• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

There may be more, as there are definitely a few types we didn't get to try... namely: Drakes, Plants (Oakhearts/Mosshearts), Imps, Jotun, Elementals, Insects, Minotaurs, Moas, Raptors, Skelk, Skritt, Nightmare Court, Wind Riders, Devourers, Bats and Dolyaks... damn. However, it's definitely possible that no Champions whatsoever of these types exist. Please let me know if you do see and kill any, though!

There's a Champion Oakheart in the Human start. I'll go camp it out and see what it drops.

EDIT: It drops a Heirloom Seed Pouch.

gw17208xed.jpg

Jira

Interesting quote from Chris Whiteside:

Secondarily, we have in development system that does take dynamic events into the areas you are alluring to. But now it's not something I can talk about. We have plans basically to make our dynamic events even more meaningful to players, even more surprising and important in terms of specific things like ownership of the worlds and how the world evolves.

Note that was translated from Chinese. Anyways, sounds to me like they may be making forms of permanent DEs?

lol51

Effect culling is poorly implemented. In a situation where:

a. you are in a zerg AND
b. there are lots of effects

You will not be able to see enemy red AoE circles. You don't know if you will be dodging into a spell effect.

For example, Wiggin in the Crown Pavilion litters red AoE circles in large patterns. When fighting in a zerg, you might be able to see 4-5 of the circles when infact there are 10-20 all around him. You walk away thinking you are doing great, when BAM~ you downed.

Effect culling is poorly implemented. In a situation where:

a. you are in a zerg AND
b. there are lots of effects

You will not be able to see enemy red AoE circles. You don't know if you will be dodging into a spell effect.

For example, Wiggin in the Crown Pavilion litters red AoE circles in large patterns. When fighting in a zerg, you might be able to see 4-5 of the circles when infact there are 10-20 all around him. You walk away thinking you are doing great, when BAM~ you downed.

yes, the culling needs work. Still, it's a good first attempt.

I have never seen so much mayham and chaos as in the pavillion in a video game. I laughed my lungs out for hours as the train of death descended upon the pavillion in the name of Jennah and Logan the butthole.

Anno

Just an absurd amount of carnage that was going down there last night. Really no need to find any other farming spot from what I can tell. Plus two bosses drop chances at that rapier!

Dunlop

You walk away thinking you are doing great, when BAM~ you downed.

I cannot count the amount of times I died when on screen there was nothing near me due to the zerg and lag.

I was so happy to hit 80 on my guardian but I see how crap melee is in a situation like this and my engie would have been much better.

If I have time to play tonight it will just be staff spam....

Sophia

Yeah. Heavy hitting mechanics + Melee + culling not actually of any use = hell. The amount of times I've opted to just stand back because I can't tell good stuff from bad stuff in this game is staggering.

RobbieH

Awesome, thanks!

Skelks drop Fallen Adventurer's Backpack.

I cannot count the amount of times I died when on screen there was nothing near me due to the zerg and lag.

I was so happy to hit 80 on my guardian but I see how crap melee is in a situation like this and my engie would have been much better.

If I have time to play tonight it will just be staff spam....

If I bring my Guardian to the Pavilion it's to spam shouts, put Wall of Reflection in front of Kuraii and tag everything with staff. It's impossible to tell what's going on in melee.

imBask

Banned
haven't played yesterday but people on reddit are complaining about some red rings not appearing because of culling, hope they'll fix that quick

Lunar15

One tidbit I gleaned from the story sequence: (I'll spoiler it for people who haven't done it yet)

Logan brings up the fact that Rytlock said those exact words in the past. That would mean either one of two things: One could be that the illusions placed on the watchknights can reflect people's inner thoughts. However, I think that the more interesting implication is that whoever was controlling that watchknight actually has deep, personal knowledge of Destiny's Edge.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got back into this game over the weekend, man it's still so good. I really like a lot of the things they added to it too.

I was too noob to figure out how to participate in Cutthroat Politics until it was too late but it seems like ANET has a really good handle on this game. I just need to get to 80 so I can properly participate in WvW.

Reknoc

One tidbit I gleaned from the story sequence: (I'll spoiler it for people who haven't done it yet)

Logan brings up the fact that Rytlock said those exact words in the past. That would mean either one of two things: One could be that the illusions placed on the watchknights can reflect people's inner thoughts. However, I think that the more interesting implication is that whoever was controlling that watchknight actually has deep, personal knowledge of Destiny's Edge.

uh:
Countess Anise said she was the one that programmed the watchwork knight to be Rytlock, probably including what he said
further proving her to be the best character

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
is there any optimal way to find champions or do I just try and find all the group events with a wiki?
There kind of is no optimal way, but it's almost as good as it is inconvenient. There are a LOT of champions out there. The wiki has this list, but it is hilariously, dreadfully incomplete. About half the champs we hunted yesterday don't appear anywhere on it. Notably, it says that Fireheart Rise has two- two- Champions, which is absurd.
Skelks drop Fallen Adventurer's Backpack.
Fantastic! Thank you! Really consistent pattern with those. Skelks, Skale, Spiders, Wurms, Sharks, Karka- lesser, neutral monsters of the sort that wanna eat your face.

Get it? They ate the adventurers but couldn't digest the backpack! :p

Really disturbing implications there. Is the instance repeatable? I haven't tried, but I totally want to check it out again and pay a little more attention.

So what exactly is going on in the new patch? I worked me way to a balloon then went, killed some pirates and now im just killing mobs in big groups.

Probably not the best way to reintegrate after 3 weeks away and I had hardly grasped it back then!

If we were to take such implication as truth, I think the most straight forward possibility would be Caithe as while she's not Nightmare, she hasn't exactly shied away from peering into the darker side of things. It would also fit the mysterious person disappearing as Rox fired at her since Caithe is a Thief.

Personally though.. I still have a nagging feeling that Countess Anise had something to do with it. The choice to disguise the Watchknight as Rytlock seems much more personal and devious than it should've been to be just a gag. Especially as Rytlock is a high ranking Charr now, so wouldn't it be a bit insulting to have Logan defeat him considering there were representatives from all allied races there?

Levyne

Banned
So what exactly is going on in the new patch? I worked me way to a balloon then went, killed some pirates and now im just killing mobs in big groups.

Probably not the best way to reintegrate after 3 weeks away and I had hardly grasped it back then!

Edit: Hawkian has a better post. See below...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dear Hawkian the Great,

Have you decided on a time for tonights Guild Event?

Yours truly,
Kos Luftar
Does 9:00ET work for you Kos-man?

You must be talking about the Crown Pavilion, right?

So Queen Jennah in honor of 10 years Queening it up, is having this festival and they've opened this giant arena showcasing clockwork replicas of humanity's enemies, which translates to a huge zerg across the 6 mini-sections of the Pavilion. It's a bit of a clusterfuck and can be totally overwhelming, but there's also tons of money to be made there and you can see some really funny stuff when a dozen-plus players get downed by a mob simultaneously. You definitely have to pay attention.

In addition, suspended over the Pavilion are the Queen's Gauntlet arenas, where you fight one on one bosses of increasing difficulty, and you can even handicap yourself with conditions called Gambits. I haven't tried it, but these fights are apparently no joke. Entry (and each Gambit) costs an entrance ticket, which drop throughout the world.

There's more going on, though. Storywise
the Queen's new Watchknights were commandeered by an unseen force in the opening ceremony, and the Aetherblade pirates (from previous story steps if you've been following) attacked. You'll also find them out in the world harassing the areas surrounding the balloons ferrying people to DR. Disturbingly, it appears that Countess Anise, an assumed staunch ally, has something to do with either the Aetherblade attack or at least has deeper motivations than she has let on. She was responsible for programming the Watchknights and appears to have used very specific, private knowledge about Logan against him.

There are also more structural, permanent changes to the game. Cliff's notes:
-Dungeons now reward more gold on completion, but only once per path per day
-Champions of all kinds drop valuable loot bags, with a variety of handy contents and chances at very rare weapons
-Currencies, from gold to karma to guild commendations, are now stored in an account-wide wallet. No need for them to take up inventory space.
-You can join PvP from anywhere in the world (no need to go to the Mists first), and you can join a Solo Queue (play on and against teams of other single players rather than coordinated groups)

Here's an official guide if ya need more.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
uh:
Countess Anise said she was the one that programmed the watchwork knight to be Rytlock, probably including what he said
further proving her to be the best character

Yup.
Her tone when she says "I did it once you chose to be sole challenger" made it sound like she did it to embarrass him for being so full of himself.

I don't understand what exactly is happening in the Crown Pavillion or why I followed the Zerg around killing things last night but I leveled 2 or 3 times and received a bunch of strong boxes and stuff.

crazy stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Woops sorry didn't mean to step on your toes Levyne.

I think we both forgot about the torch runs though- which are seemingly little obstacle courses through Divinity's Reach. I haven't done them yet, but apparently completion gets you a permanent ambient torch.

If you are wondering whether or not this is worthwhile, be aware that like other "toys" such as the kite, almost all transformations continue "holding" the torch as best they can:

Reknoc

The torch runs were really fun, shame there's so few and not really worth doing a second time. Getting that last torch with just a second left #sogood

Regarding Story:

Everyone keeps saying she's responsible for "programming" the Watchnights but I don't remember that. They way I remember it being described is that the Watchnights take the form of different Enemies through Mesmer magic (the Rytlock was made specifically through Countess Anise's magic as she's a Mesmer) but it seemed like the programming was separate from that.

I think I'll try attending with an alt to see if it lets me play through the storyline again.

scotcheggz

I posted yestersday about my account being hacked/banned, just an update, Anet restored my account today, which was really quick. It wasn't rolled back, but all my characters were still there. My warrior was more or less intact but my thief was completely stripped of all my exotics, so my racial skins and cof skins were all gone which is probably the bigest loss as well as all my Karma. It was obviously used for botting though, I had a bunch of high tier mats, along with hundreds of bags and kite fortunes (though I'm not entirely sure what they are, since I havent been playing for so long). I still had a few gold on me, so if I want to get back to how I was, it shouldn't take too long. I don't know if I have anything of any worth from the bastard who hacked me but possibly I could sell some of the mats they "farmed" to get some of my stuff back, I dunno.

Anyway, full marks to Anet for investigating it so quickly.

Edit: Oh and also, the nub got rid of my warriors exotic GS and was using dual exotic axes. They also threw away my gifts of exploration, or I assume threw away, since you can't do anything with them, right? why would you do that? Salt in the wound!

I had a blast in the pavilion last night. The carnage those AoE attacks caused! After being hit by one too many red circles I never saw, I switched to my staff and mostly stayed alive. Mostly.

The torch runs are fun. I've done 2 so far. I do wish there were more than 4 though.

See everyone tonight killing those champions.

Trey

We didn't get any skins in our hunts, so I don't have the data I really want yet- if skins are tied to certain bag types. Conceptually it seems likely, though. If you get a drop, please make a note of the kind of bag you opened for it!

Stardust drops from the Guilded Strongbox.

Levyne

Banned
Woops sorry didn't mean to step on your toes Levyne.

It's cool. If my post was better than yours I wouldn't have edited.

Personally I thought the torch runs were rather throwaway. I love the Gauntlet though. Reminds me of the Norn-hosted arena in Eye of the North, though that one had the little bonus of being opponents you knew from the story or old henchman, which I thought was really cool.

Lunar15

More Story thoughts:

My impression was that, while Anise programmed Rytlock into the watchknight, it was hijacked mid-performance. It was unclear, and I'd have to run it again to see Anise's dialogue a little better. I think it's clear that Anise can't be trusted, thanks to some kind of obvious and simple writing. but either way, someone, whether it's Anise or our mysterious new friend, has some sort of intimate knowledge of Destiny's Edge. Anet highlighted Rytlock's choice of words and definitely emphsized the fact that Logan found it heavily suspicious. I don't think it's a throwaway comment.

Reaching as far as I can, one would wonder if Kralkatorrik is really behind most of this, and that he has DE's number. Given that he was nearly defeated by them in the past, it could be that he views them as the greatest threat to his dominance.

Seems some of the mobs that drop the weapons are from are being discovered.

Antons Boot Blade : Centaur Champs
Bonetti's Rapier: Bandit and Pirate Champs
Cobalt: Seems to drop from a variety of Champs. Speculated as a "Common" drop
Crystal Guardian (aka Ash's target) : Svanir and Icebrood Champs
Entropy (Purple Hammer) : Risen and Frozen Maw Champs
Genesis (Golden Hammer) : Frozen Maw Champs
Impaler : Boar Champ
Scepter of the Highborn : Spider Champ in Queensdale; Icebrood Fish Champ in Frostgorge
Shiverstone : HOTW Path 1 Aldus Stormbringer
Song of the Temptress : AC's last boss.

Anno

This brings back an EQish feel of camping specific monsters for specific rare items, which I just live to death. I hope they keep adding to the box over time and keep the items hard
to get and awesome looking.

Levyne

Banned
It makes the dungeons more like GW1 too, where the big prize is a dungeon/boss specific exotic. I mean, that's not terribly unique but it perhaps was something they were lacking.

How's the community so far?

I've been gone for, I don't know, 10 months? Would it be easie for a lowbie to jump back into the game and have fun with others?

pyros

After the latest update, I can't buy any gems, tried all the cc I have and my paypal account, I know my credit is good, waiting on arena net to reply back

Anno

Definitely easy to get back into the game. Community in general I find to be pretty solid and the community within GAF is amazing.

Reknoc

It makes the dungeons more like GW1 too, where the big prize is a dungeon/boss specific exotic. I mean, that's not terribly unqiue but it perhaps was something they were lacking.

It was definitely something they were lacking, there's something about knowing this one specific boss has the item you're after. It like, makes the boss feel more antagonistic on a more personal level as it refuses to drop that one thing you're after. And the satisfaction when you finally get it is immense.

I feel like it needs to be said that those listings were just where the drops were confirmed. The weapons drop from the bags so logic serves that if the list says Big Boss X has dropped the bag that had the weapon and that bag was Gilded Coffers, then any other mob that drops Gilded Coffers should drop that weapon as well.

I do feel like though, this info is still preliminary, so expect it to change and have more info revealed over time.

Lunar15

There's much more science to be done.

Hopefully some science will happen tonight during the hunt! The hunt for science!

(by science I mean mad loot, y'all)

imBask

Banned

I've been gone for, I don't know, 10 months? Would it be easie for a lowbie to jump back into the game and have fun with others?

I recently came back to the game too, I played lone wolf the whole time back then and never touched most of the game aspects, and I still feel right at home.

I ask a lot of question about "dumb" stuff that I still don't know and generally get answered without the usual "YOU DON'T KNOW THAT? WOW" attitude so yeah, it's pretty easy to jump back into the game

I also joined a big, non-tryhard guild on my server and i'm having a blast with them, this game is completely different now for me at least. It's pretty different from lone wolfing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I posted yestersday about my account being hacked/banned, just an update, Anet restored my account today, which was really quick. It wasn't rolled back, but all my characters were still there. My warrior was more or less intact but my thief was completely stripped of all my exotics, so my racial skins and cof skins were all gone which is probably the bigest loss as well as all my Karma. It was obviously used for botting though, I had a bunch of high tier mats, along with hundreds of bags and kite fortunes (though I'm not entirely sure what they are, since I havent been playing for so long). I still had a few gold on me, so if I want to get back to how I was, it shouldn't take too long. I don't know if I have anything of any worth from the bastard who hacked me but possibly I could sell some of the mats they "farmed" to get some of my stuff back, I dunno.

Anyway, full marks to Anet for investigating it so quickly.

Edit: Oh and also, the nub got rid of my warriors exotic GS and was using dual exotic axes. They also threw away my gifts of exploration, or I assume threw away, since you can't do anything with them, right? why would you do that? Salt in the wound!
Whoa! Didn't expect them to take action so quickly. Glad you got your account back. Sorry about all the crazy stuff missing.
Seems some of the mobs that drop the weapons are from are being discovered.

Antons Boot Blade : Centaur Champs
Bonetti's Rapier: Bandit and Pirate Champs
Cobalt: Seems to drop from a variety of Champs. Speculated as a "Common" drop
Crystal Guardian (aka Ash's target) : Svanir and Icebrood Champs
Entropy (Purple Hammer) : Risen and Frozen Maw Champs
Genesis (Golden Hammer) : Frozen Maw Champs
Impaler : Boar Champ
Scepter of the Highborn : Spider Champ in Queensdale; Icebrood Fish Champ in Frostgorge
Shiverstone : HOTW Path 1 Aldus Stormbringer
Song of the Temptress : AC's last boss.
Thanks for this. Need to sort through it. The problem is...

I feel like it needs to be said that those listings were just where the drops were confirmed. The weapons drop from the bags so logic serves that if the list says Big Boss X has dropped the bag that had the weapon and that bag was Gilded Coffers, then any other mob that drops Gilded Coffers should drop that weapon as well.

I do feel like though, this info is still preliminary, so expect it to change and have more info revealed over time.
Yeah. People (including Dulfy, grrr) are just saying what mobs they're dropping from, and that's looking past what may be our biggest "in," the families (type of bag). It's definitely likely that some uniques drop from multiple families though. So this is still helpful and will be really good for cross-confirmation.

As Levyne said I could go on for pages telling you about how great the community is and how friendly the game is to new players, but really... just jump in. Join GAFGuild and never look back.
There's much more science to be done.

Hopefully some science will happen tonight during the hunt! The hunt for science!

(by science I mean mad loot, y'all)
Science is some sort of weird euphemism right?
Oh myyyy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom