• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

gw2_heroic_packshot_2d_uk.jpg

wat

Lunar15

Aw man, didn't make the cut for the top ten in that fashion contest. :p

The finalists are great picks though. There's still the other categories too, so I guess there's always more chances!

Mxrz

Massively used to have such moderated comments. Sheesh. But yeah. It was similar with the first game. People used to rage hard over WoW vs GW. And so on. Thankfully assholes like those aren't attracted to the game, and yet its still successful. Once the new EQ hits, they'll all move on to bitching about it and so on. There's something about the genre that just attracts drama-queens.

Anyway. Thief nearly 80 thanks to the pavilion. I'd like to go high damage for Havok/wvw, but something about all berserkers is a little concerning.

Aon

After a few attempts of loading into WvW and deciding it was a ghost town, I finally caught onto the commander system. Having seen two other people up to this point, I was amazed when I saw a party of five cresting a hill.

Needless to say, once the full column of a hundred or so zergs had made it over that hill, I couldn't stop grinning. Reminiscent of Tarren Mill and Realm of the Mad God.

After a few attempts of loading into WvW and deciding it was a ghost town, I finally caught onto the commander system. Having seen two other people up to this point, I was amazed when I saw a party of five cresting a hill.

Needless to say, once the full column of a hundred or so zergs had made it over that hill, I couldn't stop grinning. Reminiscent of Tarren Mill and Realm of the Mad God.

Friday night is a good night to try it after the reset. I like WvW and it's even more fun with the gaf guild doing it.

Retro

those comments, lol

I make it a point to ignore comments, but I was shocked to see there are over 300 of them when the article was just posted last night at 9PM. Rabid Fanboys (of both varieties) were burning the midnight oil, I guess.

Me? I spent a very nice night running around Fields of Ruin talking to Jira and Lunar, finding a secret Order of Whispers hideout in Ebonhawk and getting my Guardian one step closer to 60 and unlocking Grandmaster Traits.

You know, playing the game instead of incessantly bitching on the internet. Maybe other MMOs would do better if their players spent less time blindly defending it on the internet and more time playing it.
1sm067roll8turv.gif

Aw man, didn't make the cut for the top ten in that fashion contest. :p

The finalists are great picks though. There's still the other categories too, so I guess there's always more chances!

That's some bullshit. You are officially GAF's Fashion Officer. You are hereby permitted to issue citations for people wearing bad outfits (Rottel is above the law though, don't mess with our Technicolor Asura) and bad dye cominations. Failure to change the offending pieces or dyes will result in a 30 day suspension from the guild.
Yes, I'm joking, but as far as I'm concerned you always have the best looking armor with the most thought-out dyes in the guild.

Lunar15

Armor's unoriginal, so I can totally understand not getting picked. (just wanted to submit those dyes) I see really awesome armor sets in the guild all the time. I just like dyes, doing armor isn't something I'm great at.

Anywho, this is the week, everyone. Hype city.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I started to get into doing Dunwell last night but the build I was following didn't seem totally reliable. The feeling of just loading up the gambits and throwing away the tickets rather that profiting isn't good, you feel like some hotshot sitting down at a blackjack table thinking he can count cards only to bust on the first hit. Still it's pretty motivating to tweak the build to suit my own style and be more reliably successful. More engaging than I find most repetitive sources of gold; there's more to it than "auto-attack" or "tag stuff." I certainly plan to toss a bunch more in and see what I can get before the impending nerf.
Well guys, you two made it to the official forums as well. God help us all.
0 Subscription Fees isn’t really a special note anymore lol. At this point I think more games have no-sub than do, and lets check opinions on F2P games as a whole. Buzzwords do get lots of attention though lol
wow

th3dude

How long do we have to get the queens achievements? Can't find the answer in game. I really want to do them all. About half way done.

Lunar15

Hey guys, remember all that stuff we did over the past year? Doesn't count. It was temporary so it never existed or something like that. You should ask for your money back because you were fooled into thinking you got a year of content.

Retro

Well guys, you two made it to the official forums as well. God help us all.

I actually responded to clarify why certain things were done the way they were. People think it's some misleading propaganda piece when it was intended as a quick, visual celebration of this insane first year (even though it doesn't really feel like it, it seems like it wasn't that long ago we were waiting in agony for the next BWE).

Since it's not discussing class balance, stats or anything controversial like that, hopefully it won't get too rowdy in that thread.

How long do we have to get the queens achievements? Can't find the answer in game. I really want to do them all. About half way done.

The gauntlet should be available until the 3rd of September. Not 100% sure on the Jubilee ones, but in the past they've always let the first update's achievements play out until the end of the month. If you need your balloon or torch, I'd do them before Monday just to be safe.

Hey guys, remember all that stuff we did over the past year? Doesn't count. It was temporary so it never existed or something like that. You should ask for your money back because you were fooled into thinking you got a year of content.

I look at it like a scrapbook of the previous year; if you went to Niagara Falls on vacation, would you not include it just because you're not there right now? I think people are still butthurt over the content being temporary, which while a little sad (I miss the Bazaar) isn't really a problem because other, bigger things have taken their place. Would people still be playing Dragon Ball or goofing off in the Bazaar after the Pavillion was active? Hell no, they'd be right where they are now.

And besides, most of the temporary stuff is either coming soon (SAB), next year (all the holidays) or coming back as fractals. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that... Even as a huge fan of the SAB, I know I wouldn't be playing it with all of this new stuff to do. And when it comes back it'll be exciting all over again.

th3dude

I actually responded to clarify why certain things were done the way they were. People think it's some misleading propaganda piece when it was intended as a quick, visual celebration of this insane first year (even though it doesn't really feel like it, it seems like it wasn't that long ago we were waiting in agony for the next BWE).

Since it's not discussing class balance, stats or anything controversial like that, hopefully it won't get too rowdy in that thread.

The gauntlet should be available until the 3rd of September. Not 100% sure on the Jubilee ones, but in the past they've always let the first update's achievements play out until the end of the month. If you need your balloon or torch, I'd do them before Monday just to be safe.

I look at it like a scrapbook of the previous year; if you went to Niagara Falls on vacation, would you not include it just because you're not there right now? I think people are still butthurt over the content being temporary, which while a little sad (I miss the Bazaar) isn't really a problem because other, bigger things have taken their place. Would people still be playing Dragon Ball or goofing off in the Bazaar after the Pavillion was active? Hell no, they'd be right where they are now.

And besides, most of the temporary stuff is either coming soon (SAB), next year (all the holidays) or coming back as fractals. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that... Even as a huge fan of the SAB, I know I wouldn't be playing it with all of this new stuff to do. And when it comes back it'll be exciting all over again.

Sorry. Might end sooner.

Thanks for the responses, will work on them today!

Complistic

0 Subscription Fees isn’t really a special note anymore lol. At this point I think more games have no-sub than do, and lets check opinions on F2P games as a whole. Buzzwords do get lots of attention though lol

tumblr_lv2nka9SWL1qm6bo1o1_500.gif

I'm starting to see why you guys read that forum now.

It's a disease.

If there is one thing I don't like GW2 then it is that they have an official forum. It does NOTHING for the game. Third party channels and outlets would be stronger without this hellhole that can only spread ignorance and stupidity into the actual game.

It's a disease.

If there is one thing I don't like GW2 then it is that they have an official forum. It does NOTHING for the game. Third party channels and outlets would be stronger without this hellhole that can only spread ignorance and stupidity into the actual game.

The garbage would just be more prevalent on the third party pages. The official forum allows them to control moderation as well as respond more quickly and accurately to relevant questions. It's also way easier for them to monitor without distractions while at work.

The garbage would just be more prevalent on the third party pages. The official forum allows them to control moderation as well as respond more quickly and accurately to relevant questions. It's also way easier for them to monitor without distractions while at work.

You think so?

I think people are just antagonized by it because there is such a place. It's a lot more extreme to sign up for fansites and babble crap.

Dec

It's a disease.

Developers respond there. Read Anet posts and the few good guides, ignore the rest.

You think so?

I think people are just antagonized by it because there is such a place. It's a lot more extreme to sign up for fansites and babble crap.

I know so. It also weeds out people who never bought the game since you need an account to post on the official forums. It's super easy to sign up to a third party forum with a throwaway email and troll away with doom and gloom QQ posts. As much bitching as there is on the official forums it would be way worse on 3rd party forums. Just look at what happens here on GAF when other MMO threads discuss GW2. Then remember that GAF has rules that are much more strict than most forums.

Jira

So obviously since this latest update there's been a lot more gold floating around. Now if this were something that was unintended in terms of the the amount of gold coming in per hour, I really don't think they would have let this go for nearly two weeks now. They would have nerfed it within 2 days for sure. So what does this mean? It means they've intentionally increased the amount of gold in the economy to drain it back out and here's how:

Crafting Taken to 500!

We’ll expand all crafting professions to allow them to reach a new milestone: 500 points!

At 500, crafters will be able to craft ascended weapons and armor. Once you reach 500, a new tier of crafting materials will be available to you; this new tier of materials will be made by combining lower tier materials. This tier is time-constrained, so each item can only be made once per day in order to help give high-level crafters their own economy of items to build and sell that retain their value and rarity.

It would not surprise me in the least to see large forms of gold sinks where the gold is destroyed from the economy in order to create some of the new Ascended materials. You'll also see the more lazy players just fork over the gold in order to buy T1-6 mats to combine into T7 ones and the TP fee will eat more gold. Some of that will change hands directly and of course eaten by the TP fee. So here's all this awesome new gold you've got in the past X amount of days and then the crafter's are going to sell the new materials for a hefty sum considering they're time gated. The people who can't wait will just buy up the mats to craft their new Ascended gear and bam there goes their nestegg.

Ultimately I could be very wrong but to me this is the only thing that makes sense. Thoughts?

The people who can't wait will just buy up the mats to craft their new Ascended gear and bam there goes their nestegg.
I've already blew through my 4 month-old nestegg yesterday gearing my newly-minted level 80 mesmer in exotics and ascended stuff. I just had to to make this. Problem was each ancient log cost me 1s30c, and I needed 9 stacks. Whee...

After trying, and failing, to farm earth elementals for onyx lodestones back in the day, I don't even want to think about Deadeye. Thank goodness my final alt isn't going to cost as much, skin-wise.

Jira

Yeah. Many of us agreed that 500 crafting's imminent arrival was the largest reason champ farming and the pavillion are as lucrative as they currently are.

Champ farming in particular is more about the material acquisition for those who don't want to just farm straight up gold.

Wallach

Ultimately I could be very wrong but to me this is the only thing that makes sense. Thoughts?

The problem is that the large surge in total wealth is condensed into less than a percent or two of the player base. John Smith already said a couple days ago that at that point the median of gold earned from the Pavilion event was 3 gold (which assumes tracking doesn't go lower than one gold).

Jira

The problem is that the large surge in total wealth is condensed into less than a percent or two of the player base. John Smith already said a couple days ago that at that point the median of gold earned from the Pavilion event was 3 gold (which assumes tracking doesn't go lower than one gold).

Yep, so really nothing has changed other than that the 1% have even more money. I mean personally since the last update I've accumulated gold faster than I ever have before but I'm not sitting there trying to farm endlessly all day. I do what I want when I want and if I don't get every piece of ascended gear the second that crafting update goes live then oh well I'll get them at some point. For me as long as I can obtain everything I want then I don't really care about how long it takes. I have thus far yet to run into an issue where I can't get something if I wanted it and I don't see that happening because of this.

Retro

Awesome Mission Make-ups today, sorry we didn't get the Challenge done, but 9 people trying to do the Supply mission would have been a waste of a waypoint. Really hope they make that one rarer in the future.

Bounty, Rush (thanks to AB) and Puzzle all went really well. Great work, guys.

jersoc

it is done. liadri has been slain!
the last fight was so close. luckily she had a silver left. had no CDs got downed and managed to finish her with in down state real fast.

omg, after 2 hours. feels good, man.

Awesome Mission Make-ups today, sorry we didn't get the Challenge done, but 9 people trying to do the Supply mission would have been a waste of a waypoint. Really hope they make that one rarer in the future.

Bounty, Rush (thanks to AB) and Puzzle all went really well. Great work, guys.

Sorry I had to bail, something came up. Congrats on the 3 you got done.

Something weird has happened to me this week. I played the FFXIV beta, and all it made me want to do was play GW2 again instead. Is this normal?

Retro

Something weird has happened to me this week. I played the FFXIV beta, and all it made me want to do was play GW2 again instead. Is this normal?

You know, a few weeks back we were wondering what happened to you, since you were on all the time back in the day.

Anyways, I'm sorry to say GW2 has ruined other MMOs for you. This is not unusual or unexpected.

Jira

Not really, it's a very common occurrence to miss many of the quality of life aspects that ANet has put into the game that the rest of the genre are simply missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom