• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Science is some sort of weird euphemism right?

tumblr_m6koufJ9aF1qm8nv9o1_500.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Targeting the mobs isn't the route we want, we want bag families.
Yep. My thread on Reddit is pretty popular and people are making a lot of helpful reports, but it's clear people are just remembering the mob and location they got the drop, not the bag type. And that's how they getcha! In theory, you can hunt for your skins all over the world as long as you stick to the same family.

BTW Ash, looks pretty solid that Icebrood/Gilded Strongboxes have your Crystal Guardian (not Branded ;))

scotcheggz

Whoa! Didn't expect them to take action so quickly. Glad you got your account back. Sorry about all the crazy stuff missing.

Yeh, I'm really impressed at how on it they were. It seems they'll offer me a rollback now, so I might get it back to exactly how I left it. If that happens, I'll be really chuffed. Anet have got to hold the top tier for support in an MMO, or at least it seems to me after this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeh, I'm really impressed at how on it they were. It seems they'll offer me a rollback now, so I might get it back to exactly how I left it. If that happens, I'll be really chuffed. Anet have got to hold the top tier for support in an MMO, or at least it seems to me after this.
That is really sweet man, I'll cross my fingers you can!
Seems some of the mobs that drop the weapons are from are being discovered.

Antons Boot Blade : Centaur Champs
Bonetti's Rapier: Bandit and Pirate Champs
Cobalt: Seems to drop from a variety of Champs. Speculated as a "Common" drop
Crystal Guardian (aka Ash's target) : Svanir and Icebrood Champs
Entropy (Purple Hammer) : Risen and Frozen Maw Champs
Genesis (Golden Hammer) : Frozen Maw Champs
Impaler : Boar Champ
Scepter of the Highborn : Spider Champ in Queensdale; Icebrood Fish Champ in Frostgorge
Shiverstone : HOTW Path 1 Aldus Stormbringer
Song of the Temptress : AC's last boss.
Bleh. I can find double confirmation for barely any of this!! Scepter of the Highborn and Crystal Guardian off Gilded Strongboxes (Icebrood++?) and Entropy off Gilded Coffers (Risen) are definite. Shiverstone also clearly drops off of Icebrood/Gilded Strongboxes- very cool cause it's a clear thematic link, though it remains to be seen if the Strongboxes from Ghosts and Destroyers can drop them as well.

People have brought up a disturbing possibility about the non-stacking boxes, though (for example, bandit purses and pirate purses don't stack!). I'm hoping this is just an item code thing, like the karma jugs from dungeons not stacking with old ones, and not indicative of anything greater, or else this will be a nightmare.

Sorry for geeking out so much over this, by the by. I love shit like this :3

Ashodin

Yep. My thread on Reddit is pretty popular and people are making a lot of helpful reports, but it's clear people are just remembering the mob and location they got the drop, not the bag type. And that's how they getcha! In theory, you can hunt for your skins all over the world as long as you stick to the same family.

BTW Ash, looks pretty solid that Icebrood/Gilded Strongboxes have your Crystal Guardian (not Branded ;))
That means two things. What the hell do branded drop, and the champs in Frostgorge are the best bet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That means two things. What the hell do branded drop, and the champs in Frostgorge are the best bet.
Frostgorge is an absolute goldmine- they're all exotics because of the zone level, and rapidly respawning Icebrood champs eeeeverywhere.

No one has reported anything from Branded Strongboxes yet!

If I were to venture a guess, though...

edit:

Most interesting recent discovery: Embroidered Belt Pouch is in fact the generic bag type that drops from any Champ in WvW, regardless of type. Despite all that trouble we went to yesterday, it has nothing to do with Harpies- and since that's potentially the only Champion Harpy in the game, we may never know where they fit in!

scotcheggz

and they've just rolled back my account! Madness! Unbanned, access restored and a rollback all in less than 24 hours. Great support Anet :)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
and they've just rolled back my account! Madness! Unbanned, access restored and a rollback all in less than 24 hours. Great support Anet :)

That's pretty awesome. Some folks round here imply their support isn't really the best but your encounter with them seems pretty awesome all things considered.

Katoki

These weapons don't seem to be time-limited, so everything I was thinking yesterday would be invalidated. If this is the case, there should be no reason to worry about the lowest price for the weapons for their skins since they would just hit equilibrium from the farming. The only reason to worry about the price now is if you wanted to be seen with it first.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Definitely. The prices of the skins right now are "have it while no one else does" costs.

Got one report of the shiny purple sword dropping from Fallen Adventurer's Backpacks; first I'd heard.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gauntlet is going to drive me insane, I can tell. I don't know what to do because I have guild duties, and a job and stuff, but I know when I get in I won't be able to get myself out until I have my trophy.

Gauntlet is going to drive me insane, I can tell. I don't know what to do because I have guild duties, and a job and stuff, but I know when I get in I won't be able to get myself out until I have my trophy.

I think it shouldn't be too bad for you to be honest. You've got multiple sets of gear and are a better thief than I am and I made it pretty far. The biggest thing hurting me is that my gear isn't really optimized so I have to figure out all kinds of tricks to get through it.

Good side is, it's forcing me to go through my trait skills constantly so I'm becoming more experienced in using the stuff I usually ignore.

Does 9:00ET work for you Kos-man?

You must be talking about the Crown Pavilion, right?

So Queen Jennah in honor of 10 years Queening it up, is having this festival and they've opened this giant arena showcasing clockwork replicas of humanity's enemies, which translates to a huge zerg across the 6 mini-sections of the Pavilion. It's a bit of a clusterfuck and can be totally overwhelming, but there's also tons of money to be made there and you can see some really funny stuff when a dozen-plus players get downed by a mob simultaneously. You definitely have to pay attention.

In addition, suspended over the Pavilion are the Queen's Gauntlet arenas, where you fight one on one bosses of increasing difficulty, and you can even handicap yourself with conditions called Gambits. I haven't tried it, but these fights are apparently no joke. Entry (and each Gambit) costs an entrance ticket, which drop throughout the world.

There's more going on, though. Storywise
the Queen's new Watchknights were commandeered by an unseen force in the opening ceremony, and the Aetherblade pirates (from previous story steps if you've been following) attacked. You'll also find them out in the world harassing the areas surrounding the balloons ferrying people to DR. Disturbingly, it appears that Countess Anise, an assumed staunch ally, has something to do with either the Aetherblade attack or at least has deeper motivations than she has let on. She was responsible for programming the Watchknights and appears to have used very specific, private knowledge about Logan against him.

There are also more structural, permanent changes to the game. Cliff's notes:
-Dungeons now reward more gold on completion, but only once per path per day
-Champions of all kinds drop valuable loot bags, with a variety of handy contents and chances at very rare weapons
-Currencies, from gold to karma to guild commendations, are now stored in an account-wide wallet. No need for them to take up inventory space.
-You can join PvP from anywhere in the world (no need to go to the Mists first), and you can join a Solo Queue (play on and against teams of other single players rather than coordinated groups)

Here's an official guide if ya need more.

Thanks!
I followed the train for awhile, then realized I need to rep for people so did it abit more.
If nothing else ive gained a silly amount of mats from breaking down all the loot I get! got a few upgrades aswell.

Tried to do the 1V1 bit but kept noobing it up. The one time I nearly had him my Internet died.. another time I warped into 2 other peoples fights, died, revived and was trapped in the bubble lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah, do you get to change gear between bouts then? I don't know how it works, like if you have to beat multiple in a row before dying or what.
another time I warped into 2 other peoples fights, died, revived and was trapped in the bubble lol
lol what! that's hilarious. sounds like they definitely have some kinks to work out.

Ah, do you get to change gear between bouts then? I don't know how it works, like if you have to beat multiple in a row before dying or what.

lol what! that's hilarious. sounds like they definitely have some kinks to work out.

It's broken down into seperate fights so it's not a legitimate Gauntlet in that you have to beat every fight without a break. You queue, get in, fight whatever boss(es), and after you win/lose you get kicked back out to queue again.

You can also select to fight each fight specifically after you've already beaten it, so that allows you to try for the harder achieves and to fight specific fights with gambits on if you choose.

Edit: Also I got tossed into someone else's fight as well once. Dude was in the middle of a fight with a different boss and it loaded me in and loaded my boss as well. We both got smashed hard and died. Neither of us got stuck though.

Levyne

Banned
There's 12 total fights. 3 groups of 4 with the 4th usually being more mechanic heavy (a "boss" of the tier).

You fight them in order 1 at a time. Some of them you get an achievement for fulfilling a special condition. You talk to the ringmaster to fight the highest unlocked you have, talk to the gambit person to load up a gambit debuff beforehand, talk to the fight manager to choose a previous fight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
9 pm works!

Fire Shaman is a champ only. Wonder if he for some new special weapon.
He already has his one unique world drops though!

Also, Meta event champs have been weird. Some (Foulbear Chieftain) drop bags like any old champ. Others (Xolotl in Caledon, and the crazy awesome "ancient creature" in Lornar's) kind of just.... go away and don't technically die, and thus drop nothing.

Haven't done Fire Shaman yet... I think he dies, though, right? We'll see :)

Luigi87

It is nice to see a lot less CoF1 Zerker, blah blah, spam.
Maybe now I can actually start aiming for Dungeon Master, lol

Anywho, looking forward to the thing tonight, for the time I'll be able to attend it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Good guy hunters on reddit offering champs of the few types we're still missing!

Drake - Marsh Drake in the Swamp Fractal, and and Ice Drake (not Icebrood) in Leopard's Tail Valley, Frostgorge. Dollars to donuts they drop Fallen Adventurer's Backpacks!
Insect - Champion Wasp Queen in Queensdale (can't believe I didn't think of this. Basically confirmed it's the FA'sB anyway though)
Skelk - http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Champion_Jungle_Skelk_Lurker in Mount Maelstrom during event
Nightmare Court - http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ebon_Knight_Carriadar in Brisban Wildlands during event -> Awesome, knew there was one somewhere.
Wind Rider - Champ Reef Rider in Southsun Cove

edit: Ash, find the Drake! Northern section of Leopard's Tail Valley.

Luigi87

Okay, so the Frostgorge champ loop is about about a 6min run (a little bit less, but I'm rounding). This is counting from the first spawn of the Champion Icebrood Norn, until it respawns.

So that's 3 Gilded Strongboxes per 6 min, with an average of... 6s per (so 18s) loop.
So multiply by ten for 60min, that's about 1.8g per hour, plus the other goodies you get from the strongbox/natural champ drops, which can also be sold...

Or in my case horded as I work toward that Gift of Fortune x_x

Lunar15

There's a group 20 strong killing champions in Frostgorge. No joke.

We knew it'd happen. Oh well, I guess the crystal defender will show up on the TP for dirt cheap pretty soon.

Although, I expect Anet will nerf it or something. Remove a champ. The whole thing was to spread people out, but I guess you can't ever fully achieve that.

I thought it would spread people out some, but people will always find the quickest path.

So is it decided where the guild is hunting tonight?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We knew it'd happen. Oh well, I guess the crystal defender will show up on the TP for dirt cheap pretty soon.

Although, I expect Anet will nerf it or something. Remove a champ. The whole thing was to spread people out, but I guess you can't ever fully achieve that.
I really expected harsh restrictions on killing the same champs multiple times in rapid succession, and I'm surprised that there's no penalty. Still, I really wonder if it's all that bad. Where would those 20-odd have been before?

Semi-related note: I just got my first confirmation that "a bag is a bag": report of a Crystal Guardian drop of a Gilded Strongbox- but this time a destroyer. I haven't seen reports of Crystal Guardian from anything other than Gilded Strongboxes yet either, so it may well be our first confirmed skin available from only one family.

edit: Strong evidence that Bonetti's Rapier via the Embroidered Coin Purse may be another.

I thought it would spread people out some, but people will always find the quickest path.

So is it decided where the guild is hunting tonight?
Timberline Falls my friend, 9:00PMEDT. Be there!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My Weaponsmithing is ready, I hit 400 the other day. I might want to get up Artificing and Huntsman on other characters as well...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shell Pouch from Icebrood Quggan in Frostgorge Sound.
WHAT

unacceptable : (

Damnit... I guess Quaggans are special. Is there a Risen champ quaggan to check anywhere...?

Actually, could be that the Aquatics take precedence over "Dragon Minion Type" if a Risen Krait champ drops a Shell Pouch that solves that one.

Lunar15

WHAT

unacceptable : (

Damnit... I guess Quaggans are special. Is there a Risen champ quaggan to check anywhere...?

Actually, could be that the Aquatics take precedence over "Dragon Minion Type" if a Risen Krait champ drops a Shell Pouch that solves that one.

Meanwhile, in Hawkian's room:

beautiful_mind_3.JPG

Retro

Hilariously enough, Dulfy's guide to all the new weapon skins seems to list an awful lot of the weapons drop from Queensdale mobs. I can't imagine why that would ever happen... oh wait, that's where everyone farms champions, of course that's where the results will skew. Pretty much everyone who plays the game knows that's a thing now, it seems pretty obvious she doesn't actually play, just stripmines / regurgitates data.

Hilariously enough, Dulfy's guide to all the new weapon skins seems to list an awful lot of the weapons drop from Queensdale mobs. I can't imagine why that would ever happen... oh wait, that's where everyone farms champions, of course that's where the results will skew. Pretty much everyone who plays the game knows that's a thing now, it seems pretty obvious she doesn't actually play, just stripmines / regurgitates data.

GAF should farm a zone every week to see if we get some totally new drops.

See you all at 9. I got to study for my Professional Engineers of Ontario exam which I will be doing on Saturday.

Logically I took 2 days of work to study!

I couldn't guess what game she plays but she has updates and guides from multiple games, all pretty much just as quickly as each (including games that have updates on the same day), so yeah, her site is just collected info from people. I mean the fact that she has solutions for The Secret World's harder quests extremely quickly shows she's not the one doing it. But that's how all those types of sites work.

Edit: Also I won't be around at 9pm most likely. 10pm at the soonest for me. Gotta watch last nights Suits ep with the wife.

Lunar15

I don't think anyone had any doubts about where she was getting the info. I dunno, she's running a site that has guides, and she puts up info as she gets it. At least it's accurate.

For those that want it, it's there. I don't really have a problem with it.

Anyway, tonight, at 9PM EST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBJ9RnbK8G4

Ragus

Banned
I got up to level 76 in WoW, and the biggest events, that I took part in were 5 man instances. Yesterday in GW2, I fought a boss with so many people, that I had to lower graphic details. Shit was insane.

And I did that after 24 hours of playing on a lvl 23 character. This game simply rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom