now, football season will be upon us soon!

I'll have to join GAF WvW nights more. It is much more fun running around with familiar faces.

Katoki

I don't like running with the guild. I leave people for dead because survival is higher on the list of priorities and I only feel slightly guilty afterwards. Slightly.

jersoc

Could you take a picture of your character wearing the preview armor?

Oh, and let me know like, your 3 favorite colors or favorite scenery or something (like forest, beach, city, etc,) Much easier when I have a place to start from.

mPRGkGH.jpg

anything dark blue, purple'ish. for scenery i guess forests/mountains.

thanks again!

cdkee

Banned
Hey guys I have a question. Is the last personal story mission supposed to be done in a group? I'm getting destroyed lol.

jersoc

The fuck jersoc...I demand you stop using my dye colors!

i said i was bad with dyes :(

that actually took me like 45 mins to come up with :|
i use to be be purple, but it was basically solid. then i decided to go with something more dirty armor looking.

i'm bad and i feel bad.

edit:anet if you're reading this thread. let us save our dye sets for later use so we can switch between many of them easily enough. unless this is in and im dumb and never saw it.

Any guardians here?

I'm thinking of a build here. An offensive tank, I would call it.

I'm thinking Sword + Shield (I know the tourch/focus) is better for lots of things, but dammit, I like me sword'n broad.

But what do I combine with it? I'm thinking Scepter + Torch. For that ranged damage. I feel the staff is strange.

To that comes the choice of consecration, shouts, or something else. I can't do a trait line that really gets the most of it.

I'm thinking

30 (at 20 the 5% sword damage, 30 because, at 30 i can get the 15% critical with one handed weapons)
20(getting that thougness for the shield)
?
?

but then it gets difficult. Because I cant both improve scepter. so I don't know. What if I forgot scepter and ran with a GS or Hammer. not really stoppers but they both have good AOE. I just think I will be blind at range. Perhaps that can not avoided?

Im new to guardian. I know so much about Warriors yet closer to nothing when it comes to the fancy cousin, the Guardian. Symbols, the tomes. I never see anyone run around with tomes.. Are they cool? What about the arcane weapons?

TL;DR - I want the sword + shield, but I can't make a really good build for that. halp!!

Sophia

Any guardians here?

I'm thinking Sword + Shield (I know the tourch/focus) is better for lots of things, but dammit, I like me sword'n broad.

But what do I combine with it? I'm thinking Scepter + Torch. For that ranged damage. I feel the staff is strange.

To that comes the choice of consecration, shouts, or something else. I can't do a trait line that really gets the most of it.

I'm thinking

30 (at 20 the 5% sword damage, 30 because, at 30 i can get the 15% critical with one handed weapons)
?
?

but then it gets difficult. Because I cant both improve scepter. so I don't know. What if I forgot scepter and ran with a GS or Hammer. not really stoppers but they both have good AOE. I just think I will be blind at range. Perhaps that can not avoided?

Just FYI, the shield is pretty weak as far as Guardian weapons go in PvE. Shield of Judgement is good, but Shield of Absorption is rather situational. If you want to go with it, I'd say pair it up with the Scepter and Focus. This way Right Hand Strength will benefit both weapons. Honestly tho, Guardians have some of the best weapon skills in the entire game, so anything would really work. Hammer won't benefit from Right Hand Strength, but it's great crowd control. Torch adds additional burning skills too, and they're AoE!

For support skills, the Stand Your Ground shout is a logical choice for any tank build. From there on some ideal choices could be Hold the Line (additional defense), Sanctuary (life saver shield that can be used for saving a party from death), the Signet of Judgement (my choice, as it reduces incoming all damage by 10%), Retreat (additional Aigis/Swiftness) or Bane Signet (Increased power)

As for traits. You're already going for Right-Hand Strength. If you're going Scepter + Torch, then Radiant Fire (Valor Tier 2) is a good choice. The other trait I'd recommend is Retributive Armor. It makes a portion of toughness becomes precision, which is essential for an offensive tank build.

Something like this is what I'd personally go for it.

Im new to guardian. I know so much about Warriors yet closer to nothing when it comes to the fancy cousin, the Guardian. Symbols, the tomes. I never see anyone run around with tomes.. Are they cool? What about the arcane weapons?

The Tome of Wrath is kind of hit and miss. It is exceptional damage (409 base damage for all of its abilities, plus it burns for 700 every time) and decent support, more so when pared up with the boon-removing Searing Flames trait in Radiance line. Yet its duration is short, it's cooldown long, and it's lone crowd control ability is situational. Put simply; It won't save a failing group with it's damage, but it can be that extra oomph if you need to win an encounter right then and there.

The Tome of Courage on the other hand is a really good healing elite in group situations. It can easily turn around an encounter, be it PvP or PvE. That said, it's duration is short and it's cooldown long just like the Tome of Wrath. Light of Deliverance (full heal) is also pretty difficult to get off in a PvP situation. Seeing as you're going for an offensive tank, you may have difficulty pulling it off in a PvE situation as well.

Renewed Focus is usually the go-to Elite skill for Guardians, from what I've seen. Most builds recommend that for PvP and I've seen a lot of PvE builds use it too. It's what I run right now personally. That said, if you take either of the Tome abilities, then I recommend grabbing Elite Focus (Trait VII, tier 2) from the Virtues trait line. About the only way to minimize the drawbacks from their long cooldown and short duration.

As for the Arcane Weapons... I've used the sword and hammer. The sword's damage is pretty average (521 base damage, which means it hits about as hard as the Hammer's first auto attack ability) with a decent swing speed of 2.5 seconds. Nothing exceptional, but it can add damage. It's Command ability does good AoE damage (1000+) to everything near its target. The hammer attacks on a three-hit chain every six seconds, applying Knockback with the last hit. You can also destroy it to manually cause Knockback. It's decent CC.

Just FYI, the shield is pretty weak as far as Guardian weapons go in PvE. Shield of Judgement is good, but Shield of Absorption is rather situational. If you want to go with it, I'd say pair it up with the Scepter and Focus. This way Right Hand Strength will benefit both weapons. Honestly tho, Guardians have some of the best weapon skills in the entire game, so anything would really work. Hammer won't benefit from Right Hand Strength, but it's great crowd control. Torch adds additional burning skills too, and they're AoE!

For support skills, the Stand Your Ground shout is a logical choice for any tank build. From there on some ideal choices could be Hold the Line (additional defense), Sanctuary (life saver shield that can be used for saving a party from death), the Signet of Judgement (my choice, as it reduces incoming all damage by 10%), Retreat (additional Aigis/Swiftness) or Bane Signet (Increased power)

As for traits. You're already going for Right-Hand Strength. If you're going Scepter + Torch, then Radiant Fire (Valor Tier 2) is a good choice. The other trait I'd recommend is Retributive Armor. It makes a portion of toughness becomes precision, which is essential for an offensive tank build.

Something like this is what I'd personally go for it.

The Tome of Wrath is kind of hit and miss. It is exceptional damage (409 base damage for all of its abilities, plus it burns for 700 every time) and decent support, more so when pared up with the boon-removing Searing Flames trait in Radiance line. Yet its duration is short, it's cooldown long, and it's lone crowd control ability is situational. Put simply; It won't save a failing group with it's damage, but it can be that extra oomph if you need to win an encounter right then and there.

The Tome of Courage on the other hand is a really good healing elite in group situations. It can easily turn around an encounter, be it PvP or PvE. That said, it's duration is short and it's cooldown long just like the Tome of Wrath. Light of Deliverance (full heal) is also pretty difficult to get off in a PvP situation. Seeing as you're going for an offensive tank, you may have difficulty pulling it off in a PvE situation as well.

Renewed Focus is usually the go-to Elite skill for Guardians, from what I've seen. Most builds recommend that for PvP and I've seen a lot of PvE builds use it too. It's what I run right now personally. That said, if you take either of the Tome abilities, then I recommend grabbing Elite Focus (Trait VII, tier 2) from the Virtues trait line. About the only way to minimize the drawbacks from their long cooldown and short duration.

As for the Arcane Weapons... I've used the sword and hammer. The sword's damage is pretty average (521 base damage, which means it hits about as hard as the Hammer's first auto attack ability) with a decent swing speed of 2.5 seconds. Nothing exceptional, but it can add damage. It's Command ability does good AoE damage (1000+) to everything near its target. The hammer attacks on a three-hit chain every six seconds, applying Knockback with the last hit. You can also destroy it to manually cause Knockback. It's decent CC.

Thank you for this post. This makes me happy. It seems I was not as in the dark as I thought I was.

I love the build you posted, but the 20 points in Virtues. 20% Damage while under effect of Aegis. How often am I under that effect if I keep my virtues passive? I sometimes lose Aegis even when not popping them.
I got bad teachings from never popping my F skills on my Warrior. I have always gone with the do-more-damage-the-more-adrenaline-you-have-build-up-skill, so I never F1 my warrior skills. So I have not been taught to do it with Guardian, yet I still loose Aegis.

What if I removed those 20 points in virtues, and put them into Zeal and got that 5% extra scepter damage?

Is it better you think to support both my weapons, or divide all my attention towards one?

Levyne

Banned
I don't know if you are in the guild, but I believe Varix runs mostly sword/shield (hard not to notice the shield) and Arken is always guardian theory-crafting and running new builds. Maybe shoot them a whisper in game (if they don't respond here)

Sophia

Thank you for this post. This makes me happy. It seems I was not as in the dark as I thought I was.

I love the build you posted, but the 20 points in Virtues. 20% Damage while under effect of Aegis. How often am I under that effect if I keep my virtues passive? I sometimes lose Aegis even when not popping them.
I got bad teachings from never popping my F skills on my Warrior. I have always gone with the do-more-damage-the-more-adrenaline-you-have-build-up-skill, so I never F1 my warrior skills. So I have not been taught to do it with Guardian, yet I still loose Aegis.

What if I removed those 20 points in virtues, and put them into Zeal and got that 5% extra scepter damage?

Is it better you think to support both my weapons, or divide all my attention towards one?

You could take the 20 points in virtues and put them into Zeal, yes. The Scepter is a pretty powerful weapon as-is. It's essentially trading guaranteed burst for guaranteed steady damage.

I personally prefer the Virtues line because A) I take Retreat, which gives aegis, B) I like the retaliation if I have to go support, and C) Inspired Virtues is awesome. By taking retreat and unscathed defender, I can pop aegis manually and immediately follow it up with burst damage because I know I'll be defended long enough (in this case, five seconds or so) to make full use of it. Also remember, boons last longer and your virtues come up faster when you've taken that tree.

If you go down the zeal tree, Shattered Aegis or Fiery Wrath are ideal choices.

The only real mandatory trait for an offensive tank build is Retributive Armor. Beyond that, you're pretty free to experiment.

I don't know if you are in the guild, but I believe Varix runs mostly sword/shield (hard not to notice the shield) and Arken is always guardian theory-crafting and running new builds. Maybe shoot them a whisper in game (if they don't respond here)

Yeah Arken is definitely the person for more info. I don't run Sword/Shield personally because I think Shield is a lousy PvE weapon, and I love my hammer/staff combo too much to give it up in sPvP, so Arken would be better for theorycrafting with it. Can't speak about Varix, as I don't think I've personally talked to them. D:

Lunar15

I did the last mission without a group, but it's kind of an "outlast the enemy" mission, and I'm running a fairly tanky build.

LkPr

I need opinions!

I am just about to get my alt Guardian to lvl 80 so I am going to start the process of gearing him up.

I currently have almost enough saved up to get a full set of Ascended trinkets (won't be able to get a back piece yet) but I am wondering if I should use up my saved Laurels/Guild Commendations to do so, considering the changes that were described about crafting these items.

I'm sure it will cost a lot to craft the items so in the end it may be worth it, I just don't want to waste my stock pile of 'currency'.

Also, what is everyone doing about back pieces? With all these new skins coming out does everyone just re-skin their back piece or do people just get multiple exotic back pieces and apply the skins?

Lastly, can ascended back pieces be re-skinned? I don't think I would ever do it considering the cost it takes to acquire them, I'm just curious.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I need opinions!

I am just about to get my alt Guardian to lvl 80 so I am going to start the process of gearing him up. The crafting stuff is someting you should probably think about for armor and weapons first off.

I currently have almost enough saved up to get a full set of Ascended trinkets (won't be able to get a back piece yet) but I am wondering if I should use up my saved Laurels/Guild Commendations to do so, considering the changes that were described about crafting these items.

I'm sure it will cost a lot to craft the items so in the end it may be worth it, I just don't want to waste my stock pile of 'currency'.
I'd go with Fractals for rings, Laurels + Badges for an Amulet, and comms for accessories.

Back pieces are the toughest to get by far, and carry by far the least value in terms of stats. You don't have to be concerned about putting that off.

Also, what is everyone doing about back pieces? With all these new skins coming out does everyone just re-skin their back piece or do people just get multiple exotic back pieces and apply the skins?
People do both of those things. Depends whether you want to just have "your back piece" which changes form over time, or save all the skins.
Lastly, can ascended back pieces be re-skinned? I don't think I would ever do it considering the cost it takes to acquire them, I'm just curious.
My ascended Mad Memories: Complete Edition say yes. In a creepy voice.

mingus

They can, but I would never skin over a fully upgraded one. It's not too hard nor expensive to get ascended stats for the fractal capacitor if you stop short of the +AR upgrade.

Levyne

Banned
I personally think the capacitor is an eyesore. My guard will be the next to get an ascended back piece and I plan to just craft a quiver and skin the rose on it.

Proven

I wish I could help more on the Guardian front but I've been more of a theory crafter since I avoided both tanky and greatsword builds for my own Guardian.

I will say that if you go down the Radiance tree you should get used to hitting F1. With the minor traits there you'll blind nearby enemies and place some vulnerability on an enemy you're focusing if you major trait it. Plus it'll give some might to the group while also resetting itself after every kill. It is too good.

TrounceX

Keep us updated on what you end up doing. Seems like you're going off in an interesting direction, and I'm curious about how it will turn out. I don't think I've ever seen a guardian run those weapon combos before.

And I'd be interested in helping theorycraft too. I've been doing that a lot lately, except usually in the context of looking for WvW setups (which is a totally different beast), but I could probably still provide some valuable input.

My in game name is Âdvent. Feel free to whisper me!

LkPr

I personally think the capacitor is an eyesore. My guard will be the next to get an ascended back piece and I plan to just craft a quiver and skin the rose on it.

is the Quiver the cheapest/easiest back piece to get if you plan on re-skinning it anyway?

jersoc

Any guardians here?

I'm thinking

?
?

TL;DR - I want the sword + shield, but I can't make a really good build for that. halp!!

just question, why a shield? that seems more of a pvp oh to me.

this is the build i switched to recently and it's been great.
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/83822-guardian-greatsword-dps-build-guide/

just destroy shit. if you are use to AH it takes a bit of an adjustment because you lose some healing. if you do full zerker you lose quite a bit hp too. so you for group events you gotta be a bit careful.

i don't really run dungeons so i don' t know how it fairs. if i did a lot of dungeons i would probably stick to AH build.

Levyne

Banned
I like the quiver/book because it's all basically buyable with gold/ecto except for 1 vial. Add 500 relics and a mistglob to infuse it.

mingus

is the Quiver the cheapest/easiest back piece to get if you plan on re-skinning it anyway?

Quiver/books are easiest yes, but not cheapest. Of the craftable ascended back pieces, the precision/toughness/condition damage ones are the least expensive, requiring 1 vial of condensed mists essence, 24 skill points, 50 ectos, and a full stack of ancient bones. The other stat combinations swap out a full stack of ancient bones for a full stack of some other T6 material. These don't come with AR resistance.

The fractal back pieces come in six stat combinations and cost 1350 fractal relics for the base one with exotic stats, then require 1 vial of condensed mists essence, 24 skill points, and a gift of ascension (500 fractal relics) to get ascended stats without AR resistance.

1850 fractal relics may seem like a lot but if you conservatively run a level 6 and a level 16 fractal with their dailies, that nets you about 137 relics per day, which comes to two weeks of fractal dailies. You're gonna need a vial of mists essence anyways, so you can't avoid doing fractals.

Levyne

Banned
Oh right, they also cost skill points...but who doesn't have a bunch of those

As for. T6 mats vs some relic stacks, guess its a function of time/money/willingness to fractal/ how much you like to spend relics on boxes instead to determine your preference

Ashodin

I'll post my current build to you guys soon, with pictures n everythin'

I don't care if Guardians only have burn as their condition, I tried to make a power/condition build goddammit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No new info in there except the name of the Champ loot bags, "Embroidered Coin Purse," which has to be the dumbest name for a reward item I've ever heard.

Levyne

Banned
Hmm. Champion loots is based on type alone? Hopefully there's some level/zone factor too, otherwise people will just zerg the lowest level champs of each type. Well, I don't know why I say "hopefully", but it would seem a bit less game-y if the loot took a little more into account than the label of the creature type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom