• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things have become a bit more official tonight

1ijDwyt.jpg

Jira

Damn Lump either you uninstalled or haven't played in a loooooooonnnnngggggg time. You missed out on 15 updates thus far with the next one coming on the 20th. Be sure to jump into mumble to catch up with us. I need to hear John Travolta again.

Damn Lump either you uninstalled or haven't played in a loooooooonnnnngggggg time. You missed out on 15 updates thus far with the next one coming on the 20th. Be sure to jump into mumble to catch up with us. I need to hear John Travolta again.

Ohmagawd, that's a lot of updates to miss

TrounceX

Something weird has happened to me this week. I played the FFXIV beta, and all it made me want to do was play GW2 again instead. Is this normal?

Totally normal.

In fact, that same thing happened to me about a dozen times this past weekend. I am seriously about as big of an FF fanboy as you can possible be, and still I cannot get into that game. It's just so damn boring.

I would have probably enjoyed it more, however, if my friends and I could play together from the start. But no, that's impossible because your starting city is dictated by your class, not your race. So my friend wants to be a lancer and I want to be a gladiator... whoops too bad can't play with each other.

Well, not until level 15 when you get airship travel at least. But ya know, that's like 8 hours later after a dozen fetch quests and "kill x number of monster" nonsense that no sane human can stay awake through.

Seriously it's like SE knows nothing about modern MMO design at all. The game is going to fail spectacularly all over again, I'm sure of it.

Trey

I've confirmed recently that GW2's "duh" quality of life design has made it nigh impossible for me to try other MMOs.

Cels

did queen's gauntlet for first time today, got all the way to liadri. she's definitely as hard as advertised, plus i'm running on a really outdated setup so that seems to make her harder.

i don't have that much time to play these days so i guess the next time i play i'll try to do the gambit achievements since i haven't done any yet, except for the candle in the wind one.

Coverly

Finally got my first character (ranger) to 80 last night.
I've saved up around 30 gold till now, would have been more if I hadn't salvaged so much. Most of that gold came from farming the pavillion. I think I stayed a little bit too much in there. Sometimes I close my eyes and I can see the fallen icons from people and the red rings that caused them from that centaur boss.

Looking at the build that was recommended from this youtube:
Guild Wars 2 - DPS Ranger Guide

The guy says "Berserker armor with scholar runes". So basically buy the berserker set that is geared towards the ranger and then add scholar runes to all of them, right?

Levyne

Banned
Yes you apply one superior rune to each armor piece. They act as the "suffix" modifier. Superior runes of the ranger could also be a good rune set to slot.

Aquila

Finally got my first character (ranger) to 80 last night.
I've saved up around 30 gold till now, would have been more if I hadn't salvaged so much. Most of that gold came from farming the pavillion. I think I stayed a little bit too much in there. Sometimes I close my eyes and I can see the fallen icons from people and the red rings that caused them from that centaur boss.

Looking at the build that was recommended from this youtube:
Guild Wars 2 - DPS Ranger Guide

The guy says "Berserker armor with scholar runes". So basically buy the berserker set that is geared towards the ranger and then add scholar runes to all of them, right?
Ruby orbs are also a good substitute until you can get a full rune set.

Totally normal.

In fact, that same thing happened to me about a dozen times this past weekend. I am seriously about as big of an FF fanboy as you can possible be, and still I cannot get into that game. It's just so damn boring.

I would have probably enjoyed it more, however, if my friends and I could play together from the start. But no, that's impossible because your starting city is dictated by your class, not your race. So my friend wants to be a lancer and I want to be a gladiator... whoops too bad can't play with each other.

Well, not until level 15 when you get airship travel at least. But ya know, that's like 8 hours later after a dozen fetch quests and "kill x number of monster" nonsense that no sane human can stay awake through.

Seriously it's like SE knows nothing about modern MMO design at all. The game is going to fail spectacularly all over again, I'm sure of it.

I've confirmed recently that GW2's "duh" quality of life design has made it nigh impossible for me to try other MMOs.
I feel like I'm going to make the same mistake as my brief return to FFXI.

I want to like 14 and I'll get to be an actual mage playing it, but there's so many inconvenient features and plain flaws that I'll be paying a sub to experience. Fast travel requires way too many hoops to jump through, no on-demand auction house, atrocious maps, no guesting....

Short of Living Story, maybe I'll take a break from GW2 again to experience 14's world and story for a month or two. I've been playing the beta all day today... I'm done.

TrounceX

Yo Levyne, if it's not too much trouble can you throw me a good ranger build for WvW purposes?

Even a link to something you think would work well would be fine. I looked at some builds already but I'm lost.

I ask because I'm trying to get my friend into WvW, and he's loving it so far, but he's running a full berserker build and that just won't cut it (especially in t1). I think especially we need some stability on a short cooldown and some stun breakers to keep the heck away from the hammer trains.

Coverly

Ruby orbs are also a good substitute until you can get a full rune set.

Yeah I think I'll do that. I was able to buy the weapons and the armor set but I ran out of money before I could get the runes and trinkets. That's also give me time to get used to this new setup.

This weekend I respecced my engineer to focus around melee with the Toolkit weapon kit and pistol/shield. Mostly because I hadn't used that kit, and the idea of a melee engineer feels pretty perverse (this is the reason I have a lightning hammer build elementalist too!).

I didn't swap out any gear so I'm still PVT WvWvW gear (although with Zerker weapons, since I did swap those).

It's pretty fun - sometimes feeling stunningly awesome, but also sometimes feeling terribly weak in PvE (I'm not coping well with lots of adds, but can solo/duo some champions with little effort). Some of that is that I have toughness and vitality rather than precision+crit which means my damage is less than awesome.

Because I went for rocket boots to fix my loss of mobility I don't have any condition removal which is a problem, for example in the burning bits of the Queens pavilion.

I do like that combined with rocket boots, I sorta have my beloved SWTOR PowerTech tank back. I can pull things (although god that's buggy in GW2 - I have a general gripe with the "path" skills in this game(1)), and I can leap to things (although this is not targetted) and run around them short-ranging them to death.

So I like it but I don't think it's OMGWTF over-powered - might even be a little weak. The advantage of having lots of characters is that this isn't really a problem. I can smack things with wrenches FOR FUN. Other characters can do things for the loots.

The other thing that's happened is that my other sister started playing a couple of weeks back. This means my enormous guild which consists of only family members now has THREE MEMBERS. Unlike my youngest sister this is her first MMO and it's fun watching her learn stuff. We all tend to run around helping her level, chatting on Skype and it's great that all three of us can play together, at roughly the same level despite the fact that our characters are 80 and hers is 40ish. It also is a good excuse to spend more time in the middle level zones, something a lot of players seem to ignore (if I'm feeling tired and playing by myself I like to go on a long trek from one end of the world to the other on foot which is great fun). I think for new MMO players, GW2 is a lot easier to learn than other MMOs. The fact that I don't need to explain loot rolls or trinity or other stuff makes this work pretty well.

I bring this up because my melee engineer did work very well this weekend as a sort of pseudo tank to sop up the damage being done, particularly since my youngest sister brought her ele in water atunement.

--
(1) So many skills that use pathing teleports are terribly broken by even the smallest lump in the ground in this game. I first ran into this seriously on my mesmer's sword 3 which is terrible. Sure, action MMO, whatever. The fact that toolkit 5 cannot be relied on when you have clear line of sight is terrible. I miss my PowerTech's grappling hook. :(

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
During the course of trying to do Liadri my wireless keyboard broke and my treasured Logitech Rumblepad 2 now presses down on the joystick continuously. The controller, which I am most comfortable with, now goes for $104 on ebay/amazon. Wtf.

I switched to a 360 controller and got XPadder (paid $10 before realizing there was a free version). It feels really awkward.

But here's a question to 360 controller users: what settings do you have in Xpadder for mouse emulation? On my Logitech-emulation software the mouse movement on the right stick was flawless. I'm finding that the 360 controller is jerky, far less precise, and all over the place. Deadzones? Sensitivity? What are you guys using?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn Arken's hole in one was impressive. With a charr no less.
During the course of trying to do Liadri my wireless keyboard broke and my treasured Logitech Rumblepad 2 now presses down on the joystick continuously. The controller, which I am most comfortable with, now goes for $104 on ebay/amazon. Wtf.

I switched to a 360 controller and got XPadder (paid $10 before realizing there was a free version). It feels really awkward.

But here's a question to 360 controller users: what settings do you have in Xpadder for mouse emulation? On my Logitech-emulation software the mouse movement on the right stick was flawless. I'm finding that the 360 controller is jerky, far less precise, and all over the place. Deadzones? Sensitivity? What are you guys using?
Err well, here are mine.
jxA8APJYRhVSP.png

Feels really good to me. You'll probably have to mess with them to get it to a point you like best.

Sorry Liadri broke your keyboard.
TrounceX said:
Jeez. I'm sure there is some sort of justification available for this (I have a vague recollection of it being sort of charming in other, older games)... but I don't think there's any I would accept. In GW2 you can play with other people immediately at level 1 even if you are in different starting cities. On launch night, I played with over 20 different gaffers all over Tyria. There was never any question as to whether or not this would be possible, and I'd never trade those experiences for more "realism" or whatever other design constraint enables you to keep new players from meeting up as soon as they like in good conscience.

Hyunashi

So is it tonight (aka about nowish) that we normally get more details on the next patch? Pumped for a significant LS update but hoping new legendaries/500 crafting are introduced (one can dream).

Retro

Yikes, Wildstar was pushed back into 2014 (it was supposed to launch Q4 this year) and they announced they're Subscription-based (but you can buy and trade game-time similar to EVE Online). Reading the GAF thread on it, it's like watching a dying flower get trampled by a big boot. Unless they abandon the sub, I'm gonna have to predict it as dead on arrival... pity.

So is it tonight (aka about nowish) that we normally get more details on the next patch? Pumped for a significant LS update but hoping new legendaries/500 crafting are introduced (one can dream).

Given how tight-lipped they've been with details on the Queen's Speech, I don't think they'll give the press much to work with, or allow the embargo to end early. Their update page mentions a Livestream for today in the header, but the actual description says Tuesday.

If you're staying up for news, I'd just go to bed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Normally yes; well, normally about 5 hours from now we have basically ALL the details. But this is not a normal patch. They're releasing very little information intentionally.

They might be doing a Livestream at 3pmEST/12pmPST. I'm rather curious as to what this could possibly show (if it is today).

On the feature front legendaries and 500 crafting are probably coming in September though.
Yikes, Wildstar was pushed back into 2014 (it was supposed to launch Q4 this year) and they announced they're Subscription-based (but you can buy and trade game-time similar to EVE Online). Reading the GAF thread on it, it's like watching a dying flower get trampled by a big boot. Unless they abandon the sub, I'm gonna have to predict it as dead on arrival... pity.
Yeesh.... what in the. Man. :(

I guess I get why they might want to attempt EVE's underused financial model, but they're such different kinds of games...

Hope the update page gets Scarleted some more today...it would be a really long day if nothing is teased today. We need something more to speculate about.

Retro

Hope the update page gets Scarleted some more today...it would be a really long day if nothing is teased today. We need something more to speculate about.

It's dead news-wise. MMORPG has a little editorial about the game being a year old, but it's short and doesn't contain any new information (or any information at all really). Even Reddit is quiet.

It's like the calm before the (speculative) storm, it's crazy how festive and eager everyone is for news at this point for other updates, but everyone seems to just be waiting in silence for this next one. I've been trying to keep my hype in check, but it's kind of eerie how we haven't heard anything. That means ArenaNet doesn't want to give anything away, the leaks are plugged, even the dataminers are sitting back and saying "Nope, we're not saying anything."

It's dead news-wise. MMORPG has a little editorial about the game being a year old, but it's short and doesn't contain any new information (or any information at all really). Even Reddit is quiet.

It's like the calm before the (speculative) storm, it's crazy how festive and eager everyone is for news at this point for other updates, but everyone seems to just be waiting in silence for this next one. I've been trying to keep my hype in check, but it's kind of eerie how we haven't heard anything. That means ArenaNet doesn't want to give anything away, the leaks are plugged, even the dataminers are sitting back and saying "Nope, we're not saying anything."

You think there will be more changes to the update page today?

I'm kinda hoping the page gets messed up even more and on Tuesday when the update goes out the page is totally black and it includes even more features that they have not announced.

Retro

You think there will be more changes to the update page today?

I'm kinda hoping the page gets messed up even more and on Tuesday when the update goes out the page is totally black and it includes even more features that they have not announced.

I believe Jira talked to Colin in-game and he confirmed that there won't be any more information added to the Release page. Whether there's more vandalism leading up to the release, and what they add after, I can't say. But they're playing this one really close to the chest and it's kind of exciting to think why.

Levyne

Banned
I saw a banner ad on another site for the upcoming trial weekend.

Yo Levyne, if it's not too much trouble can you throw me a good ranger build for WvW purposes?

Even a link to something you think would work well would be fine. I looked at some builds already but I'm lost.

I ask because I'm trying to get my friend into WvW, and he's loving it so far, but he's running a full berserker build and that just won't cut it (especially in t1). I think especially we need some stability on a short cooldown and some stun breakers to keep the heck away from the hammer trains.

Heh. I feel slightly under qualified to answer this, but I will do what I can..

Traited 30 into Marksmanship and slotting Signet of the Beastmaster along with Signet of the Wild is essential, imo. The damage increase is nice (+25% for you and your pet), but it's also one of your only sources of stability. I feel like mention this one skill more than anything else, but I guess everyone has their favorites. In a large group you can also slot Rampage as One for another source but in a smaller group something like Entangle is probably the better option.

Funny you should mention "going all berserker" because I often do that lazily as well. At least I don't bother to change out to knights or something in larger groups but I've been more careful about that recently in some of the dwindled super-late night "zergs". Usually if I do this I'll slot "Protect Me" (on a drake) and Signet of Stone for 12 seconds of invulnerability, which is a nice band-aid and keeps me upright even in the berserker armor. Protect me also serves as the stun break in this set.

In a smaller group I'd grab Renewal Signet instead of Protect Me. It would be your stun breaker in this case and is also basically a group mulligan for condition spam if you time it right.

Large group I'd go Longbow (traited to 1500 range) and axe/warhorn. The range is essential and is good single target damage from far away, super fun to down slowpoke runners or burst down someone from atop a wall, the axe is nice for indiscriminate tagging, and warhorn has your swiftness and blast finisher. In a smaller group I'd drop the longbow and either slot a greatsword or sword (or both). Greatsword, sword, and dagger offhand all have weapon evades so the more you have access to the better off things tend to be.

Also. Put at least 5 points into Wilderness Surivival. I'd also go with 10 points into nature magic and trait 6 for easy protection and regen on a surprise attack.

Um. Hopefully that's a start..

Crazy in-lore theory that Jenna will reveal:

Humans found a bloodstone inside or just under the Great Collapse. This is what powers the coloseum and the watchknights. This would also explain why the aetherblades are involved, a bloodstone is an extremely powerful artifact that has effects on its surroundings.

Lunar15

12 hours to go, though it'll probably be closer to 19 before we see anything happen.

I won't see anything happen till I get home from work tomorrow, so BLEH.

Also, we should probably implement a spoiler rule on tomorrow's info. I'm going to try to avoid this thread tomorrow, but a little courtesy would be nice. I want to go in as blind as possible.

Retro

I won't see anything happen till I get home from work tomorrow, so BLEH.

Also, we should probably implement a spoiler rule on tomorrow's info. I'm going to try to avoid this thread tomorrow, but a little courtesy would be nice. I want to go in as blind as possible.

I was actually waiting until the top of the next page (in 2 posts...) to comment on that. I think as a general rule we should spoiler tag any detailed discussion of the patch; ArenaNet went to great lengths to keep things a secret, GAF should be able to do it for a few hours. Any kind of plot or lore discussion should be spoiler tagged for sure... patch notes too, since that probably gives a bit away. Usually people ask for the patch notes to be posted, maybe we should pass on that this time.

Lunar15

I was actually waiting until the top of the next page (in 2 posts...) to comment on that. I think as a general rule we should spoiler tag any detailed discussion of the patch; ArenaNet went to great lengths to keep things a secret, GAF should be able to do it for a few hours. Any kind of plot or lore discussion should be spoiler tagged for sure... patch notes too, since that probably gives a bit away. Usually people ask for the patch notes to be posted, maybe we should pass on that this time.

I'm assuming there will be a blog post tomorrow... but I wonder how much they're going to spoil before people log in? God, I'm so curious.

TrounceX

I saw a banner ad on another site for the upcoming trial weekend.

Heh. I feel slightly under qualified to answer this, but I will do what I can..

Traited 30 into Marksmanship and slotting Signet of the Beastmaster along with Signet of the Wild is essential, imo. The damage increase is nice (+25% for you and your pet), but it's also one of your only sources of stability. I feel like mention this one skill more than anything else, but I guess everyone has their favorites. In a large group you can also slot Rampage as One for another source but in a smaller group something like Entangle is probably the better option.

Funny you should mention "going all berserker" because I often do that lazily as well. At least I don't bother to change out to knights or something in larger groups but I've been more careful about that recently in some of the dwindled super-late night "zergs". Usually if I do this I'll slot "Protect Me" (on a drake) and Signet of Stone for 12 seconds of invulnerability, which is a nice band-aid and keeps me upright even in the berserker armor. Protect me also serves as the stun break in this set.

In a smaller group I'd grab Renewal Signet instead of Protect Me. It would be your stun breaker in this case and is also basically a group mulligan for condition spam if you time it right.

Large group I'd go Longbow (traited to 1500 range) and axe/warhorn. The range is essential and is good single target damage from far away, super fun to down slowpoke runners or burst down someone from atop a wall, the axe is nice for indiscriminate tagging, and warhorn has your swiftness and blast finisher. In a smaller group I'd drop the longbow and either slot a greatsword or sword (or both). Greatsword, sword, and dagger offhand all have weapon evades so the more you have access to the better off things tend to be.

Also. Put at least 5 points into Wilderness Surivival. I'd also go with 10 points into nature magic and trait 6 for easy protection and regen on a surprise attack.

Um. Hopefully that's a start..

Slightly under qualified hah. You're too modest.

So yeah, that's a good start. Thanks a ton. We'll work from there tonight and do some testing. From the looks of it, there really is no "catch all" build for every situation (I'm so used to this being a guard), so there will be a bit of an inherent learning curve as far as approaching different situations go. At least we'll get the traits sorted out now and try out some of those skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom