• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Anyone else think this patch was an enormous step back for the game? (Not even referring to the fact that now there's pockets of lag and loading times have increased tremendously)

In an effort to stop farming a single dungeon, they implemented a system to get people to do all the dungeons. This had me excited, dungeon'ing is fun and doing more than the same dungeon all the time is even more fun.

But now with Champions and the Pavilion, everyone else is farming. So we went from farming a single dungeon to just bum rushing champions, which requires almost no intellect at all. Just mash mash mash. I feel like the Pavilion is even ANets way of celebrating zerging. It might be some of the worst content they put out, basically a giant room full of loot. Essentially Mad Kings domain with Halloween doors replaced by Champions and Legendaries.

Sophia

I actually like all the changes to the champions. Before I just ignored them because the challenge of soloing one wasn't worth it. Now they're worth farming, even if they turn into a zerg rush at times.

However.... Queen's Gauntlet aside, I have nothing kind to say about the Pavilion. Probably among the worst temporary content they've ever done. The Queen's Gauntlet is good, but wasted potential due to a number of design issues.

Mxrz

Did the pavilion long enough to do the champion achievements. Not much since. Right now everybody is screwy over the new weapon skins, once the newness wears off, and the prices bottom out, I doubt most people will care as much. The way I see it, if people want to farm themselves to death, more power to them. It just makes stuff cheaper for me.

I will say seeing the CoF berserker types try, fail, and ragequit/whine Catacombs 1 has been rather fun to watch.

Did CoE 2 lastnight. Despite some silly attempts at drama, it basically went well. More or less did the dungeon with four, but still. Being a guardian in a dungeon is a great thing. I can charge into any boss blind, and live long enough to puzzle what its deal is. Conditions and red circles are problems for other people. /swagger.

New computer built! My first build ever.

And everything works!

hAjsO2a.png

Time to play Guild Wars!

PyzVsj2.png

tumblr_m2fnlwTEFx1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

You should have copied your Guild Wars 2 folder to an external drive and then you would not have to wait this long.

imBask

Banned
Mostly killing champions in Frostgorge with the zerg but I got lucky while we were doing the puzzle in Timberfalls, I got a nice exotic from a random veteran destroyer.

I did about 40g yesterday without selling mats.

there are zergs running around Frostgorge endlessly? gotta try it tonight then

New computer built! My first build ever.

And everything works!

hAjsO2a.png

good lawd, my 3 months old computer feels out of date now, I only have an i7 3770 and a gtx670

IT'S WORTHLESS

LkPr

Is this the cheapest/easiest Exotic Greatsword you can get?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pearl_Broadsword

Pearl Broadsword - The Pearl Broadsword is a pearl weapon that is attained through crafting in the Weaponsmith profession. It's unlocked through purchasing Orichalcum Imbued Inscription recipes at a Master craftsman.

Pearl Broadsword= (1) Orichalcum Greatsword Hilt + (1) Orichalcum Greatsword Blade + Orichalcum Imbued Inscription

I'm looking for a cheap exotic greatsword that I can easily make/acquire multiple times in order to use as a base for the different GS skins I have - I'm not a fan of just updating the current exotic I have with a new skin in case I get bored of it lol.

There is also dungeon weapons which I think costs 390 tokens per weapon but I think that crafting will be easier.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Daaaang congrats on the beastly new rig Khold. Wowza.
Anyone else think this patch was an enormous step back for the game? (Not even referring to the fact that now there's pockets of lag and loading times have increased tremendously)

In an effort to stop farming a single dungeon, they implemented a system to get people to do all the dungeons. This had me excited, dungeon'ing is fun and doing more than the same dungeon all the time is even more fun.

But now with Champions and the Pavilion, everyone else is farming. So we went from farming a single dungeon to just bum rushing champions, which requires almost no intellect at all. Just mash mash mash. I feel like the Pavilion is even ANets way of celebrating zerging. It might be some of the worst content they put out, basically a giant room full of loot. Essentially Mad Kings domain with Halloween doors replaced by Champions and Legendaries.
It's tough to see it as any kind of step back. You're basically right on the money about the Pavilion being like the Mad King's domain and if you disliked one it's hugely likely you'll dislike the other. Others may rather enjoy giant rooms full of loot. Crucially, it can be safely ignored, even if the meta achievement rewards are non-optional for you (I think you can theoretically fill the entire meta just with the Jubilee daily acheivements if you do enough?). Put another way, you don't like this event's temporary content, but at least you can rejoice that it's temporary.

Your concerns about more systemic changes are less clear. 36 dungeon runs were listed on gw2lfg in the last 10 minutes, and a lower percentage than ever before are looking for COF1 runs. This seems healthy to me, so maybe there's something perceptual going on. When you say
now with Champions and the Pavilion, everyone else is farming. So we went from farming a single dungeon to just bum rushing champions
Do you mean the guild? Cause... I spent release day systematic hunting different types of Champions (if that can possibly be considered farming, it's the least efficient version ever :p) and last night we dedicated a guild event specifically to them... and that's it. It's only been two nights. I'm definitely sorry if you did not enjoy our event, but I have to stress that we can't ensure every individual one appears to every member of the guild. :( Rest assured that I will be back to rabidly running dungeons soon enough and I have no doubt that this holds true for many of our guildmates as well.

I think you also may have ignored or glossed over the disappointing strangeness of the new dungeon reward allocation. Every single dungeon path outside of AC and Arah is worth 1 gold. They successfully made "anything other than COF1" more appealing than "COF1 again," but they certainly did nothing to make SE2 as appealing as SE1, TA3 as appealing as anything in CoE, or to convince me to yawn through the Butcher once more in HotW. Nor did they do anything to make any of the above more appealing than COF1 if you're just picking a single run to do.

It's so out of wack it feels borderline bugged to me, and I really hope they give them another pass soon. It's nowhere close to enough to dissuade me from doing dungeons- I'd still want to run my favorites even if there were literally no rewards- but it is certainly the most disappointing aspect of this patch from my perspective rather than the other stuff surrounding it that you think had a negative impact on dungeon running.

So all in all, rather than a tremendous step back, I think it's a big step forward with temporary content that some may understandably not enjoy, and good reason to take another look at the reward level for many dungeon paths.

Queens Jubilee is a celebration. It's not supposed to be hard outside of the gauntlet. And people are farming Champs to cash in on the new skins while they're worth something. Both are temporary and neither is supposed to he on the cutting edge of challenging.

Lunar15

Props to going on a (basically) no waypoint run of Timberline last night. I'm totally down for champ hunting in different areas every once in a while. It's a great way to stock up on map completion and ignoring waypoints both provides scale to the world and saves money.

I'll be damned if I have to use kiel's discounted waypoints more than have to!

Sophia

Props to going on a (basically) no waypoint run of Timberline last night. I'm totally down for champ hunting in different areas every once in a while. It's a great way to stock up on map completion and ignoring waypoints both provides scale to the world and saves money.

It's also a great way to gear up and level alts too!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Yeah the savings from the WP cost to get to Timberline and after dying disappointed and melty to a mass of Destroyers who were not at all led by a Champion... that was plenty for me.

We're definitely considering a Blazeridge hunt possibly next week. And a more dangerous Southsun venture in the near future too.

Tonight I'm gonna get back to offering some Guild Event makeups though, and then run some dungeons. I think I'll hold off on the Gauntlet until the weekend, cause it'll take over my life

Shanlei91

Do you mean the guild? Cause... I spent release day systematic hunting different types of Champions (if that can possibly be considered farming, it's the least efficient version ever :p) and last night we dedicated a guild event specifically to them... and that's it. It's only been two nights. I'm definitely sorry if you did not enjoy our event, but I have to stress that we can't ensure every individual one appears to every member of the guild. :( Rest assured that I will be back to rabidly running dungeons soon enough and I have no doubt that this holds true for many of our guildmates as well.

Oh no, the Guild event was fine. The idea of the guild searching for Champions was fun. I always appreciate the massive running through a zone, even more so than Guild challenges. I love the idea thrown around of us running through a zone, drunk, with no purpose other than to confuse other players.

But basically the content, everyone is farming, is soulless. I participated in a Frostgorge farm and after 10 minutes went nuts. It literally is just running from point to point, taking down champions that aren't intelligent or interesting, just damage sponges. It feels like every MMO that has come before, and I honestly have outgrown that. Even farming CoF was fun in comparison. At least there, it was a ballet of sorts where you had to push enemies into corners, reflect when necessary, dodge when necessary and then there was the variable of a shitty player in a PUG who I would strategize to revive without me getting killed. While boring in the long term, it's a lot more fun farming than mashing bosses without worry.

I think what grinds my gears is that the developers of Guild Wars have proven that they're capable of really smart and interactive content. Jumping puzzles and bosses that require coordination / more than just mashing come to mind. (Molten Alliance being the best) But instead, the update that seems to have drawn the biggest crowd, is the one that introduces just zerging bosses for loot. So it's the loot that has everyone excited. As someone who just isn't interested in that, it kind of saddens me to see people going nuts for tedious gameplay.

It frightens me to think that this is possibly the future of the game given the positive reaction. (which is ridiculous when you think of inflation, which happened last at the first Southsun event)

meep!

Neo Member
Doesnt seem to be any champion zerg-farming going on in Frostgorge on my server. Perhaps it haven't catched on yet everywhere.
Where are the most popular champs in that zone? I went there to look but couldn't find much. Really haven't visited that zone alot before.

I don't have any problems with the new update content wise. Performance wise though.. what the hell happened? Guild Wars used to run really well now I am getting LAG everywhere.

hate it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think what grinds my gears is that the developers of Guild Wars have proven that they're capable of really smart and interactive content. Jumping puzzles and bosses that require coordination / more than just mashing come to mind. (Molten Alliance being the best) But instead, the update that seems to have drawn the biggest crowd, is the one that introduces just zerging bosses for loot. So it's the loot that has everyone excited. As someone who just isn't interested in that, it kind of saddens me to see people going nuts for tedious gameplay.
Well, that makes a lot of sense. I think we're the same kind of player (not particularly interested in the loot in and of itself in this kind of game at all), but it's impossible to ignore how much of the MMO community is the the type that says "why would I do this if it doesn't give me a good reward?" and the corollary of course "what gives me the most reward for the least effort?"

I think ArenaNet has offered a number of concessions to that type of player because they are numerous, but I don't think they're in any real danger of catering to them exclusively either.

Think about the most recent Living Story event before this one, the Bazaar of the Four Winds. Not loot-driven, nothing zergable. Heavy on exploration, jumping puzzles, minigames and subtle lore implications. And it was really well-received too! I think they're going to continue to provide a mix of stuff rather than shifting to one end of the spectrum.

Plus, if you think about the Queen's Gauntlet, which is a pretty significant aspect of this patch, it's high-challenge, high-effort, relatively low reward- and the antithesis of zerg in that it's for literally one player at a time. Can't call that soulless!

It frightens me to think that this is possibly the future of the game given the positive reaction. (which is ridiculous when you think of inflation, which happened last at the first Southsun event)
I don't think there's reason to despair just yet. I think we'll definitely be interested in what's on offer in the next couple patches.

Doesnt seem to be any champion zerg-farming going on in Frostgorge on my server. Perhaps it haven't catched on yet everywhere.
Where are the most popular champs in that zone? I went there to look but couldn't find much. Really haven't visited that zone alot before.
I haven't participated in the Frostgorge zerg at all, but I know from our scouting that there are quite a number of champs in the northwest quadrant of the zone.

edit: Hm. My performance has improved with this patch (I suspect effects LOD setting most likely) but load times are definitely notable.

Shanlei91

Well, that makes a lot of sense. I think we're the same kind of player (not particularly interested in the loot in and of itself in this kind of game at all), but it's impossible to ignore how much of the MMO community is the the type that says "why would I do this if it doesn't give me a good reward?" and the corollary of course "what gives me the most reward for the least effort?"

I've never been into rewards, outside of the Super Fun Box because glowy weapons are always a hoot to stock up on. It's also why I'm always up to join for Story Dungeons to help people out. Nothing to gain out of that other than fun times.

But the gameplay introduced in this last patch is so dumbed down that I feel like out of place compared to the rest of users going nuts over it. On the bright side though, I don't have to dedicate brain power while biking during gaming. I guess I'll reserve old man complaining until the next event update.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've never been into rewards, outside of the Super Fun Box because glowy weapons are always a hoot to stock up on. It's also why I'm always up to join for Story Dungeons to help people out. Nothing to gain out of that other than fun times.
And 50 silver now tho!!! ;)
But the gameplay introduced in this last patch is so dumbed down that I feel like out of place compared to the rest of users going nuts over it. On the bright side though, I don't have to dedicate brain power while biking during gaming. I guess I'll reserve old man complaining until the next event update.
Did you have any thoughts on the Gauntlet? I haven't tried it yet myself, but it doesn't sound like you can exactly zone out while making your way through it.

BTW, I'm pretty impressed with the tracking computer on the bike. I had no clue it had one when I bought it, lol

Shanlei91

And 50 silver now tho!!! ;)

Did you have any thoughts on the Gauntlet? I haven't tried it yet myself, but it doesn't sound like you can exactly zone out while making your way through it.

BTW, I'm pretty impressed with the tracking computer on the bike. I had no clue it had one when I bought it, lol

Haven't tried Gauntlet but it sounds right up my alley - interesting bosses with key mechanics you need to overcome. Thought Pavilion was that, but with groups...clearly wrong. :(

I actually stopped propping up the tracking computer because I never looked at it lol. Usually just play on the bike for an hour in the morning and hour at night. And there's a clock in front of me to time that :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Huhh, do you mean you actually detached the stock from the frame? If I just let it sort of sit not propped up, the pedals hit it for me

Shanlei91

Huhh, do you mean you actually detached the stock from the frame? If I just let it sort of sit not propped up, the pedals hit it for me

Do we own the same bike? For me there's two things you can prop (via a little bar): the bike seat itself and the cpu monitor. Cpu monitor never hits my pedals when its set down. It does look slightly awkward though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do we own the same bike? For me there's two things you can prop (via a little bar): the bike seat itself and the cpu monitor. Cpu monitor never hits my pedals when its set down. It does look slightly awkward though.
I bought it straight from your link! I'll try again. When I have it set down I noticed the pedals thwacking it. It would be handy sometimes though cause I'm not always interested in watching it, haha.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
this bike gaming has piqued my interest. What exactly is this thing of which you two speak?
Biiink

It's semi-recumbent! Controller is a must of course.

edit: Looking back at last night, I did Skipping Stones while pedaling. o_O Probably wouldn't have fallen so many times (I tell myself in shamed tones)

Lunar15

I feel like Anet has done a decent job of throwing a bone to both types of players in recent updates. Yes, the Pavilion may be a grind-based zerg fest, but the gauntlet is absolutely designed for players who want a challenge.

I don't disagree with you Kanik. I've thought much the same about the grind-heavy nature of the new champ update. However, I think there's more behind it than we think (or, at least I hope).

From the start of the living story, Anet's implemented several structural changes to how rewards are divided out in the world. A lot of it comes down to shifting rewards into separate chests that Anet has better control over. First it came through world events, which have now become more lucrative. The second was shifting specific rewards to specific champ families. Out of context, this just looks like they're adding more of a grind, which isn't untrue. However, now they have ability to create better in-world living story updates.

Last night we saw some of the very beginnings of this concept take shape. The new aetherblade assaults in various locations across the world are far better than the previous in-world attempts, such as the effigies. Now we have a story-relevant world event with scaling rewards. We got up to 5 champs out of just one Aetherblade Assault. Before, that would have been a nuisance. No incentive to search out this story content outside of the one or two instances they originally had. Now, it's exciting.

I'm definitely seeing more a coherent effort to make compelling in-world living story events. If we get the more permanent content they're talking about, now they have the tools to make it interesting for both lore crowds and gear-grind crowds.

Biiink

It's semi-recumbent! Controller is a must of course.

edit: Looking back at last night, I did Skipping Stones while pedaling. o_O Probably wouldn't have fallen so many times (I tell myself in shamed tones)

Well now I see.. this is all a health-oriented scheme to get more people to adapt your controller support!

More seriously I thought it had like a bracket for a monitor or something. Perhaps I could build something though. Hmm. Bookmarking for later consideration. Thanks!

Edit: Quick Amazon search yielded this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IV6MV6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Ignoring the fact that they use an elderly lady as a model, it seems something like this could accomplish a similar effect while allowing me to keep using my normal desk setup. Don't know if it will provide the same cardio effectiveness.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Edit: Quick Amazon search yielded this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IV6MV6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Ignoring the fact that they use an elderly lady as a model, it seems something like this could accomplish a similar effect while allowing me to keep using my normal desk setup. Don't know if it will provide the same cardio effectiveness.
I have one like this at work. as long as your knees don't hit your desk during use, it's functional. Obviously can't compare to a legitimate stationary bike but it's pretty than nothing and if you keep the resistance high you can still work up a nice burn.

Arcteryx

I don't have any problems with the new update content wise. Performance wise though.. what the hell happened? Guild Wars used to run really well now I am getting LAG everywhere.

hate it.

I think it's just all the people doing content/zerging around. It honestly feels like WvW at times with the amount of lag/culling going on. Frostgorge was absolutely NUTS last night; had like 50-60 people zerging 3 champions on ~3-4 minute timers and pretty much insta-downing them.

Rune of Tormenting might be worth it for P/D, P/P Thieves and Necros.

(1) +28 Condition Damage
(2) 15% Torment Duration
(3) +55 Condition Damage
(4) 15% Torment Duration
(5) +100 Condition Damage
(6) 15% Torment Duration and AoE 2 Stacks of Torment on Heal

Katoki

What cooling device are you using. Those are some really low temperatures compared to mine.

I think everyone gawking at his temps should ask again when he starts playing games. As of this posting right now, I'm getting similar temps because the computer was just turned on and I've been doing nothing but internet browsing. Now if it's about his temps while he's basically doing nothing then I can't really say anything about it but assume it's because of the new low power technology that's gone into the Intel CPUs .-.

Levyne

Banned
Right. That was just idle...I'm only using fans that came with the case and a hyper 212 for the cpu.

I just happy the fucking thing works..

If the post seemed a little too much "look at me" I apologize...in hindsight it seems a little tasteless

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

(1) +28 Condition Damage
(2) 15% Torment Duration
(3) +55 Condition Damage
(4) 15% Torment Duration
Outstanding for P/D Thieves running Malice or Withdraw. Hell, it's perfect for my Mesmer Control set, on which I'm currently just using the Rune of the Centaur solely for the 6 swiftness effect (it's also my default "getting around" and WvW set). Damn it all. Might be time to just switch out one of the offhands for Focus full-time and rely more on Far-Reaching Manipulations with Blink when getting around.

How tough is it to get the full set? It's really too good to pass up...

edit: Thought it was Shark Week.

Outstanding for P/D Thieves running Malice or Withdraw. Hell, it's perfect for my Mesmer Control set, on which I'm currently just using the Rune of the Centaur solely for the 6 swiftness effect (it's also my default "getting around" and WvW set). Damn it all. Might be time to just switch out one of the offhands for Focus full-time and rely more on Far-Reaching Manipulations with Blink when getting around.

How tough is it to get the full set? It's really too good to pass up...

edit: Thought it was Shark Week.

I mean crafting it will probably be a bit of a pain. I think it uses the new cog parts or whatever plus some t6 mats. Each Superior Rune was over 3g on the TP though.

Edit: Geek Week is Youtube.

So, I got a chance to play last night for the first time since the Jubilee started, I didn't even make it out of Crown Plaza, I just hopped in with the zerg that was event/destroyer farming. I got 4 lodestones in a very short timeframe... and TONS of greens/blues, I think it was the most effective farming I've done in this game in ages. But when I was skimming the last few pages I missed I saw some talk of 17g in 3 hours!? Was this from Frostgorge champion zerging? I can't read too in-depth at work, I kinda read this thread in 30 second intervals.

Proven

I can see what you're saying, but then I still had fun last night to a degree. The main reason being: good event scaling is not just about adding champions. It's also about adding more and more other enemies, especially enemy types that are strong on their own (Veterans) and those that put out debuffs to make everything more dangerous if not dealt with (to take an example from the Aetherblades we fought last night, the Grenadiers had vulnerability grenades, and there were a number of enemies that could stun you right next to the champion). One of the reasons I liked the Mad King realm during Halloween is that alone or with a ton of people, running through the place was a constant danger. The only time I got bored was when people gathered for the champion and its chest in the center.

I haven't done the Pavilion yet, but it sounds like it's not as fun. No matter what, putting just one boss without support will always be boring in an action game when he's massively outnumbered and outgunned.

(1) +28 Condition Damage
(2) 15% Torment Duration
(3) +55 Condition Damage
(4) 15% Torment Duration
I'm trying to decide between that and Runes of Perplexity for my own Mesmer.

Lunar15

Attention Jersoc:

Here's the dyesets my friend and I worked on based on the dyes you currently have:

The first one is bluish/purple, as you recommended. It skewed more purple due to the lack of deep blues. It should look dark on the actual material though. The second is a mountain/forest design. We almost literally based it off of a Bob Ross drawing of a mountain forest. The third is also a mountain/forest design, but winter themed. We saw the painting and were like "man that's sick, gotta do that one too".

Notes on how it's arranged: The model in the picture is my character, but the dyes on the side are yours. Each of the colors are arranged in the order that you'd place them on the armor set, and the letters/numbers represents the color/placement number. Example: br3 would be the third brown from the right in the first row of the browns. Note: If you've added more dyes since we made the arrangement, you'll have to account for that in the numbering.

Also, these are general guidelines. Dyes don't always end up looking like we think they will on certain materials, particularly on the fur, which ends up a little lighter. So just play around with it until you get the desired results.

Final reccomendation: Open up GW2 in a window, and have the dyes in another, both on the same screen. That makes it so much easier.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't done the Pavilion yet, but it sounds like it's not as fun. No matter what, putting just one boss without support will always be boring in an action game when he's massively outnumbered and outgunned.
There are tons of vets supporting the bosses, but there's just so much action that even though the bosses are tough and can wipe groups out, they're still essentially overpowered by numbers and there's just a lot of sensory overload trying to keep track of danger. I think you and I might enjoy the Pavilion a lot toward the middle of the month when it's not quite SO insane in there, and a little coordination could actually start to benefit the players.
I'm trying to decide between that and Runes of Perplexity for my own Mesmer.
Ohhhh, hm. On interrupt is an unusual proc, but 10 seconds is good. Is it just one stack though? That probably wouldn't be as valuable to me as reliable AoE torment every 15 seconds. Torment would be a really practical covering condition to add to my Mesmer's arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom